Adventures by Disney forums

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Adventures By Disney
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 08:50 PM   #16
TheRustyScupper
Average Banjo Picker and Fairly Good Sailing Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by connie1042 View Post
Going to Edinburgh, Scotland in 10 days. I am leaving from Minneapolis, to Amsterdam, then on to Scotland. Do I go through immigration in Amsterdam or Edinburgh? Then on the way home, I go through immigration in Minneapolis, right?

I go through Amsterdam frequently - both business and pleasure:

1) Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is a transit (aka, pass through) airport for you.
. . . get off arriving flight
. . . you move between piers (aka, airside terminals) freely
. . . walk to international waiting area
. . . walk to next flight waiting area
2) You do not go thru any security or customs or immigration
3) However, before getting aboard next flight, there is a passport check.
. . . in the waiting area, they announce your flight
. . . before you go anywhere, you line up for passport check
. . . there is no formal booth, line, counter - just a lineup
. . . a pair of agents look at your passport
. . . they may ask a couple of questions to verify you match the passport
. . . then, satisfied, you proceed directly to your gate
4) They are just checking for illegals trying to get into the next country.
. . . these agents are actually paid by the airline
. . . it is part of your airfare
. . . in your case, KLM (going to EDI), Delta (returning to MSP)
. . . they are there as a requirement of the country you are flying to
. . . it is another layer to prevent illegal immigration

NOTE1: As a white, American couple, my wife and I were asked for our
passports on our way to UK. The agents took them, looked at the hologram
with a special magnifier glass ring on their finger and colored glasses, and
asked ONE question ("Americans on vacation?"). We said yes, and they
passed us immediately. Others, many non-whites, went through MANY
questions. ("Where you going? How long are you staying? Your birth-date?
Your place of birth? Where are you coming from? Agents even compared
the eye color of several people against the passport. Almost interrogation.)

NOTE2: If you really want to check out the transit rules and why, look up
the "Schengen Area" or "Schengen Treaty" regarding travel, passport and
non-passport rules for Europe. Especially where UK and Ireland did not sign
the treaty.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #17
connie1042
DIS Veteran

I made it

Here is my experience. Flight left Minneapolis on time. Nice flight. Got off the plane, and was told to look at the board for my next gate. Flight was full and everyone was going different directions. Found my flight on the board, and headed that way. Way across the airport. When I got to my gate, I went through a SECURITY check. X-Ray machine and all. When it was time to board, we had our passport checked, and got on a bus to our plane. KLM Nice short flight then after getting off, headed to immigration. I was one of the first in line, but last to leave. They asked me all the normal questions,where I was staying, my job, and then I had to show them my GBP's and American money and my Credit cards. I also had to show them an itinerary that showed I was going to go home, and when. I did fine with the 1:50 time slot that I had. I think I will be good going home, but will have to hustle. Thank you all for all the help.
connie1042 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 07:05 PM   #18
carpenta
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Here is my experience. Flight left Minneapolis on time. Nice flight. Got off the plane, and was told to look at the board for my next gate. Flight was full and everyone was going different directions. Found my flight on the board, and headed that way. Way across the airport. When I got to my gate, I went through a SECURITY check. X-Ray machine and all. When it was time to board, we had our passport checked, and got on a bus to our plane. KLM Nice short flight then after getting off, headed to immigration. I was one of the first in line, but last to leave. They asked me all the normal questions,where I was staying, my job, and then I had to show them my GBP's and American money and my Credit cards. I also had to show them an itinerary that showed I was going to go home, and when. I did fine with the 1:50 time slot that I had. I think I will be good going home, but will have to hustle. Thank you all for all the help.
So glad to hear....Have a wonderful time and safe travels......
carpenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 09:22 AM   #19
connie1042
DIS Veteran

Amsterdam/50 min layover

I just wanted to let you know I made my flight with a 50 min layover in Amsterdam on a Delta flight. But it was really tight. I got off the plane and looked at the board and my next flight was already boarding. I basically ran to the gate. Give yourself more time than 50 min.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #20
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I just wanted to let you know I made my flight with a 50 min layover in Amsterdam on a Delta flight. But it was really tight. I got off the plane and looked at the board and my next flight was already boarding. I basically ran to the gate. Give yourself more time than 50 min.
Glad you made it! I hate having to run like that, but it beats missing a flight! Thanks for sharing the info!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:40 PM   #21
JaneGapud
Disney Bride

Hello!

My husband and I will be traveling to Europe next month. As far as layover time, will an hour and 20 minutes be enough? We're US citizens. Taking a Delta flight from ATL to AMS, then Delta/KLM from AMS to EDI.

Going back to ATL, we are taking a nonstop Delta flight from CDG (Paris).

Please advise. Thank you very much!

Fairy Tale Wedding March 2003

JaneGapud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #22
kathie859
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneGapud View Post
Hello!

My husband and I will be traveling to Europe next month. As far as layover time, will an hour and 20 minutes be enough? We're US citizens. Taking a Delta flight from ATL to AMS, then Delta/KLM from AMS to EDI.

This will be a tight connection! We did CVG-AMS, AMS-EDI in August. The 2nd flight was in a different terminal and it took a little time to clear customs and go thru security again and get to the new gate. Be ready to sprint off the plane
Old 10-19-2012, 11:23 PM   #23
connie1042
DIS Veteran

I will tell you it was a tight layover. I walked across the airport to my next plane, I had about 15 min before boarding. What got me was, we were put on a bus to get to the plane on the tarmac, and it was very close to where I got off my first plane. They could of saved me a few steps, by not having me walk all the way to the other side, just to be bused to where I started from. When you get off the plane in Amsterdam, get ready to sprint. It is a big airport. I had 1 hour 50 min. and I had little time to spare. You are cutting this short by 30 min. so be ready. On the way back I only had 50 min. I made it, but when I got off my first plane, I basically ran. The guy I sat next to came in after me and said he came from Paris, and that was the worst airport he had ever been in. Three of them just made the flight. But since you have a straight flight, there should be no problem. Have a great trip. Scotland was awesome.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:27 AM   #24
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
I will tell you it was a tight layover. I walked across the airport to my next plane, I had about 15 min before boarding. What got me was, we were put on a bus to get to the plane on the tarmac, and it was very close to where I got off my first plane. They could of saved me a few steps, by not having me walk all the way to the other side, just to be bused to where I started from. When you get off the plane in Amsterdam, get ready to sprint. It is a big airport. I had 1 hour 50 min. and I had little time to spare. You are cutting this short by 30 min. so be ready. On the way back I only had 50 min. I made it, but when I got off my first plane, I basically ran. The guy I sat next to came in after me and said he came from Paris, and that was the worst airport he had ever been in. Three of them just made the flight. But since you have a straight flight, there should be no problem. Have a great trip. Scotland was awesome.
I agree that CDG in Paris is one of the worst airports I have ever been in! We flew out of CDG and got there well over 2 hours early. After a solid 2 hours standing in sweltering lines (and it was not hot outside) I made it to my flight with 5 minutes to spare. Awful, awful, awful!

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)
sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 10:41 AM   #25
Bobo912
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneGapud View Post
Hello!

This past summer, we flew through Amsterdam with a 1 hour 45 minute layover. We changed terminals and it was a long walk and we had to go through security. I was concerned since I didn't know how far it would be to the second terminal, so we didn't dawdle, but it turned out that we had plenty of time. We were at the gate at lest 45 minutes before the plane started boarding (and it was on time). We were fortunate that there was only a short line at security.
Bobo912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:35 PM   #26
goofieslonglostsis
DIS Veteran

AMS is my home airport.

Loads depend on the gates assigned. AMS is HUGE, as are some of the concourses. For instance the B one (used for flights within Europe) is dreaded. If your flight is assigned a gate at the end of the concourse you can easily hike a mile or more, just from beginning to end of concourse, which has to be added up to your distance from your arrival gate (transatlantic flights do not arrive nor depart from B).

If having a tight connection; contact airline beforehand or discuss options with the flight attendant about an hour prior to arrival. Depending on availability, it might be an option to have an airline employee or airport employee waiting for you with a golf cart type of cart to quickly get you from arriving flight to departing flight. Would still require going through the checkpoint between international and european airside, but does make for a MUCH faster move. Politeness goes a long way when it comes to scoring such a lift -where available and not needed for for instance assistance requiring passengers- on the spot.

Flying KLM is a huge bonus in this (one of the few, have to say ), given how huge they are at AMS and thus more employees at hand to help out, more imput in getting things done etc.
Does it really work that way? Doors closing, windows opening, can you really allways count on that? I'll just continue to wish, hope and pray to make sure. Knock on wood, one, twice and trice. Still can't believe it, I really get to visit Mickey again..........

Always keep wishing, dreaming and hoping.

goofieslonglostsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 04:43 PM   #27
Carrie_Cat
I'm a Rive Gauche person

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayhello View Post
I agree that CDG in Paris is one of the worst airports I have ever been in! We flew out of CDG and got there well over 2 hours early. After a solid 2 hours standing in sweltering lines (and it was not hot outside) I made it to my flight with 5 minutes to spare. Awful, awful, awful!

Sayhello
CDG needs a minimum of 3 hours for the transatlantic flights now with all the extra screening the US does.

We are used to it as it's our "home" airport and just go with it now when flying towards the US/Mexico

But if you can avoid it I'd advise doing so everytime

Vive la différence
Carrie_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:03 AM   #28
JaneGapud
Disney Bride

Thanks everybody!

We went ahead and purchased a flight with 4 hours of layover time, still doing ATL-AMS-EDI. Too much time but we don't want to start our vacation stressed. Figured we can always eat and shop at the airport.

Thanks for the feedback on CDG. Going to make sure that we're at the airport a minimum of 3 hours before our departure time.

Thanks again!

Fairy Tale Wedding March 2003

JaneGapud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #29
goofieslonglostsis
DIS Veteran

In that case; definately check out the Rijksmuseum. They've got an area at Schiphol airport airside. Just like the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam itself, it is very much worth a visit eventhough it is a small exhibit. Amazing pieces of some of the biggest names in history can more recent to be seen. And; it's free.

For more info check out; http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/Fo...jksmuseum1.htm

For food both Bubbles and the sushibar are very good and not that general run of the mill.

Need some massage, pampering or recoup from the flight? Go to the spa for some treatments, ranging from relaxing to intensive massages.

Combined with the time needed to get off the arrival flight, get to the departure gate and boarding, your time will fly by.
Does it really work that way? Doors closing, windows opening, can you really allways count on that? I'll just continue to wish, hope and pray to make sure. Knock on wood, one, twice and trice. Still can't believe it, I really get to visit Mickey again..........

Always keep wishing, dreaming and hoping.

goofieslonglostsis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: