DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 11:42 PM   #1
LisaT91403
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 770

Aulani Location Suggestions

We have reserved a 2 bedroom villa (using points) for the first week of November. We will have an Island Gardens view. Are there any Aulani location/view experts out there who can make a recommendation as to what kind of request I should make in regards to room location, especially in regards to the construction? I've seen a that they are starting to use the new Ewa tower (?) in Phase 3. Is that something I should request? What exactly would you request if you were in my shoes?

Thanks!
LisaT91403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
wdrl
DIS Veteran
 
wdrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: BLT, AKV, Aulani
Posts: 2,533

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaT91403 View Post
We have reserved a 2 bedroom villa (using points) for the first week of November. We will have an Island Gardens view. Are there any Aulani location/view experts out there who can make a recommendation as to what kind of request I should make in regards to room location, especially in regards to the construction? I've seen a that they are starting to use the new Ewa tower (?) in Phase 3. Is that something I should request? What exactly would you request if you were in my shoes?

Thanks!
I suggest you take a look at the Aulani Villas and Views thread. It shows the layout of the resort and the location of the villas.

If I had an Island View villa, I would probably request a villa in the short wing of the Ewa Building in the newly opened Phase 3 (Note: I don't think the Long Wing of Phase 3 -- villas xx70-xx89 -- will be open in November). Specifically, I'd ask for a villa facing the ocean. These villas have even room numbers ranging from xx60-xx68. These villas might give you a glimpse of the ocean and sunset. And since these villas overlook the lawn upon which the Starlit Hui show is performed, you might be able to watch the Starlit Hui show from your balcony. The drawback to these Island View villas is that they are only on floors 1-5. If you prefer a higher floor, then you need to request an odd-numbered room.

As I understand it, the construction projects that will be ongoing in November are primarily around the Wailana Pool in the northwest corner of the resort. If you are in the Ewa Building, which is on the opposite side of the resort, you probably won't see many signs of construction. We were told by the Director of DVC sales at Aulani that one reason why Aulani is opening part of Phase 3 ahead of schedule is so guests can be moved away from the part of the Waianae Building that might overlook some of the construction.

In case you haven't already seen it, there is an article on the DVC News about Aulani's upcoming construction projects.

Hope this information helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
__________________
wdrl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #3
dstupper
@dstupper
 
dstupper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kapolei Hawaii
Posts: 78

Wow! WDRL reveals all the secrets :-) Our fav room is 104 (pool view), but we have a 5 year old, and always bring her a friend, so we just open the lani door and hit the play area. We did have a garden view once, and found that it didnt matter much, as you spend 90% of your time in the play areas taking advantage of all the fun. WDRLs link will take all the guessing out.
__________________
@dstupper Twitter
Dave-Sally Tupper Foursquare
dstupper instagram

Live in Kapolei HI, Love spoiling my 5 year old Princess
dstupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #4
DisWitt
Fan of Disney 1.0 - aka Disneyland
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: near Anaheim, CA
Posts: 178

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdrl View Post
I suggest you take a look at the Aulani Villas and Views thread. It shows the layout of the resort and the location of the villas.

If I had an Island View villa, I would probably request a villa in the short wing of the Ewa Building in the newly opened Phase 3 (Note: I don't think the Long Wing of Phase 3 -- villas xx70-xx89 -- will be open in November). .

I can share that some rooms in the long part of Ewa Tower were open last week and occupied. But like, WDRL, I think for IV the short Ewa Tower overlooking the Hui and wedding chapel would be great... And convenient to the elevator. Some of the Ewa Tower rooms near the ocean are a long walk to the lobby and elevators. Otherwise, IV on the back of Waianae facing the Wailana Pool and spa are great, too, if not closed during construction (I heard that ALL rooms would be closed soon).
__________________

Aulani Owner since 7/2010
DisWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
wdrl
DIS Veteran
 
wdrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: BLT, AKV, Aulani
Posts: 2,533

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisWitt View Post
I can share that some rooms in the long part of Ewa Tower were open last week and occupied. But like, WDRL, I think for IV the short Ewa Tower overlooking the Hui and wedding chapel would be great... And convenient to the elevator. Some of the Ewa Tower rooms near the ocean are a long walk to the lobby and elevators. Otherwise, IV on the back of Waianae facing the Wailana Pool and spa are great, too, if not closed during construction (I heard that ALL rooms would be closed soon).
Thanks for the update, DisWitt. I'm glad to hear Aulani has opened both parts of Phase 3. When we were at Aulani last month, the CMs mentioned that the Short Wing (xx60-xx68) of the Phase 3 Ewa Building would open soon, but they made no mention of the Long Wing (xx70-xx89). The CMs also mentioned that guests would be moved away from area closest to the construction projects. I'm assuming this means that the odd-numbered villas in the Waianae Building (xx03-xx13) are not being used while the construction is at its peak. Do you know if Aulani is shutting down even the villas on the highest floors?

A note about elevators: My Aulani charts in the Aulani Villas and Views thread don't show where the elevators are located. In the Ewa Building, the main bank of elevators that service the villas is located where the Short Wing and Long Wing intersect with the Phase 1 Building. Villas xx58, xx60,and xx70 are closest to the elevators. In the Waianae Building, xx12 is closest to the bank of elevators. In my opinion, even the villas furthest from the elevators -- the GVs in xx01 and xx89 -- aren't that far from the elevators.
__________________
wdrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:47 PM   #6
LisaT91403
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 770

I am the OP...checking back in now that I've studied the map and heard reports of Phase 3 opening. I appreciate the help!

So I've identified my ideal locations given that we have an IV dedicated 2 bedroom:

1. Long Wing Ewa, 10th floor or higher (e.g. xx81)
2. Long Wing Ewa, 10th floor or higher (e.g. xx75)
3. Short Wing Ewa, 5th floor (560)

I have 2 questions in regards to this. Are both Phase I and Phase III called "Ewa"? That's confusing to me.

Second question -- how specific can I be when making a room request? I've never done this before. Can I ask for what I've listed above, or should it be worded differently? Or is that too specific to be considered reasonable? I realize that it's just a request, and nothing more.

Thanks!
LisaT91403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
wdrl
DIS Veteran
 
wdrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: BLT, AKV, Aulani
Posts: 2,533

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaT91403 View Post
I am the OP...checking back in now that I've studied the map and heard reports of Phase 3 opening. I appreciate the help!

So I've identified my ideal locations given that we have an IV dedicated 2 bedroom:

1. Long Wing Ewa, 10th floor or higher (e.g. xx81)
2. Long Wing Ewa, 10th floor or higher (e.g. xx75)
3. Short Wing Ewa, 5th floor (560)

I have 2 questions in regards to this. Are both Phase I and Phase III called "Ewa"? That's confusing to me.

Second question -- how specific can I be when making a room request? I've never done this before. Can I ask for what I've listed above, or should it be worded differently? Or is that too specific to be considered reasonable? I realize that it's just a request, and nothing more.

Thanks!
Both Phase 1 and Phase 3 are on the Ewa side of Aulani. When you stand in the lobby and face the ocean, the left side of the resort is called Ewa (E-va), the feminine side. The right side of the resort is called Waianae (why-ah-KNEE), the masculine side. I'll probably always refer to the three DVC sections that make up the Ewa side as "the Phase 1 Building", "the Phase 3 Short Wing", and "the Phase 3 Long Wing."

When making room requests, the conventional wisdom is to avoid specific room numbers. If you ask for 1075 and its occupied on your check-in date, the room assigner won't know what your second choice might be. I think its best to keep my request fairly simple, such as "high floor." By the way, at Aulani I don't think there is a need to ask to be near an elevator because none of the hallways at Aulani are that long.
__________________
wdrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:20 PM   #8
LisaT91403
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 770

So do you think it would be okay to ask for a room "on a high floor in the new building that just opened?" We are going the first week of November.

Thanks so much for your help!

Last edited by LisaT91403; 10-09-2012 at 09:37 PM.
LisaT91403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:25 PM   #9
wdrl
DIS Veteran
 
wdrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: BLT, AKV, Aulani
Posts: 2,533

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaT91403 View Post
So do you think it would be okay to ask for a room "on a high floor in the new building that just opened?" We are going the first week of November.

Thanks so much for your help!
Yes. In fact, there is a good chance that you'll be assigned a villa in the new Phase 3 wings. As I understand it, Disney is moving guests away from the Island View villas in the Waianae Building and using the rooms in Phase 3 instead.

By the way, here is a link to our Aulani trip report. It might have some info and photos that you'll find interesting.
__________________
wdrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:44 PM   #10
dstupper
@dstupper
 
dstupper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kapolei Hawaii
Posts: 78

I agree, you have to give them options, but these people live to accommodate you as much as humanly possible! We have almost always been placed in exactly the room we asked for. I really don't know if there is a bad room in the whole place though
__________________
@dstupper Twitter
Dave-Sally Tupper Foursquare
dstupper instagram

Live in Kapolei HI, Love spoiling my 5 year old Princess
dstupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #11
LisaT91403
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 770

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdrl View Post
Yes. In fact, there is a good chance that you'll be assigned a villa in the new Phase 3 wings. As I understand it, Disney is moving guests away from the Island View villas in the Waianae Building and using the rooms in Phase 3 instead.

By the way, here is a link to our Aulani trip report. It might have some info and photos that you'll find interesting.
You have been incredibly helpful -- thank you so much! I read every word of your trip report, and am even more excited than ever about our upcoming trip. We are absolutely determined to have an amazing time, construction or no construction! :-)


Quote:
Originally Posted by dstupper View Post
I agree, you have to give them options, but these people live to accommodate you as much as humanly possible! We have almost always been placed in exactly the room we asked for. I really don't know if there is a bad room in the whole place though
I am definitely going to put in the request, and hope for the best. We will be in Hawaii at Aulani, so it will be fantastic no matter which specific villa we get. I can hardly wait!
LisaT91403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:27 PM   #12
dstupper
@dstupper
 
dstupper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kapolei Hawaii
Posts: 78

Lisa T, definitely think about renting a car. 3-5 min drive away is Target where you can buy groceries. You feel allot better about splashing out for a meal @ AMA AMA if you have saved some money on other meals. The tour of "Aunites Playhouse" is @ 0900... Careful, you won't want to just leave your kids.. You will want to stay :-)
__________________
@dstupper Twitter
Dave-Sally Tupper Foursquare
dstupper instagram

Live in Kapolei HI, Love spoiling my 5 year old Princess
dstupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #13
ChiSoxKeith
DIS Veteran
 
ChiSoxKeith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Elgin, IL
Posts: 2,174

Right by the target is a Costco and a Safeway grocery store. I recommend (if you get the car) getting a Safeway member discount card (free when you show up) as the grocery discounts were pretty significant.
__________________
You would think the 60+ minutes I put into running the weekly photo contests would allow me to put a link in my signature letting people know about the Disney related iPhone projects I work on. You would be wrong.
ChiSoxKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:50 PM   #14
LisaT91403
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 770

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstupper View Post
Lisa T, definitely think about renting a car. 3-5 min drive away is Target where you can buy groceries. You feel allot better about splashing out for a meal @ AMA AMA if you have saved some money on other meals. The tour of "Aunites Playhouse" is @ 0900... Careful, you won't want to just leave your kids.. You will want to stay :-)
We are renting a car. It seems like the best way to get from the airport to Aulani, and my train-obsessed son wants to go to the Dole Plantation. I figured we'd use the car to get groceries and go out to dinner here and there.

I am hoping my son wants to stay and play at Aunty's after the tour is over. He goes to preschool, but he has friends there. Not sure how he's going to like being left there alone. Keeping my fingers crossed :-)
LisaT91403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:11 PM   #15
dstupper
@dstupper
 
dstupper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kapolei Hawaii
Posts: 78

We use the 0900 "open house" to make a big deal about all the stuff. That way, it's easier for them to go in and play. Don't worry too much, the place is amazing, and the people make a big deal about the kids. Hours are 10am-9pm.
__________________
@dstupper Twitter
Dave-Sally Tupper Foursquare
dstupper instagram

Live in Kapolei HI, Love spoiling my 5 year old Princess
dstupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

DVC-Resales.com | 1-800-550-6493 (Contact The Timeshare Store) | DVC Resale Listings

facebooktwittergoogle plus youtube itunesDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.