Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #1
mommy2paisley
DIS Veteran

What bag do you use for your kiddos in the parks?

Our last trip, we just had DD who was almost 5. We had a very small umbrella stroller for her and I can remember it very clearly, lol, we'd be waiting on the bus and DH would want us to fold up the stroller ASAP so that we were ready to get on the bus. Heaven forbid someone wait 5 SECONDS for us to do it as the bus pulled in Anyway, I can remember DD being tired, as we were, and I'd have to carry the bag we had (just a small tote-type bag), and either carry the stroller or help her get on the bus, etc. That wasn't always easy with such full hands......especially if we didn't get an actual seat on the bus.

This year, DS will be 15 months old and we will have his stroller (City Mini which closes very easily) and we'll have another one to be carrying. So, I'm thinking I need a backpack or something easier to carry since I'll now be carrying DS onto the bus, too. I realize DD is older (she's 6.5), but she'll still need help holding on, on the bus (I guess) if we don't get a seat. (Just as an aside, do you find your family NEVER being in the right spot in line to get a seat??? LOL I just almost plan on NOT getting a seat!)

So, what backpack do you use for the parks? OR do you have a suggestion for how to make this part of the trip smoother for us? We plan on driving to some parks/ressies sometimes to keep from getting so frustrated, but most of the time we'll be bussing it!

Next Disney vacation is two whole weeks starting Labor Day weekend!!!
mommy2paisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #2
TheRatPack
Under penalty of law this tag not to be removed except by the tagfairy!

I like the Baggallini crossbody bags. Not sure if they have one that would be big enough for a bunch of extras that you might need for your little one though. They have a pocket for a waterbottle, and easy access pocket on the front for tickets and it goes across your body so it's easier to keep track of.

TheRatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-02-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
jamala
Mouseketeer

We always take a backpack. Try to find one with padded straps for your shoulders and as FEW as possible pockets to make getting through bag check easy.
jamala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
LilnStitchy
Earning My Ears

I have the baggalini and there's no way you can fit all the stuff you'd need into it.. I've never done wdw with kids, our first kids trip is coming up, but I plan to do a backpack. might suggest a baby carrier for the baby. I am bringing my ergo for my dd who will be 16 months when we go. I can wear her on the front side or back with that carrier. She tends to be less fussy in there too.

Caribbean Beach Resort- 2011
LilnStitchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

First of all, I recommend reevaluating what you carry into the parks with you. I think a lot of people take a lot of unnecessary items with them, which increases the size of the bag they end up needing. If you do choose a large bag, don't fill it up all the way.

For your daughter, I recommend a bag that will fit easily inside whatever bag you're carrying for the rest of the family (ie. leave space for her bag inside your bag).

When we took DS at 3 months, most days we would take a full sized backpack with us. Sometimes I would carry my Very Bradley hipster as well (which I left space for inside the backpack). Other times I would just carry the hipster (I can fit a couple diapers, wipes, and a change of clothes for my son in there along with some money and my park tickets).

When I use public transportation (usually by myself) I make sure everything can fit into a single bag or collapsed within the stroller. Once I get to the bus stop, I condense everything down into my bag, and usually set it on the ground while I remove my child and collapse the stroller. It was so nice once he learned how to stand unassisted, because now I can just stand him next to me. Before that (he didn't accomplish that milestone until he was 20 months old) I would put him in my Lillebaby carrier. Even though he was close to 25 lbs, it worked better than trying to hold him in my arms while collapsing and/or carrying the stroller.

When we went with DS, we didn't stay for the fireworks, which allowed us to avoid most of the crowds. Also, keep in mind that you can wait for the next bus so you can get a seat. I don't really see the point of it, because it will just take you longer to get there, but it can be hard to stand on the bus.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
iamfishie
Earning My Ears

I actually take 2 bags- a regular backpack that holds all the normal "mom and kid" stuff. Then I'm taking a small cross body purse/bag that will hold my phone, camera, and wallet. That way I can leave the big bag on the stroller when we go on rides but carry the small bag with valuables on the rides. I didn't do that last time and I hated dragging that giant bag on rides. I ended up forking out $20 for a smaller bag in the park.
iamfishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
mom2clr
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamfishie View Post
I actually take 2 bags- a regular backpack that holds all the normal "mom and kid" stuff. Then I'm taking a small cross body purse/bag that will hold my phone, camera, and wallet. That way I can leave the big bag on the stroller when we go on rides but carry the small bag with valuables on the rides. I didn't do that last time and I hated dragging that giant bag on rides. I ended up forking out $20 for a smaller bag in the park.
This is what I do also. I take a medium sized backpack and a smaller bag for the items I will not be leaving in the stroller while on rides.

I have been fortunate with the buses in that I have never had to stand. Only once did I wait for the next bus. Most times, I will find a single seat and put a kiddo on my lap. On this last trip, I even had one on my lap and one between my legs. It was a tight fit, but I felt like I had a better grip on them close to me.

Jan '10 POFQ; Jul '10 POP; Sep '10 POP; May '12 POFQ
mom2clr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
*Seanaci*
DIS-obsessed and proud!

We just use a regular backpack. And take turns carrying it.

Me(34), DH(43), DS(6), DM(56), DG(61)
*Seanaci* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
phillymummer
DIS Veteran

On the last trip I used a small backpack, but we also had a stroller that we used to stash away big stuff. This time I am taking a sling backpack (Overland Shasta).The backpack is not girly, so hubby will carry it when needed. Also, I am thinking of having DD6 use one of her little bags to carry her autograph book and camera.

Oct 2012 POFQ- First trip planned all by myself (and with plenty of help from The Dis!)
Next trip- Nov 2015 to MK and Universal!
phillymummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #10
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

We're taking a regular backpack. We actually won't be taking our stroller to the parks during the day (only in the evening when DD might fall asleep for the night in it) and I figure a backpack is the easiest to carry. I wish I could fit everything we need in our baggalinni, but with diapers and wipes along with a sippy cup, that takes up almost the whole baggalinni so backpack is the easiest option.

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV- October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!* UPCOMING: December 2015- BLT
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:57 AM   #11
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

We just take one backpack. On our last trip, my youngest were 4, and they LOVED standing on the bus, and holding on. Even if there were seats!
My kids never wanted any help on shuttle buses.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:31 AM   #12
TheRatPack
Under penalty of law this tag not to be removed except by the tagfairy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilnStitchy View Post
I have the baggalini and there's no way you can fit all the stuff you'd need into it.. I've never done wdw with kids, our first kids trip is coming up, but I plan to do a backpack. might suggest a baby carrier for the baby. I am bringing my ergo for my dd who will be 16 months when we go. I can wear her on the front side or back with that carrier. She tends to be less fussy in there too.
There are different sizes of Baggallini bags. Mine holds a ton of stuff and I put ponchos, extra clothing...etc. in a tote bag that stays on the stroller or in a locker. The Baggallini is a nice cross body, so it makes me feel safer. I would love to carry a backpack but I'm just so afraid of theft because people can get really really close to you when you're being ushered in to the preview rooms for certain rides like Haunted Mansion.

TheRatPack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 12:01 AM   #13
mobesfamily
Mouseketeer

Just returned from our first trip with 4yo twins. We had one backpack, a double City Mini stroller and I had a small waist pack that I actually wore like a crossbody. I had a Mommyhook on the stroller to put the backpack, the small pack held my cell phone & cards. My girls were AWESOME about getting on the busses by themselves (sometimes needing help up the steps), I had the back pack and hubby took the stroller. If seats were tight I put both kids on my lap (about 85lbs of kid) and the backpack on the floor between my legs. About 99% of the time people gave up seats for those with small kids.

1st trip EVER 10/2004 ASMo, Girls 1st trip 10/2012 AKL, 2/2013 AKL, 1/2014 BW & BLT

mobesfamily is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: