Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 11:30 PM   #16
LJSquishy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctinct View Post
How about a Clarisonic?
That is a great gift idea!

Me-30: -&- DH-34:
LJSquishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #17
MrsPete
DIS Veteran

Scarves and flats are super popular with teens these days.
Ditto for Vera Bradley wristlets (wallets on a wrist band); teens seem to be anit-Vera for everything else.
Vera aside, teen girls seem to be into the flat, hard wallets, which are sold at cheap places like Claires and Rue 21.
You can't go wrong with earrings and bracelets.
Nail polish too.
And sunglasses -- my girls are crazy about bright colors.
Charm bracelets seem to be emerging as a big thing lately.
North Face fuzzy-fuzzy jackets are still a trend.
Watches, however, are totally out.
Likewise, I don't see girls wearing Uggs anymore.
Toms shoes are still very much in style.
Pretty journals or sketch pads -- but not the little girl types.
Art supplies.
Crazy socks (including over-the-knee styles) were uber-popular last year and are still making a strong showing at our high school.
Does your school offer a "give a kid a yearbook" thing at Christmas? They'll give you a certificate that says, "A yearbook has been reserved in your name", and you can wrap that certificate.

My girls usually get a new set of ear buds in their Christmas stocking. Those things do have a limited lifespan.

I was at the mall today and bought them each a cute outfit.
Plus a pair of short boots for one and a pair of fur-lined moccasins for the other.

My college daughter has requested gift cards to specific fast food places near her school.
My girls are totally "over" iTunes cards. They've received so many that they both have large credits on their accounts.

You mentioned some electronics. My girls love having DecalGirl.com stickers to personalize their items. Protective cases are also a favorite (and they could prevent an expensive loss).

At 14 we made private driver's ed lessons a Christmas gift for both of our girls. Our school's driver's ed is so backed up that kids who go the public route can't get into a class 'til well past their 15th birthday, which means they can't get their permit 'til late and then can't get their license 'til late. This was really a gift of time.

From the time my oldest started high school, I started buying her a few things that'd be useful in a dorm room. As a result, we had to buy very little for her to start college this year. One year I bought her an iHome iPod charger /alarm clock. Another year it was a lap desk. Last year she requested some simple cookware and dishes. I know I bought some other things, but I can't remember them.
MrsPete is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #18
richmond282
Trumpet players don't have egos, we're just better than you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1princess View Post
i know how you feel, OP. DD15 already has everything she wants and needs - nook, smartphone, mp3 player, tv and dvd player, digital camera and computer. i don't know what we could possibly get for her. she'll need some clothes, but her great-grandmother will probably buy those. she plays clarinet in the marching band and is going to NOLA at the end of the year to march in the sugar bowl on january 2nd, so DH and i are toying with the possibility of buying her a new clarinet. she needs one; but, if we did that, it would be so expensive, it would have to be her only gift, and it makes me want to cry to think of one, sad-looking gift under the Christmas tree.
Could you have her do a treasure hunt to find the clarinet? That way you could wrap up several boxes with "clues" in them like reeds, a marching lyre, pair of band gloves, a ligature, etc.
richmond282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:10 PM   #19
Priorityonecb
DIS Veteran

We are mixing things up this year! Our dd (15) has always had a hard time waiting for Christmas morning! We are going to Disney as our main family gift, but she couldn't stand the thought of exchanging that for no gifts! We came up with a crazy idea! We put the tree up on Thanksgiving, and there are 26 days between then and when we leave for Disney. So, dd will be getting 26 gifts that she gets to open one a day as a countdown to the trip. Unconventional yes, but fun and memorable!

Here are a few things we have purchased/she has asked for at 15.

1. Vera Bradley laptop cover
2. VB pen/pencil set
3. Dine with Shamu experience for our trip
4. Beluga whale interaction for our trip
5. Gray Vans
6. Purple Guy Harvey tshirt
7. Ramen bowl/chopsticks set
8. Kindle Fire case
9. Archery set
10. Itunes gift card
11. Water Pic shower head
12. Wreck This Journal
13. Pajamas
14. $100 Disney gift card for a DTD shopping spree on trip
15. TV (small for her room, she has an old huge one)
16. Ikea comforter

The rest will be small inexpensive fillers!
Priorityonecb is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: