Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 01:28 PM   #61
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,998

Return the car full. Prepay Is only a good deal if you coast in on fumes
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #62
mikehn
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,309

I never take the prepaid gas option. But one time, I really got burned. On one trip I was really late for my return flight home and instead of fooling with refilling the tank, I returned the car with a half empty tank. Ouch, that cost me dearly.
mikehn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #63
Chaufeurse
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter View Post
Return the car full. Prepay Is only a good deal if you coast in on fumes
Can't - again, the only option they allow is take the motor with a tank of fuel and be charged upon return - can't even bring it back full - nice huh! We've always had the 'because your booking was made in Europe' reason thrown at us. As we will have the hire for 8 weeks prepay is the best option in our opinion as the price of the petrol is the same as the high street pump.

I am now in firm discussions with Alamo about this, who claim that whilst prepay is an option they are not on site - does that give carte blanche to make the rules up in each individual depot then. Based on prepay being an option, for European bookings, at MCO I see no reason why RSW is not following the same 'rule'.
Chaufeurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #64
dioxide45
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaufeurse View Post
Can't - again, the only option they allow is take the motor with a tank of fuel and be charged upon return - can't even bring it back full - nice huh! We've always had the 'because your booking was made in Europe' reason thrown at us. As we will have the hire for 8 weeks prepay is the best option in our opinion as the price of the petrol is the same as the high street pump.

I am now in firm discussions with Alamo about this, who claim that whilst prepay is an option they are not on site - does that give carte blanche to make the rules up in each individual depot then. Based on prepay being an option, for European bookings, at MCO I see no reason why RSW is not following the same 'rule'.
But what are you charged upon return? To just fill the tank? If you return it full, there won't be any room for gas to be put in the tank so your extra cost should be $0.
dioxide45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 05:56 AM   #65
Lewisc

DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 18,465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaufeurse View Post
Can't - again, the only option they allow is take the motor with a tank of fuel and be charged upon return - can't even bring it back full - nice huh! We've always had the 'because your booking was made in Europe' reason thrown at us. As we will have the hire for 8 weeks prepay is the best option in our opinion as the price of the petrol is the same as the high street pump.

I am now in firm discussions with Alamo about this, who claim that whilst prepay is an option they are not on site - does that give carte blanche to make the rules up in each individual depot then. Based on prepay being an option, for European bookings, at MCO I see no reason why RSW is not following the same 'rule'.
You need to post on the UK board. There are ways to book a car with the gas and required insurance included.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:11 AM   #66
thumbalyna
DIS Veteran
 
thumbalyna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Scranton, PA
Posts: 801

Right now prepay was the best option. It was 3.49 a gallon i haven't seen it under 3.55 since I've been here
__________________
me DD(18)
Past Trips:1981 Off Site -1987 Off Site - 1996 AS Sports - 1997 Howard Johnson Enchanted Land - 1998 Celebrity Resorts - 2001 Westgate Towers and HRH - 2007 Sheraton Vistana and HRH - 2008 Parkway International and RPR - 2009 AS Sports - 2010 Westgate Vacation Villas
thumbalyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #67
Lewisc

DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 18,465

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbalyna View Post
Right now prepay was the best option. It was 3.49 a gallon i haven't seen it under 3.55 since I've been here
NO NO NO. Obviously you didn't read the entire thread.

The 3.55 price on the pump is the price you pay. The 3.49 prepay price charged by Alamo is subject to over 17% of taxes and fees. In other words the real prepay price is over $4 /gallon.

That ignores the fact that a car will have at least 2 gallons of gas when the low fuel light comes on. Prepay means you're paying for the gas you don't use. Not many people are going to plan their fuel so they run out of gas while on line to return their vehicle.

YOU'RE GUARANTEED TO LOSE MONEY WITH THE PREPAY PLAN. THE ONLY QUESTION IS HOW MUCH.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:00 AM   #68
thumbalyna
DIS Veteran
 
thumbalyna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Scranton, PA
Posts: 801

I took the prepaid option and i will coast in. It came to an extra 50 for gas which would be close to the cost if i bought it myself
__________________
me DD(18)
Past Trips:1981 Off Site -1987 Off Site - 1996 AS Sports - 1997 Howard Johnson Enchanted Land - 1998 Celebrity Resorts - 2001 Westgate Towers and HRH - 2007 Sheraton Vistana and HRH - 2008 Parkway International and RPR - 2009 AS Sports - 2010 Westgate Vacation Villas
thumbalyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:13 AM   #69
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Washington, DC area
Posts: 8,503

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
NO NO NO. Obviously you didn't read the entire thread.

The 3.55 price on the pump is the price you pay. The 3.49 prepay price charged by Alamo is subject to over 17% of taxes and fees. In other words the real prepay price is over $4 /gallon.

That ignores the fact that a car will have at least 2 gallons of gas when the low fuel light comes on. Prepay means you're paying for the gas you don't use. Not many people are going to plan their fuel so they run out of gas while on line to return their vehicle.

YOU'RE GUARANTEED TO LOSE MONEY WITH THE PREPAY PLAN. THE ONLY QUESTION IS HOW MUCH.
Give up. Some people just don't get it. Rental car companies must love them!
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:21 AM   #70
Lewisc

DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 18,465

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbalyna View Post
I took the prepaid option and i will coast in. It came to an extra 50 for gas which would be close to the cost if i bought it myself
The $50 charge for gas is subject to taxes, add an extra $8.50.

Not an issue if you want to pay an extra $10-$20 for the convenience.

PP is right. Rental agencies love customers like you.
Lewisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:24 AM   #71
thumbalyna
DIS Veteran
 
thumbalyna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Scranton, PA
Posts: 801

Im looking at my contract it was 177 before adding the gas option and with adding it the total was 230. Like i said i would have paid that to fuel up on my own
__________________
me DD(18)
Past Trips:1981 Off Site -1987 Off Site - 1996 AS Sports - 1997 Howard Johnson Enchanted Land - 1998 Celebrity Resorts - 2001 Westgate Towers and HRH - 2007 Sheraton Vistana and HRH - 2008 Parkway International and RPR - 2009 AS Sports - 2010 Westgate Vacation Villas
thumbalyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:06 PM   #72
dioxide45
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,310

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbalyna View Post
I took the prepaid option and i will coast in. It came to an extra 50 for gas which would be close to the cost if i bought it myself
You say you will coast in, but you can't really guaranty that. What if you have 2 gallons left, what about half a tank? Are you going to just drive around in circles to burn that gas so you coast in? If you do, then that is more of a waste than driving in with half a tank.

If you take the gamble to coast in, you could run out of gas 1 mile from the airport. A tow will cost you a lot more than you think you are saving with the prepay option.
dioxide45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #73
dioxide45
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,310

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbalyna View Post
Im looking at my contract it was 177 before adding the gas option and with adding it the total was 230. Like i said i would have paid that to fuel up on my own
To fill a 14 gallon tank at $3.49 it would cost about $50. So lets assume you have a 14 gallon tank in that car. When you fill it up, it may only actually need 13 gallons. If that is the case, you still paid for 14 gallons with the prepay option, but only really needed 13 gallons. You actually paid $3.846 per gallon. Okay if you like the convenience, not great if you are trying to minimize the price of fuel. If you pull in before the low fuel light is lit, you are paying at least $4.16 a gallon since that indicator won't come on until it gets down to about 2 gallons left in the tank.
dioxide45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:21 AM   #74
thumbalyna
DIS Veteran
 
thumbalyna's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Scranton, PA
Posts: 801

I used it more as a convenience. The people i am traveling with are a major pain in the butt. Its just going to make it easier to drop off the vehicle (considering now i have to change my payment method). I was just saying it wasn't really that much more a gallon out on 535 gas ranged from 3.49 to one station charging 4.79 ( i thought it was a typo but the sign said 4.79 on both sides)
__________________
me DD(18)
Past Trips:1981 Off Site -1987 Off Site - 1996 AS Sports - 1997 Howard Johnson Enchanted Land - 1998 Celebrity Resorts - 2001 Westgate Towers and HRH - 2007 Sheraton Vistana and HRH - 2008 Parkway International and RPR - 2009 AS Sports - 2010 Westgate Vacation Villas
thumbalyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:57 PM   #75
dioxide45
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 2,310

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumbalyna View Post
I used it more as a convenience. The people i am traveling with are a major pain in the butt. Its just going to make it easier to drop off the vehicle (considering now i have to change my payment method). I was just saying it wasn't really that much more a gallon out on 535 gas ranged from 3.49 to one station charging 4.79 ( i thought it was a typo but the sign said 4.79 on both sides)
535 is notorious for very high fuel prices. There is also a Shell station on Vineland road near the outlet stores that has extremely high prices. This could be the station you saw. These prices are not the norm around the Orlando area. The 535 area and a couple stations close to the airport have prices in this range. Most everywhere else has what one would consider "normal" fuel prices.
dioxide45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.



You Rated this Thread: