Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
Rohais
DIS Veteran

Back Almost A Week - Highs and Lows

Well, we've been back for 6 days now, so I can just about bring myself to do a highs and lows! In the end we were too busy to update as we went along (sorry!) but I'll be doing a trip report, once our wedding photographs are in!

So..

Highs

Virgin Atlantic - there and back. They really helped re special assistance, I didn't have to mention anything as they read the note on my booking. On the way out, we checked in online but didn't print boarding passes and the check in assistant changed our seats for us when we dropped our bags off. We had English Rose for both the outbound and inbound journey, the refurbishment is brilliant. Comfortable seats - yes, in economy! and the JAM system is great! Lots of selection, plenty to occupy with.

Getting married in WDW! We got married on Luau Beach at The Polynesian, with a view of the castle opposite us. It was fabulous, especially with just the two of us. Absolutely perfect

Cast Members - we didn't bump into one miserable CM whatsoever, and most went above and beyond to make our trip extra special. We even had a few who helped sprinkle some extra pixie dust our way

Wishes Dessert Party - loved it. It was so convenient and the view was fabulous as you could see the full effect of the fireworks, to the side of the castle. The desserts/drinks/fruit were lovely too. Would definitely do it again next trip

The Food and Wine Festival - we only managed to go on Friday 28th, the day before flying home, and the official opening day. It was roasting hot and heaving. However, the bits we munched on were delicious and CM's were doing all they could to keep the lines moving as quickly as possible

MNSSHP - again, loved it. The parade and fireworks are FABULOUS. I didn't have as good a time as I was hoping to, but this was nothing to do with the event itself, or even Disney. More to come in the lows. Looking forward to doing it again, but with kids (going with 3 of our nieces/nephew hopefully) to do the bits we didn't get round to or didn't think about

Cirque du Soleil - as brilliant as I remembered it, and Gary thoroughly enjoyed it. I was worried as it isn't everyone's cup of tea but it was the perfect ending to our trip..even if I got picked on by the clowns before the show started!

Crowds - were a little busier than I was expecting but rides were walk ons, usually saying 20 mins but turning out to be 5/10mins.

Weather - was great! We had rain maybe 4 days, but only in the evening or for a couple of hours. It wasn't uncomfortably hot, expect for our last two days when it was top 90s.

Magical Express - first time using it and no problems whatsoever, would happily use again

DxDDP - it was great! It was a lot of food, which we were prepared for, but it gave us the option of eating at places that we wouldn't have usually and trying foods that we normally wouldn't have touched. Next time we will probably go with DVC, one way or another, so its enabled us to find out which restaurants are firm favourites and which we would give a miss to.

Lows

Buses. Now, in general, we didn't have many problems with the buses to AKL and then other times they felt awful. DTD is especially bad. It took us over two hours to get to one of our ADRs, using the bus system, at Artist Point (WL).

Scooters. There seemed to be a huge explosion in the number of scooters, rented from offsite companies, both in the parks and at the resorts! I was really really surprised. We had been waiting for 40 minutes for a bus from Magic Kingdom at close of park after EMH. We should have been getting on the next bus that turned up, but a scooter rolled up right up to the front with 6 family members and were loaded on first. I don't know if it irks me more because I was in agony (pain disorder), especially having waited for 40 minutes and then having to wait another 25 for the next one to show up. Two more scooters then showed up, with family, that were loaded first, so we ended up standing on the way home (not usually a problem, but was this time). Not a magical evening, despite a fabulous meal at Citricos. It just seems a little unfair and I think Disney need to come up with an idea for it as it is not working at the moment.

MNSSHP...and a wheelchair. I was determined this trip that I wasn't going to be using a wheelchair, but had no choice this evening as I was in such pain. I hated every second of it, I can't remember feeling so stressed and angry on the past trips (where I've essentially lived in the wheelchairs in-park). We ended up leaving not long after HalloWishes. We could not move, for the rude and ignorant people. I think in the whole TWENTY minutes it took us to get from the Main St Hub to the front of the park there was ONE person who stopped to let us pass. Each and every - blatant, oh lets turn around and walk backwards - stare, from children and adults alike, was making me more and more angry and upset...I don't remember it being that bad before and is really making me reconsider how we 'tour' Disney as I will not be using one again if I can help it. I know it isn't so bad during the day, but it would have ruined MNSSHP if the parade and fireworks weren't so great.

So, all in all, a fabulous holiday/wedding/honeymoon! Can't wait for our next trip!

Kayleigh (24) Gary (25)
July 2005 POFQ
July 2007 POFQ
August 2009 AKL - We got engaged!
September 2012 AKL - We got married!

Rohais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
Tinkerbell1989
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you had a beautiful holiday and the wedding sounds perfect! Can't wait to see photos of the wedding and hear about the rest of your trip! Xx

2013's Big Celebration Christmas Trip 'Finally got my own way!'...October 2012 TR Playing 'I Spy' in Disney... December 2010 TR Our Youtube Channel

DLRP August 2004 DLRP June 2008

WDW October 2000 WDW April 2003 WDW December 2006 WDW December 2010 WDW CSR October 2012 WDW December 2013
Tinkerbell1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
disneyholic family
Wayne always catches me
i cannot wear anything between my toes

oh oh - i'm going to have my mom in a wheelchair for the halloween party...i hope it works out ok....
Old 10-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
PJB71
DIS Veteran

Welcome home

Really pleased you had a fantastic time & can't wait to hear more especially about the wedding
Old 10-06-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
queendisney
DIS Veteran

sounds like you had a wonderful time. Many congratulations on your wedding it sounds lovely and romantic.

I know what you mean about the scooters. That happened to us as well at MK..we stood for ages while scooters just turned up and jumped in front. I understand the need for scooters etc but I don't see why they should have priority to jump in front at the bus stop. I think they need to look at this problem as well as there does indeed seem to be more scooters each year. End of rant!!

Walt Disney World resort 18 times, off resort 2 times. Disneyland Paris approx. 20 times. Disneyland California.
queendisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

Would love to see your wedding pics
20ish trips to USA 1997 onwards including All Star Movies Dec 2009 with DDP, OKW Oct 2010 with DDP, Floridays Resort Oct 2011, Bahama Bay resort May 2012, OKW Oct 2012 with DxDDP, All Star Movies Oct 2013 with DDP

DH 39 Me 39 DD 8

Perfectly Princess Tea Party Review Disney Dining 2010 Review
Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
Dixons go Deluxe Oct/Nov 12
dixonsontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:04 AM   #7
Laurafoster
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you had a great time I saw some of your wedding photos on Facebook and they look amazing!

We have had the same issue with scooters/ wheelchairs on previous trips. I do understand the need for them but really don't agree it's fair that they ( and their whole family usually) get priority.

I have also noticed issues with scooters/wheelchairs at crowded special events. We actually had the similar problems with a pushchair this year (not as bad but still frustrating) some one was in such a hurry to get past us he actually fell on my daughter. Then complained about the number of pushchairs in the park. We tend to o at quieter times of year so have only noticed these issues at the special events.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:09 AM   #8
joolz1910
I would have gone down to reception in my robe and slippers
I can't decide if it's sweet or sinister

Sounds like you had a magical time.

I don't see why scooter-users should jump bus queues. My MIL is registered disabled and she would never do this!
2009 DLRP (DLH)
'Just Like we Dreamed it...at the DLH'
2011 DLP (Cheyenne)
2012 OKW at WDW 'A Whole New World'

joolz1910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:14 AM   #9
catherine
Hey not fair, you guys already have a bunch of tags, and poor me I haven't got one
Cheer up. You've been tagged by the tag fairie

Congratulations on your wedding! It sounds like overall you had a wonderful trip. Sorry that you had to deal with some rude and ignorant people. From reading the last several highs and lows it seems like this is a recurring problem!

"In the middle of difficulty, lies opportunity." Albert Einstein

catherine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:28 AM   #10
Mr Stoat
Mouseketeer

Congrats on your wedding! Sorry to hear the busses did not work out for you, we usualy have no problems with them. The best method of getting to Wilderness Lodge from another resort is to catch a MK bus, then walk along to near the park entrance and pick up the resort boat, a very enjoyable way to arrive at WL.
Mr Stoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:38 AM   #11
princess_ariel_85
DIS Veteran

Welcome home and congratulations on your wedding. Luau beach is lovely. I would love to see some photos of your big day.

Glad to hear you had a wonderful time and that it was mostly high points.

I think the buses can be hit and miss. One night we were coming back from MK and we joined a queue for the Pop Century bus that not only took up all of the area for that particular bus stop but the queue also extended right down past all the other bus stops. We waited an hour for the bus that night and I'm guessing some people waited twice that. It was chaos because it seemed like it was the same situation for the All Star Resorts and AoA.

Don't let rude and ignorant people put you off using a wheel chair, if you need it you need it. You don't need to suffer because of these people. Unfortunately the are rude and ignorant people everywhere.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:24 PM   #12
Wills Mom
DIS Veteran

Congrats on tying the knot Glad to see you had so many high points And the scooters would have really bothered me too! Can't wait to read your trip report

Wills First Adventure TR May 2013

Wills Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:44 AM   #13
dtm316
Mouseketeer

Glad to see you had an overall good trip, and I know what you mean about getting around in a wheelchair. On our last trip the DW ended up in a wheelchair after conveniently picking up a chest infection a day or two before travelling (unfortunately this went undiagnosed by doctors in the US) and she was in a wheelchair for the first week as she had trouble catching her breath. Now whereas the CM's were excellent I feel your pain about navigating the crowds as they were terrible, I have a new found respect for anyone with a wheelchair, ECV or stroller and will make sure that I pay very close attention in the future to make sure they are not blocked by me in anyway.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #14
tigger137
"Smile and wave boys, just smile and wave ..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohais View Post
Getting married in WDW! We got married on Luau Beach at The Polynesian, with a view of the castle opposite us. It was fabulous, especially with just the two of us. Absolutely perfect
Congratulations! What a wonderful location to get married.

Quote:
Scooters. There seemed to be a huge explosion in the number of scooters, rented from offsite companies, both in the parks and at the resorts! I was really really surprised. We had been waiting for 40 minutes for a bus from Magic Kingdom at close of park after EMH. We should have been getting on the next bus that turned up, but a scooter rolled up right up to the front with 6 family members and were loaded on first. I don't know if it irks me more because I was in agony (pain disorder), especially having waited for 40 minutes and then having to wait another 25 for the next one to show up. Two more scooters then showed up, with family, that were loaded first, so we ended up standing on the way home (not usually a problem, but was this time). Not a magical evening, despite a fabulous meal at Citricos. It just seems a little unfair and I think Disney need to come up with an idea for it as it is not working at the moment.
I also think there's been a big increase in the number of scooters over the last few years and they do adversely impact other bus users, especially when large family groups are allowed to 'jump the queue' with the scooter user. Also, I know people have varying levels of disability, but I'm always surprised how many scooter users manoeuvre it onto the bus then get off it and walk with apparent ease to a seat some distance away.

One idea would perhaps be to only allow one family member per scooter to accompany the scooter user, not the whole group.

But I think a better idea would be to have a version of 'Ring and Ride', the bus service we have in our area for those people who find it difficult to travel on the regular buses. This could use smaller vehicles that have wheelchair and scooter access, and perhaps be 'on demand' rather than running to a schedule. From their hotel, guests could request transport at Guest Services. At the parks, there could be a special area with a phone for guests to request this transport.

With people making requests, the despatchers could plan the most efficient use of the vehicles, and give people a pretty accurate idea of when they would be picked up. Scooter users and their families would benefit from a dedicated service, and the regular buses wouldn't be subject to the delays which result from an unknown number of scooter users needing to be loaded and unloaded.

tigger137 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: