DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 10:20 PM   #1
AmyAnne
Mouseketeer

Testing the waters with rented points: need advice choosing a resort, please

My daughter, son and I will be participating in the Princess 5K and half-marathon at WDW in February, and want to use the stay to check out one of the DVC properties. We want to stay at one of the host resorts because of the transportation, and these are our options (minus AKL, which we already know that we like):

• Disney's Beach Club Villas
• Disney's BoardWalk Villas
• Disney's Old Key West Resort
• Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
• The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge

The two main issues I can think of are beds and buses. The kids are tall teens, and we will be getting up early and running both mornings we are there (Sat. and Sun.), so we would like beds that are comfortable. Saturday afternoon we plan to be at the Magic Kingdom, but the races start (and end) in the Epcot parking lot.

Assuming 1 BR availability, which resort would you recommend?
AmyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
kristenrice
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyAnne
My daughter, son and I will be participating in the Princess 5K and half-marathon at WDW in February, and want to use the stay to check out one of the DVC properties. We want to stay at one of the host resorts because of the transportation, and these are our options (minus AKL, which we already know that we like):

β€’ Disney's Beach Club Villas
β€’ Disney's BoardWalk Villas
β€’ Disney's Old Key West Resort
β€’ Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
β€’ The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge

The two main issues I can think of are beds and buses. The kids are tall teens, and we will be getting up early and running both mornings we are there (Sat. and Sun.), so we would like beds that are comfortable. Saturday afternoon we plan to be at the Magic Kingdom, but the races start (and end) in the Epcot parking lot.

At this late in the game, your choices will probably be limited. The DVC 1BR units only have 1 "bed"....a king in the master bedroom. The other "bed" is the queen-size sleeper sofa in the living room. BLT, AKV and OKW also have a twin-size sleeper chair in the living room.

Good luck with your reservation

Posted from DISboards.com App for Android

2001 OKW 2002 WL for HONEYMOON!January 2008 POP/OKW October 2008 AKV GIRLS ONLY! June 2009 AKV October 2009 POP with my BFF for my Birthday April 2010 AKV April 2011 HHI Oct 2011 BLT/BWV with DSiL June 2012 GRAND GATHERING at OKW April 2013 HHI November 2013 AKV *1st Half-Marathon*Oct 2014 Surprising the Nieces at AKV
kristenrice is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
Pirate Granny
DIS Veteran

I would take OKW studio....two queen beds, and your not gonna be in the rooms too long, and won't need the washer dryer.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
sleepydog25
Girls of the Woo Hooty: Riddlers Gone Bad
I'm gettin' trippy about my race
Well, I was channeling YOU
Jack, the fairly good person to unwind to

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyAnne View Post

• Disney's Beach Club Villas
• Disney's BoardWalk Villas
• Disney's Old Key West Resort
• Disney's Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
• The Villas at Disney's Wilderness Lodge

I am biased as you can see by my signature, but I like VWL for three reasons:
1) For any last-minute training runs, the trail that leads from the Lodge to FW is quite enjoyable and right at a mile one way. I prefer to run the nature trail (the sandy path that starts behind the bike rental) which leads to the back of FW, or you can hook up with the main trail after about 1/2 mile.
2) I've had good overall experience with the buses at the Lodge, plus you would have the bonus of being able to take the boat to MK, as well.
3) VWL is among the quietest, if not the quietest, of the DVC resorts. It has a genuine laid-back feel, and recuperating in the Hidden Springs hot tub would be divine.

My two cents.

sleepydog25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:25 AM   #5
Sammie
DIS Veteran

As stated availability is probably going to make your choice for you and as stated in a one bedroom you only get one king bed.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #6
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydog25 View Post
I am biased as you can see by my signature, but I like VWL for three reasons:
1) For any last-minute training runs, the trail that leads from the Lodge to FW is quite enjoyable and right at a mile one way. I prefer to run the nature trail (the sandy path that starts behind the bike rental) which leads to the back of FW, or you can hook up with the main trail after about 1/2 mile.
2) I've had good overall experience with the buses at the Lodge, plus you would have the bonus of being able to take the boat to MK, as well.
3) VWL is among the quietest, if not the quietest, of the DVC resorts. It has a genuine laid-back feel, and recuperating in the Hidden Springs hot tub would be divine.

My two cents.
Any serious runner will be done with running before the 5K and Half marathon. The 5K is Saturday and the Half Marathon is Sunday. I'd go with OKW one bedroom if you can get it. King sized bed in the master, queen sleeper sofa and twin sleeper chair. Not too far from the race start if it starts and finishes in Epcot.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
magicaldisney
DIS Veteran

We love all the resorts you have a choice of, but for this particular trip I would also recommend OKW.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #8
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Granny View Post
I would take OKW studio....two queen beds, and your not gonna be in the rooms too long, and won't need the washer dryer.
OKW (near the Hospitality House) gets my vote as well...
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwing818 View Post
OKW (near the Hospitality House) gets my vote as well...
Near HH for some reason gets booked up first. Must be the non-OKW owners booking those.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: