Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2012, 02:18 PM   #976
lovealldisney
Lover of all things Disney!

Magdalene,

Thank you thank you for posting those pictures!!! Paris is my DREAM city to go to..... well you know that already. They are ALL FANTASTIC! Loved the garden pictures and the food I'm drooling looking at them! Thank you again
Old 09-18-2012, 10:37 AM   #977
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

Hi Magdalene,

What a lovely surprise! I am home with a stomach bug and it is so nice to see something so cheering...

I love seeing your photos of Paris...so lovely...

I think that Pompidou is really interesting architectually - I remember reading that Parisians thought it awful at first -it is now one of their most visited sites....I love the Nicki St Phalle fountain in front/off to side...

(David likes modern art and ancient art but not as much in between ... the rest of the family has eclectic tastes...- I love the Orsay because I love Fauvism and the early modern but especially because I love the reuse of the train station into an art museum!!!)

The Luxembourg Gardens are so pretty, how nice it must be to live near enough to walk through them every day ... I feel like there are all of these little parks all through the city-some are almost pocket size with just several benches-like little suprises/green spaces...

(This was a little park somewhere on the left bank...)

The Patisseries in Paris amaze me too... the care taken in arranging everything so perfectly... (Portion sizes are definitely a bit smaller than in the patisserie in Epcot...

(Since we stayed in an apartment in 2010, Eric would go out and get some things to go with our fruit and yogurt...)

That's one of the things I love so much about Paris-the small details and care put into everyday life...

(I just wanted to share this one--since you said you didn't get too close to the Eiffel Tour... This was right in the middle of it...)

It's like a big erector set...

I would love to see your DLP photos...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-30-2012, 01:49 PM   #978
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolrat View Post
Glda to see you back. I understand the work being really busy reason. Somehow I have also not had time to keep up to to date. Work being most of the reason

Love the new avatar.

Thask for all the pictures of Paris. A beatuiful city.
Life would be much better if we were independently rich and would not have to work... At least there would be more time for the DIS!!

Thanks for the comment about the avatar. It appears to be quite popular! I thought it was getting a bit embarrassing that I still had the generic one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
I love it when you post pictures of Europe! It makes me want to visit so badly.

The churches/cathedrals look amazing. It's always fascinating to me to see buildings everywhere that are older than pretty much everything in America.

The Musee d'Orsay looks beautiful. I love the fact that it's an old train station--you can definitely see that from the shape of the building.

Are those chocolate croissants I spy in the left of the pastry picture?
I am sure you will be able to make it over here at some point! However, don't be deceived into thinking that everything in Europe is older as a lot of what makes up the larger cities was indeed built in the 19th century. At that time a lot of the old medieval cities were being torn down as unfashionable, but also because a lot of these houses were infested with vermin and diseases. That's why Nuremberg used to be an exception. It was so poor from mid 17th century until late 19th century that nobody could afford to build new stuff. And when the city became rich again, there was already a sense of keeping historic buildings for their historic value. It was one of the very few larger medieval cities that had kept a lot of its integrity. However, 90% of the old medieval city were destroyed during an air raid in February 1945. It truly is a shame what a devastation in history and culture (besides all the other atrocities) Nazi Germany caused all over Europe...

Ok - that became a bit heavy... So let's talk about chocolate croissants: Yes! Those are "pain au chocolate" - chocolate bread. A very plain name for something very delicious! There is something about French pastry from France that is unbeatable. I have had many delicious croissants outside of France, but there they always taste even better!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 09-30-2012, 02:11 PM   #979
Flossbolna

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovealldisney View Post
Magdalene,

Thank you thank you for posting those pictures!!! Paris is my DREAM city to go to..... well you know that already. They are ALL FANTASTIC! Loved the garden pictures and the food I'm drooling looking at them! Thank you again
Glad you enjoyed the pictures!! I am sure you will make it to Paris at some point. One thing I found out btw is that August is really vacation months at Paris. Which means that a few shops are closed etc. But it also means that hotels are considerably cheaper! My hotel would have been 30% more in September.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Hi Magdalene,

What a lovely surprise! I am home with a stomach bug and it is so nice to see something so cheering...

I love seeing your photos of Paris...so lovely...
I have no idea how I missed your post! I just read it now for the first time! I am glad that I could cheer you up when you were feeling low!

Quote:
I think that Pompidou is really interesting architectually - I remember reading that Parisians thought it awful at first -it is now one of their most visited sites....I love the Nicki St Phalle fountain in front/off to side...

(David likes modern art and ancient art but not as much in between ... the rest of the family has eclectic tastes...- I love the Orsay because I love Fauvism and the early modern but especially because I love the reuse of the train station into an art museum!!!)
I remember all the media attention the Centre Pompidou got when it was first opened. It is certainly a peculiar style of architecture. I think the French have an interesting courage for building exceptional buildings. I remember that we noticed that first on our trip to Southern France when I was 14 - there was strange art along the motorway and the rest stop areas where never boring... Sometimes it works out - other times not so much, like the older terminals at CDG which are some of the strangest airport terminals I have ever been to...

I guess I have an eclectic taste in art as well. I am good with a lot of modern art, but can't stand surrealism. Also, some of the real modern stuff I find highly interesting, but then one of Germany's best known modern artists, Beuys, I have no interest in whatsoever...

Quote:
The Luxembourg Gardens are so pretty, how nice it must be to live near enough to walk through them every day ... I feel like there are all of these little parks all through the city-some are almost pocket size with just several benches-like little suprises/green spaces...

(This was a little park somewhere on the left bank...)
Yes, I really liked all those small green oasis as well! Which was something that surprised me in New York as well - there was more green than I ever had expected...

Quote:
The Patisseries in Paris amaze me too... the care taken in arranging everything so perfectly... (Portion sizes are definitely a bit smaller than in the patisserie in Epcot...

(Since we stayed in an apartment in 2010, Eric would go out and get some things to go with our fruit and yogurt...)

That's one of the things I love so much about Paris-the small details and care put into everyday life...
I guess the French portion sizes are more conducive for the Parisian women to stay slim...

Actually, that is one of my personal pet peeves about WDW: most snacks have ridiculous portions - at least to me. For example the almond pretzel at the bakery in Norway has caught my eye ever since my first trip. However, it looks like it could substitute a whole meal to me! Same with ice cream portions...

Quote:
(I just wanted to share this one--since you said you didn't get too close to the Eiffel Tour... This was right in the middle of it...)

It's like a big erector set...
Lovely picture!

I am sure that I will manage to get on that tower at some point! This year the lift is under renovation, so only one was operating and that caused a 2-3 hour wait and the tickets on the internet which you could pre-book were sold out for the next 3 or 4 months...

I guess an erector set is a toy? Here in Germany the equivalent is the Märklin Baukasten:

Quote:
I would love to see your DLP photos...
I was hoping to get the DLP pics up sooner - even started sorting them, but just did not have enough time yet. But I hope you won't have to wait much longer!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007

Old 09-30-2012, 05:52 PM   #980
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Looking forward to seeing them !!I agree if only I was independently wealthy
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 10-07-2012, 10:49 AM   #981
Flossbolna

Thoughts on the Boardwalk

Thoughts on the Boardwalk

So, let's continue with some real TR stuff. We stayed at the Boardwalk, and so I thought it made sense to include some report about our experience there.

Room:

We had a studio which was perfectly ok. It was in good shape. We really liked the kitchenette. Not that we used it much, mainly the toaster for bagels (and some very expensive bread we bought at the Boardwalk store) and the microwave for warming up cinnamon rolls from the Boardwalk Bakery. But it was great to have a sink to properly wash the refillable mugs and to have a proper place to store food.

Katharina got to sleep on the sofa bed (there must be some advantage to being the DVC owner, so I got the real bed). I think she found it comfortable enough.

The room's location was partly great and partly horrible. We were on the second floor (this the same floor as the lobby) overlooking the “Village Green” which is the lawn between the boardwalk and the hotel lobby, just above the Wyland Gallery. The good thing was that we were close to nearly everywhere. The bad thing was that our room was hidden behind some archways. Therefore it was rather dark. When we were sitting on the balcony, we could still look out and being behind the arch gave us even some privacy, so it did not feel like everyone walking towards the lobby would stare at us... After we got to the room I even asked about changing it, but they said that nothing was available. We could have moved the next day, but would have had to pay a cleaning fee and we did not really want to unpack. But I think in a future stay I would do that. It wasn't really bad, it's just not something I want to have again, even though the location was absolutely perfect and we did love that.

Housekeeping:

I was really afraid that I would hate not having daily housekeeping. For me this is one of the luxuries of travel and I love getting my bathroom cleaned every day. However, it turned out that I did not mind it as much. I still would prefer if they came for a full clean every three or four days and I actually think I might splurge for that on future trips. We got a full clean on our fourth day and that was perfect, but then only trash and towel service after that.

However, the cleaning itself was efficient – and they left us plenty of towels!

Pool:

On one of the very first days we once checked out the quiet pool at the Boardwalk Villas. And somehow we thought it had a strange atmosphere – too quiet maybe? So we ended up only going to the main pool with the scary clown!

We loved that slide and went on it quite often – unless the line of kids was too long. We did feel a bit strange being the only grown ups among 15 kids or so...

I was a bit afraid that the pool party would really be annoying, but it was not at all. It was not loud at all, so it just added some party music.

A few days it was rather chilly and we only went down to the pool to lie in the sun and read. That was really nice at well and we never found the pool to be very crowded.

Overall I am really surprised how much I liked the pool. It was never a feature of the Boardwalk that attracted me the most, but then during the very chilly German winter this year I would daydream about it...

Food and Drink options:

I feel that the Boardwalk is very different from all other WDW resorts in that regard.

First, we did miss having a counter service restaurant. I liked the convenience of those at the other resorts I stayed at.

Because of the lack of CS restaurant the refillable mugs can be refilled at odd places. And you never refill them yourself. You just show them your mug and then you get a paper cup with the drink of your choice. We did refill the mugs at the Boardwalk Bakery, at Seashore Sweets (the candy store), at Bellevue Lounge (the bar) and at the pool bar. Mostly it is basic soft drinks, coffee and tea. But the variety of soft drinks is smaller than at the self service stations at the other resorts., but at the pool bar you can also get ginger ale for your refillable mug for free.

We did take our mugs with us twice when we went for a walk around the lake and got drinks at the Beach Club. I like the citrus ice tea they have from the self serve machines and was really happy that I could get some there!

We did get a sandwich at the Boardwalk Bakery on our last day and it was actually very delicious, but that was the only time we bought food there. It just wasn't that convenient for us.

We did get breakfast pastries from the Belle Vue Lounge a few mornings, but at one point got very tired of them. We would have loved to have a CS for breakfast like at the AKL.

What I liked were the many dining possibilities within walking distance. No bus transfers involved, just really easy to get to. And two of my favourite discoveries were actually breakfast at Fresh in the Dolphin and dinner at the Fountain at the Dolphin (more about dining experiences in a later update!).

I never thought I would become such a fan of the Boardwalk location!

I think we once took the boat back home from Epcot on a chilly evening, mainly because the boat was just about to finish taking guests on board when we passed it, so no wait at all for us. And once we took it back from DHS. Otherwise we walked to and from Epcot and DHS every single time. However, this might be a particular preference of Katharina and me since we both walk a lot in our daily life. Also, since we never do full days in the parks, we aren't on our feet for hours and hours.

I also liked the atmosphere of being in a resort area. As I said, we did venture to the Beach Club twice. Once just for a walk in the evening (I think it was the evening we arrived and we felt after 10 hours sitting on a plane we needed to stretch our legs) and then one afternoon we wanted to sit at the beach and read. I love AKL because it makes you feel so secluded and you can truly believe that you are in Africa. I always thought that at the Epcot resort area the proximity of the other resorts might take away some of the theme. But that really wasn't the case for me, it is just so beautiful there in general.

Merchandise:

I really wanted to get a Boardwalk fridge magnet. I had seen some very pretty ones years ago and nearly bought one then, but did not because it felt wrong to buy a magnet from a resort where I did not stay at. But when we got to the Boardwalk there was not one single piece of resort specific merchandise, just some boring DVC stuff. However, a few days before the end of our trip, this display appeared magically in the small shop just off the lobby:

And I got my magnet!! It is rather cute:

Old 10-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #982
tiggrbaby
We must work harder to stay under the radar for this oneWe always bring our own inflatable noodle

We stayed at BWV in 03 and I loved the clown slide, too! Our room was right by the quiet pool, but we never used it.

DISboards 2104 Book Challenge: 42/40
DISboards 2013 Book Challenge: 36/35
Old 10-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #983
Flossbolna

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggrbaby View Post
We stayed at BWV in 03 and I loved the clown slide, too! Our room was right by the quiet pool, but we never used it.
I think a view of the quiet pool would be a very nice view! Good to hear that the clown slide gets the approval from others as well!

Old 10-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #984
lovealldisney

Hi Magdalene,

Good to see you posting again! Nice review you mean you didn't take turns with you sisiter on the sleeping arrangements?? What would your mother say about this??? You should always share with your sister.... Then again your mother wasn't there... she'll never know...

Wendy
Old 10-08-2012, 07:56 AM   #985
Flossbolna

Quote:
Hi Magdalene,

Good to see you posting again! Nice review you mean you didn't take turns with you sisiter on the sleeping arrangements?? What would your mother say about this??? You should always share with your sister.... Then again your mother wasn't there... she'll never know...

Wendy
Hey, I already shared the room with my sister!!!

And then, I am sure she preferred to not have to sleep in the real bed as the telephone was on the nightstand next to the bed and ever since our trip to Greece Katharina hates sleeping next to the telephone in a hotel.

We were on our way to a Greek island and spent one night in a hotel in Piraeus to take the ferry to the island the next morning. The hotel was rather peculiar - for example Katharina was served a slice of "steamed toast" for breakfast in the morning. But the story with the telephone was that we had trouble sleeping at night as there were some people partying on our floor and they were very loud. At some point we had finally fallen asleep when the phone started to ring in the middle of the night and it was on Katharina's side of the bed. So she picked it up and I could here her sleepily saying again and again "But we didn't do anything". Afterwards she told me that it was the night concierge of the hotel saying that we should be quiet as other guests had complained about the noise we were making! Since then, I always have to take the telephone side of a bed...

Old 10-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #986
lovealldisney

I'm glad you liked the whole clown side of the hotel. My sister would have never stayed here, she is deathly afraid of clowns... I don't know why.

Hmmm this has me thinking Halloween is right around the corner we may have a clown costume in our decorations.... muhhahhahahhahahh she would kill me if I showed up at her door with that on.. Actually it's Dave's costume he enjoys scaring the trick or treaters (the older ones only!) It's quite the scary clown...
Old 10-08-2012, 01:20 PM   #987
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

I guess an erector set is a toy? Here in Germany the equivalent is the Märklin Baukasten:

Yes it is very similar... I'm sure it was inspired by those in fact... many American toys have some kind of earlier German inspiration... especially the building toys, stuffed animals and dolls... hmmm actually all of them...

Hmmm... I think that the whole Boardwalk location is hard to beat... access to Epcot and the Studios... and the wealth of dining choices... I do think having a well appointed quick service on site... like Mara at the AKL is a nice feature but it seems that every locations has its pluses and minuses and Disney probably does that to make all the locations appealing to different people...

I liked that Boardwalk merchandise.

I am really looking forward to staying at the Beach Club in 2 months... I have never stayed there but did stay at the Boardwalk about 10 years ago... since then it's been the Wilderness Lodge, the Polynesian... and the AKL (which I do truly love also.)

That clown pool seems to have a lot of controversy surrounding it... Clowns seem to have a deep psychological impact on people one way or another...
Old 10-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #988
Flossbolna

Quote:
I'm glad you liked the whole clown side of the hotel. My sister would have never stayed here, she is deathly afraid of clowns... I don't know why.

Hmmm this has me thinking Halloween is right around the corner we may have a clown costume in our decorations.... muhhahhahahhahahh she would kill me if I showed up at her door with that on.. Actually it's Dave's costume he enjoys scaring the trick or treaters (the older ones only!) It's quite the scary clown...
And there you were trying to tell me how to treat a sister in a previous post - I would never do anything like that to my sister!!! But then she is not afraid of clowns - only of bedside telephones...

Quote:

Yes it is very similar... I'm sure it was inspired by those in fact... many American toys have some kind of earlier German inspiration... especially the building toys, stuffed animals and dolls... hmmm actually all of them...
Germany - and especially my home town of Nuremberg has a lot of toy industry. Nuremberg hosts the world largest toy fair (a true business event, only open to buyers) every February. I once got a ticket for it through work and it was amazing. From the huge halls filled with tiny stalls with Chinese manufacturers who are selling cheap sand toys and such to the massive exhibition spaces of the big companies which often were closed in by walls and you could only enter by personal invitation as they were showing the new stuff for the next Christmas season there already.

Quote:
Hmmm... I think that the whole Boardwalk location is hard to beat... access to Epcot and the Studios... and the wealth of dining choices... I do think having a well appointed quick service on site... like Mara at the AKL is a nice feature but it seems that every locations has its pluses and minuses and Disney probably does that to make all the locations appealing to different people...

I liked that Boardwalk merchandise.
Yes, I think that is especially true for the Deluxe resorts and the DVC resorts. All of them have a special perk associated with them. I guess it is then just a question of personal taste and priorities!

Quote:
I am really looking forward to staying at the Beach Club in 2 months... I have never stayed there but did stay at the Boardwalk about 10 years ago... since then it's been the Wilderness Lodge, the Polynesian... and the AKL (which I do truly love also.)
I am sure that you will love your stay there! I am not a huge fan of the decor at the Beach Club, so I guess I will defer staying there until they will have updated the units there. I am sure they will do that at one point, like they did with OKW. Even the Boardwalk has gotten a new design rather recently and I like it better than the old rooms. But the location is nearly equally good as the Boardwalk - closer to Epcot, but further away from DHS. And then of course that pool!! I really want to try that one day!!!

Quote:
That clown pool seems to have a lot of controversy surrounding it... Clowns seem to have a deep psychological impact on people one way or another...
It is really strange how debated that clown is here in the DIS!

Old 10-08-2012, 04:00 PM   #989
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flossbolna View Post
Katharina got to sleep on the sofa bed (there must be some advantage to being the DVC owner, so I got the real bed). I think she found it comfortable enough.
Way to pull rank there.

Quote:
So we ended up only going to the main pool with the scary clown!
I have to admit, that clown gives me the creeps.

And good for you for using the slide. Why would you want to act like an adult at Disney World?

Quote:
You just show them your mug and then you get a paper cup with the drink of your choice.
That does sound odd.

Quote:
I never thought I would become such a fan of the Boardwalk location!
I can see where being able to walk to Epcot and DHS would be really great!

Quote:
I love AKL because it makes you feel so secluded and you can truly believe that you are in Africa. I always thought that at the Epcot resort area the proximity of the other resorts might take away some of the theme. But that really wasn't the case for me, it is just so beautiful there in general.
That's what I love about AKL and WL too. I don't get blown away by the theme at YC, BC, and Boardwalk. But then again, I grew up on the East Coast in America, so the theme doesn't feel very exotic to me.

Quote:
But when we got to the Boardwalk there was not one single piece of resort specific merchandise, just some boring DVC stuff.

Quote:
However, a few days before the end of our trip, this display appeared magically in the small shop just off the lobby:
Old 10-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #990
Poolrat
I am alive, sometimes I wonder too!
I probably would be glued to the side

Love the wrap up. Yes I need to go back to the Boardwalk. I have stayed there once before when the kids were much younger and the lack of a CS was an issue for us. Of course I was not on the DIS and did not know what I know now so it was a struggle.

I love that Boardwalk shirt and may need to walk over from the BC next wek to snatch it up.

Oh the phone thing in Greece would have had me You don't wake me up.... for ANY reason except fire.
POOLRAT PATI am a Disney Dork. 75- Contemporary,77- offsite Hyatt,86- offsite 1 day trip,88- offsite 1 day trip,98- Contemporary w/kids,01- All Stars Movies,05- Boardwalk,06- Coronado,07- Carribbean Beach,08- Beach Club,Oct 09 - POP/Coronado, Dec09/Jan 10 ASMu/ CSR , July '10-POP, Sept '10 POFQ,Oct '10 2X for F&W @ POP Oct'11-ASSp Dec '11-DVC SSR/AKL July '12- BCV, Sept '12- DL, Oct '12- BCV, Dec'12-POP Jan '13- OKW May '13-BWV Oct '13- BCV DEC '13- BCV May14-POP Aug 14- VWL Oct '14-DL Feb '15 -AKVK May '15 EEC- July'15 Big Birthday blowout ............ Can't wait to go back

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: