Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 03:01 AM   #1156
4monkeys
Mouseketeer

I was so excited to sew a skirt for my niece and some shirts.. I wasnt quite able to finish and post. Allison was admitted to the hospital again tonight! Please keep her in your prayers! Happy sewing. I love to see everything, it brightens my day
4monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:13 AM   #1157
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Here is the camera strap cover I made.....my husband said it looked like a sweat band....!!

[IMG][/IMG]

I am very pleased with it
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 08:02 AM   #1158
pyrxtc
Married 10-5-02
The inside of the Tangled clothes are not that pretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jockey View Post
Here is the camera strap cover I made.....my husband said it looked like a sweat band....!!

[IMG]

It looks great ! I haven't even started mine yet, I keep putting it off.

I missed a quote but to the newbie who asked about making a pillow case dress, I think you can do it. It's all straight lines and they don't even need to be that straight.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #1159
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4monkeys View Post
I was so excited to sew a skirt for my niece and some shirts.. I wasnt quite able to finish and post. Allison was admitted to the hospital again tonight! Please keep her in your prayers! Happy sewing. I love to see everything, it brightens my day
I hope that Allison will get better and be discharged very soon!

Quote:

[IMG][/IMG]

That looks great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilnStitchy View Post
Hi another newbie here. Just wondering if you think it is possible for me to sew a pillowcase dress for our trip on Oct 26? I have a sewing machine but I've never even turned it on (I did take it out of the box and study the instructions and watched sewing tutorials online). Should I settle for trying to make a bib instead? Feeling a little overwhelmed by it
Lots of people begin sewing with a pillowcase dress. A simple skirt is also super easy and great for a beginner. You should be able to make a pillowcase dress or a skirt in one day so I would think you have plenty of time to make a few things.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:33 AM   #1160
VBAndrea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hi another newbie here. Just wondering if you think it is possible for me to sew a pillowcase dress for our trip on Oct 26? I have a sewing machine but I've never even turned it on (I did take it out of the box and study the instructions and watched sewing tutorials online). Should I settle for trying to make a bib instead? Feeling a little overwhelmed by it

My WDW trips have happened at the last minute and this is the first time we're taking the children. I honestly didn't think the kids were going to WDW for at least 4 more years (so I thought I had time ).

Thanks! Love seeing your beautiful work.
You can do it!!!! Make the dress!!!! What I would do is get some old fabric -- do not buy fabric, use an old sheet or blouse with stains and just practice sewing stitches on that.

Quote:
Oh know! I feel awful for poor Alli. Isn't this the third time recently that she's been admitted? I was thinking of you recently b/c I've been neglectful. I've had some odd for virus for 2.5 weeks now. I'm hoping since it's close to three weeks I'll get better soon and then I can help you out if need be.

Quote:

[IMG][/IMG]

Very nice! I like the fabrics you used. I think your dh needs an eye exam -- I don't see "sweat band" at all.

My little update: I am feeling better enough to get some things done. Yesterday one of our nice communities which is really large had a neighborhood garage sale. I could only go for two hours since ds had a soccer game, but I scored in those two hours. I got loads of clothes for dd at good prices (things I can't sew like jeans and then a few things I could sew but much cheaper to buy at a yard sale than to make). I also got a few toys which will be used as Xmas presents (since they are going to my kids they get used gifts ). Then we went to the soccer game and I even did a little laundry and swept the leaves along the curb of our street (and found used *paraphernalia* that got swept to the drive of the house of the teens next store for their parents to hopefully see!). I am going to try to get the rest of my laundry done today and work on a skirt that I wanted to do last week for dd. We'll see how it goes.

DH DS 11 DD 9

VBAndrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #1161
DisneyTeacher01
Mouseketeer

Quote:

My WDW trips have happened at the last minute and this is the first time we're taking the children. I honestly didn't think the kids were going to WDW for at least 4 more years (so I thought I had time ).

I personally think a pillowcase dress would be easier than a bib, but that's just me. Your best bet is to try you can do it!!!!

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post51079465

2014~All Star Sports (I'm finally going back!!!)
2010~One Day only
2005~All Star Movies
2004~All Star Movies
2001~WDW College Program
1996~Off Site
DisneyTeacher01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #1162
LilnStitchy
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by VBAndrea View Post
You can do it!!!! Make the dress!!!! What I would do is get some old fabric -- do not buy fabric, use an old sheet or blouse with stains and just practice sewing stitches on that.
Great idea! Off to go see what I can salvage.

Caribbean Beach Resort- 2011
LilnStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #1163
LilLisaLou
Mouseketeer

I am working on my girls' dresses for Animal Kingdom and I'd like to put a Mickey appliqué on the front. I looked at a website for DIY Mickey shirts and they said to get some Wonder Under, trace the Mickey head on it, iron the one side to the wrong side of the scrap fabric, cut around it and then iron it onto the dress and then see around with a zig zag. Is that really all I need to do?
1994 - EuroDisney (That's what it was called then) 2000 - WDW (off-site) 2006 - WDW (off-site) Oct 2008 - WDW/AKV (our 1st DVC trip) for F&W and DCL 2012 - WDW/AKV for Thanksgiving! 2014 - Big Birthday, DCL, Princess 10K
LilLisaLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:44 PM   #1164
tpettie
What"s a tag and why do you want one?

Question

I have a brother embroidery machine two actually my first one is small only does 4x4 then I got hoop envy and got a bigger one one that now does 10x6

Here is the trouble the new larger machine the self threader keeps dropping off I keep taking it into the shop they put it back on say that odd and send me home .... I have done this 3 times now...

Anyone have any thoughts on this I'm sure I'm passed my warranty on it as I didn't sew much the first year when I got it just didn't have the time now with a sewing space and our trip I'm sewing more and getting frustrated with the threader dropping My other machine is fine it doesn't do it at all.

All Stars Movies December 2008 (First Trip)
All Stars Movies December 2009 (Return with more kids)
POR Nov 28 - Dec 05 2010 (Adult Only Trip)
ASMusic Sept 29 - Oct6 2011 (let go trip)
Sequel Trip AofA Resort Nov/Dec 2012
POP Sept 7-12 with Disney Dream 3 Night Cruise Sept 12-15
tpettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #1165
dianemom2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

My little update: I am feeling better enough to get some things done. Yesterday one of our nice communities which is really large had a neighborhood garage sale. I could only go for two hours since ds had a soccer game, but I scored in those two hours. I got loads of clothes for dd at good prices (things I can't sew like jeans and then a few things I could sew but much cheaper to buy at a yard sale than to make). I also got a few toys which will be used as Xmas presents (since they are going to my kids they get used gifts
Glad that you are starting to feel better. It sounds like you did really well at the yard sale. Now that my kids are older, I never do well at yard sales anymore. We hit a couple last weekend but the only things we saw that would fit them looked like it was from 1998, it was so dated! Of course I could have had a million Elmo dvds. I always used to buy the girls used stuff for Chanukah. They didn't care if a DS game had belonged to somebody else first or if an American Girl dress had been worn by another doll. As long as the things were clean and worked, we were all happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisaLou View Post
I am working on my girls' dresses for Animal Kingdom and I'd like to put a Mickey appliqué on the front. I looked at a website for DIY Mickey shirts and they said to get some Wonder Under, trace the Mickey head on it, iron the one side to the wrong side of the scrap fabric, cut around it and then iron it onto the dress and then see around with a zig zag. Is that really all I need to do?
Did you look on the first page on this thread? There is a link to Heather Sue's applique directions. I've never done hand applique but everybody says her directions are the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpettie View Post
Question

Here is the trouble the new larger machine the self threader keeps dropping off I keep taking it into the shop they put it back on say that odd and send me home .... I have done this 3 times now...

Anyone have any thoughts on this I'm sure I'm passed my warranty on it as I didn't sew much the first year when I got it just didn't have the time now with a sewing space and our trip I'm sewing more and getting frustrated with the threader dropping My other machine is fine it doesn't do it at all.
Is it the air powered self threader or is it just the little lever on the side that threads the needle? I have the kind with the little lever that threads that needle. It is ALWAYS broken. I just thread the needle myself. Even right after getting it fixed, it breaks again immediately.

If it is the air powered threading system, I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe to contact Brother directly instead of going back to your local shop???? Explain the situation to them and see what they can do for you.

dianemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:34 PM   #1166
TinkNH
just not quite ready to let go of summer and flip flops
I can craft and type

ugh I forgot how the DIS is filled with some judgmental a__________

please someone slap me if I ever stray out of this thread again.

I remember why I stopped coming to the DIS for several years now

I finished a big give dress today...pics after it arrives. I am trying to find the motivation to clean the house but I am too cold and would rather snuggle up with a book and some tea

Carolyn DH DD (10) DS (4)DD (4)
4/1984 offsite
10/1995 Honeymoon Grand Floridian
10/2005 Anniversary Weekend at Swan
9/2006 Family trip to Polynesian for 3
9/2012 Family trip to Polynesian for 5!

TinkNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:40 PM   #1167
jujube
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Question

I have a brother embroidery machine two actually my first one is small only does 4x4 then I got hoop envy and got a bigger one one that now does 10x6

I'd call Brother customer service.
jujube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:17 PM   #1168
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Thanks guys!!! Yes I totally agree I think my husband needs an eye exam too lol!
Old 10-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #1169
tpettie
What"s a tag and why do you want one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianemom2 View Post
Is it the air powered self threader or is it just the little lever on the side that threads the needle? I have the kind with the little lever that threads that needle. It is ALWAYS broken. I just thread the needle myself. Even right after getting it fixed, it breaks again immediately.

If it is the air powered threading system, I'm not sure what to tell you. Maybe to contact Brother directly instead of going back to your local shop???? Explain the situation to them and see what they can do for you.
it's the lever one the shop guy says it's magnetically held into place... I feel like the vibrations from the embroidery are shaking it loose all the time...
Calling Brother is a good idea I will do that tuesday I was just seeing if this was a common problem that maybe there was a trick to fixing it...

All Stars Movies December 2008 (First Trip)
All Stars Movies December 2009 (Return with more kids)
POR Nov 28 - Dec 05 2010 (Adult Only Trip)
ASMusic Sept 29 - Oct6 2011 (let go trip)
Sequel Trip AofA Resort Nov/Dec 2012
POP Sept 7-12 with Disney Dream 3 Night Cruise Sept 12-15
tpettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #1170
PurpleEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zokaluse View Post
WOW another wonderful thread on Disboards.

I have not sewed (apart from bad hand sewing for sons cubs badges) since high school...Believe it or not I actually borrowed my OH's mothers (who passed away 10 yrs ago to Breast Cancer) sewing maching to try to do it..mmmnnn yes!

Anyway this thread has inspired me to get it out of storage and give sewing another go..along with planning our 1st WD trip & our wedding in May 2013 and trying to do up our new house Who am I kidding!

Well done to all you magical wonderful sewers on here and I WILL be back one day with a creation of my own!
Welcome! Please feel free to ask any questions that you have (about sewing that is) and I look forward to seeing your creations soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger1221 View Post
Thank you both. We may have figured out part of the problem. We ironed on the cut away stabalizer and we are thinking maybe we weren't supposed to. It says to and the lady said to but it left behind little rough dots when we pulled it back and cut it and they didn't go away when we washed it.

We still don't know about the soft stuff on the back. When we ironed it on is when it looks like it almost shrunk it and made it look pulled. IDK what to do but I guess we will eventually figure it out.
I am glad that you have figured out part of the problem. I hope you can figure the rest so we can learn from your experience.

Quote:

Welcome! I think a pillowcase dress is much easier than a bib (mind you, I have done bibs but not pillowcase dresses!) I am sure you can do it, just take a deep breath and start sewing! Please come by with your questions if you encounter any when you sew.

Quote:
Poor Allison. I hope she is doing better.

Quote:

It looks great! It doesn't look like a sweat band to me (when you said sweat band, it reminds me of the exercise videos from the 80's).

Quote:
My little update: I am feeling better enough to get some things done. Yesterday one of our nice communities which is really large had a neighborhood garage sale. I could only go for two hours since ds had a soccer game, but I scored in those two hours. I got loads of clothes for dd at good prices (things I can't sew like jeans and then a few things I could sew but much cheaper to buy at a yard sale than to make). I also got a few toys which will be used as Xmas presents (since they are going to my kids they get used gifts ). Then we went to the soccer game and I even did a little laundry and swept the leaves along the curb of our street (and found used *paraphernalia* that got swept to the drive of the house of the teens next store for their parents to hopefully see!). I am going to try to get the rest of my laundry done today and work on a skirt that I wanted to do last week for dd. We'll see how it goes.
I am glad that you are feeling better. It sounds like you got good deals at the garage sale. We go to garage sales too but the garage sale season is like 2 weeks here (ok, maybe 6). Some of my sewing supplies came from garage sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilLisaLou View Post
Sounds about right to me. Just make sure you use a dense zig zag stitch so the edges of your applique won't fray. Oh and a wide zigzag stitch helps too if you sew like a drunk like me.

Quote:
Question

I am sorry to hear that your machine is giving you troubles. I hope someone here can help you with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinkNH View Post
ugh I forgot how the DIS is filled with some judgmental a__________

please someone slap me if I ever stray out of this thread again.

I remember why I stopped coming to the DIS for several years now

I finished a big give dress today...pics after it arrives. I am trying to find the motivation to clean the house but I am too cold and would rather snuggle up with a book and some tea
Awww I am sorry to hear that you had problems with some not so nice people here. I look forward to seeing your Big Give dress!

Our Disney trips:
May 2006 - All Star Music
Jan 2007 - Pop Century
Jan 2008 - Pop Century // Sept 2008 - Pop Century (Free Dining!)
May 2009 - Coronado Springs // Oct 2009 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining again!)
Feb 2010 - Port Orleans French Quarter // Aug 2010 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining, round 3!)
Apr 2011 - Disneyland - Hilton Anaheim // Aug 2011 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #4)
Feb 2012 - Disneyland - Ramada Plaza // Aug 2012 - Coronado Springs (Free Dining #5)
Dec 2013 - Port Orleans French Quarter (Free Dining #6)
PurpleEars is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: