Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2012, 08:15 AM   #31
policycobb
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the CRT review and photos. I will be there is October and thought about getting the Salmon, cheese and cheesecake. Now I know what I will be ordering. We are staying at CSR for the first time.

Last edited by policycobb; 09-20-2012 at 08:30 AM.
policycobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:29 AM   #32
Buckimion
Purple Heart Park Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quin View Post
Wait - is that conch chowder tomato-based? We're looking at Olivia's for our next trip but to me a chowder is cream-based; if theirs is tomato I'll go for the fritters instead.
Yup. "Manhattan style" as it were.

Sorry for the delay folks. The trip took a major bad turn before we left Disney that has made the past two weeks barely sustainable.

Epcot in the early morning of Thursday, Sept. 20th and not a soul in sight. We're on our way to Akershus for another princess breakfast. Even though DW started out happy, a bad encounter with a security guard (DW's fault but still left a bad taste and put her in a very foul mood.) soon had her asking if this breakfast was really necessary. I had thought there would be at least a character or two different than CRT but it was the exact same 5 with only Belle in her ballgown instead of the peasant dress. (Belle, Cinderella, Ariel, Snow White and Aurora)

Selections from the buffet. I wish I had gone back for more of the salami-type meat and the cheese but DW insisted we move on.

The "family-style" plate of sausage, bacon, eggs and potatoes. Not bad but we really had no appetite for this by now.

For lunch we had managed to score an 11:20a ADR for Le Cellier. (After shifting times from 1:30 and 1p) I had wished we could have gotten this one about an hour later but it was the best I could do. I got to sing along with the staff the Canadian National Anthem. Everyone was invited but I got singled out for actually knowing the song rather than the opening "O, Canada...." Sometimes it pays to have a local NHL franchise...or not. cough*lockout*cough. We were seated second and had the entire Quebec section to ourselves for about 5 minutes. Too bad the room was too dark to get a really good picture.

DW had the duck confit and right up until time to order I had really wanted the rock shrimp but at the very last minute decided to get the cheese soup. DW liked hers but loved mine and wished she had gotten it instead. I thought it was ok but not spectacular, although I'm not a big soup fan and admit this was one of the better ones I've had. I knocked off 1 1/2 of the pretzel rolls while DW tried the other half and everything else.

For the entree we both had the filet with risotto. We both love mushrooms so DW wouldn't hear of swapping out for mashed potato. We both thought this was good but not great.

For dessert we both had the maple creme brulee, which surprised me because I fully expected DW to go for the chocolate mousse moose. Although this was the first experience of creme brulee for both of us, I thought it was "ok" while DW fell in love with it.

For dinner we ate at the Rose and Crown with a 6:40 ADR. This was DW's first dining choice and the one ADR she wouldn't let me let go of even though we have a large number of "pubs" locally. We were seated inside with a good view of the lake, but service was efficient and I didn't have an excuse to linger for the fireworks.

For appetizers I had the cheese plate...I forget most of them but I liked this although I didn't care much for the accompaniments. DW had the scotch egg. Based on the sample menus we had thought to get the sampler with the egg, shrimp cocktail and an apple salad but it wasn't listed and we didn't care enough to ask.

For the main course we both opted for the tenderloin and fish. (With Yorkshire pudding at the top of the plate.) Our taste buds had to be way off because DW and I could not agree on the cup of white sauce on the side, She believed it was a dill tartar sauce and I thought it was some sort of sauce for the steak. (I fully expect my English fish to come with vinegar but this wasn't to be had.) The menu lists a "Cashel blue cheese butter and red wine sauce" for the steak but the white sauce tasted nothing like blue cheese. This meal was completely tasteless.

For dessert we both had the sticky toffee pudding. Simply too sweet for me and DW.

Last edited by Buckimion; 10-04-2012 at 11:35 AM.
Buckimion is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #33
Buckimion
Purple Heart Park Commando

I haven't mentioned snacks much but we mostly just picked up whatever we felt like it and it usually meant eating it asap. Besides the previously mentioned snacks we had Dole whips and pineapple floats, lots more chocolate-covered marshmallows and even spent credits on sodas when we simply felt that was what we needed.

Back now to Friday, Sept. 21st - On our last full day, after another Pepper Market breakfast we went to Downtown Disney where DW planned on putting a dent in the 18 credits we still had remaining at Goofy's Candy Company. We came across the Candy Cauldron first and enjoyed (VERY MUCH!) chocolate-covered pineapple wedges. We would find Goofy's after lunch but DW was very disappointed that they didn't have anything she believed was new from the in-park stores.

For lunch we stopped at Planet Hollywood where DW had the Caprese salad and I had the spinach dip. DW liked hers but was surprised there was a whole, LARGE tomato. I didn't really care for my dip but I didn't have much appetite either. For entrees DW had a steak while I had the ribs which she teased me about their huge size after I had already complained about not being hungry. I still knocked off about half the rack and thought they were ok. We passed on dessert.

Arriving at the MK for MNSSHP, we quickly rode the Jungle Cruise and sat in the Tiki room after getting pineapple floats. When we emerged we saw darkening clouds and decided to try for a walk-up at Liberty Tree Tavern having canceled our ADR for CP previously. After about an hour wait we did get seated.

Salad

Thanksgiving dinner is served. We did not care for the cranberry relish they served but devoured seconds of the beef, mac and cheese and mashed potato and thirds of the stuffing with gravy.

Dessert was the Johnny Appleseed cake (with cranberries, natch) and a pumpkin sugar cookie.

Having trouble the previous day, the scooter I rented from Walker dies for good shortly after leaving LTT, facing the Hall of Presidents along LTT's side wall. I call Walker about 8:15pm and am told a tech will be with me in 30-40 minutes. At 9:20 I get a call from the guy who claims he's 10 minutes away and tries to understand where I am. Obviously, English was not his primary language and he didn't even understand landmarks like the "Hall of Presidents" and "Liberty Bell". I tried to warn him that the fireworks were about to start but he hung up on me. After no arrival by 10:45 I called his number only to get a message that he had gone off duty leaving me there!

During this time my wife managed to get a really bad cold that ruined the rest of our trip and small wonder that I didn't get one too, given that it drizzled rain the entire time. Disney was kind enough to have loaned me a manual wheelchair which I used to get back to the car, having to leave the Walker scooter behind. I tried to speak with someone Saturday (9-22) but was told to call back on Monday. Monday I talked to a person who identified herself as a manager who claimed their guy was still looking for us as late as 11:30 although she hinted she was aware of the language barrier. She said they still hadn't located their scooter but if they did they would refund me a whopping half day's rental when they found it. Earlier this week I spoke again with the manager who confirmed they had found it and left me in the spotlight for compensation. What I WANTED was either the entire rental refunded or at least the MNSSHP tickets but I couldn't bring myself to ask that, settling for the one full day rental.

Waking up the last morning, DW and I headed to 'Ohana for breakfast after checking out of CSR. Things went smoothly and we both enjoyed our breakfast and the characters with Stitch, Lilo, Mickey and Pluto making appearances. Stitch proceeded to blow his nose on my Hawaiian shirt, causing me to crack up and accidentally shut off my camera as DW snapped our picture with hers. He moved around to DW and then proceeded to fall asleep on her shoulder, snoring loudly as I tried to restart my camera and reset it.

After breakfast we stopped to blow our remaining ten snack credits and tried unsuccessfully to get credits for our 5 remaining meals. (I only had danish on a snack credit back on day 2.) I picked out some gummies and two boxes of chocolates as DW tried to warn me they wouldn't hold up well in the car. She was right and they and the trick-or-treat chocolate candy got a little misshapen. DW went for three sugar cookies and we picked out 4 bottles of soda for the road.

From there we went on to another week in New Orleans where DW feasted on the Cajun and Creole cooking (Gumbo: Creole for "Clean out the fridge.") and threatened to pound me for constantly suggesting "McDonalds."
Old 10-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #34
butiflfeet
DIS Veteran

So sorry to hear about the scooter debacle during MNSSHP! That would be very frustrating to have to deal with

Overall though I really enjoyed your reviews! I appreciate you sharing your trip with us

butiflfeet is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: