Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 02:33 AM   #166
tinkerbells mum
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tayalltheway

Haha, I imagine they can be quite different sometimes. I assume, for instance, that you don't call them "fanny packs?"

I was perusing one of your TRs and it made me want to go to Disneyland Paris someday!
Ha ha we definitely don't call them fanny packs!! I love Disneyland Paris, it's much smaller but still has the same feel of the magic. I prefer Space Mountain in Paris, it goes upside down and corkscrews and is really cool. I never got round to doing a TR from last years trip to WDW but am planning on doing one from next years trip. We're staying at POFQ again. I love the resort especially being able to get the boat to DTD.

Glad you got to meet Lou so you could thank him in person for your awesome trip. Looking forward to reading the rest xx
May 1989 WDW, off site April 1998 DLRP, Sequoia LodgeDec 2005 DLRP, Santa Fe Feb 2009, HNY June 2009 DLRP Cheyenne April 2011 WDW, POFQ Feb 2012 DLRP, Cheyenne April 2013 WDW POFQ Aug 2013 DLRP Kyraid, planning Easter 2015 at POFQMe DD (Tigger 17) Mushu

Old 09-28-2012, 02:28 AM   #167
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbells mum

Ha ha we definitely don't call them fanny packs!! I love Disneyland Paris, it's much smaller but still has the same feel of the magic. I prefer Space Mountain in Paris, it goes upside down and corkscrews and is really cool. I never got round to doing a TR from last years trip to WDW but am planning on doing one from next years trip. We're staying at POFQ again. I love the resort especially being able to get the boat to DTD.

Glad you got to meet Lou so you could thank him in person for your awesome trip. Looking forward to reading the rest xx
DLP Space Mountain sounds pretty awesome. Maybe someday we'll make it there! We also loved being able to take the boat to DTD from Port Orleans. We'd like to stay at French Quarter some time now that we've done Riverside. I loved how small it was when we would catch the bus there. Hopefully your trip there will be great!

Meeting Lou was certainly a highlight. We'd been wanting to for so long! Hope you enjoy the rest of the report.
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report
We Moved to Disneyland!! Now What…? Stories from New DLR Locals
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 02:17 AM   #168
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

May 24, 2012

Chapter 46
A Very Potter History

Waking up for our second to last time to hear Stitch screaming “Good morning! NO SLEEPING” was certainly bittersweet. Sweet only because the phone-ring at the Disney resort is the epitome of annoying, and bitter because it was the penultimate day of our vacation. We had to roll out of bed quite early this morning. I think the alarm was set for 6:30am, which meant we made our coffee and oatmeal in a little more of a stupor than we might usually have done.

The reason behind our early wake-up call was that we had to catch a Mears shuttle from the front of the Riverside lobby building at 7:20. Leaving a few minutes early, we made our way out of our room and across the grounds.

It was more thoroughly deserted at this time of morning than it had been on our other mornings.

When we got to the main building, we grabbed a spot on a bench and started waiting.

We waited and waited until the shuttle was about 20 minutes late, then we started getting a little worried. We called Mears to make sure there was nothing wrong with our reservation. Turned out all was fine and right as I got connected to someone at Mears, our shuttle driver pulled up. Apparently there had been some traffic coming onto Disney property.

Glad that we had allowed plenty of time and were still going to be early, we boarded the shuttle. “To where?” you might ask. On all of our trips to Disney World, starting with the ones I took with my family when I was young, we always included a day at Universal Studios. When Tracy and I went for the first time together in 2008, we continued this tradition, taking a day to hit both Universal and Islands of Adventure and riding practically everything. Then in 2010, when we were planning our honeymoon trip, our Universal plans had to take form around something that was very important to both Tracy and me—the new Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

My Harry Potter history reads a little bit like my Disney history when it comes to how influential a role the books have played in my life. Tracy and I are of the generation that can truly say we grew up with the Harry Potter books. I read the first one in fifth grade, when I (like Harry) was eleven, and it was the only one that had yet been published. At a phase in my life when I really didn’t enjoy reading and didn’t read much that wasn’t required for school, a friend of mine handed me the first Harry Potter book at a book fair and told me she thought I would enjoy it. I ploughed my way through the first book and loved it. It caught my imagination in a way no other book had ever done. Then at the end of fifth grade, the second book was published and I became officially invested in the series. When the third book was published in 1999, it was published first in the U.K. months before the U.S. edition, so I ordered it from Amazon.co.uk just so I could continue the story. Potter-mania had certainly overtaken my generation by the time the fourth book was published. I remember having a sleepover with a friend the night book four was released and signing online at midnight to read the first reviews.

Between books four and five was a long three years during which I started to get into the Harry Potter online fan community. I discovered the mecca of all Harry Potter fan sites, The Leaky Cauldron, and watched their updates religiously. This was also when the first few movies began coming out and I was faithfully in line at the theatre with my mom on the release dates of the first two films. Book five was my first midnight release party. I was coming back from a road trip to Florida with my dad, and we had basically no idea where we would be staying each night. The exception to this was that the second to last day of our trip was when the fifth Harry Potter book would be released, so I made my dad come up with a firm plan where we would be so I could reserve a copy to pick up at midnight. We settled on Lawrence, KS and I was there at Borders to get my book at 12:01. As the Harry Potter books grew more complex, my appreciation of them as solid works of literature grew in addition to my loving the story. Between books five and six, I started listening to Pottercast, the Harry Potter podcast done by the webmasters of The Leaky Cauldron. Not only my first introduction to the podcasting medium, this was one of my first real exposures to the complexity of a fandom. Listening to the hosts talk weekly about a topic that interests you, you start to feel a sense of camaraderie within a community. Always toeing the line between enthusiast and flat-out nerd, it was exciting to know that there were thousands of other people out there with a common interest. It was my first real introduction to the internet as a social medium.

Back home, I started dating Tracy soon before the release of the sixth book. We both read it and talked about it of course, but it wasn’t until the build-up for the series to come to a close that we started getting really into Harry Potter as a couple. The seventh book was scheduled to come out during the summer after our freshman year of college. We had outpaced Harry in aging just a little over the years (we were nineteen as he was turning seventeen), but it was still safe to say that we had grown up alongside the characters. Two weeks before the release of the seventh book, the fifth movie was released. Tracy and I were among the millions at the midnight showing. After the movie, we sat for literally hours in Tracy’s driveway making predictions about the final book. It was one of the nerdiest nights we’ve ever had together and I remember it very fondly.

Then, the day was upon us. We had our books reserved at the now-defunct Borders, and would be on hand for all the midnight release festivities. We decided it would be fun to dress up, because when would an opportunity like this ever come again? Tracy has been told all her life that she looks like Emma Watson, so her Hermione costume was a no-brainer. And I figured I could be a passable Harry. While there were Harry Potter costumes available at every costume store in the country, we were broke college students, so we decided to make our own costumes with a little craftiness, clothes from the thrift store, and wands we made out of construction paper. We were pretty happy with the results.

At the Borders release party, we were among the winners of the costume contest, and we even finagled our way onto the local news by lurking near the news truck and happily obliging when the reporter asked if we wanted to be in his segment because he liked our costumes. We got our books at midnight and immediately started reading. Tracy and I were holed up in my mom’s living room for hours on that first day. My mom even hung out there too, reading her own copy. Tracy and I stayed on pace with each other throughout the whole book, right up till the end. About 40 hours after we got our books, we both finished the Epilogue and closed a chapter of our lives that had basically lasted for our entire adolescences.

Of course, our journey with Harry wasn’t over just because the books were done being published. We still had three more movies, all of which we watched in theatres on opening day. The midnight release at the biggest movie theatre in New York City, which is where we watched the final movie, was insane! We only got there about three and a half hours early because we had had to work that day, and there were so many people in front of us in line that we were stuck in the front row of the IMAX theatre—a viewing position I would never wish on anyone. Still, it was a fantastic experience finishing what we had begun so many years before with hundreds of other people who had all taken similar journeys.

Now, how does all of this relate both to our experience at Universal and to this trip as a whole? Well, literally days before our honeymoon trip to Orlando, The Wizarding World of Harry Potter opened at Islands of Adventure. We knew that a day there HAD to be among our plans for our trip. So we joined the ridiculous masses during the first week of operation at the Wizarding World in 2010. We waited about two and a half hours for the Forbidden Journey ride at the height of the day, though a big reason for that was because the ride kept breaking down. One breakdown lasted so long that Tracy actually took a nap in Dumbledore’s office because that’s where we were stuck in line. We loved the whole experience of the park, and spent our entire Universal day just in the Wizarding World. Even doing that, however, the crowds made it impossible to enjoy the park in any sort of leisurely manner. Now that it was two years later, however, and things had (we hoped) calmed down a bit, we were on our way back.

After all, we can thank Harry Potter for our being on this trip at all. Had I not started listening to Pottercast back in the day, I wouldn’t even know what a podcast was. Then I never would have thought to look for Disney World podcasts, would never have stumbled across the WDW Radio Show, would never have become a part of this Disney fan community, would never have won this trip, and wouldn’t be writing this trip report for you all to read. So thanks, Harry. You’ve had a huge impact on my life. And now, back to the report, and our day at Hogwarts!

Continued in Next Post
1987 - WDW Visit in the Womb * 1990 - First WDW Visit * 1993 - First DLR Visit * March 1996 - Family Reunion at Treehouse Villas * March 1999 - Family Vacation at Treehouse Villas * March 2005 - One Day at MK with Friends * May 2008 - First Visit with then girlfriend (now wife) at POP * June 2010 - Disneymoon at Best Western LBV * Sept 2011 - Return to Disneyland at PP * May 2012 - Grand Prize WDW Radio Trip at POR Royal Room * November 2012 - Move to CA to become DLR locals!

Can We Move Here and Be Pancho’s Handlers? A Sept '11 Throwback Disneyland Trip Report
Duffy is Going to be ECSTATIC! a.k.a. Thank God She Was Jewish - May '12 WDW Trip Report

Last edited by tayalltheway; 10-04-2012 at 02:20 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 02:19 AM   #169
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 47
Walk, Don’t Run

I honestly wasn’t feeling great on the shuttle ride to Universal. I was feeling some of the leftover “roller coaster sensation” of movement from one of the previous day’s rides, so I was a little motion sick for the whole drive. Luckily, Universal isn’t too far off Disney property. When our Mears shuttle dropped us off, we took the familiar route toward the parks.

City Walk was already starting to buzz with the many people arriving for the early morning rush to Hogwarts.

We had only bought one day, one park tickets, so there was no question where we were heading.

On one of our next trips, I think it would be fun to go back to the original Universal park. I do like several of the rides there. With Harry Potter open now, we just have never really considered spending time outside of Islands of Adventure! Despite the fact that there were plenty of people milling about as they waited for the parks to open in about 45 minutes, we were among the first people to actually line up behind a turnstile.

We were a little jealous of all the Universal hotel guests streaming in for their early admission… Maybe one of these trips we’ll tack on a night’s stay at a Universal hotel so we can take advantage of this perk…

About 20 minutes before we were to be allowed into the park, several of the gates that had been admitting early-admission guests were closed and prepped to admit the general public. This meant that they needed people from the other lines to spread out. Being quick movers, we ended up first in line at one of these new gates. We were right outside and ready to storm through when our time came.

There were some issues getting tickets scanned at our gate, but luckily the employees worked through them with about fifteen minutes to spare before the official opening at 9:00. They actually opened the gates about ten minutes early so we could “walk” to our first destination.

We passed by these festive stilt walkers as we made our way under the arch.

Now, Tracy and I being thoroughly decent people, we actually did WALK to the back of the park. It may have been a power walk, but we weren’t among the people who shoved past at a jog/run. It just wasn’t worth it!

We were able to make our way to the back of the park pretty quickly, and soon started seeing signs pointing us to our destination.

And before long, there it was, beckoning us and welcoming us into a whole different kind of “magic.”

The Universal-equivalent of Imagineers went all-out on the Wizarding World, and the result is truly amazing.

From the moment you walk through those gates on either side of this relatively-compact land, you feel like you have stepped directly into the Harry Potter books/films.

I love the way all the shops in Hogsmeade were done. Each individual and quirky in their own little ways, seeing them all together is breathtaking.

And if we’re judging theme park castles on their majesty, the Hogwarts castle looming large over the whole land is truly spectacular.

We knew that the Forbidden Journey had to be our first ride of the morning both because it was what we were most looking forward to and because logistically we needed to get on board while the line was still short.

As you approach the castle, you start to appreciate all its dramatic angles.

When we got in line, the sign claimed it was a 30 minute wait. Luckily, we found this to be largely inaccurate.

After passing through the first castle section of the queue, you quickly end up in the greenhouses. This is one of the most clever uses of switchbacks that I have ever seen in a queue as this section probably holds hundreds of people and is definitely the place you wait the longest. When we waited for over two hours on our last trip, I’d say we spent 45 minutes to an hour just in the greenhouse.

Luckily, the greenhouse, like the rest of the queue was totally empty this morning.

We breezed right through and back into the castle.

We passed by the Hogwarts architect.

Still moving briskly, we found ourselves back in Dumbledore’s office complete with pensieve.

And into the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, where Ron was making it snow.

I know we were breezing through it this time, but I have to take a moment out to mention that this ride has my favorite queue of any ride anywhere. I think it was an ingenious idea to make waiting in line fun by making it a tour of the Hogwarts castle. Every detail is there and you get to be really immersed in the world for your whole wait. It makes the attraction feel like it lasts that much longer. Since we never hit any sort of a stop in the line, it came quite suddenly that we were past the Sorting Hat, into the load area, and climbing aboard our “enchanted bench.” We began to move sideways, Hermione cast Wingardium Leviosa and we were off!!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 10-06-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:52 PM   #170
Mrs. Gumdrop
DIS Veteran

You two make a delightful Harry and Hermione!

I am an HP fan too, and even attended the first LeakyCon. I know what you mean about experiencing "fandom" for the first time with the Leaky podcasts. Even though I have a few years on you, HP was the catalyst for discovering my geeky side. Imagine being a working adult when the books first came out. Geek Alert! I love the themes and the message of love.

Anyway, I think I will include tWWoHP in our new trip to WDW, but not this coming trip. That one is too jam packed already!

I hope your day at tWWoHP is totally magical!
Old 10-05-2012, 01:24 AM   #171
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Gumdrop
You two make a delightful Harry and Hermione!

I am an HP fan too, and even attended the first LeakyCon. I know what you mean about experiencing "fandom" for the first time with the Leaky podcasts. Even though I have a few years on you, HP was the catalyst for discovering my geeky side. Imagine being a working adult when the books first came out. Geek Alert! I love the themes and the message of love.

Anyway, I think I will include tWWoHP in our new trip to WDW, but not this coming trip. That one is too jam packed already!

I hope your day at tWWoHP is totally magical!
Why thank you!

Glad to have another HP fan reading along. I'm a little worried that I'll lose all those readers who aren't fans as I write about this day... I say it's never to late to discover one's geeky side! I'm jealous of you for making to to LeakyCon. I've always thought it sounded like fun, but would never have been able to fit one into the budget.

I highly recommend including a trip to the Wizarding World when you can. Once they expand in the next couple of years, I'm sure it'd be possible to make a full day of it. As is, we spent about a 3/4 day just in HP both because there's so much to see and because we just loved hanging out in Hogsmeade. It's such a fun environment to just sit in and enjoy.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:07 PM   #172
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 48
We Basically Paid a Hundred Bucks Each for This Ride

Now I don’t freely bandy about phrases like “my favorite ride,” but when I rode the Forbidden Journey for the first time (and three more subsequent times) on our first trip to the Wizarding World, I immediately thought I had found a new favorite ride. So this trip, I came in wondering whether I would be equally as impressed as I had been two years ago. Luckily, the answer is a resounding yes!

While it doesn’t have some of the charm and staying power so vital to the classic Disney attractions, this ride is exciting, has a clearly defined story, and makes the best use of new technology that I think any ride I’ve ever been on is able to do. Between the moments where you soar over the screens (a la Soarin’) and the spectacular “dark-ride” moments in three true dimensions, this attraction really takes the best of all worlds and is so much fun! I remember right after the Wizarding World had opened and I would hear people talking about how they closed their eyes during the Dementor scene or the attack of the Acromantula, but I never found the ride to be particularly SCARY. Exciting? YES!

A bonus of this first ride of the morning was that it cured my motion sickness! Once I started physically moving again, my brain quit that “roller coaster sensation” and I felt better in that way for the rest of the day!

The Forbidden Journey spits you out into Filch’s Emporium, aka the gift shop where I want absolutely everything. It was still early in the day, so we didn’t want to fill our hands up with bags just yet, but we set our eyes on several things we wanted.

So what ride do you go on after doing the Forbidden Journey? Trick question. You do the Forbidden Journey again of course! The standby line was still only supposed to be about 15 minutes, so we got right back in line for another go. This time we moved a little more slowly through the queue area, so I got to take a bunch more pictures. Warning: Pictures of the Hogwarts castle from EVERY possible angle ahead…

I love that the winged board are on the gates. Such great attention to detail.

If anyone had ever played the Harry Potter Wii games, you’ll be familiar with the Aqueduct section of the castle. That’s where you have to “speed-sidle” along if you want to get anywhere in that section of the castle.

More towers and turrets up the wazoo.

And suddenly we were back inside. This first portion of the line took a really long time on this go because people were really slow at understanding how to use the lockers. We come prepared without any extraneous “stuff” that we would need to store in a locker. The fanny pack can stay on during the ride as long as I turn it to the side. Therefore, we were in a hurry to get past those slow locker-users. Once we passed them, we were cookin’ through the rest of the queue.

Creeper. Mind you, I DO want to climb through his hump to get to the basement of Honeyduke’s.

Back to the greenhouses…

After we made it to the upper part of the greenhouses, we noticed that the line had certainly started backing up in the lower portion.

Our line moved pretty quickly at least.

Last time we were here, there were several crows circling around this turret.

Because of the forced perspective, however, they looked like they were giant crows. It was funny… Anyway, we moved on past the mandrakes.

Luckily they didn’t scream too loud because without earmuffs, I think we can be sure I would have passed out… Finally, we made it to the entrance back into the castle.

This picture of the house point hourglasses didn’t turn out so well.

We paused for pictures at the entrance to Dumbledore’s office.

And the Room of Requirement.

Next, we made it back into Dumbledore’s office. We did NOT get stuck there for long enough for Tracy to take a nap this time…

Back into the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. They did SUCH a good job making the trio look like they’re right in the room with you here.

A quick stop in the dormitories as we got ready to board.

Then we were back to the front of the line and off for yet another trip around Hogwarts!!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 10-11-2012 at 02:29 AM.
Old 10-09-2012, 03:21 AM   #173
Belle83
DIS Veteran

I found this TR from your Disneyland TR and am really enjoying it So jealous you won a free trip!
Old 10-09-2012, 12:46 PM   #174
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle83
I found this TR from your Disneyland TR and am really enjoying it So jealous you won a free trip!
Glad to have you on board on both TRs! The free trip was definitely a stroke of good luck

Old 10-11-2012, 02:28 AM   #175
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 49
Do the Hippogriff

Back into the gift shop we went after our journey was completed. We really wanted all the owl plushes we found there, but especially Hedwig!

Again, we put off buying for now, and went back outside. Was it time for round three of the Forbidden Journey?? Not quite. But we did take a couple pictures with the castle.

Whoever took this picture for us, while it was nice of them for doing it, was not able to get a very good shot of Hogwarts behind us… I wish Universal photos could magically be included on my Disney Photo Pass…

Instead of another spin around the castle, we opted for the only other ride we were planning to ride at Universal today, the thrilling roller coaster: Flight of the Hippogriff.

When we were at Islands of Adventure in 2008, right after construction had very first begun on the Wizarding World, we rode The Flying Unicorn to try to get a peek over the construction walls. Little did we know that that coaster would remain in its entirety, be slightly rethemed, and turned into Flight of the Hippogriff a couple years later.

Tracy made the height cutoff to ride (though just barely…)

Obviously, the main attraction in the queue for this ride is seeing Hagrid’s Hut from several different angles.

And there is the majestic hippogriff preparing for his flight down the track.

There are actually a few angles on the castle that you can only see from this queue/ride.

It looks really REAL from this angle.

Fortunately/unfortunately, depending on how you look at it, the line for Flight of the Hippogriff was still really short at this early hour, so I didn’t get many pictures before we were to the front of the line. I didn’t even get a single shot of Buckbeak, though we made very sure to bow to him as we went up the incline. This ride is very similar to the Barnstormer in that it packs slightly more of a punch on the first drop than you might expect. You definitely feel like you’re moving pretty quickly. The funny thing, however, is that right after that initial drop, the ride is basically over, and before you know it, you’re pulling back into the station for unloading. Our ride ended and we were quickly spat back out into Hogsmeade.

We liked this snowman with a pet Hedwig.

I think I was trying to pet the owl, though it didn’t line up quite right…

Now it was time to start exploring the village a little, since we had already basically accomplished everything we had set out to do when it came to rides.

Luckily, all the shops and shop windows in Hogsmeade are so intricate that you could easily spend all day looking in them and still not notice all the details.

Stepping inside the Owl Post, we found that we wanted to buy everything we saw!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 10-14-2012 at 02:55 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:46 AM   #176
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 50
Shop Like a Wizard

Inside Owl Post, we loved looking up and seeing all the great details.

We REALLY wanted this mug, but we have way too many mugs already&

Tracy really wanted this Hedwig backpack.

As you go further back into the store, there becomes a more varied selection of memorabilia. The chomping Monster Book of Monsters is a nice touch.

One of the most bizarre things about all the shops in the Wizarding World, but especially this one, is how incredibly small they are. On the one hand, it feels authentic as a small British shop, but on the other hand, they must have known this park was always going to be PACKED. It becomes hard to move while packed in like sardines, and Im sure its barely up to safety codes. At least the sense of claustrophobia is helped a little by the high ceilings and all the fun touches located above your head.

Honestly its a shame that they couldnt have incorporated some of that space above into actual retail space as it would be fun if you could go upstairs and look around up there.

We probably should have bought some Spectre Specs to make sure we didnt have gnargles flying all around us.

In a very Disney-esque touch, we loved all the signs like this posted in some of the shops.

We exited the store without buying anything for now. Apparently as you pass through from the Owl Post section of the store into the other half, it becomes Dervish and Banges.

The owlery is just done so well. Its a fun place to just sit for a little while.

We went back to wandering around the village, looking at several of the faux shop windows. Heres Gladrags Wizardwear

Dogweed and Deathcap Exotic Plants and Flowers.

The one thing about taking pictures of the shop windows is that theres so much glare that they rarely turned out too well&

Continuing to look around, we went past both the Hogs Head and The Three Broomsticks.

Another fine example of glare, though at least on this occasion it placed me in the role of extremely dangerous wizard.

Theres something about this architecture that I just love. All the crooked chimneys and variously quirky levels of the house make it feel magical.

Going around the back of The Three Broomsticks feels a little like an alley youre not supposed to be in.

And now, it was time to enter that sweet-treat haven filled with temptationsHoneydukes!

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 10-17-2012 at 02:09 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:30 AM   #177
tinkerbells mum
DIS Veteran

Love the photos of Hogsmead, I totally agree that the shops are far too small. We had to queue to get into Honeydukes the queue they carried on inside all the way round to the till so we couldn't wander round to have a look we just had to join (or stay on) the queue and pick up what we wanted on the way to the till. That being said though I think it was all amazingly done it just needed to be about 10 times bigger. Looking forward to reading about the rest of the day xx
May 1989 WDW, off site April 1998 DLRP, Sequoia LodgeDec 2005 DLRP, Santa Fe Feb 2009, HNY June 2009 DLRP Cheyenne April 2011 WDW, POFQ Feb 2012 DLRP, Cheyenne April 2013 WDW POFQ Aug 2013 DLRP Kyraid, planning Easter 2015 at POFQMe DD (Tigger 17) Mushu

Old 10-15-2012, 01:08 AM   #178
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerbells mum
Love the photos of Hogsmead, I totally agree that the shops are far too small. We had to queue to get into Honeydukes the queue they carried on inside all the way round to the till so we couldn't wander round to have a look we just had to join (or stay on) the queue and pick up what we wanted on the way to the till. That being said though I think it was all amazingly done it just needed to be about 10 times bigger. Looking forward to reading about the rest of the day xx
That Honeyduke's experience is a prime example of the terrible planning on Universal's part when it came to crowd control. I'm so excited for the Wizarding World to expand hoping that having more space will mean the crowds will be more spread out. But yes, I agree that the whole area is fantastically done. Hopefully you'll enjoy as the tour around Hogsmeade continues!

Old 10-17-2012, 02:09 AM   #179
tayalltheway
DIS Veteran

Chapter 51
Hogsmeade Temptations

Honeydukes is just filled with so many delicious treats that we knew going in that we would want them all.

I remember when the first Harry Potter movies came out and the big merchandising push that went along with it featured Bertie Bott’s Every-Flavour Beans really heavily. I’m sure that they were in a huge percentage of children’s stockings that Christmas—mine included. The funny thing about them is that they made sure to hit all the good flavors (ones that are already in every pack of jelly beans) and then all of the “exotic” flavors were just terrible. I remember grass and dirt quite clearly. There was just never any in-between. I wish they would have made an exotic jelly bean that still tasted good.

The other sweet that stands out the most clearly from the books is Chocolate Frogs. When the Wizarding World first opened, I remember these were a big news item. No longer were they the bite-sized plain chocolate morsels that were released along with the first couple movies. Now chocolate frogs were HUGE.

Unfortunately, they’re also super expensive, and we’ve never been able to reason ourselves into paying over ten dollars for what is essentially just a huge hunk of chocolate. At least they’re fun to look at… And now here’s several pictures of all the overpriced candy we wanted to buy.

I wish I knew exactly what a Cauldron Cake is. They look interesting!

From Honeydukes, we made the transition into Zonko’s. Now this is pure speculation on my end, but I wonder if when the presumed Diagon Alley section opens in phase two of the Wizarding World whether they will include a Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes and turn Zonko’s into something else. I assume they would have generally the same set of merchandise after all…

Tracy wanted a Pygmy Puff.

More fun stuff. I don’t know where the actual merchandise ends and the props begin.

I LOVE that they sell U-No-Poo

On the whole, Zonko’s was a lot of fun, but unfortunately we didn’t make any purchases from there OR Honeydukes.

Coming back out into the village, we saw the conductor standing by the Hogwarts Express.

Again, I’m dipping into more rumors here, but I think it will be so exciting when there’s an actual Hogwarts Express ride to shuttle you between the two parks after the Wizarding World expansion! It’s one of those great opportunities for a ride that works seamlessly with the story. Anyway, for now, here’s Hogsmeade Station (a.k.a. storage lockers…)

We got in the relatively short line to meet the Hogwarts Express conductor. I wish he weren’t the only atmosphere character in the park. Having more people in the same vein as him would be so much fun so that you could have random meet and greets with various wizarding types. When we got to meet and quickly take pictures with the conductor, he was very jolly. He saw my shirt and said, “Dr. Pepper? Well that’s a funny name for a doctor!” It was fun.

And luckily we did a camera swap with the people in line behind us so we got a couple good pictures.

The Hogwarts Express as it is now is fun at least.

And even if it’s boring that the station is just lockers, it still has some good details.

Now we were left once again just to explore and soak up some of the atmosphere of Hogsmeade, which was definitely filling up as the morning went on.

The Dragon Challenge joins Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster and a few other rides as one that we just didn’t feel quite up for on this trip.

Honestly, Tracy HATES roller coasters with a big drop like that at the beginning, so she was NOT happy with her experience on it on our last trip. I doubt whether she’ll ever want to ride the Dragon Challenge again. I don’t really care that much. This ride has always struck me as a little bit of a cop-out when they re-themed the area to make it the Wizarding World. We had gone on the old Dueling Dragons and obviously nothing changed except the queue. That being said, however, the queue is really great and features several fun details straight from the fourth book/film. We thought about going through the queue and taking the chicken exit. Maybe next time…

We continued our wanderings, and I kept snapping photos of practically everything in sight.

It was getting towards late morning, and was still too early for lunch even though we were starting to get a little peckish. Rather than eat just yet, however, we decided maybe now would be a good time for a little thirst quenching from the Wizarding World’s signature drink.

Continued in Next Post

Last edited by tayalltheway; 10-20-2012 at 02:50 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #180
tinkerbells mum
DIS Veteran

More great photos! I tried a cauldron cake, it was lovely although very rich. From what a can remember it was filled with chocolate mousse. Guess you're going for butter beer next I loved it and use the tankard at work each day!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: