Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #16
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPrincess View Post
WBTA=West Bound Trans Atlantic
Thanks!
Old 10-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #17
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by truck1 View Post
Another option is that they are going to do prep work like gutting Topsiders, on the return to the US and have her dd somewhere either in Freeport or BAE Systems in Va. (Her last dd was in Freeport. A deal could have been worked out with the yard over the issues that arose from her last dd there)If she goes directly to either of the above,empty shed save at least a day in port offloading guests. Plus gives them a 4 day head start on the demo of the old with out interfering with guests onboard.This is just a guess on my part. It all depends on what DCL has planned for the ship. The people in the know, are the people shoreside in Celebration. The Capt and cheng might know, but thats about it shipwise.
Just a guess, but I don't think they plan to use the shipyard in Freeport again. Rumors are that they weren't very happy with the situation there.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #18
MDTerp
Mouseketeer

I thought I heard somewhere (prob here on Dis) that because this will be a long dry dock, the Magic will return to Fincantieri where she was originally constructed. That would rule out a dd on the East Coast/Carribean.

October 2007 - Western Caribbean - Disney Magic
September 2009 - DVC SSMC - Disney Wonder
September 2010 - DVC SSMC - Disney Wonder
July 2011 - 10-Day Mediterranean - Disney Magic
April 2012 - 5 Night Double Dip - Disney Dream
November 2012 - Bahamas - Disney Dream
March 2013 - Mexico/Castaway Cay - Disney Wonder
February 2014 - Bahamas - Disney Magic
October 2014 - 3-Day Repo Castaway Cay - Disney Magic
December 2014 - New Year's Eve - Bahamas - Disney Wonder

DVC Member Since 2007 - AKV, BLT and BWV
Trips to the World...2001, 2003, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Aulani - 2013
MDTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:00 PM   #19
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDTerp View Post
I thought I heard somewhere (prob here on Dis) that because this will be a long dry dock, the Magic will return to Fincantieri where she was originally constructed. That would rule out a dd on the East Coast/Carribean.
Rumors abound. I've heard Fincantieri, Venice, Spain, etc. There is little doubt that it is somewhere in the Med area based on the Madeira and Gibraltar port dates. Guess we'll all just keep waiting......
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #20
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

When do you think they will announce what they are doing to it?
Old 10-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #21
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Just a guess, but I don't think they plan to use the shipyard in Freeport again. Rumors are that they weren't very happy with the situation there.
Anything is possible. Money talks. We were on the first cruise of the Magic out of Freeport and I noticed a bunch of things that should have been taken care of in drydock. From electrical outlet plates in the rooms not being replaced( the wires were exposed,) to open holes in the balcony railing not being fixed, to primer literally globed on and left. From talking to the stateroom host supervisor, he was telling me of a lot of the behind the scenes stuff that was wrong with the dd that the contractors caused in areas that werent even supposed to be touched. BUT, knowing Disneys legal beagles, I wouldnt be surprised if she did go back at some point at an extremem reduced rate.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:54 PM   #22
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDTerp View Post
She doesnt necessarily have to go back to Fincantieri. Any drydock in the world that is big enough to handle the ship can do the job. The 4 major factors are, what yards have space available when DCL is looking(keep in mind that almost all of her sailing certificates will expire in Oct of 2013) where that yard is located in relation to where the ship is going to be in the time frame that DCL is looking at, and most importantly, whats the price tag, and what contractors can DCL bring with them. When the Magic class went to BAE systems in Va, DCL apparently had a problem with paperwork (immigration hoops to jump thru)on some of the contractors that they wanted to use, so the next go around the ship went to Freeport which had less restricitve work paperwork to fill out.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:06 PM   #23
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

When I think of 1st class mechanical work being done as quickly & efficiently as humanly possible, Nassau is not a place that would come to mind. Just saying...
DCL ought to know that cheapest doesn't mean best.
Old 11-18-2012, 02:01 PM   #24
clairedy6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
Years ago, I sailed on the Magic on the last cruise before a dry dock.

During that cruise, there was lots of prep-work done onboard, such as laying plywood on the floors and lining the elevators with plywood.

Woody
Uh oh, does that mean that there's going to be tons of construction and things closed during our cruise?
clairedy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:22 PM   #25
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairedy6

Uh oh, does that mean that there's going to be tons of construction and things closed during our cruise?
I hope there is no prep work going on in July. That will make me sad ( and a little mad )
tajz90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #26
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Since all of the Med cruises sail from Barcelona, it makes sense for them to drydock in Cadiz, Spain, rather than travel the other direction to Italy.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #27
mickeyfan1
Come and let me show you my tatoo
Let me drive you crazy.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
When do you think they will announce what they are doing to it?
It is rare that they will say what they are doing. I think it is a wonderful surprise.
mickeyfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #28
cwdefouw
DVC Member since 1999

All recent rumours since August have been pointing toward Cadiz, Spain for the 6 week Dry Dock, with any final work being done while they are sailing back to Miami with no guests on board. They may still decide to embark guests for the Transatlantic sailing, but at this point, IMHO, I don't think that will happen.

cwdefouw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:29 AM   #29
BoosGram
Better than a candygram....I tink, therefore I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody73 View Post
Years ago, I sailed on the Magic on the last cruise before a dry dock.

During that cruise, there was lots of prep-work done onboard, such as laying plywood on the floors and lining the elevators with plywood.

Woody
Our experience w/pre-drydock cruises includes a lot of painting and carpets being ripped up, too.

BoosGram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:06 AM   #30
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoosGram

Our experience w/pre-drydock cruises includes a lot of painting and carpets being ripped up, too.
How far in advance of dry dock did you sail?

For the $$$$ we are spending in July, I hope there is no pre-construction. I'm loyal to Disney, but that right there may run me off!
tajz90 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
disney cruise, disney magic, dry dock, renovations

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: