Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #106
Alice BlueBonnet
Mouseketeer

Wow, I love your reviews!! Can't wait for more
Old 10-06-2012, 02:30 PM   #107
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortStuff View Post
Wow, your meal at YS looked wonderful! I have never eaten there, but would love to go for the onion pull apart rolls alone. My gosh, your steak looked so good! I would love to pair that, with your DH potato dish, as that looked wonderful as well!

I must say, that the food at the kitchen looked good, but the cornbread looked great! My grandmother used to always make cornbread in a cast iron skillet and it was the best!

Looking forward to more!! Did you have butter beer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Shari! How did I let 7 pages of your fabulous reviews get by me before I noticed?? I'm so sorry but I am so glad to read through and get caught up!!!

First I have to say that you have such lovely daughters!!

Onto the food.... so glad to see a Kona pineapple upside down cake! I have wanted to see that.

They have the dessert viewmasters back at 50's PT - haven't seen those any time that we have been but I've read about them. Love that place!

Ahhh your Yachtsman review brought back great memories! That filet is heavenly.

I'm here now and following along.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice BlueBonnet View Post
Wow, I love your reviews!! Can't wait for more
Sorry for disappearing for a while - you know that thing called 'real life' - you know, the thing we go to Disney to escape from? Am hoping to get some new pics up soon. I apologise in advance if they are not totally clear and make little sense - I'm working without notes here! Thanks to everyone for reading
mamaboogie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #108
nanhol
Mouseketeer

Just found your dining report--great reviews so far! Yachtsman Steakhouse looks so yummy--planning that for our next trip!
nanhol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #109
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Well I'm only two months late

So Shari, I have just read through all of your reviews so far and you are doing a cracking job

Good to see a varied selection of cocktails, I'm very proud

Lovely photos of you, DH and the girls
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:51 PM   #110
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

Bubba Gumps!

Day two in Universal and we returned to one of our favourite eating places - Bubba Gumps!

I like how they make it easy for you to find the restrooms:

Sarah and I both had shrimp - I think we both had the Dumb luck coconut shrimp:

So many shrimp! And very, very crispy and tasty.

Simon and Kate had burgers:

I think I ate his guacamole!

Once again we really enjoyed this restaurant. The staff are so laid back and friendly. A great, family restaurant and a welcome respite from the busy parks.

Big Fatty Rating: 7 out of 10

After finishing our time in Universal we headed back to WDW. We had a reservation that evening at House of Blues. We were all a bit tired but still enjoyed the atmosphere of this restaurant. I have to say, the service here was incredibly slow, annoyingly so. Not what we needed after a really long day. Everyone else seemed to get their food before us.

I had another cocktail - but I can't remember what it was called - sorry!:

Foodwise, I had the salmon and mashed potatoes:

Which was very tasty. Simon had steak and chips and I heard no complaints:

Both girls had a pasta dish:

I'm not a huge pasta fan but this looked delicious!

I had a cheesecake for dessert:

Sarah and Kate shared a plate of cookies:

All in all, a very tasty meal. Just a shame it was ruined slightly by the slow service. But it still felt good to be back in Disney:

Big Fatty Rating: 5 out of 10

Coming up: Breakfast at Kona Cafe.......and.....Victoria and Albert's!!!!
Old 10-06-2012, 05:41 PM   #111
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanhol View Post
Just found your dining report--great reviews so far! Yachtsman Steakhouse looks so yummy--planning that for our next trip!
Thanks for reading!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Well I'm only two months late

So Shari, I have just read through all of your reviews so far and you are doing a cracking job

Good to see a varied selection of cocktails, I'm very proud

Lovely photos of you, DH and the girls
Better late than never Linda!

I've been a very bad Diser recently - bad Shari! But I promise i will write more regular updates - there is so much more food to talk about!
Old 10-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #112
ksromack
DIS Veteran

Really enjoying your reviews! We have ADRs for a lot of the same places when hubby and I go in December. Very excited for Yachtsman. I know my hubby will get the 28 oz Porterhouse because he's a glutton. So that leaves me either the filet or strip steak......so many steaks, so little ADRs!

Was House of Blues very crowded? I made an ADR there mainly because my guy loved the one in California. I really dislike slow service though because hey, time is money! I would like to know if maybe the slow service was a fluke or common-place?
Old 10-07-2012, 02:25 AM   #113
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Unfortunately for you, now that I am here I am going to keep chipping in

Bubba Gumps does look great, it's a shame that the service was a little slow though

Your cheesecake looks particularly yummy and if you can't remember the name of the cocktail it was probably a good one !!
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:49 AM   #114
LumosQ102
How many days left on the countdown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaboogie View Post

Coming up: Breakfast at Kona Cafe.......and.....Victoria and Albert's!!!!
I'm un-lurking for a moment to say how much I'm enjoying your reviews. I'm heading to a lot of the same restaurants on my next trip to the World in February and am most excited for your V&A review. Its going to be the first time there for me so can't wait to see what you thought
Old 10-07-2012, 05:27 AM   #115
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksromack View Post
Really enjoying your reviews! We have ADRs for a lot of the same places when hubby and I go in December. Very excited for Yachtsman. I know my hubby will get the 28 oz Porterhouse because he's a glutton. So that leaves me either the filet or strip steak......so many steaks, so little ADRs!

Was House of Blues very crowded? I made an ADR there mainly because my guy loved the one in California. I really dislike slow service though because hey, time is money! I would like to know if maybe the slow service was a fluke or common-place?
Thanks for reading! House of Blues is always kind of busy - but like I said, other people seemed to be getting served a lot quicker than us - so it was just our server maybe - although she did seem to serve other tables quicker than us. Maybe it was that rare thing - not bothering so much because we were on the dining plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Unfortunately for you, now that I am here I am going to keep chipping in

Bubba Gumps does look great, it's a shame that the service was a little slow though

Your cheesecake looks particularly yummy and if you can't remember the name of the cocktail it was probably a good one !!
I'm just rubbish at making notes and the further we go into the holiday the more the details became hazy! It was a nice cocktail though and one of their specials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LumosQ102 View Post
I'm un-lurking for a moment to say how much I'm enjoying your reviews. I'm heading to a lot of the same restaurants on my next trip to the World in February and am most excited for your V&A review. Its going to be the first time there for me so can't wait to see what you thought
Thanks for coming out of lurkdom! Lots of photos about V and A it was our first time there too so I understand how you feel!
Old 10-07-2012, 04:41 PM   #116
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Shari - welcome back from real life!! I hate how that happens. But.... you started back with one of my and Em's ABSOLUTE favorite places - Bubba Gump!! Love that place. I don't think I've seen the bathroom sign before - gotta love it!

I'm conflicted about HoB since it is on my one day list... I just want it to be better than average. Based on your experience I think my expectation is set a little low. The steak looked good.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #117
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Shari - welcome back from real life!! I hate how that happens. But.... you started back with one of my and Em's ABSOLUTE favorite places - Bubba Gump!! Love that place. I don't think I've seen the bathroom sign before - gotta love it!

I'm conflicted about HoB since it is on my one day list... I just want it to be better than average. Based on your experience I think my expectation is set a little low. The steak looked good.
Thank you!

Full of cold at the moment and wishing I was back in the Florida sunshine....

HOB was okay - good food and kind of fun - but not fine dining and not the service you expect from Disney.

Update coming up soon......
Old 10-12-2012, 03:48 PM   #118
mamaboogie
DIS Veteran

Kona Cafe Breakfast

So the next day we were having a bit of a rest day so we decided to start the day with breakfast at Kona cafe.

We have eaten at Ohana for breakfast a couple of times, but never Kona. After having a couple of nice meals for dinner at Kona we decided to try it for breakfast.

My first disappointment was that on the dining plan we had to pick between fruit juice and coffee. I thought you could get both for breakfast? We decided to go for the lovely juice they have there, although I would have loved some nice coffee too. I suppose we could have paid extra for it but our server never really gave us that option so we never ended up asking for it.

Kate had the Big Kahuna:

This looked really good and was an awful lot of food!

Simon was feeling hungry and went with the steak and eggs:

He really enjoyed his breakfast and thought it was good value on the dining plan.

Sarah had fried eggs, potatoes and sausages:

I think she enjoyed this. I went with poached eggs, potatoes and bacon:

As you can see, the poached eggs came in a bowl - unfortunately, this meant that water from the poaching process had collected in the bowl and when I cut into the eggs they became very watery. so they weren't very nice.

So this was a slightly disappointing meal. Some good elements to it but not great service and the food was not consistent.

Big Fatty Rating: 5 out of 10

Coming up: Does Victoria and Albert's live up to the potential???
Old 10-12-2012, 07:02 PM   #119
mom2of2
Let the good times strolllllll!
Don't we just get tickeled at the smallest things?

On the DP its 1 beverage. You should have just asked for coffee, servers arent supposed to offer items that arent covered if you are using a DP. Sorry your breakfast was disappointing
Old 10-13-2012, 04:18 AM   #120
meryll83
All it takes is faith and trust... Proud Strawberry Blonde Official DISbride!

About time Miss Shari! Good to see the reviews continuing

WDW 91, 93, 03 off-site, 05 ASMo (32,000 WWTBAM) , 07 Pop & BWV (Free Dining & Engaged at Cinderella's Castle!), *09 Wedding Planning Journal* and *Trip Report* Pop, BWV, Poly & Wonder,
10 Pop, 12 Aulani Day Visit, 13 HRH, YC
(Free Dining) & Dream

DLP 05 Cheyenne, 13 Newport Bay

meryll83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: