Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 02:50 PM   #796
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne033 View Post
I always do the time option as opposed to the distance option. To me it feel easier knowing I am done in 30 seconds rather than another 500 yards.
Thanks. I run on a track so for me it's easier to go by distance (number of laps) than bring a timer with me and keep resetting it.

Last night I completed Week #4, Day #1 (3rd attempt at it, lol). It was tough though. I honestly thought I was going to puke doing the last 1/2 mile (sorry!)

I'm already dreading going back to the track on Thursday, lol. I'm a lost cause. I think I'm going to stay at Week #4 for a couple of weeks at least until it's not quite so hard to accomplish. I don't want my running time to become a "dreaded" time.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee

Currently reading: #29 The Art Forger

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #797
ashmarie06
DIS Veteran

I started today! And it wasn't that bad. Of course it was the first day! I love reading all your inspirational stories! Any tips for someone just beginning?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 07:38 PM   #798
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashmarie06 View Post
I started today! And it wasn't that bad. Of course it was the first day! I love reading all your inspirational stories! Any tips for someone just beginning?
Congrats on getting going! C25K is a great way to start running. Some weeks may seem harder than others, but it does get easier and the pay off in the end is sooooo worth it!
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
ColleenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #799
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

Ugh. I'm stuck! I cannot get to that 26 minute marker. 20 minutes is still tough, so after that I am just done. I have decided to "quit" C25K and go it alone from here on out. Today I ran 20 minutes straight and then switched to distance. After the 20 minutes, I walked to complete the lap I was on and then walked a 1/4 mile on top of that. Then I ran for 1/2 mile and then walked for 10 minutes. My hope is that doing that exact run all week will make the 20 minutes easier. Depending on how I am feeling I might try for 26 next week or maybe just do a 21 minute run then the 1/2 mile and work up the 30 minutes slowly.

The good thing is that I keep going back. I have not run so many days in my life!

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Raenstoirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:08 PM   #800
wdwpluto
The TF looked all over but couldn't find the dollar under your pillow?? ;)
Ebay-ing our way to WDW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenstoirm View Post
Ugh. I'm stuck! I cannot get to that 26 minute marker. 20 minutes is still tough, so after that I am just done. I have decided to "quit" C25K and go it alone from here on out. Today I ran 20 minutes straight and then switched to distance. After the 20 minutes, I walked to complete the lap I was on and then walked a 1/4 mile on top of that. Then I ran for 1/2 mile and then walked for 10 minutes. My hope is that doing that exact run all week will make the 20 minutes easier. Depending on how I am feeling I might try for 26 next week or maybe just do a 21 minute run then the 1/2 mile and work up the 30 minutes slowly.

The good thing is that I keep going back. I have not run so many days in my life!
How fast are you running? Maybe try slowing down a bit and see if you can run longer. That's what got me over the edge, so to speak.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:51 PM   #801
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Or try Jeff Galloway's method. His training plans work on doing intervals. It is just a matter of finding what ratio works for you. Maybe start with a 1:1. So run one minute, walk one minute. If you google Jeff Galloway, he has a conditioning plan that lots of Disney runners have used to get ready for his half marathon plan. I think he also has a 5K and 10K plan. It might help you break that 20 min mark and go further. Good luck, just keep working at it. You WILL get there!
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
Old 10-09-2012, 12:48 PM   #802
Raenstoirm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenG View Post
Or try Jeff Galloway's method. His training plans work on doing intervals. It is just a matter of finding what ratio works for you. Maybe start with a 1:1. So run one minute, walk one minute. If you google Jeff Galloway, he has a conditioning plan that lots of Disney runners have used to get ready for his half marathon plan. I think he also has a 5K and 10K plan. It might help you break that 20 min mark and go further. Good luck, just keep working at it. You WILL get there!
I was doing the "ease into 5K" C25K program. W7D1 is jog 20- walk 3- run 5 (which I beat after a few tries). W7D2 is a solid 26 straight and it is kicking my butt!!

Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Old 10-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #803
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Give the intervals a try. Having even just a 1 minute walk break every few minutes can make a huge difference. There are tons of people who do whole marathons using Galloway intervals. I'm doing the full at Disney in January and was planning on running the whole thing (except for stopping for pictures) but the higher mileage is not going well. I'm making the switch to intervals so I'll see how it goes. As long as you are moving you are making progress and still ahead of those still on the couch!
Old 10-10-2012, 05:28 PM   #804
Raenstoirm

Colleen you won! I did a little research on your runDisney guy and I was impressed, so I broke down and bought his timer. Maybe his plan can fix me!

Old 10-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #805
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Colleen you won! I did a little research on your runDisney guy and I was impressed, so I broke down and bought his timer. Maybe his plan can fix me!
Check out the runDisney.com web site. Jeff's training plans for the half marathons and full are on there. The key is finding what interval works for you, so play around with it. There are tons of people who do the Disney races using intervals! Good luck! Let me know how it goes!
Old 10-13-2012, 11:08 PM   #806
SkipperJ
Earning My Ears

Just finished week 3 today. I've discovered the hard way that I've been wearing the wrong shoes for my feet. I've had progressively worse shin splits for the past week and a half, and because of that I've been having 2 or even 3 days between some of my runs, so I'm a little behind. Luckily I was able to order some new shoes today that should be a lot better for me. Next week I think I'm going to take a "break" from the program and just run 1 mile every day to give the shoes (and my feet) a little break-in period. And then on to week 4! Week 3 was a little harder than I expected, so hopefully these changes will help keep me progressing.

I've also started playing a game with myself. Each week I have to have run more miles than the week before (not always the case if you just go by the timer on the C25k app). Week 1 I did 4.7 miles, Week 2: 5.5 miles, Week 3: 6 miles. I had to do some intervals after the timer told me I was done, but it felt good to push myself a little farther.
SkipperJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:50 AM   #807
contempory4me
Mouseketeer

week 2 is going well!

I have finally stopped the excuses. I work full-time, have a busy family life and am in a doctoral program. My excuse was that I would wait until after the doctoral program was over to tackle the weight loss. Then it became apparent that if I waited any longer, they would be rolling me up to get my diploma like the girl in Willy Wonker! I have lost 15lbs and my daughter was recently accepted into the Disney College Program so now I have 2 big motivators-look good at graduation and be in shape for my Disney vaca this spring. So far so good, I can complete the "runs" (actually "wogs") and feel pretty good. I use my iPod with Nike+ to log the stats and listen to a podcast for the timing. Any other tips that you all have found to be helpful?

Kate
Old 10-16-2012, 11:23 PM   #808
jiminy.cricket
Disneyphile Extraordinare

I can't believe I got past Week 3! I'm almost finished with Week 7 now! It's getting dark early but the weather's still above frigid so I'm taking a flashlight with me. It does feel a bit strange. I'm running 25 minutes consecutively now, and my knee occasionally aches a bit, but I'm giving myself plenty of rest between runs and I'm a bit slow. I'm "supposed" to be completing 2.5 miles in 25 minutes but I'm completing 2 miles in 25 minutes. This is still working for me, though. Time will improve with...time... In the meantime, I'm looking for programs to follow after C25K! Never thought I'd make it to that point! I found a 10K program that I intend to start, and then a Half-Marathon program after that, by Jeff Galloway. I'm excited! I just may be ready for a half-marathon by next May! That's still quite a ways away, though.

I found a neat app that my friend uses called Map My Run.
jiminy.cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:57 AM   #809
medicjch
Mouseketeer

I just finished week 7! I'm wondering.....what does anyone do when you finish? I guess I could start some of Jeff Galloway's other stuff, but I'm not sure I want to do a half. At the moment, I think I'll be happy if I can just run a 5K in a decent time. I did my own run/walk program for a month before I started C25K and I did have to repeat a week. I don't know if I will ever consider myself a runner..........I still think it is a pain to get myself on the treadmill........but I'm doing it, and it looks like I'll finish the program next week. I am a little worried that I have a trip to WDW coming up in Dec (I know, how can I say that I'm worried about that?) and I'm afraid I won't continue my training that week and "fall off the wagon" so to speak. Good luck to everyone that is doing this program. I keep telling myself that no matter how slow I may go sometimes, the fact that I am off the couch is a HUGE step in the right direction!
medicjch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 07:46 PM   #810
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicjch View Post
I just finished week 7! I'm wondering.....what does anyone do when you finish? I guess I could start some of Jeff Galloway's other stuff, but I'm not sure I want to do a half. At the moment, I think I'll be happy if I can just run a 5K in a decent time. I did my own run/walk program for a month before I started C25K and I did have to repeat a week. I don't know if I will ever consider myself a runner..........I still think it is a pain to get myself on the treadmill........but I'm doing it, and it looks like I'll finish the program next week. I am a little worried that I have a trip to WDW coming up in Dec (I know, how can I say that I'm worried about that?) and I'm afraid I won't continue my training that week and "fall off the wagon" so to speak. Good luck to everyone that is doing this program. I keep telling myself that no matter how slow I may go sometimes, the fact that I am off the couch is a HUGE step in the right direction!
The app I used for C25K had a follow up called Bridge to 10K. You could try that if you want to increase your distance. If you keep running 3 times a week leading up to your Disney trip you will be ok if you miss one week. You will have enough of a base that it shouldn't affect you. Plus you will be doing lots of walking while at the World! You are definitely lapping everyone still on the couch! Way to go!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: