Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 10:06 PM   #586
MEK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Are you sure you're allowed to use an Old Key West mug at Vero Beach? Watch, I bet this upsets the rhythm of the whole morning now. You're meddling with forces you cannot possibly comprehend.

I'm back to see your pictures and I was thinking the same thing, only there is no way I could articulate it quite as eloquently! My thoughts were - Is she REALLY going to have a matching mug for both VWL and BWV while we are there????.... and then I realized your mug didn't match. tsk tsk!

The pool water looks so perfectly blue! OMG - No wonder the boys wanted to go swimming.

You know - your mood might have improved considerably had you taken a spin on the death water slide (the one that gave me whiplash and a concussion)

The Empty Nester's Magical Mystery Tour I Told You Driving Was Bad for Your Health

Sorry Gaston, They are MUCH More Interesting than You!
Will You Chill Out if I Sprinkle You With Pixie Dust?

Remembering 9/11:MEK Original
Why Not Just Queue Up Another Disney Trip?
How Do You Think We Stay So Happy?
Inching My Way Closer to the Castle Sept 10 TR
Wheeling & Dealing at the WL May '10 TR
Play'in It at Pop Sept 09 Anniversary Trip
JUNE 09 TR...KICK'N IT AT KIDANI DH & I do Disney Solo! DEC 2008 June 2008 tripreport
My Trips 2002-Offsite 2003-POR 2004-Royal Pacific/Daytona Bch 2005-CBR 2006-Pop, SSR 2007-ASM 2008-Pop, Vero Bch/SSR, POFQ/SSR 2009-Kidani/CSR, Pop 2010- VWL, BLT 2011-POR/BCV, Disney's HHI Resort, OKW2012-Treehouse villa/BWV, VWL/BWV 2013-HHI, Secret off site location;BWV/AKL 2014- Tampa, ASSp/BCV, OKW
Old 10-05-2012, 01:14 AM   #587
burly
DIS Veteran

All. Caught. Up. Finally.
Late, true, but here. Love it. Great so far. And thanks for taking the time to write up a report.

Turtles? did you see any?

KIM
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #588
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Checking in !!! Life has been super busy with Free Trips, memory books meetings and LOTS of work !!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 10-05-2012, 01:53 PM   #589
WDWRids
Ready to go back!!

Stumbled upon your TR and LOVING the beginning....yes, I'm drinking my coffee as I read along!!!

Your family is adorable - can't wait to learn more about you all and your trip. Off to read more and drink my coffee!
Old 10-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #590
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennbo123 View Post
That high railing is kind of weird. Probably for accident liability purposes. Our balcony had slats, so at least you could see below the railing some, but others were like yours.
Oh I'm sure it's a building code requirement that they be a certain height. The absence of slats is really what made the difference so that it felt really enclosed. Huge difference between this

and this

Even though the total height is probably the same.

Not just the slats though, you can see the support columns and overall openings are smaller at Vero.

Quote:
I'm sorry about your morning. You must be the only family that has miscommunications and lacks mind-reading abilities. (That deserved a double-rolleyes.) But good for you for making the call and saying "here's what I wanted to do". I've asked Judy to do that with me in those oh-so-rare occasions when I'm not getting it.

Yep, everyone else can read minds and respond accordingly. It is hard for us girls to actually say "here's what I wanted, here's what happened" we do tend to sulk (ok maybe just me) and expect our loved ones to figure it out...or ask what's wrong. I honestly thought about the latter but realized at the end of the day that would only punish me and wasn't worth it. I'd sulked enough as it was already.

Quote:
I'm glad you got a photo of Eb & Flo's rental fee board, I looked at it but never thought to get a picture. I wish we'd had more time to do some of those things: bocce ball, croquet, bicycing....
there really are a ton of things to do! Loved your fishing update today, I cannot believe how many fish there were!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
That is EXACTLY the type of meltdown I have! Things like that happen to us frequently. I always say I shouldn't have to spell everything out, not that I expect you to read my mind, but you know me pretty well by now, right? How about some consideration? Blah, blah, blah...
Mars/Venus

I suspected I wasn't alone in that kind of meltdown.

No matter how well they "know" you...they don't think the same way and it more often than not doesn't even occur to them.

I hate spelling things out. I do get far better results when I do and I know that Jeff actually appreciates if/when I do. He will be the first to admit that subtlety is lost on him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mndisneygirl View Post
Was it pretty crowded when you were there? The pool looked fairly active.
It was. The pool, and beach were very active our entire trip. Fairly sure the resort was sold out. Not unbearably crowded though although if I recall (and I'd have to ask Evan) the slide was the longest consistent wait of any of the pool slides with the exception of Castaway Cay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post
Sorry to hear about your work challenges. Bad enough to have to do the work (which should not have been an issue if people had done their jobs before you left), but to have to use a MAC, deal with a poor connection and *shudders* sans mouse. ICK!!!
I was so frustrated with that computer. Which is silly. It is by far the newest in our house so should have been a piece of cake, right? But it wasn't and frustrated me even more when I am typically pretty darn fast and technologically savvy so I was as mad at myself as I was the laptop. But yeah, I was bitter at a certain co worker for sure.

Quote:
Oh, no!!! Faced with your situation, I would have had the same reaction! I love the beach, too! Being so close, yet not there. Not cool!!!
It is the week for meltdown updates! Mary Ellen and the gas cap, you with the photobomber and me with the beach deprivation.

Quote:
A long time ago, my DH and I went with a bunch of his coworkers to a cottage on Cape Cod. It was very drizzly when we arrived, but when the sun finally came out in the afternoon, and I was itching to hit the beach, the others pulled the curtains in the room and watched Scream. I wanted to scream!. And threw a hissy fit later that night and insisted that we leave instead of staying over as originally planned. I'm not going to be at the beach and not be AT the beach!
I am happy to say I learned from my fit and approached the next like situation, very differently.

An afternoon movie inside the room on a sunny day? I'd have left the building. And that night too. SO with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegoMom3 View Post
Next time, you bring me as your live-in/travel-along nanny/housekeeper. I love the pool and can stay there all day. And, I'm really good at cleaning.

As long as I can start my day with coffee on the verandah....

Depends on what kind of coffee you are talking about

Ah, can you imagine a live in nanny/housekeeper? I hate cleaning.

Sadly that wouldn't have fixed the work, laptop and connectivity issues.

I love the pool too but oh...sand between my toes, strolling down the beach, floating along with the surf....is magic. Restorative in a way that the pool, with kids, ...isn't.

Unless you are on a girls trip, with cocktails and noodles. Now THAT is relaxing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
Yikes for having to work on vacation! ..... and then having a computer you are not used to, so not fun!
Honestly, this trip I am bringing my work laptop. For 2 reasons. One I can work all the way there and back on the plane and save TWO days of vacation. Two, if something does come up, it will be easy to fix or respond to. Don't plan to mind you but it will give me peace of mind having it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneeat View Post
And I can VERY much relate to the family issues when you wanted to go to the beach as well. I would not have been a happy bunny either.
It can be hard to balance a bunch of different agendas. Especially if they are hidden ones. I'm trying to work on that and being more up front about what I want instead of hoping or assuming others feel the same.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #591
Flossbolna
Sea days are just so relaxing!
Once you are as old as I am, you will understand!

Somehow it seems that Vero was not really the best place for you - I hope this is going to change now that you finally get to the beach! First the bickering in the car, then you had to watch TV, work, the veranda issue and then having to hang out at the pool! And I consider all of them justified reasons for unhappiness in your case! No wonder that finally it all was too much!! But good to hear that you did not let it take you down too much and that you did something to resolve it!

However, we did get some lovely pool pictures in the meantime!
Disneyland 1992, 2005 Disneyland Paris 1995, 1997, 2003, 2007, 2011, 2x2012, 2014 Walt Disney World 2004 POR, 2007 AKL, 2008 AKL, 2009 Poly, 2010 AKL, 2011 BWV, May 2013 AKV Jambo Disney Cruise Line 2013 Wonder, 2014 Wonder
Trip Reports: 2013 TR DCL and WDW 2011 TR 2010 TR 2010 PTR Dining Reviews: 2009 2008 2007
New Trip Report: If You See It: Eat It! – Via Panama to Disneyland

Old 10-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #592
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Hey Cynthia, instead of pimping my ride, I'm pimping my new trip report: http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3003243 Thought you'd want to see as I'm having them close my old one.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

Old 10-05-2012, 04:10 PM   #593
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEK View Post
Posting from my phone. Ok I don't recall how high the railing was at Vero. Think Glen is probably right about the liability thing.
It's actually probably part of a couple of different codes, maybe as many as 4 or 5. If I really wanted, I could go look them up here in the office.

International Building Code (2009)
International Property and Maintenance Code (2009)
Whatever local code they use, plus probably And then some other exit codes by reference and of course the ADA by reference.

It was the lack of slats and smaller openings that made it feel much more enclosed (and hot) than would have been ideal. Don't get me wrong, it was still lovely!!! But not quite as relaxing as the one at OKW. Each of our verandahs had different pro's and cons.

Quote:
Nothing is more frustrating than a computer with slow internet service. Yuck to having to finish work on vacation. That stinks! Big time!
At a certain point (probably the next morning I think) I started using my phone as my "2nd" monitor. It was better as it was running on 3G. The continual loss of signal was a huge issue with it overriding and losing my changes. It did stink.

And it's far from over.

Quote:
The thing I really liked about Vero was how close the pool was to the beach. Of course the boys had to use the pool first. What did you expect? Lol.
The pool is close, although that almost made it more of a tease to me. Didn't bother anyone else. Well, probably bothered Jeff but he was trying to find the balance with Kendall's Phelps obsession, homework and her need to shower before going in the ocean. In some respects she was much higher maintenance that morning...I was just more verbal.

Quote:
You probably are ready for us to stop beating this joke into the ground by now, huh?
Nah.

Quote:
Are you sure you're allowed to use an Old Key West mug at Vero Beach? Watch, I bet this upsets the rhythm of the whole morning now. You're meddling with forces you cannot possibly comprehend.
Could be that created the bad morning karma. The in-villa mugs were too small! And I hadn't bought a Vero one at that point, hadn't been a lot of time for resort mug shopping the previous night. I do repeat the sin later in the trip.

Quote:
Top 10 Reasons to Procrastinate:

And bringing work along.

It was certainly NOT my idea to bring it along. It did however contribute to my lack of pre-departure stress, knowing it was coming but it did catch up with me with a bang.

Quote:
I've told my wife that I'm really working hard on my mind-reading skills, but this ESPN stuff is really hard.
I bet, all those scores and stats would make it really hard to hear the silent wishes all wives have like "it's be really nice if when you replace the toilet paper you'd actually put it on the roll"

Oh wait, that's one of MY wishes.

Quote:

"What we have here...is failure to communicate."
I can't even beat Glenn to a movie quote in my own TR!

Quote:
Sorry it was such a miserable morning. Surely it gets better from here, right? I hope?
Yes. I can truthfully say that it did. Which is not to say the work drama was over.

Quote:
Cool Hand Luke

Oops, sorry....wrong thread.
Jeesh, no wonder I have no points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolynK View Post
Good for you for not going the "if you don't know what's wrong I'm not going to tell you" route! No need for stewing on vacation
Oh it crossed my mind as I was stewing but I decided to get over myself, it would have just made it worse.

Quote:
During our stay, my daughter was taking an online summer school class for which we obviously needed internet...building 14 or 15 - yeah, had that issue too! There was constant nagging to get the work done while the connection was good.
Thank goodness she actually didn't need it for that. We thought she did sand is the main reason we'd brought it but it turned out she had a lot of book work to do and the internet would only be for unit tests...and she wouldn't be taking any while on the trip. Homework nagging was a huge recurring theme, one of the very few downers on the trip. She did not get close to completing what she should have and fought us most of the trip on it.

Made for a very ugly weekend before school started....right when her grandparents were in town.

Quote:
You're cranking out the report pretty quickly
Well I leave on my girls trip in a little over a week so wanted to get a few more updates out before that. LOTS of trip left, we are only on day 4 of 12 and day 4 is going to have several updates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misskitty3 View Post
Oh man, I am so sorry your day started out like that!! The truth is we have all BTDT!
I knew I could count on you guys for empathy! We all have, most definitely. And honestly, though there were other frustrating moments on the trip, this was my only official meltdown.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #594
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
I'm with you; if I'm near a beach I NEED to be on that beach.
I want to go back! To any beach

But we did book a couples getaway last night. No beach but I'm still very excited about it!

Quote:
Rough morning. We all have them.
true dat.

Quote:
I'm thinking the day can only get better.
It does

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
Aww...so sorry your morning started out so rough.
It does get better but it was definitely a low point for me on the trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
We are thinking of doing a beach trip next year. I love the beach. However, I know if there is a pool near by the boys are going to be heading there first. I can definitely understand your frustration!
It honestly didn't occur to me that they'd prefer the pool over the beach. In all fairness they'd yet to spend any real time at a "warm" beach so they didn't have much to compare it to, hence it not being as strong a pull I guess. Since I didn't anticipate that reaction, I probably overreacted in response!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
Awwww ... Everyone has days (mornings) like that ... I'm hoping your day picks up...
It does

Quote:
yuck to work on vacation...
Major yuck

Quote:
You should threaten to let everyone else plan vacations from now on ... maybe that would get everyone in line...
They thought they were in line, I was the only one with a problem so I'm not sure that would help much.

Quote:
I'm back to see your pictures and I was thinking the same thing, only there is no way I could articulate it quite as eloquently! My thoughts were - Is she REALLY going to have a matching mug for both VWL and BWV while we are there????.... and then I realized your mug didn't match. tsk tsk!
I might.

I might not.

All depends on if I like them!

I did not buy a mug at each location on this trip. But I did buy more than one.

Quote:
The pool water looks so perfectly blue! OMG - No wonder the boys wanted to go swimming.
Crazy beautiful huh!

Quote:
You know - your mood might have improved considerably had you taken a spin on the death water slide (the one that gave me whiplash and a concussion)

I just looked, Evan ranked it a "tie" with the one at OKW. I was not good about going on slides on the trip but there is an incident later .

Quote:
Originally Posted by burly View Post
All. Caught. Up. Finally.
Late, true, but here. Love it. Great so far. And thanks for taking the time to write up a report.
not all that late, we are only just starting day 4 our of 12!

Happy to have you here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burly View Post
Turtles? did you see any?

KIM
Oh that would be a spoiler now wouldn't it? We certainly were hoping to!
Old 10-05-2012, 10:39 PM   #595
EastYorkDisneyFan
DIS Veteran

I wonder if the difference in the railings has anything to do with hurricane protection. As WDW is ll inland they don't have to worry about storm surges from the ocean washing out balconies, if it's enclosed like the ones at vero beach then water can't get in to flood the unit as easily as if it had open slats.

You can dream, create, design and build the most wonderful place in the world, but it takes people to make the dream a reality.
- Walt Disney
Old 10-05-2012, 10:57 PM   #596
emma212010
DIS Veteran

I would have been frustrated too! That sounds like a rough morning!! I'm glad you finally got to go to the beach!! LOL!
1997-POFQ (First Visit!), 1998-ASMo, 2001-ASM, 2003-POFQ, 2003-CBR, 2005-offsite, 2006-offsite, 2007-Poly & offsite, 2009-POR, 2010-Dolphin & Poly, 2012- POP & POFQ, 2013 June-Dolphin, 2013 July- AKL, 2014 Jan- AoA, 2014 July- CBR

Visiting Mom for the holidays! January 2014 TR (Current)
Moving Mom to FL and DBF's first Disney trip June 2013 PTR and TR
Mother/Daughter June 2012 PTR and TR
Graduation/Anniversary Trip July 2010 TR
Old 10-06-2012, 08:02 AM   #597
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by eandesmom View Post
Nope, instead I expected everyone to want what I wanted (namely hit the beach NOW as soon as they'd eaten) and more importantly, read my mind, know what I wanted and magically just start doing it.
Been there... more times than I would like to admit!
Old 10-06-2012, 10:09 PM   #598
eandesmom
I'm with Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47
Checking in !!! Life has been super busy with Free Trips, memory books meetings and LOTS of work !!!!
You are a busy lady Rosie! I hope you can relax a little on your next trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWRids
Stumbled upon your TR and LOVING the beginning....yes, I'm drinking my coffee as I read along!!!
!!! So happy to have you here. Yay for coffee
Quote:
Originally Posted by "WDWRids
Your family is adorable - can't wait to learn more about you all and your trip. Off to read more and drink my coffee!
Thanks! I rather like them Most of the time lol.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:27 PM   #599
Millie12591
DIS Veteran

Oooh, girl! Have I ever had those sorts of days.

I'm of the opinion there has to be at least one melt down a trip or it's not an official trip.

You should have seen the one I had on our last trip. I ended up walking out on my family in 1900 Park Fare after telling my family some not so nice words. Not one of my finer moments....at. all. To be fair, I had just put up with some pretty snarky, disrespectful, behaviors from my son and my DH sided with my boy and didn't stick up for me. He got some not so choice words via text message, with him sitting in the restaurant and me out back of the GF.
Really pretty out there, good place to have a pout. I was sitting at a table (having a good cry) watching the workmen bring out all the equipment from having put in brand new carpeting in the GF lobby.

I'm sure your day got better from there.

Un-Tangled....How I Got My Life Back-PTR, You Just Lost 80 Pounds-TR
DisneyLand 1989-twice-Nov.1995, Nov.1998, Nov.2001
DisneyWorld-May'07-Stayed @ POP, July'08-Off Property, May'10-Stayed @ CSR, May '13- Stayed @ POP,AofA,CSR & POR-All in one trip!
Old 10-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #600
Charleston Princess
DIS Veteran

All caught up again, Cynthia!

I can identify with the sibling bickering in the car only too well. It happens more than I care to admit on some of our trips. Even when they each get their own aisle in the van.

I would have been ticked off about the beach thing, too.

Oh, and I agree about Macs versus PCs. There is just enough difference to frustrate me when I have to use a Mac.

Tags
animal kingdom villas, disney dream, old key west, vero beach resort

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: