Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 12:05 PM   #691
__disneygirl
well, all that's left now is the happy ending.

CONTINUED UPDATE FROM PREVIOUS PAGE!!!!

OK SO!!!! First I saw the mama:

And then headed over to the main area, where the men were sitting around and eating, like they usually are.

#me

This guy was sitting in this weird little alcove off to the side. I loved watching him.

This one reminds me of Kerchak from Tarzan. Don't they look exactly alike or is it just me?

Then, the mama and baby came over!

OKAY.

See these two gorillas that look like they are having a very animated conversation? WELL. One of them really P.O'd at the other one!

You know how, in movies (because that's the only reference I have of this happening), sometimes if gorillas are mad, they pound on their chest with their fists?

YEAH.

That happened.

I was speechless.

One of the females just came RUNNING at the other one, OUT OF NOWHERE, pounding her chest as she CHARGED over. She was also making this scary grunting noise that did NOT sound friendly. It was kind of like "RAAAAAAAHHHH" but the volume was weird, it wasn't that much bigger than a loud whisper but it went FAR. It was like almost a hiss. I don't know, I just wish I had filmed it b/c it was CRAZY.

The people around me and I all gasped. It was seriously one of the coolest moments of my life. I could not believe it.

I posted on Twitter:
OMG!!! 1st, Baby gorilla is visible. 2nd, ONE OF THE FEMALES JUST DID THAT THING WHERE THEY BANG ON THEIR CHEST AND IT WAS SO LOUD OMG

I mean, I've seen that in movies before and heard about it and stuff, but never have I actually seen a gorilla act like that IN PERSON.

It was jarring. And, like I said, AWESOME. I was really quite thrilled by it.

I just stood there speechless for awhile watching them, slightly worried that I would be attacked and devoured by the angry female gorilla.

Here's my view with no zoom... can you spot the gorillas?

Baby gorilla bootay.

And this dude just continued to sit and eat. Cheers, my brother.

Up Next: Murals and Zebra Domes
Old 10-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #692
LifeIsDis
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

I can't believe you are going to Disney in 18 days! That's crazy!

Ok, hippo feet are like my new favorite thing. THEY ARE SO CUTE OMG.

Woah, I can't believe the gorilla pounded on her chest! I can't imagine watching that. That is just amazing.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-03-2012, 01:57 PM   #693
beachphotog
Pass me a margarita

The dude gorilla that just kept chowing down? With 2 angry, female gorilla's? He totally had the right idea.

Follow me on twitter: @beachphotog
And on Instagram: smk31
Old 10-03-2012, 02:15 PM   #694
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Yay, your trip is so close! I'm so jealous, I still have a bit longer to go. Definitely take your own advise, take your time and just enjoy.

*gasp* It's never too early for cupcakes! Silly Disney.

Dudes eating. That's not unusual.

Wow, mama gorilla was getting protective! That's awesome, I've never seen that in person before either!
Old 10-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #695
__disneygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsDis View Post
I can't believe you are going to Disney in 18 days! That's crazy!

Ok, hippo feet are like my new favorite thing. THEY ARE SO CUTE OMG.

Woah, I can't believe the gorilla pounded on her chest! I can't imagine watching that. That is just amazing.
I know, I can't believe it either!

Me too!! I'm very excited to see my beloved hippo feet again. LOL.

I know, I still can't believe it happened. It was so unexpected and shocking and happened so fast, but I will never forget it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachphotog View Post
The dude gorilla that just kept chowing down? With 2 angry, female gorilla's? He totally had the right idea.
hahaha Agreed. He knew what was up. Old news to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
Yay, your trip is so close! I'm so jealous, I still have a bit longer to go. Definitely take your own advise, take your time and just enjoy.

*gasp* It's never too early for cupcakes! Silly Disney.

Dudes eating. That's not unusual.

Wow, mama gorilla was getting protective! That's awesome, I've never seen that in person before either!
You do have a bit longer to go, but it will be so great to go for Thanksgiving. Very worth the wait!

I know. They need to start baking them earlier in the day! I need my cupcakes!!!!

Yeah, I imagine that's why she was so angry, something about protecting the baby. It was very territorial and defensive!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:59 PM   #696
marDgreen88
DIS Veteran

I think hippos are adorable too!

Omg... that must have been terrifyingly awesome. (I'm actually surprised that there is no red squiggle under 'terrifyingly' because I was certain I made that word up. Anyways.)

Seriously though, I bet that was DEFINITELY full of awe.

Your trip is practically here! Have you mentioned where you're staying yet? Pop again, or somewhere new?

Completed Trip Reports:
December 2011 * July/August 2012 * May/June 2013
Old 10-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #697
beachmama3
Mouseketeer

Catching up on your TR- awesome update! My boys loooved the hippos on our last trip! And we always take time to appreciate the EE queue, it is so unique!

I was cracking up at your Jersey Shore boardwalk comment! We live at the shore, near a boardwalk, but we are a bit further south (you are near NYC?). Can relate to riding the rides over and over! Love the boardwalk, but it's no Disney...

Have soooo much fun in 18 days when you go down! I am totally jealous!!
Old 10-03-2012, 10:18 PM   #698
__disneygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by marDgreen88 View Post
I think hippos are adorable too!

Omg... that must have been terrifyingly awesome. (I'm actually surprised that there is no red squiggle under 'terrifyingly' because I was certain I made that word up. Anyways.)

Seriously though, I bet that was DEFINITELY full of awe.

Your trip is practically here! Have you mentioned where you're staying yet? Pop again, or somewhere new?
LOL I swear that happens to me all the time - either I'm surprised the word is actually a word or the squiggle appears and I'm like "Really? That's not a word?!"

Where we are staying... you will just have to wait and see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmama3 View Post
Catching up on your TR- awesome update! My boys loooved the hippos on our last trip! And we always take time to appreciate the EE queue, it is so unique!

I was cracking up at your Jersey Shore boardwalk comment! We live at the shore, near a boardwalk, but we are a bit further south (you are near NYC?). Can relate to riding the rides over and over! Love the boardwalk, but it's no Disney...

Have soooo much fun in 18 days when you go down! I am totally jealous!!
Thanks so much!!!

Yes, I'm about 20 minutes outside the city. Well, 20 minutes if you're driving at 3 A.M. Any other time of day it takes 45. I was talking about the boardwalk in Seaside, but I'm pretty familiar with all of them. I love love love love LOVE the shore and will argue its benefits over the Hamptons anytime. haha.

Thank you!! I'm sure we will have the best time! Don't be jealous, before you know it your next trip will be here!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:45 AM   #699
flyergrad09
Future Monorail Driver

Ohmygosh, that last hippo picture is adorable!

Going to Disney with someone who hasn't been in a long time is seriously one of my favorite experiences ever! You are seriously so lucky that you get to go again so soon!

Um, yes, that one gorilla is a dead ringer for Kerchak! I wonder if they did that on purpose... haha probably not, but still, what are the odds!

Wow. So don't make a gorilla mad because that experience sounded terrifying for the gorilla at the receiving end of the gorilla rage!

Follow me on Twitter! @flyergrad09 • Follow me on Instagram! @flyergrad09

I've been a Disney girl my entire life!
May 1987 - Offsite • November 1990 - Offsite • June 1998 - OKW • December 2001/January 2002 - Offsite • December 2003/January 2004 - Offsite • December 2007/January 2008 - Offsite • December 2009 - Offsite • July 2010 - DISNEYLAND! • December 2010 - Offsite • December 2011 - ASMu • May 2012 - ASMu
Old 10-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #700
__disneygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyergrad09 View Post
Ohmygosh, that last hippo picture is adorable!

Going to Disney with someone who hasn't been in a long time is seriously one of my favorite experiences ever! You are seriously so lucky that you get to go again so soon!

Um, yes, that one gorilla is a dead ringer for Kerchak! I wonder if they did that on purpose... haha probably not, but still, what are the odds!

Wow. So don't make a gorilla mad because that experience sounded terrifying for the gorilla at the receiving end of the gorilla rage!
Ahh I know! They are so cute!

Really? That's great to hear! I can't wait to see everything through her eyes. I still can't believe it, I'm so excited!!!

I thought the same thing... maybe the animators saw this gorilla? It's possible! I'm sure tons of gorillas look like Kerchak but hey you never know.

Seriously! It was cool to watch but being on the receiving end of that anger would be no bueno.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:42 PM   #701
princess_momma
DIS Veteran

I need to go in early December. It's settled. I, sadly, didn't even make it on EE last time and that is heartbreaking.

OH MY GOODNESS!! I DID NOT KNOW YOU CAN GET THAT CLOSE TO HIPPOS!! OMG...I need to go to WDW NOW clearly. I love them!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh what an awesome gorilla story!! That is so insanely fantastic that you got to see that. I'm so jealous. WOW!!

AHHHHHH You are leaving so soon! I'm so, so, so happy for you! Try to have a ToT marathon for me!!
Life Is Way Too Short to Take It Slow - Oct 2013 TR

Old 10-07-2012, 12:07 PM   #702
__disneygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_momma View Post
I need to go in early December. It's settled. I, sadly, didn't even make it on EE last time and that is heartbreaking.

OH MY GOODNESS!! I DID NOT KNOW YOU CAN GET THAT CLOSE TO HIPPOS!! OMG...I need to go to WDW NOW clearly. I love them!

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh what an awesome gorilla story!! That is so insanely fantastic that you got to see that. I'm so jealous. WOW!!

AHHHHHH You are leaving so soon! I'm so, so, so happy for you! Try to have a ToT marathon for me!!
Ahh I know! You definitely do. I'm sure you'll get to visit during that time someday and you can experience the magic of no crowds!

Yeah, I don't think I knew either! You can literally be inches away from them when they swim by the glass.

I know, I was shocked. It was crazy!!!

AHHH Thank you! I'm dying of excitement!!! Don't worry, there will be no shortage of ToT marathons!!!!
Old 10-07-2012, 01:30 PM   #703
__disneygirl

DECEMBER 12, 2011
Day 8, Part 3 In Which I Wander Around And Eat Bad Pizza

Ahem.

TWO WEEKS FROM NOW I WILL BE AT WALT DISNEY WORLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can you believe it? I can't. Honestly can not.

Lee-Anne and I can barely carry on a conversation at this point. All our texting looks like this:

Me: TWO WEEKS TWO WEEKS TWO WEEKS
Lee-Anne: IDSJHFIOSHFIWEUHFKEWJFH
Me: OUR LIVES ARE PHOTOSHOPPED
Lee-Anne: KJFLGUIHALEIRUHGELRIUH!!!!!!!!!

So. WE'RE EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To say the LEAST. I just can't stop thinking about it and talking about it and I think I am going to change our plans around a little bit because I have too many ideas. AHH. SO SOON WE WILL BE THERE!!!

Ok. So back to Animal Kingdom on that rainy December day last year...

I hung around a bit longer with the gorillas just to make sure I wouldn't miss any subsequent outbursts, but nothing really happened, so I headed out of the trail.

I got my 3rd Zebra/Safari/Zebra Cupcake of the trip, ate part of it, and packed the rest away for later.

Important Disney World Tip: Cupcakes from Animal Kingdom don't really travel well because you get a bag instead of a container. This is fine, because you can just lick the icing directly off the inside of the bag. Stay tuned for more great tips herein my trip report.

I went back to Discovery Island, and as usual, no one was even there.

I started calling out "Is anyone alive out there? Can anyone here me?" in a Cockney accent, and no one answered or blew a whistle or anything.

I wasn't that hungry, but I wanted to go into Pizzafari to explore since everyone always raves about how awesome the murals are inside.

Ok, I LOVED it in here. I took a lot of pictures, but there is much more to see. You really must go there and see it in person if you haven't. It's so beautiful!

I love this one cause it has a Hidden Pictures feel. Can you spot all the creatures?

It's things like this that set Disney apart. Anywhere else, they'd just throw a pizza place together so that guests have somewhere to go that serves a food everyone likes. Instead, Disney turns the entire building into a beautiful work of art.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST
Old 10-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #704
__disneygirl

Oh hey!

Here are a couple shots from the outside of the restaurant:

I was ready to eat, but I didn't want to eat at Pizzafari. I know many of you love Disney pizza, but look, I'm from New Jersey. Us NJ/NY people are very serious about our pizza. I am not a fan of mass-produced dough. I like when a jolly Italian man is throwing it up in the air, okay?

The thing I was really craving was the nectar of the Gods.

We all know I'm talking about Zebra Domes.

These things are Heaven shaped into perfect half-spheres and decorated to look like zebras. And I appreciate that.

So I hopped on a bus and made my way over to the Animal Kingdom Lodge.

I've never stayed AKL, but I've been there on every trip since my first visit to the resort, either to eat or just MARVEL at the freaking place. It's truly a wonder, and if you haven't seen it, make it a priority on your next trip.

I had never seen it all dressed up for the holidays before. It was beyond beautiful! Not more beautiful than Zebra Domes, but nothing is. Except Cheddar Cheese Soup. TWO WEEKS UNTIL THIS DIVINE TASTE IS BROUGHT UPON MY TASTE BUDS!!!!

No, I'm not more excited about the food than the theme parks. What are you talking about?

I hung out in the lobby for awhile before heading outside and to The Mara.

I threw some coins into the pond. Cause why not? This isn't the only money that goes to charity, either: A Cast Member once told me that all change collected from the various rides/fountains at Disney is donated. :

If you aren't familiar, The Mara is the counter service restaurant at AKL. The menu is a bit more varied than your average Disney CS place due to the fabulous Africany vibe of AKL. I ended up ordering just a plain cheese flatbread though, because I am stupid.

For some reason I feel victim to the ruse of them calling it "flatbread" and not pizza, like that meant something. I figured it would be better than your standard Disney pizza. It was actually worse!

Blaaaaah. I couldn't even finish this. BUT LOOK AT THE GLORIOUS DOMES OF ZEBRA!!! (Note: No Zebras are actually harmed in the making of Zebra Domes.)

I admit it... I WILL eat frozen pizza in a pinch and I will eat the whole thing. I mean, even though it in no way compares to NJ/NYC pizza (aka: the best pizza in the world. Chicago people can see themselves out), I'll still eat it if I'm desperate or in Indiana or something. But this flatbread was just terrible. I wasn't expecting a culinary masterpiece here, just something edible. It was one of the only bad things I've ever eaten in Disney!

Absolutely none of this matters, though, because... Zebra Domes. *Hallelujah chorus*

I posted on Twitter:
Zebra Domes are proof that God exists and that he loves us.

*Sigh* They are just that good. I would eat crappy pizza every day if I could follow it with Zebra Domes.

I still think the Mara is pretty awesome due to the fab Disney cartoons they show, the Zebra Domes, varied menu, and also b/c they have a bunch of cheap random African wine for sale. I really wanted to get some, but we didn't have a bottle opener. I would have requested one but I doubt they have them available back at Pop Century, and it would have been weird for me to ask at AKL and crack open a bottle of African wine in the early afternoon while alone at the Mara.

Weird...or... awesome? Maybe I should have done it.

Anyway, my point is, one day when I stay at AKL I will exist on a diet of Zebra Domes and African wine and I will be in a very jovial mood.

Yeah, that was a smiley drinking what I presume to be an alcoholic beverage and then tossing the bottle away. I don't even know, you guys. I wish it came with a glass crashing on the ground sound effect.

Sidenote: Last year, my friend Lee-Anne (who, as you know, is coming with me on my trip in TWO WEEKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and I stayed at this really fancy resort in Maryland called the Gaylord National (owned by the same people who own the Gaylord Palms just outside of Disney World) and we requested a bottle opener for the wine we bought. They charged $12 to the room for that! Just for BORROWING something to use for 2 seconds before returning it! Needless to say, there were a few maids with empty carts that day after I got through with them. What I'm saying is this: bring your own bottle openers on all your travels. Peace.

Up Next: My mom and I reunite to Live It Up in Hollywood.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #705
SoNotAPrincess
Disney Diva

Lia, Lia, Lia!

I'm a terrible lurker...wait, I'm actually a very good lurker, but, really, how hard is it to lurk on a message board?

ANYWAY, here I am, out of lurkdom, because I am overflowing with Disney magic (due to the fact that I'll be at Disney TOMORROW for my BIRTHDAY, and I feel the urge to tell you how very much you make me laugh!

Great update....pick one, they're all supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: