Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
kandb
DIS Veteran

OT-Washington, DC

We are bringing our children (9,9,3) there in November for 3 full days. I think we will spend a day at the zoo. Any other suggestions? We are staying in DC, around 3 blocks from the mall. Any recommendations for dinner? Thanks
kandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
Missy13d69
DIS Veteran

Check out the website for the Smithsonian. They have like 7 different museums, all are free (sans 1, I think). They are really neat, and interesting. Especially the one about space.

Missy13d69 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 06:34 AM   #3
Elleshoodat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb
We are bringing our children (9,9,3) there in November for 3 full days. I think we will spend a day at the zoo. Any other suggestions? We are staying in DC, around 3 blocks from the mall. Any recommendations for dinner? Thanks
The zoo is lovely! Don't miss the giant pandas.

You should spend a day exploring the Mall, seeing the monuments and memorials and some of the museums (all are free). My favorites are Air & Space and Natural History, both of which are great for kids.

I'm not sure about family-friendly dining. I know there are options, but I'm not familiar with them.

Have fun! Washington is a beautiful, clean city.

Thanksgiving 1988, Offsite * June 1991, Beach Club * Easter 1995, Dixie Landings * June 1999, All-Star Movies * Easter 2005, Offsite * September 2007, Caribbean Beach * October 2008, Lake Buena Vista Best Western * May 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * October 2009, Port Orleans Riverside * April 2010, Port Orleans French Quarter * May 2012, Port Orleans French Quarter (Read our trip report here!) * October 2013, Wilderness Lodge
Elleshoodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:11 AM   #4
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

National air and space museum
Old 10-06-2012, 07:23 AM   #5
billwendy
DIS Veteran

We love the Air and Space, National History and American History museums for sure! Have FUN!!! Its also fun to just hang out in the mall,fly a kite, have a picnic and play!!!

Traumatic Brain Injury 2/5 & 9/6/2013
March is TBI Awareness Month!
Life changes in an instant! Shine On!
billwendy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:58 AM   #6
theduhaimes
Mouseketeer

We have spent several long weekends in DC with the kids. They loved the Smithsonians, especially the Air and Space, Natural History and American History.
For dinner we did the Hard Rock Cafe one night and the kids really enjoyed that but I do not remember where it was located (not to far from the Mall). Other nights I think we have done Pizzeria Uno or Ruby Tuesdays (again not sure of addresses but not to far from the Mall).
Good luck with Planning and enjoy your trip!
theduhaimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
kandb
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone for the info. It's much appreciated.
kandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:56 PM   #8
DopeyDame
DIS Veteran

Like others have said, you could easily spend all your time on the mall at the monuments and museums. But if you're looking for some other things:
1. National Building Museum (great play room for the littlest one)
2. Spy Museum, especially for the 9 year olds
3. National Archives. A must for every American. You can make reservations in advance, which I'd really suggest. The lines can get long. This is where the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, etc. are.
4. The Library of Congress is an absolutely amazing building. Not especially kid friendly, but worth at least popping in if you're near by.
5. Depending on your kids, consider the Holocaust Museum. It's amazing and incredibly well done, but obviously a very difficult topic, so use caution. 9 is probably a border-line age.
6. The Capitol

The National Indian Museum and the National Gallery probably have the best restaurants of the Smithsonians. Old Ebbitt Grill has always been a good standby for my family for dinner. I haven't taken my 3 year old yet, but if your kids are used to sit-down meals, they should be fine. Union Station (the big train station) has a huge food court in the basement and several restaurants.

I also have heard great things about the Newseum, but I haven't been.

Have a fantastic trip!
DopeyDame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:31 AM   #9
donac
BL6 Black Team Captain
The Vanilla Rooibus was heavenly
Heigh ho - Heigh ho - It's off to lose weight I go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by billwendy View Post
We love the Air and Space, National History and American History museums for sure! Have FUN!!! Its also fun to just hang out in the mall,fly a kite, have a picnic and play!!!
My sons loved tall three of these building when we took them. They were a little younger than your guys.

When in Nov are you going?
Dona July 1980 with DH family Nov 1984 Last trip before kids Aug 1988 Poly 10th AnnvAug 1992 Port Orleans Other trips I can't nameAug 2002 POFQ, FW, AS sp with Sean and the girls Aug 2003 FW Our 25th Annv Trip Aug 2005 Camping with the Knotts Aug 2006 Twin Sister Trip Aug 2008 30 Anniv/grad Trip 2009 POFQ just us 2012 Grand Gathering with Sedlaks
donac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 05:04 AM   #10
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeyDame View Post
Like others have said, you could easily spend all your time on the mall at the monuments and museums. But if you're looking for some other things:
3. National Archives. A must for every American. You can make reservations in advance, which I'd really suggest. The lines can get long. This is where the Constitution, Declaration of Independence, etc. are.
4. The Library of Congress is an absolutely amazing building. Not especially kid friendly, but worth at least popping in if you're near by.
5. Depending on your kids, consider the Holocaust Museum. It's amazing and incredibly well done, but obviously a very difficult topic, so use caution. 9 is probably a border-line age.
6. The Capitol

The National Indian Museum and the National Gallery probably have the best restaurants of the Smithsonians. Old Ebbitt Grill has always been a good standby for my family for dinner. I haven't taken my 3 year old yet, but if your kids are used to sit-down meals, they should be fine. Union Station (the big train station) has a huge food court in the basement and several restaurants.

Have a fantastic trip!
I'll second the Native American Museum's cafe. Really interesting, reasonably-priced dining options.

The Old Post Office Building has a huge Food Court and you can tour the bell tower and get amazing views- a nice alternative to the Washington Monument which is currently closed to tourists.

There was another food court in the JW Marriott where we stayed.

How soon are you going? If it is several months out, you can contact one of your senators to see if you can tour the first floor of the White House during your stay.

ETA- I saw that your trip is in Nov, so I don't think that is enough time to arrange to see the inside of the White House, but everyday of our trip we took a walk around the White House. Saw Bo, the Obama's dog, on one of our visits.

Last edited by natebenma; 10-07-2012 at 05:23 AM.
natebenma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #11
momto2js
DIS Veteran

Here is my best tip for your zoo day. The zoo is built in to a hill in Rock Creek Park. The best "touring" stratagy is to go into the zoo and walk down the hill and then start "touring" at the bottem. Then you will work your way back up. Otherwise you tour on the way down and by the time you are done and tired, you have to hike back up the hill.

Another tip assuming you are using the Metro rail to get to the zoo. The zoo is beween the cleveland and woodly park stations on the red line. The cleveland park station is "uphill" from the zoo and woodly park is down hill. So smart folks take the train to cleveland park and then return from woodly.

Another activity for your older kids. One day (during the day) it is worth a drive if you have a car through some of the poorer neighborhoods and then to compare and contrast how it is possible to have so much poverty two or three blocks from the marble and mohogany of the government and tourist areas.

Another thought is to contact your senator or house rep and see if they can arrange a capital tour for your arrival or departure day. The paiges are usually really really good.
momto2js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #12
sbtw13
Earning My Ears

definitely write your Congressmen or Senator-- they can get you tickets to lots of things, and that is a slow time in DC so there is probably some availability (you might just check their website).
You can watch both the Congress and the Supreme Court in session if they are in session while you are there.
If I had 3 days with kids in DC I might or might not go to the zoo (and we like the zoo- we are FONZ members). It depends on how available zoo's are to you back home and what they are like.
I would focus more on things that are super unique to DC-- the museums, the monuments, the White house, the Capitol, the Supreme Court. Each of the 'big' museums (air and space/ natural history/ american history) you can easily spend 1/2 day to a full day with each.

Are you staying on the south side of the mall or the North side?
The North side will have a lot more eating options in the evening then the South side.

There is a lot at Union Station- a big food court and several sit down restaurants.

There are a ton of restaurants near the MCI center.
sbtw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:22 PM   #13
kpm76
DIS Veteran
Charlie Brown is competing with my college basketball game

Quote:
Originally Posted by DopeyDame View Post
6. The Capitol

Have a fantastic trip!
This is a great post! Wonderful recommendations. Our children at 5 and 2 so we have not done Holocaust or Spy Museum yet, but all of the other suggestions are fantastic.

We visit DC quite a bit and we were just there in April for the Easter Egg Roll. At the time the kids we not quite 5 and 20 months. We went to Old Ebbitt Grill and both were excellent...

I would skip the Zoo. We happen to have a great zoo in our area, we are members and go often, so I found the National Zoo to be a bit disappointing. It's very spread out and hilly so it was exhausting with our little guy. Short of the pandas, nothing really impressed me. There's so much to see and do in DC that I would spend my time exploring the monuments and museums.

Have a great trip!
kpm76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #14
justhat
DC DISer
pick one night and stay up later for Wishes

DC zoo, well, we lived there for 8 years and I can't say it's an amazing zoo. Pretty lame honestly. If you drive, park at the bottom/back entrance, or look for the parking shuttle to the top.

Restaurants, Cactus Cantina in Cleveland Park is great for kids and has really good Mexican food. Right on Wisconsin Ave. We miss it terribly and we live in AZ now, so Mexican is not in shortage. Georgetown has a ton of restaurants, most of which are fine for kids. Filomena has great pasta, Papa Razzi for "chain" food is good, Old Glory for bbq, Peacock Cafe, Le Pain Quotidien, Thomas Sweet for ice cream and fudge, Daily Grill (also a chain, but good for kids), Moby Dick (middle eastern), La Madeleine, tons of cupcake and fro yo places, Serendipity 3 (very pricey, but it's fun, my kids loved it).

Oh yeah, near the zoo, at the Woodley Park metro area, Open City is great for breakfast/lunch (or dinner too, but maybe more average for that). Super kid friendly and cheap. And I forgot, for pizza, right next to Cactus Cantina is 2Amy's, totally amazing pizza. Adams Morgan has a bunch of places too, the neighborhood just isn't quite as kid-touristy. We lived there so I wouldn't hesitate to go (and right by the zoo), just, it isn't like Georgetown. Ben's Chili Bowl is slightly east of there, but area is way seedier. In that U St. area is Masa 14, which is really good, and unique.

Downtown, Spy Museum is fun, my kids love Air and Space, the Native American museum is great, but tons of reading and it never held my kids attention. Definitely best food court though. American and Natural History are wonderful, we went there a lot. Butterfly exhibit is fun, along with the bug section.

And for food downtown, lots of places. I would suggest not going to chains like Ruby Tuesday cause you can find them anywhere. Try out the local places, and ask hotel employees cause they'll know where to send you.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:03 AM   #15
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

I don't think you'll spend more than 3 - 4 hours at the zoo. It's not that big.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: