Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-07-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
Terapin
DIS Veteran

Advice needed re: injury right before race

Hi guys-

I have been totally dedicated to training - my first half marathon is in 7 days. I have been following the RUnning Room Half Marathon plan with a running group and instructor.

About 3 weeks ago I started to feel pain in my left knee during runs. It would be a bit sore afterwards the next day - nothing much, I didn't even journal it. I have been seen by a sports med MD and dx'd with FP syndrome and mild arthritis of the knees (yay being 40!).

I ran a 10k on Sept 22 and it was a bit worse afterwards with swelling this time and more pain, but still mild. The course was hilly, which is worse for my knees. The next day I was scheduled to run 18k but turned back early and turned it into 13k. I wasn't able to run the last few km at all - I could just tell that it wasn't doing my knee any good so I walked it out at a good pace.

I rested all week and on September 28 did both the Halloween 5k and the ToT 10 miler. I felt pretty good going into it - my knee felt 95% better. My knee actually didn't feel too bad until I was done, and then there was swelling and stiffness and aching. I was aware of my knee during the race, but it was minor discomfort.

This week I was scheduled to ramp down my mileage in prep for my Half on OCtober 14. I missed a 6k run on Tuesday due to a bad head cold, but ran a crappy 6k on Wednesday as scheduled (I was still all head cold-y, my knee hurt, so my pace was slower, I took an extra small walk break up a hill). Friday I was supposed to do 8k but my knee acutely HURT while running. Mostly on the inside of my knee beside the knee cap. I managed just 2k then converted it to a bike ride and rode 8k. After the bike ride I felt better and my knee wasn't sore anymore, but it still felt crappy.

I was supposed to do 6 yesterday, and 6 today. I have 10k, 6k, and 3k still scheduled before the race.

I have another appointment on Wednesday to see the sports med guy.

I have been icing it, resting it, elevating it, taping it before running (both McConnell and the KT instructions for FP), and taking naproxen. I have also been rolling the whole leg (and wow that helps with the stiffness).

I am a heavy runner - just over 200 pounds but I started running at 270 last summer so I am getting lighter.

Over the summer I gradually worked up my mileage to the 35-40k/week range just before this happened, so I have a good base.

My plan is to participate in the WDW weekend by running the half and walk/running the full in a *gentle* way but within pacing requirements.

My questions are these:
1) The resting that I have been forced to do, will it kill my half marathon performance next week? Not running is *NOT* an option. I have fundraised almost $1000 for the charity supporting the disease my son has.

2) Can I still get back into the game for January if I am able to get back up to distances by the end of the month?

I don't think I have done a major injury. I think it is minor but causing inflammation. Perhaps a small meniscus tear? With 5 days rest it felt almost normal, and I was able to run 21k that day, plus I walked around the parks that day, and it wasn't until afterwards that I felt discomfort. I have no instability of the knee, nor was there an acute injury.

What would be your recommendations for me? Please be kind - I have worked really hard for this, and am feeling so disappointed that I am working with this injury. I have been 100% dedicated to my training schedule and put so much effort into this. I have only missed 2 runs in the whole year!! I want to recover smart but recover so I can keep running! I feel like I have lost my best friend!

Thanks for the advice.

2014 Princess GSC! BLT/VGF/DCL stay
2014 Determined to do Dopey! BWV stay

Terapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: