Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 02:11 PM   #1456
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post
Hi folks! I have been catching up on this thread and saw some news about the GF Spa.

When I booked my trip last week for July, 2013, our TA said that the spa would still be closed.

Just thought that I would pass that along.
That is so intersting, Gina. It conflicts with the info posted in another thread saying it would reopen under Disney management and that they hoped to be open by the holidays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBagFanatic View Post
Hey lady. Oh way too fast. My DH is on the Disney web site right now looking at dates for next June at the GF for just the three of us. We also talked about bringing John with us in 2014 for their HS graduation and stay at Michael's favorite, The Poly as a big surprise instead of bringing John with us next summer. I think Michael would really enjoy that better. He likes the GF but has always loved the Poly even though we never stayed there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINDATHEPOOH View Post
I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong area but can anyone explain why they are getting rid of the deep end in the courtyard pool? The only resorts I was aware of that had a pool with a deep end were the GF and the Poly. My husband is 6'3" and although I would never cancel my reservation to the GF just because of the pool depth I am curious why it's being done after all these years. Thanks for any answers!!
It certainly is a trend isn't it? The original activity pool at the Polynesian had a truly deep section....10 or 12 feet deep. My oldest is still boycotting the Polynesian pool although I think that has more to do with the new volcano slide vs the original and much more charming (in our opinion) shorter slide. My guess for making pools shallower is for safety/insurance issues but it's just a guess.

Speaking of room decor, who besides me can't wait to see the villa decor?
Old 10-06-2012, 02:40 PM   #1457
CoachBagFanatic
My two Shiba babies :-)

Location: Somewhere between here and there!! Just as long as there is a Coach store in the middle I am happy :) Love the Dropkick Murphys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonet View Post
Thank you!
Woohoo It's been years for us too and we are really excited. I just created a countdown ticker too.
I bet you all are very excited and I am excited for you. It will be here before you know it.

k&a&c'smom I thought you would get a kick out of the I am already packed comment. Trust me my mind is already packing for me.

Thanks BCV23 I know I said we weren't going back to the GF until 2014 but we just cant keep ourselves away any longer. Besides, the Poly for a surprise graduation trip for Michael is

We are booked in a GV room so I was wondering if the Big Pine Key is a great building for this view. It doesn't matter to us how far the main building is as we like to walk anyway. I was looking at the Sago Cay building and I don't think I would like to be in one of the rooms that face the monorail. Any thoughts? TIA

Last edited by CoachBagFanatic; 10-07-2012 at 11:21 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 11:32 AM   #1458
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

BCV23 - Interesting about the Poly themed pool. I didn't realize it had ever been 10-12 feet deep, did they have a diving board? Seems like the photo you posted of the old baby pool had a board next to it, if I recall. I can see why your DS is still disgusted.

I'm sure you are right about the liability issue, but as has been discussed in the past, anyone can drown in a small amount of water. Doesn't seem like a couple feet will help in that regard, but maybe insurance companies have a cut off. So many resorts are going to the wading pool vs. swimming, it seems. Phooey.

Yes, I am looking forward to seeing the rooms for the villas!

CoachBagFanatic - LOL about the packing, it did make me laugh.

For a garden view, I hesitate to suggest Big Pine Key due to the number of rooms that look directly into the back of the courtyard pool house. If you get a higher room, it's not an issue (see photo below of a 4th floor room in that area), but if on floor 3 or below, it's not a pretty view.

I would highly recommend Boca Chica, even though some of the rooms in that building also have a pool building view. Or my favorite, Conch Key! Lovely views there of either the pool or marina, and so close to everything.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 10-07-2012, 11:37 AM   #1459
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Here are the photos of the Big Pine garden view, forgot to post them in my last message.
Looking left toward main building

Over the pool house, toward Sugar Loaf

Looking right toward Boca Chica

Further right, you can see the lagoon between Boca and Big Pine
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Old 10-07-2012, 11:56 AM   #1460
CoachBagFanatic

Location: Somewhere between here and there!! Just as long as there is a Coach store in the middle I am happy :) Love the Dropkick Murphys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
CoachBagFanatic - LOL about the packing, it did make me laugh.

For a garden view, I hesitate to suggest Big Pine Key due to the number of rooms that look directly into the back of the courtyard pool house. If you get a higher room, it's not an issue (see photo below of a 4th floor room in that area), but if on floor 3 or below, it's not a pretty view.

I would highly recommend Boca Chica, even though some of the rooms in that building also have a pool building view. Or my favorite, Conch Key! Lovely views there of either the pool or marina, and so close to everything.

Oh thanks so much for the advise and the pictures. Yeah, we wouldn't be too happy looking at the pool house. We didn't even think about Conch Key and I am going to add that building request to my ressie. Thanks again k&a&c'smom
Old 10-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #1461
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh thanks so much for the advise and the pictures. Yeah, we wouldn't be too happy looking at the pool house. We didn't even think about Conch Key and I am going to add that building request to my ressie. Thanks again k&a&c'smom
Love Conch key! We had a view of the Monorail and so close to boat launch! If I knew how to post a picture from my iPhone I would..
Old 10-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #1462
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You're welcome! Conch Key is a great location, love being able to walk out the back door to Gasparilla's or the marina, as well as being near the boat dock, courtyard pool and Narcoossee's.

As you can probably see from the photos, Boca Chica only has about 6 rooms that look at the back of the pool house. The rest have lovely views of the courtyard and main bldg. We loved our room there on the 4th floor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflygirl35 View Post
Love Conch key! We had a view of the Monorail and so close to boat launch! If I knew how to post a picture from my iPhone I would..
Did you have a view something similar to this one on the top floor?
Looking at Gasparilla's, marina

End of Sago Cay, monorail behind it

Monorail

Looking right toward the MK (hidden by the end of Conch Key building)
Old 10-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #1463
Jungle Cruiser
DIS Veteran

Hi all! Just trying to catch up. Came back from 2 weeks at WDW with a couple of health issues so I haven't been on the DIS.

k&a&c'smom, I owe you a PM. Will send one soon, but the internet at the BC (much like what we found in SL at the GF) was spotty at best! Did anyone post about a crazy lady walking around the lobby a couple of weeks ago, first the lobby at the BC, then the YC looking for a strong internet signal with her iPad? That was me. I LOVE LOVE LOVE WDW, but have to say this free-wifi is a huge let down. My DH would rather have the option of paying $10 a day for the old hook-up!

Hope everyone is well. Going to read through the posts in the next day or so. I'll be back!!!
Old 10-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #1464
CaliforniaDreaming
#1 Grand Floridian Fan/Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCV23

Me, me, me! I think they said a Fall 2013 opening? If so, I'll try to get a villa for December 2013.

Have we heard anything about models opening at the SSR DVC Sales Center? I was hoping to be able to see them this month!

k&a&c'smom - nice pictures! Never had the pool view from BPK so its nice to see (we've had the TPV and the lagoon view facing the Polynesian). And I've had that view from Conch Key - it's one of my favorites!! I love seeing the monorail across the water. I think I'm actually starting to like the garden view more than the lagoon or theme park view. Seeing the resort grounds really gives a special feeling.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:36 PM   #1465
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Did you have a view something similar to this one on the top
Very similar - 4th floor. It was gorgeous!!!! My son got excited every time the monorail would pass by!!
Old 10-08-2012, 06:53 AM   #1466
CoachBagFanatic

Quote:
You're welcome! Conch Key is a great location, love being able to walk out the back door to Gasparilla's or the marina, as well as being near the boat dock, courtyard pool and Narcoossee's.

As you can probably see from the photos, Boca Chica only has about 6 rooms that look at the back of the pool house. The rest have lovely views of the courtyard and main bldg. We loved our room there on the 4th floor.
That's what we saw as well in your pics of Boca Chica. So if we request a higher floor we should be ok. But I do love the location of Conch Key though. I think we may have a winner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Cruiser View Post
Hi all! Just trying to catch up. Came back from 2 weeks at WDW with a couple of health issues so I haven't been on the DIS.

Hope everyone is well. Going to read through the posts in the next day or so. I'll be back!!!
Welcome home and I hope you are feeling better today. Hope your trip to WDW was a great one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflygirl35 View Post
Glad to hear there is a another Conch Key Lover.

I am still trying to figure out how to post pics from my iPhone also. I normally email them to myself from my iPhone and then I post them that way. One day I will figure out how to do it. Sometimes, I feel bad for my DS16 as I am always asking him how to do things when it comes to my cell phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCV23 View Post
I totally missed this the other day. Yes, we are extremely excited to see the villa decor as well.

Do you and anyone happen to know if these new 1 bdrm villa's will have 2 bathrooms like BLT does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreaming View Post
I think I'm actually starting to like the garden view more than the lagoon or theme park view. Seeing the resort grounds really gives a special feeling.
We are starting to feel this way as well. We have always had a TPV or lagoon/pool view no matter where we stay but our way of thinking is starting to change. I do understand about the special feeling you get just looking at the grounds from our balcony. This is why we do feel that Conch Key will be a great location for our stay next year.

Last edited by CoachBagFanatic; 10-08-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:05 AM   #1467
pas130
DIS Veteran

junglecruiser

hello to all my GF buddies Sugarloaf became available with the AP rate for next month...I am taking my 3 daughters for our 1st MVMCP....alas my HRH (DD8) wants to try Poly CL...so I resisted....I was not an easy feat

JungleCruiser*Sarah,forever in my heart*
Old 10-08-2012, 08:13 AM   #1468
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle Cruiser View Post

k&a&c'smom, I owe you a PM. Will send one soon, but the internet at the BC (much like what we found in SL at the GF) was spotty at best! Did anyone post about a crazy lady walking around the lobby a couple of weeks ago, first the lobby at the BC, then the YC looking for a strong internet signal with her iPad? That was me. I LOVE LOVE LOVE WDW, but have to say this free-wifi is a huge let down. My DH would rather have the option of paying $10 a day for the old hook-up!

I hear the wifi at the parks is good...

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Old 10-08-2012, 08:42 AM   #1469
KonaKaiTom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
In 13 painfully long days we will be checking into GF -- we are requesting Conch Cay and our first choice and Sago as our second --- I will let you know what we get and how spectacular the view is!

Tom
Old 10-08-2012, 08:57 AM   #1470
CoachBagFanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas130 View Post
hello to all my GF buddies Sugarloaf became available with the AP rate for next month...I am taking my 3 daughters for our 1st MVMCP....alas my HRH (DD8) wants to try Poly CL...so I resisted....I was not an easy feat
Hey pas130 You are a funny lady. How exciting for the SL and you and your DD's first MVMCP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaKaiTom View Post
In 13 painfully long days we will be checking into GF -- we are requesting Conch Cay and our first choice and Sago as our second --- I will let you know what we get and how spectacular the view is!

Tom
Ah, 13 more days until you check in. How exciting. I am looking forward to hearing about which spectacular view you get. As I have said many times before, I would stay in a broom closet at the GF.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: