Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

Finished 50 Shades series.......

Just finished the 3rd book of 50 Shades of Grey. Can anyone recommend something else to read? I'm not looking for a book with lots of sex just a nice love story.
Anyone?
2009 Mariott Cypress Harbor
2012 AKL Villas
All thanks to my BFF!!!!!

lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
JVL1018
Forever Mickey's daughter
I hate stickers on fruit, it skeeves me.
If someone doesn't like it, tough noogies
"Nakey Boy to the rescue!!!"

Lisa Kleypas. I love anything by her, but she writes historical and contemporary. Her contemporaries are really good.
Sugar Daddy, Blue Eyed Devil and Smooth Talking Stranger are a trilogy that I really enjoyed.

JVL1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-07-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

Thanks.....

Any other recommendations?
2012 AKL Villas

Old 10-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
siouxi31

DIS Veteran

How about the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon?
siouxi31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
dare2dream
BL6 Weightkeeper
thinking that it is a wonderful time to be walking around the block

Was 50 shades a nice love story? I heard it was filth. I'd like to hear your opinion of the series.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
GoofyforDisney3
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dare2dream View Post
Was 50 shades a nice love story? I heard it was filth. I'd like to hear your opinion of the series.
The basic premis behind the story is a love story. However, it does have a LOT of sex and has a D/s theme to it and is not for anyone that does not like written out in detail sex scenes. So, to answer your "question" there are some people that would call it filth. It's kind of one of those to each his own type things and it isn't for everyone.

I have been loving a lot of books by Lauren Dane and also Sylvia Day. These are not for the faint at heart when it comes to the "love" scenes, but if 50 Shades didn't bother you to much these won't either.

Also love all of the JR Ward books, Black Dagger Brotherhood and Fallen Angels series are both awesome reads. Again, there is some detail sex scenes that may not be for everyone.

GoofyforDisney3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:48 AM   #7
RitaE
DIS Veteran

I've been on a Susanna Kearsley kick - The Winter Sea, Shadowy Horses etc. They are romantic but not erotica.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:52 AM   #8
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by siouxi31 View Post
How about the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon?
Highly recommend Outlander. Absolutely adore the series. Well written, strong characters and storyline..etc.

Did you enjoy 50 Shades? That might help with suggestion..I found it to be poorly written crap. I felt like someone took a 13 year olds diary and tried to throw some sexy stuff in it to try to make it appeal to adults. If I saw the words "oh my" anymore I thought I might have to smack the author. I thought it was horrid and it had nothing to do with the sex scenes (that aside from the domination part is really no different than what you would read in a bodice ripper romance novel).
Coconut36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #9
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut36 View Post
Highly recommend Outlander. Absolutely adore the series. Well written, strong characters and storyline..etc.

Did you enjoy 50 Shades? That might help with suggestion..I found it to be poorly written crap. I felt like someone took a 13 year olds diary and tried to throw some sexy stuff in it to try to make it appeal to adults. If I saw the words "oh my" anymore I thought I might have to smack the author. I thought it was horrid and it had nothing to do with the sex scenes (that aside from the domination part is really no different than what you would read in a bodice ripper romance novel).
I totally agree!
I loved the Outlander series and was a little depressed when I finished the last book. When I finished the 50 Shades series I was like thank goodness that is over

If you are looking for a great love story I suggest The Time Traveler's Wife. It is my favorite love story book.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
Nayan
DIS Veteran

Location: About an hour east of WDW. 192 all the way "home". :)

If you like those types of reads then head over to Smart Witches, Trashy Books (except substitute the 'W' for a 'B'. Can't use that word here).
Old 10-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #11
lukenick1
DIS Veteran

Ok.....I "liked" 50 Shades series, read all 3 books. I was more into the love connection between them and the mystery behind Christian than I was the sex. With that said, you can say I'm into romance/love stories. However, I did enjoy other books like the Lovely Bones and My Sister's Keeper. I guess those are in the drama category? I've never been a reader but have become more interested in it as I get older as long as I'm into the story. My DS has tried to get me to read "Hunger Games" and "Harry Potter" but that just doesn't interest me. Neither does "Twilight" Series. I will also add that I am not a fan of super intelligent big word books. I'm a young adult language kind of girl. Which is probably why I had no issue with 50 Shades.
2012 AKL Villas

Old 10-07-2012, 11:20 AM   #12
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenick1 View Post
Ok.....I "liked" 50 Shades series, read all 3 books. I was more into the love connection between them and the mystery behind Christian than I was the sex. With that said, you can say I'm into romance/love stories. However, I did enjoy other books like the Lovely Bones and My Sister's Keeper. I guess those are in the drama category? I've never been a reader but have become more interested in it as I get older as long as I'm into the story. My DS has tried to get me to read "Hunger Games" and "Harry Potter" but that just doesn't interest me. Neither does "Twilight" Series. I will also add that I am not a fan of super intelligent big word books. I'm a young adult language kind of girl. Which is probably why I had no issue with 50 Shades.
Hmmm..the "young adult" part I am not sure what you mean by. If you like the love connection and mystery of characters then I stand strongly behind Outlander (I believe there are 7 books..starts with Outlander..then Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, Drums of Autumn..etc) as it has a healthy dose of character mystery and such. If you like books written in a young adult style then that might be an issue as Gabaldon's books are NOT like that..the smallest of the books I think is over 800 pages (I could be off..the first is the shortest of them all but it's still quite large) and her writing style is not on par with things like Hunger Games or other young adult fiction.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:21 AM   #13
Coconut36
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
I totally agree!
I loved the Outlander series and was a little depressed when I finished the last book. When I finished the 50 Shades series I was like thank goodness that is over

If you are looking for a great love story I suggest The Time Traveler's Wife. It is my favorite love story book.
I hate when you run out of books in a good series! Early 2013 for the next Outlander book!
Old 10-07-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coconut36 View Post
I hate when you run out of books in a good series! Early 2013 for the next Outlander book!
I didn't know that, thanks!
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 11:30 AM   #15
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukenick1 View Post
You might try Overseas by Beatriz Williams which is kind of a huge sweeping destined souls type of love story. The book did fail for me on one level that it is kind of hard for me to discuss without a major spoiler, so I won't. But overall it is very romantic.

http://www.amazon.com/Overseas-Beatr.../dp/0399157646
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: