Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
Jays2013
Mouseketeer

Another Akershus vs. CRT thread

I know there are a number of these out there. I'm curious, however, which one folks think would meet our particular needs.

I ate at CRT once ... when I was about 15. I'm now much older than that. Somewhere there exists a photo of me with Cinderella. I look patient but unamused. I was a teenage science-fiction fan and was not into princesses. But I still remember how proud my dad was to take us there and it was cool to eat there. My husband hasn't been there at all despite numerous trips to WDW when he was a child.

Now my DH and I are considering our ADRs for our upcoming trip. We really think we'd like to take our boys to one "princess" meal. The younger one is 4, a born flirt who isn't bothered at all by the gender stereotype of "boys don't like princesses." (His first theater movie was "Brave," he thinks Mulan rocks and Ariel is "cute." ) The older one will be 8, but I'm very curious to see how he'll react to characters he can actually talk with. (He has Down Syndrome, hence some special needs, but can be quite verbal if he wants to. And, wow, can he also turn on the charm. I think it could be priceless.)

They don't care at all about the whole "princessy" thing; I just love the idea that there will be characters who would talk to them.

For our purposes, would you say CRT breakfast or Akershus dinner? There's the whole "eating in the castle" mystique to think of, but Akershus sounds a little more laid back.

Do any of the male "face characters" show up at either?

I looked at the Akershus menus, but had a hard time figuring out if the food is notably different than the usual fare. DH is not picky at all, but raises an eyebrow at the idea of Norwegian food. I'm a pescetarian who's a bit picky. I admit it.

What's the wishing ceremony at CRT? I've seen it mentioned, but don't know what it is. I don't think they had it 20-mumble years ago.

Thanks for reading the novel. Any advice appreciated!

Me DH DS1 (9) DS2 (5)

---
April 2013 Art of Animation Nemo
Feb. 2006 Pop Century
Nov. 2003 Coronado
Sept. 2002 Animal Kingdom Lodge (honeymoon!)
Three trips as a child,
including one stay at Port Orleans French Quarter
Jays2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #2
katclicks
Mouseketeer

My daughter and I did the princess dinner in Norway last November and loved the princess interaction. I was underwhelmed by the food. I am a pickier eater and did not have a problem finding something on the menu. It was just ok. We are planning a 5/13 trip and this is a maybe for us. My girls are both huge princess fans, but I am not sure I want to dine there again. The princess interaction was do good, my dd 5 told me during dinner her dream came true I am considering the 1900 park fare dinner buffet for our next trip. Prince Charming, the step sisters and mother and Cindy make appearances. Hope this helps
katclicks is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
VP037388
Mouseketeer

Akershus definitely! I never spell that right. We were just there and my boys are 7, 5 and 18 months. We did breakfast because I wasn't sure how the Norweigan food would work. Breakfast was good. The princesses make it a point to come to every table and we saw some twice. Belle at the start, Ariel, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty. If a child from another table comes up and tries to interrupt, the princesses do a very good job of telling them to "go to your table and wait" in a nice way. I was impressed.
They are really there for photo ops and autographs but they do talk and interact with the kids. Very accomodating.
There is a parade around the restaurant every 20 minutes or so and lasts about 2 min. You can participate or not. As soon as it's over, the princesses go back to the last table they were at so there is no one missed.
Additionally, before you are seated, you take a picture with Belle. This is in a separate room. We had the chance to talk with her and were not rushed which was a worry for me.
My 5 year old is flirty and admires the princesses "they are soooo beautiful". This worked out great and was his favorite meal the whole trip.
For comparison, we went to Bibbiti Bobbiti Boutique and did the "Knight Package" for the boys. In the end, they liked the spikey hair, sword and shield but complained bitterly that the whole salon was too girly and they needed a room just for boys. I can only imagine something similiar if we went to CRT. We would do this one (Akershus) again.

Last edited by VP037388; 10-06-2012 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Clarity
VP037388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Ok....I realize you are asking about CRT breakfast vs. Akershus dinner...but we have only done dinner at both...at CRT twice.

I think that eating in the castle is fantastic and definitely a must-do experience. I found the character interaction at CRT to be fantastic.
The food is not 5 star dining at each....but we really did not like the food at Akershus, right down to the kids not even liking their hot dogs.
I got the meatballs, which were lukewarm on the outside and downright cold on the inside. DH got the chicken which he states was "bland" and my DH doesn't even like really seasoned food so I know it had to be pretty bad. We were discussing ADRs for our upcoming trip and mentioned Akershus and my DD8 said "oh the place with the nasty food"

The food at CRT was better, though not excellent, but good. Our service has been better at CRT over Akershus too (our server disappeared for a very long time)

The wishing ceremony at CRT is really neat. All the girls get a magic wand and the boys get....a sword, maybe??? I've never paid attention to the boy stuff, sorry. But the announcement of the wishing ceremony comes on and the lights go dim and it gets all sparkly while you make your wishes. I love it!

Anyways, our family much preferred CRT to Akershus. Sorry for the novel.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #5
CoachKristy
Earning My Ears

We did Akershus in January for breakfast and it was nice. We met Belle, Aurora, Cinderella, Ariel, and Snow White. This was a character meal totally for my girls because the boys could have cared less. When we went to dinner at 1900 Park Fare the boys were more in to it because Prince Charming was there and the step sisters were hilarious. The food at Park Fare is amazing.

I know eating in the castle is the big draw but I have a hard time paying so much more for that when we had such a great experience at other places and met the same characters.

Trips to WDW: 1987, 2001, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

CoachKristy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:46 AM   #6
Jays2013
Mouseketeer

Thank you very much, folks. About three weeks to ADRs ... I will keep thinking about it! I have a feeling that by the time we return, the guys could be in the older "ewww, girly stuff" mode (ah, elementary-school boys ). So this might be our big chance.

Me DH DS1 (9) DS2 (5)

---
April 2013 Art of Animation Nemo
Feb. 2006 Pop Century
Nov. 2003 Coronado
Sept. 2002 Animal Kingdom Lodge (honeymoon!)
Three trips as a child,
including one stay at Port Orleans French Quarter
Jays2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #7
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

I think CRT would still be good for your boys. I don't think that it's stuffy at all and the princesses love, love, LOVE to give kisses to this little boys.

We only did breakfast at Ankershus because I couldn't really find anything on the menu that appealed to me and the breakfast was just meh to me. Everyone talks about the great cold buffet that has bagels and the like, but there's no toaster!

I think that eating in the castle is so very special and I would do it at least once with your boys so that you can say that you did and they can decide if they like it.

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: