Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 04:41 PM   #31
sager1969
Mouseketeer

What a little cutie! Thanks for sharing. Enjoying your details.
BLT - 3/2012; Dream/BWV - 6/2012; Magic - 10/2012;
ALK - 3/2013; Aulani - 6/2013; DVC Dream/AKV - 10/2013; Christmas Dream/WL - 12/2013;
AKL - 3/2014; Wonder - 6/2014; ABD Backstage magic - 7/2014
sager1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #32
donaldseeyore
Missing Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariel1025 View Post
How exciting!! What cruise will you be sailing?
We will be on the Wonder out of Miami the 2nd of Feb It will be the kids first cruise and we decided to take them on the ship that started it all for us....

I am loving your pictures and your family photos turned out so well! I am looking forward to those photo oportunities a lot, also considering the last child child to get a professional photo done was kid #3 LOL

Countless trips to WDW @ AKL, AKV, Pop, WLV, BCV, BWV, SS, OKW, POR
Wonder 01/03/10 - 01/07/10
Wonder 09/12/10 - 09/16/10
Wonder 02/02/13 - 02/07/13
donaldseeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 06:52 PM   #33
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Loved the update!

The family pictures are really nice!

Dinner sounds great! I like that Sorcerer Mickey walked through the restaurant!
amandaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:51 AM   #34
Wanna be Ariel
DIS Veteran

Just got caught up! I love it. I can't wait to hear about Key West. It is one of fav places to go

Many Trips Before DS
Sept- Poly CL (DS 1st Trip & DH B-Day)
May- AK Jumbo/SSR (DS B-Day & 1st FG and SWW)
Nov/Dec-AOA,BLT,WL (DS 1st MVMCP)
Wanna be Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:04 PM   #35
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

So many cute pictures of James in that update! What a little doll he is!

Odd that they told you in the show that NO pictures were allowed, when we cruised last year pictures were allowed as long as you didn't use a flash. Seems like their rules on this change all the time. I notice it in the shows at WDW too, sometimes it's ok and sometimes it's not
Old 10-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #36
ariel1025
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvEeyore View Post
Great update!!
Thanks for continuing to read, even though it's taking me forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by sager1969 View Post
What a little cutie! Thanks for sharing. Enjoying your details.
Thanks so much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldseeyore View Post
We will be on the Wonder out of Miami the 2nd of Feb It will be the kids first cruise and we decided to take them on the ship that started it all for us....

I am loving your pictures and your family photos turned out so well! I am looking forward to those photo oportunities a lot, also considering the last child child to get a professional photo done was kid #3 LOL
Ahhhh, Disney Wonder! Love her! She started it all for us too

Wow, #3? How many kids do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Loved the update!

The family pictures are really nice!

Dinner sounds great! I like that Sorcerer Mickey walked through the restaurant!
Thank you! Thank you! Dinner really was great. I know a lot of people complain about the ship food, but we have had very, very few complaints ourselves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanna be Ariel View Post
Just got caught up! I love it. I can't wait to hear about Key West. It is one of fav places to go
Key West, coming up next

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
So many cute pictures of James in that update! What a little doll he is!

Odd that they told you in the show that NO pictures were allowed, when we cruised last year pictures were allowed as long as you didn't use a flash. Seems like their rules on this change all the time. I notice it in the shows at WDW too, sometimes it's ok and sometimes it's not
Thank you so much

Yeah, in a future show they didn't make the same announcement so I think it most definitely varies. But, I spend so much time behind my camera that it was nice to have no choice but to set it down
ariel1025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:20 PM   #37
ariel1025
DIS Veteran

Key West Day: Part One

Hey everyone, sorry for the delay. I've been working a lot of extra hours - great for the checking account, sucky for my Dis time In addition, James is cutting his canine teeth, which I'm here to say is 10 times more miserable than molars!! Of course, I guess it doesn't help that he's getting 3 all at once! My poor bubby Now I've been hit with my first head cold of the season. So what better to do when you can't breathe, need a kleenex every 30 seconds and can't keep your eyes from watering? Why, update about Key West and pretend you're there of course

We were awoken slightly earlier than planned when our room phone rang at about 9:15 a.m. It was the Manager from Palo contacting us about a message we had left them the night before. See, when we planned our trip we had asked that our reservations be linked together for dining purposes. We had intended for it to be meant for the main dining rooms. However, I wasn't really clear about that so when we both made Palo reservations (same night, different times) they merged them both together onto the earlier time slot.

Now, I love my parents and they love us, but we were hoping to be dining at Palo separately for several reasons. One, we were celebrating our anniversary and wanted to do that alone. Two, we wanted a later slot so that we had time to feed Cinco dinner at his normal time. Three, my parents were excited to have a romantic, fine dining, dinner together for the first time in years ... alone!

When we got the call from Palo they were very pleasant and understanding and let us know that it was fixed back to the original times no problem. They also apologized for the mix-up. For the record, we weren't upset and didn't blame them, we were just hoping to get it switched back.

After all that was sorted out we decided to just lounge in bed relaxing until our alarm clock went off since James was still snoozing away. In our bed. He had woken up in the middle of the night and we were worried about him waking other people up so instead of encouraging him to go back to sleep in his pack 'n play we just put him to bed with us. Where he fell back asleep instantly.

When the alarm finally did go off, at 9:45, I jumped in the shower and asked Candi to start pulling out everything we needed for the day. This was super easy for him since all Cinco's stuff was in a ziploc marked "key west" and I had hung our clothes in the order I planned on wearing them. Still, it was one less thing to worry about doing when I finished getting ready for the day.

When I got out of the shower Cinco was awake and Candi said he had been crying for me. I went over to ask him what was wrong and he wrapped his arms around me and gave me a big kiss before crawling off to explore. I guess he just wanted his morning snuggles!

Once everybody was ready I went next door to see if my parents wanted to join us for brunch. They weren't quite done getting ready so we agreed to meet in the buffet at 11:00. The buffet was your normal offerings, nothing spectacular, but nothing horrible. We opted to dine inside versus out which totally changes the ambiance thus my liking for the buffet But, it was "free" food and it served it's purpose.

After we had our fill at brunch we headed back down to the room so we could grab our day bag and stroller as I didn't feel like lugging it through the buffet with us earlier. We still had a little time to kill before we could disembark so we relaxed out on the verandah until the announcement came on.

Once we docked it didn't take too long for them to announce the all clear and we were off the ship at around 12:15 p.m.

We had originally planned on buying our excursion tickets prior to leaving, but with the major forecast for rain we decided against it. We weren't choosing a Disney offered excursion and buying beforehand would have saved us about $3 a person. Totally not worth it if we didn't end up doing it though.

So, as we disembarked I told my Dad the name of the company to look out for in case it was hard to find. It was not. In fact it was right on the pier, one of the first stands, on the right side. Old Town Trolley Tours.

This same company is offered through Disney however it is quite a bit more pricey and it doesn't offer hop on/hop off privileges. So, for the first time ever, we purchased our excursion independently.

The guys selling were very nice, not at all pushy, and our transaction was complete in less than 5 minutes. My Dad was ahead of us so I stood behind him and he ended up paying for everyone. Not my intent, but I was thankful nonetheless. With our tickets purchased we got directions to the pick-up spot (Mallory Square, Stop 1) and made our way over there. We weren't sure how long it took to walk over there, or how long it was round trip on the trolley so we slightly hustled with plans of sightseeing near the pier at the end of the day.

Once we found the pick-up point they let us know that the next trolley would be leaving in about 15 minutes and pointed to the right one for us.

With some time to spare we all ducked into a souvenir shop, full of typical touristy stuff - shot glasses, t-shirts etc. I wasn't interested in anything so I made my way back out and saw that the trolley was already filling up so I gathered everyone to board so we wouldn't have to wait for the next one after that.

Pretty much right on schedule the trolley driver loaded up, made the standard safety announcements and we headed off. Our plan was to ride all the way to the Southernmost Point where we would get off and then come back around and hop back off at stops that sounded interesting along the way. We knew there was no way we would have time to do everything so it would become a majority vote what stops we did utilize on the second trip around.

I have to say, I really enjoyed our tour guide we had, she was laid back, funny and full of facts. I'm sure they utilize a script, but it didn't feel like she was just reciting something to us. She was very into her job and you could tell she was comfortable enough with her information to ad lib along the way Between that and the beautiful scenery it was a very enjoyable ride to the first stop we hopped off at.

I thought this was both, humorous and awesome!

Someone was getting very sleepy

One thing I should point out is that it was HOT that day. The trolleys are open air, thus no air conditioning, so without any wind you felt pretty sticky right away. They did pass out those little paper fans to everyone as you were boarding and let me tell you, everyone was using them

Once we made it to the Southernmost Trolley Stop (#10 out of 12) I noticed that Cinco was still fighting his sleep, but more concerning, was looking overheated. We all had water bottles on us that we all utilized, including him, but he just didn't look right and my Momma worry started setting in.

As we made our way down the street and towards our destination I saw a sign for an ice cream shop and knew we needed to make a stop in there

I was hoping a vanilla ice cream and new (ice cold!) bottle of water would help things out. When I reached into my bag to pull out the money to pay I spotted the pedialyte I had brought. Score! Make that two bottles of water please.

The pedialyte I brought was the powder kind in individual packets (like crystal light packs). These were awesome and I would pay the high price for them all over again. Highly recommended if traveling with a little one!

Once I got out of the ice cream shop I knew that James was definitely not feeling well. This boy will eat ice cream all hours of the day and he didn't was refusing every bite I offered. So, instead of heading out to take pictures we all stopped in the shade for a few so I could coerce to take some bites as well as drink some "flavored" water for me ...
Old 10-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #38
Mickcruiser
Earning My Ears

Hopping on the ride. I've been a lurker for a while so I made an account. Enjoying your TR.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:20 PM   #39
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

Glad they got your Palo reservations fixed! Like you, I would have thought that linking them would be for the main dining room only - good to know that is not the case!

Isn't Key West pretty? I've been twice, once on a girl's trip and then again this summer when our cruise ship stopped there. I love it.

You've got me worried about James, hope he feels better once he cools down!
Old 10-15-2012, 01:55 PM   #40
amandaw
DIS Veteran

Loving your pictures of Key West. I would really love to go there one day.

Poor little James.....I hope it was nothing serious & that the Pedialyte helped.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #41
TinksMomma
Mouseketeer

Loved your updated! And I love that you mentioned the dry packets of pedialyte! I'll have to look for them. 2 weeks ago in WDW we had a hard time getting DD to eat and I was constantly worried she was dehydrated! I'll have to find these!
Old 10-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #42
ariel1025
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickcruiser View Post
Hopping on the ride. I've been a lurker for a while so I made an account. Enjoying your TR.
Thanks so much for reading along

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl View Post
Glad they got your Palo reservations fixed! Like you, I would have thought that linking them would be for the main dining room only - good to know that is not the case!

Isn't Key West pretty? I've been twice, once on a girl's trip and then again this summer when our cruise ship stopped there. I love it.

You've got me worried about James, hope he feels better once he cools down!
I was surprised about Palo as well; especially since we made 2 separate reservations that were over an hour apart

Key West was so much prettier than we had pictured it. We were a little bummed that we traded in an extra Castaway Cay day for it ... until we got there!

I can honestly say this was the first time since James was a week old (and lost over a pound in 2 days!) that I had to remind myself to stay calm, refrain from going into panic mode, and follow my gut on what to do to help the situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandaw View Post
Loving your pictures of Key West. I would really love to go there one day.

Poor little James.....I hope it was nothing serious & that the Pedialyte helped.
Key West was so beautiful and calming to look at!!

James had us all so worried and though we tried to hide it I think, perhaps, he could sense it and attributed to his initial reaction to the water/ice cream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinksMomma View Post
Loved your updated! And I love that you mentioned the dry packets of pedialyte! I'll have to look for them. 2 weeks ago in WDW we had a hard time getting DD to eat and I was constantly worried she was dehydrated! I'll have to find these!
The dry packets of Pedialyte are awesome!! I found ours at Target, in the formula aisle, right next to the regular bottles of Pedialyte. They are in a little blue box and look strikingly similar to a box of Crystal Light. They were about double the price, but totally worth it IMO
Old 10-18-2012, 01:29 PM   #43
ariel1025
DIS Veteran

Key West Day: Part Two

Thankfully, there were plenty of buildings lining the street where we were, so it was easy to find a shaded area to try to cool down James. He was not at all interested in taking even a teensy bite of ice cream or drink of pedialyte so I tried pulling out all the stops. "mmmm this ice cream is good, can Momma have a bite? Mmmm, look Daddy loves water" etc as we each took a bite/drink. He couldn't care less and started to get more irritated when I offered him some. At this point I was getting super worried as he was clearly overheating but wasn't sweating and I could tell his mouth was completely dried out by the way he kept smacking his lips together.

Trying to stay calm and not show my concern I just started "barking" orders to my family. I told Candi to go inside and get a straw, asked my Dad to pour some of the water onto the napkins we grabbed and handed off my stuff to my Mom to hold. While they did that I pulled James out of his stroller, thinking perhaps the heat was worse in there since air (what little there was) couldn't circulate well in there. Then I took the napkins my Dad wet down and put one under James' hat and held one on the back of his neck. Needless to say he was none too pleased and started screaming at me. Right about that time Candi came back out with a straw and I did the whole "fill the straw with liquid" thing and opened James mouth and slowly released the water. I knew he had two choices - swallow it or spit it out.

Thankfully he swallowed it, though not very happy about it. After a few sips of water I grabbed the ice cream, put a little bit on the spoon and just put it in his mouth. He immediately used his tongue to force it out, which caused some of the ice cream to get into his mouth. From that point on I couldn't spoon the ice cream fast enough for his liking. Finally!

In all I think we spent 15-20 minutes standing there with him, but it definitely felt much, much longer. After he ate some more ice cream and drank about half the bottle of pedialyte I noticed him starting to improve and felt ok enough to go about the rest of our tour.

I should also note that we bought (and used) a fan that attached to his stroller in an effort to avoid these types of situations. However, the fan didn't really blow cold air. It more just circulated the air outside and directed it towards James. Since there wasn't a breeze and the air was so humid the fan did nothing to help the situation.

Now that James was starting to improve he made it very clear that we had taken him out of the stroller and he hand no interest in getting back in So, we all walked along to take the super, duper touristy picture of the Southernmost Point. That really isn't the Southernmost Point. But had an enormous line so everyone could say they were at the Southernmost Point. That really wasn't. I digress

Since we could see that the line was super long and slow moving we took our time walking over there and took in our surroundings. Key West is so, so beautiful. I love the bright colors and flowers that you see everywhere!

Since we weren't very far at all from where the line began it didn't take too long to make our way over there. As long as the line was it did move pretty quickly. Each person simply wanted a picture of themselves in front of the "landmark" and kindly moved on. And most people were even nice enough to take a picture for the people in front of them It felt very much like waiting in line to meet the characters at WDW!

Soon enough (10-15 minutes?) it was our turn. Wahoo! Our turn to prove we've been to the Southernmost Point. That isn't ... oh wait, I was gonna let that one go huh

Hmmmm, maybe the shortest person should have stood on the elevated ledge instead. Oops!

So, as much as I kid I actually think it's pretty cool to say we have been there. And, in fact, I was the one that rallied to take the trolley all the way to this stop first to ensure we had time for it.

A very small portion of the line of people still waiting

Once we had our photo op we had no other real interest to do anything else and all agreed we should go to the trolley stop and start hopping off for other fun adventures.

"Ooooohhh, wat dat DaDa?"

Still hot but doing much, much better!

Even though his face is blocked I love that you can still see his great, big smile and how much fun he was having

On the way back to the trolley stop we made another stop in the ice cream shop. More bottles of water for everyone and a couple of milkshakes to share. Even with the pit stop it still took less than 15 minutes to walk back to the pick up point.

When we arrived we were the only ones there, but since we didn't recall seeing a trolley drive by figured there must be one coming shortly. We had been told they ran every 20ish minutes, so we stood there hoping to be able to secure a seat on the next one that showed up. After a while another family showed up, but there still wasn't any sign of a trolley. James started to get antsy so we took turns standing with the stroller while the rest of us walked around and played with him.

After another 10 minutes or so we saw a trolley coming so I waved my parents over and started folding down the stroller. When the trolley pulled up only a couple people got off and the driver let us know he only had 4 or 5 seats available. Perfect - James lap sits anyway!

Oh, except, wait! One of the other two families at the stop with us pushed right past us and boarded the trolley. Ummm, what? Ok, so I get it, we were kinda "saving places" in the line while others played with James. But, we had clearly been there before they arrived and one of us had always stayed put with the stuff. Well, no need to make a scene. It won't help anything and we heard the driver calling for back-up at this stop. Let it go Shannon, let it go. Then I heard the Dad from that family griping at the driver and other people on the trolley that all 4 seats weren't together and it wasn't right that they couldn't sit together. Aggghhhh, I was so irritated. I wanted to scream at him "no buddy, what isn't right is that you cut in front of us to get on that trolley." Ahem, let it go Shannon, let it go

Moving on.

Within 5 minutes of that trolley pulling away another one did pull up and there was room for all of us waiting, including a couple more people that walked up after the previous trolley left. Oh, and we all got to sit with our families. Score!

The plan now was to ride back around and hop off at a stop to grab some lunch ....
Old 10-18-2012, 08:53 PM   #44
amandaw
DIS Veteran

So glad James started doing better! I love all your pictures around Key West...I really do want to get there one day.

As for that rude family getting on the trolley first....! But, it sounds like it worked out better for y'all....getting to sit together & all!
Old 10-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #45
SoonerGirl
DIS Veteran

So glad James started to feel better! You can totally see his big smile on the one picture where the rails were blocking his face, so cute!

Crazy how busy it was at the Southernmost Point. I wondered what it looked like down there when there was a cruise ship in port. When we went there was only about 2 or 3 other groups there! One of the benefits of going when there wasn't a ship in port I guess, or it could've been because it was November and not as busy a time of year - either way, we didn't have to wait for a picture

Oh, I don't know that I would have been able to keep my mouth shut when that family stepped in front of you to get on the trolley first, they knew you were there before them! People like that really irritate me

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: