Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast > Power of 10 - DIS Events to Benefit GKTW
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #31
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

We have a few back-up venue locations on the list. Does anyone else have connections with a firehouse or other location we could use? We were originally trying for the Bridgewater Marriott, but that fell through. Bridgewater is definitely a perfect location as it is centralized so I agree, Lois.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
Old 01-02-2013, 09:51 AM   #32
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

Whenever plans get more solid, I would love to help out with this, too!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #33
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShesAPirate View Post
Whenever plans get more solid, I would love to help out with this, too!
Thanks! We are just waiting to hear from Linda. She was working on getting a venue squared away when we were all hit with Sandy. Any news, Linda?

Follow Me on Twitter

2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
Old 01-04-2013, 08:18 PM   #34
parrotheadlois
DIS Veteran

I'll definitely do what I can. We're going to Aulani for basically the first half of March which will limit my time. I was wondering if you thought about doing a tricky tray type of thing instead of a silent auction. I think it would keep the attendees more engaged (I love hoping I'll win something!!). I'd love to help!!! I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:08 PM   #35
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheadlois View Post
I'll definitely do what I can. We're going to Aulani for basically the first half of March which will limit my time. I was wondering if you thought about doing a tricky tray type of thing instead of a silent auction. I think it would keep the attendees more engaged (I love hoping I'll win something!!). I'd love to help!!! I'm looking forward to seeing everyone again.
We did a Tricky Tray when we did our NYC meet this past August. It was a lot of fun and it definitely gets everyone into the action! Love the idea!
Old 01-06-2013, 08:51 AM   #36
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

We have done similar things in the past and found them very successful. I love this idea!

I haven't heard from Linda, but she may very well be busy. Does anyone have connections for a venue? It seems as if ours has fallen through.

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 01-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #37
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
We have done similar things in the past and found them very successful. I love this idea!

I haven't heard from Linda, but she may very well be busy. Does anyone have connections for a venue? It seems as if ours has fallen through.
What kind of venue are we looking for? Like a Knights of Columbus-type hall, or a restaurant or something else entirely?
Old 01-06-2013, 05:21 PM   #38
parrotheadlois
DIS Veteran

My daughter works in Bridgewater and with people who live in the area, she'll ask around.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #39
parrotheadlois
DIS Veteran

I heard back from my nephew and my daughter. She is waiting to hear back from another friend. Here are the suggestions they had:

A place we often go for work functions is the Maggiano's (chain) near the Bridgewater Mall. For groups less than 20 I've always sat in long tables which were in the main dining room (which is loud). One of his wife’s cousins recently had her graduation party there though which was very nice and had its own room (there are several rooms there for such functions). Good Italian food and great appetizers there.

I also recently attended a Christmas party at a restaurant called "Alfonsos" at 99 West Main Street, Somerville, NJ 08876. It too was mostly Italian food and also very good. They had an upstairs room that we used. They might actually have more than one, not sure. The place is apparently very popular although I've only been there once. Note: Somerville is next to Bridgewater.

Some bigger rooms I can think of that I've been to events at:
- Elks Club
- Green Knoll Fire House
Restaurant options…
- Stony Brook Grill (stoneybrookgrille.com) (north branch)
- Café Picasso (Somerville)
- Maggiano's (might be expensive)
- Green Knoll? (There is a room to the right when you walk in)
- Chimney Rock

Hope this is helpful!
Old 01-07-2013, 02:18 PM   #40
ShesAPirate
DIS Veteran

I would guess Maggiano's will be costly. I've attended work functions there, too, as well as just going for dinner, and it's pretty expensive and definitely loud. Just my 2 cents, but a local place would probably be more affordable and friendlier I don't know, just a thought! I'll be there no matter where it is
Old 01-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #41
parrotheadlois
DIS Veteran

The Elks and the Firehouse look really nice.

Alfonso's looks nice, holds 80 people. I'm sure we don't need a venue that holds more than that.
Cafe Picasso looks nice too!

so it all depends what everyone is thinking of,

would have to get a caterer for the firehouse, and clean it up afterwards.

The Elks provides food, "intimate" room holds 150.
Old 01-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #42
*NikkiBell*

DISboards Moderator

Any venue is something we can consider. Linda did look into Maggiano's and it was booked for the dates we were looking at in the spring. Perhaps we should revisit the dates and try again?

Linda, Matt, and I were thinking it'd be nice to make this a two day event and, with Maggiano's being right across the street from the Bridgewater Marriott, it would be convenient for people to stay over.

I live five minutes from Maggiano's and know the area pretty well. Green Knoll might be another option; I didn't even think of it. Is anyone available to make some phone calls to find out costs and availability? It's next to impossible for me to do so because I'm teaching all day.

Follow Me on Twitter

Old 01-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #43
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

Hi everyone!
Sorry I have been AWOL, but life has been hectic!!!

I was working on a venue when, as Nikki said, Sandy hit, then snow, then Thanksgiving, then PCC4.0, then Christmas and New Year's!! Plus a little thing called "my job"!!! Whew- it's 2013 already!

I have a little time tomorrow to start investigating again.

Maggiano's was fine for a Friday evening dinner- but not for our whole day event.
The hotels cost too much money- we're trying to do a fund raiser after all!! Plus they require that you also purchase/cater all the food from them- so even more money.

I prefer a venue like a fire house or Elks Hall or KoC. If they have a kitchen- all the better. We can cater in, keep things warm. And of course we'd need set up and clean up crews for such an event.

The plan was to do this over the course of a weekend. One day is fine for people who just want to do that. But to entice people to travel a little- we are hoping for a group rate on a local hotel, a group dinner on Friday evening with some fun games or auction. Then Saturday would be the Main Event- activities to be decided. On Sunday a breakfast/brunch and maybe another small activity or local sightseeing.

There are more ideas in 'the pot'- and of course it goes without saying that all ideas are welcome to be thrown in and help put together a great event to raise LOTS of money for GKTW.

But my main focus is for the money people spend to go primarily toward GKTW, and not for expensive meals and hotel rooms.

I love the venue ideas being shared. Keep them coming. And if anyone has personal contacts we could work through- all the better.
I will attempt to find and contact Green Knoll fire House and the Somerville Elks- and other similar places in that area.

I will do my best to be more present here on the boards with updates.

We were hoping for a date in mid-late April, so as to be after the Easter rush, but before it gets too close to the end of the school year.

Anyone have any other ideas? Please share here...

Old 01-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #44
parrotheadlois
DIS Veteran

Hi Linda!

Website for the Green Knoll Fire Company:

http://www.gkfc.org/

website for the Elks:

http://www.somervilleelks.com/parties.html

Cafe Picasso:

http://www.cafe-picasso.com/parties.html

While I'm able to make some phone calls at work, the problem becomes that answering the phone is also part of my job, and I might be in the middle of a discussion and have to put the person on hold for a bit. But if no one else can do it, as long as you tell me the info I need to get, I could do it.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #45
wdwscout

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrotheadlois View Post
While I'm able to make some phone calls at work, the problem becomes that answering the phone is also part of my job, and I might be in the middle of a discussion and have to put the person on hold for a bit. But if no one else can do it, as long as you tell me the info I need to get, I could do it.
Thanks Lois- that's a huge help!
I am working at home tomorrow, with only one planned phone conference at 11. So I should have time to make calls tomorrow (fingers crossed).

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: