Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
JnTa2
Earning My Ears

Not so magical...

I am a true Disney Fanatic. I dream about Disney, as I'm sure we all do. I usually go at least twice a year. This trip ( I just returned yesterday) was the first time I had been in 2 years (myself and my DH both opened new business in the last two years so it has been hard to get away). My DH had not been since 2005. This was probably the last trip we took together as a family as I have one adult son and one teenager that will be going away to college soon. It started off badly, and had a few ups, but mostly downs.

It started with our check-in. Since we drove in (a 9 hour drive for us) I had done online check-in the day before we arrived, so we could get straight to the park and our dinner at Le Cellier. We were staying at SSR in a 2BR Lock off so we were all registered to the same "room". Since both my DH and my adult son have the same name, the computer thought it was a duplicate and dropped one of them. This of course messed up our dining, as it now only had 3 people registered in the room. The cast member was very apologetic, but I was tired and tried to be understanding. She ended up having to completely rebook our reservation as the computer would not add the person back in. Of course this was not something she could do, and kept dissappearing into a back room. After about 45 minutes to an hour, the reservation was corrected and we recieved our Keys to the World. This made us have to rush to get to Canada for our dinner. We did make it in time, but it was touch and go.

Dinner at Le Cellier. While my dinner and my teen's dinner were fantastic, my DHs steak was room temperature at best, and my oldest son's pork chop was tough and tasteless. The service was mediocre. Our server was training a new cast member, but neither checked on us regularly. We had to alert them to refill our drinks. It was quite a dissappointement as I had talked about how good it was going to be to my DH since he's not a Disney Fan like me and was not excited about going in the first place.

Cape May Cafe: While we were not there so much for characters, we expected them to move around more quickly. We were seated as Donald was exiting our seating area. The breakfast was cold...all of it. The coffee was awful and the service was terrible. We were finished eating when Goofy finally showed up. We were able to see Minnie during the 20 minutes we waited to settle our bill. We were on our way out when Donald made an appearance in the restaurant (although not in our area).

The next couple of days were uneventful and filled with mediocre meals, long waits at the bus stops, and not the magic I normally experience.

MNSSHP: This was the purpose of my trip. I had planned everything around this special event. I had been once before (in '05) and could not wait to experience it again. The days before had been hot and humid during the day, and light drizzle in the evenings. There was the occasionaly rain, but usually only lasted 10 minutes. The night of the MNSSHP was completely different. It was hot and humid during the day (we went to AK) and returned to SSR and napped before going to MK. We arrived at approximately 5:30 and a torrential downpour began at 6:00 p.m. It didn't lighten up until almost 9:00 p.m. By this time the first parade had been cancelled and we were waiting for the fireworks. We hadn't ridden anything because it was like being in a hurricane (and being from south MS, I've seen my fair share) and the rides we did try were closed "due to inclement weather" (i.e. Thunder, Splash) or were closed due to technical difficulties (i.e. space mountain and buzz). We checked with Guest Services about a refund, but as it says on the eticket, refunds cannot be given due to inclement weather. We decided to stay, hoping the rain would let up for the 10:30 parade, but when it was announced that it would not run either, we left the park completely dissappointed. While I understand that they cannot control the weather, there should have been some compensation (i.e. refund, offer to attend the next event, something) but alas nothing.

Grand Floridian Cafe: One of my favorites, but not this time. My husband is a "meat and potatoes" kind of guy. He doesn't want to eat anything that has 9 adjectives to describe a cut of meat. He ordered what he thought would be the safest, the sirloin with mashed potatoes. The menu did not state that the potatoes were loaded with sauteed onions (which he doesn't like), so he was dissappointed there. He did point this out to the server who instead of offering to fix it, suggested more that once that he "just try it". His steak was also improperly prepared (supposed to be medium and it was closer to rare) so he sent it back. When it came back out, it was luke warm and very well done (again with onion filled potatoes). He compared it to the leather off of his shoe. Not an enjoyable experience.

The trip as a whole was very dissappointing. Mediocre food, mediocre service, closed rides due to technical difficulties, etc. To top off the trip, I had switched to my "Disney" bag on the first day of the trip and hid my purse in a drawer in the room and of course it was forgotten. I am currently waiting to hear from Lost and Found and am praying it is found.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
JnTa2
Earning My Ears

Update: Mousekeeping found my purse and will be overnighting it tomorrow, so I should have my things back by Tuesday! Doesn't make up for the disappointments on the trip, but at least one cast member, Marisol, has been so comforting and helpful. Interesting side note though, the Mousekeeping that cleaned our room did not find it, Marisol sent someone today to find it where I told her I had put it. Fortunately, the room had not been occupied since we checked out yesterday so it was still in its hiding place.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
BearcatsFan
we finally had a minute to breathe yesterday and sat down
Soak up the Sun

I am sorry your trip did not go as planned. It is so disappointing when you plan for such a long time, spend so much money, and then things go awry. I can identify!

At least your purse was found, which is good news. Hopefully your next trip will be more magical.

Loving all things Disney since 1976.
Old 10-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

That stinks about the MNSSHP. I have heard that they do give tickets for another day of the event. I would follow up with Guest Services?

I would be incredible upset too. I know you can't control what happens with weather but that would upset me very much

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
Old 10-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #5
jujube
DIS Veteran

So sorry your trip did not turn out as you had wished. Disney has unfortunately lost a lot of its magic from food to cast members. As Rachel suggested, contact guest services.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

I read somewhere on the Dis today (sorry, can't remember exactly where) where one poster got a full refund on MNSSHP tickets due to inclement weather.

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Old 10-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
inkedupmomma
If you live to be a 100, I hope to live to be 100 minus 1 day. So I never have to live without you.

I'm not sure what you are talking about as far as no refund or compensation as far as MNSSHP is concerned. They always do something to make up for bad weather, I'd call and ask again.

Sounds to me like you must have hit off servers while you were there. Wish I knew you booked GF... we had an awful experience and food there as well, and I would have steered you clear of there!

Glad your purse was found!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: