Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 09:41 AM   #16
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhoen View Post
Bless me thrifties, for I have sinned, I bought something I don't *need*... though I'll use them...

I was at my local thrift shop hunting for a shower curtain to put up in my office bathroom (officemate moved rooms, took her curtain with her, and I'm planning to work out tomorrow= need.) Well, I found a bright happy one for $3.50, but that's neither here nor there...

I was looking for the "rings" to hang the derned thing up, because, seriously, who wants to pay $10 for plastic rings for a $3 shower curtain??? Well, if you shop thrift, you know those will be either in a "chain" or a "baggie" hanging from the edges and corners of the shelves, so I went looking there.

I didn't find any rings I liked.

But I saw a bag of six silver-looking candlesticks, and, out of habit, checked the bottom looking for that magical ".925" or rather, to rule out them saying "silver-plate."

They didn't.

The said "weighted sterling silver" and "cement-filled sterling" and numbers and names... going rate on ebay? About $100-$150 (wayyyy more on replacements.com, of course, but you can never expect that to be the "real" value."

And I got them for $3.05 after my 25% discount...

Happy!!!

Just wanted to share with people who might actually understand how incredibly cool this is. I plan to add them to my china cabinet for now, use them when we use Grandma's china, and pass one pair to each of the girls someday... meanwhile, in the event of a zombie apocalypse or other emergency, I will have a place to put my candles, or could sell them, barter them, or use them to bash an intruders skull in. Would bashing a skull stop a zombie?
Great find! We have great Goodwills around here. I love to look around if I have time to kill. This thread is making me want to go check them out. I may swing by to see if I can get any pieces for DS's costume.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #17
Sandy61
Mouseketeer

I love my local Goodwill store. I bought my favorite pair of jeans there. Also several shirts and a great new suede brown shirt I am wearing as a jacket on mild days. It is a small store in a small town but someone my size must donate their clothes. I donate my family's clothes if they don't sell at a garage sale first. I once bought a green shirt and when I go home I realized it was one I had donated. Only a few dollars so not too bad a mistake. I have not ever worn it and will have to donate it again one day.

I also found a pair of brown suede shoes from Italy. I did not buy but carried around a Louie Vuitton purse that looked fake and was really stiff so I didn't want to buy it.
Sandy61 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #18
Zhoen
Princess in Shining Armor

This was not a Goodwill. Our local Goodwills overprice everything... I have seen used stuff costing more than new at times (stuff I personally owned so I know what it cost new.)

I checked back at that place today, just to see if maybe whoever did that pricing made any other mistakes... alas, no such luck, at least not with anything I'd want...

... I did see a David Winter Cottage (didn't really notice which one... it had a river and boats int the foreground, that's all I noticed) there for $4 (so would have cost me $3) but I left it there for someone else to find. Maybe I shoudl have bought it and thrown it on Ebay, but honestly, that's just not my style. Hopefully whoever finds it will be as delighted as I was with my candlesticks... or maybe it will be a junker out to make a quick buck... funny the things they overprice and the things they under-price.
Zhoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #19
Bell30012
DIS Veteran

I love thrift stores. Here's a recent find of mine. And it works!

Old 10-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #20
Zhoen
Princess in Shining Armor

I give up, what is it?
Zhoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:03 AM   #21
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

looks like a $3.99 cutting board. lol
Old 10-06-2012, 05:15 AM   #22
Bell30012
DIS Veteran

It's a Nintendo Wii for $3.99!!! And it had a game inside.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #23
nsmith
Mouseketeer

thrifting

Last week I bought a pink, 100% cashmere, bloomingdales, short sleeved sweater for $3.90, OH WAIT!!, blue tags were 50% off that day!!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: