Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #16
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

I love the DLH for Disney-ness but still will pick GCH every time for a normal park visit (I have VGC DVC so makes sense that way also) I stayed at DLH for 5 nights during Destination D and it was super hot. I found I was much more likely to just stay in the room than brave the trek to the parks multiple times (kid-less trip). While staying at VGC it is so easy to get to DCA you can literally be in the park in a minute or two and if I'd been staying there would have gone to the park much more often. We did take the monorail to DL for dinner at the Plaza Inn and that worked great, but still..the walk from DLH does seem quite a bit more when you are used to the Grand.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #17
MinnieMom13
Mouseketeer

I think the replies to this point have captured the issues quite well. Based on what you've written, the Grand is certainly the hotel that meets your needs.
Perhaps you might want to stay just one night at the DLH on one of your upcoming trips to check it out.

My children (DS 10, DD 9) spent more time in the Redwood Pool than on the monorail slides, which surprised me. While they liked the view of fireworks and the light-up headboard at DLH, nothing beats the bunkbeads. DLH has more overt "Mickeyness" so if your kids love that, then it will seem more magical.

When we stay at the DLH, we do get a locker as it really isn't as easy to just pop back to the room for something.
MinnieMom13 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #18
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

We've stayed at both within the past year. Honestly I didn't find the difference in distance to be that far overall if you are going to DL. However, if going to DCA then there is a big difference since there is an entrance right in GC.

As for comparing the two resorts, they are both nice. We loved the rooms at DLR, not that the rooms at GC weren't nice too, and would give them a slight edge.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:07 PM   #19
rgnok
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaw View Post
IMO ... It's the kind of thing you have to try at least once to really know for sure. GCH is my favorite but there is just something about the "Original" DLH.
I agree. We usually make it to Disneyland once a year (though I'm always cautious to remind my kids (and myself, for that matter) when we are there that there is never a guarantee of getting to come back, so don't take it for granted!). For as many times as we've been, I wouldn't feel like we've completely experienced Disneyland without staying in all of the hotels at least once, but, having done that, we certainly keep GCH as our family preference.

Of course, if you don't get to Disneyland often, I wouldn't feel bad about any of the hotels, and, honestly, wouldn't feel bad about off property, either. Get me within shouting distance of Disneyland and I says its all good

Completed:
Disneyland Paris - November 2013 (Disneyland Hotel)
DLR - November 2012 (Grand Californian)
Disney Magic cruise from Port Canaveral 05/2012
DLR - April 2012 (Grand Californian)
DLR - November 2011 (Grand Californian)
DLR - November 2010 (Grand Californian)
Disney Wonder cruise from Port Canaveral 05/2010
DLR - November 2009 (Grand Californian)
WDW - May 2008 (Off site)
DLR - December 2006 (Grand Californian)
DLR - April 2005 (Grand Californian)
DLR - March 2004 (Disneyland Hotel - Youngest daughter's first "real" visit!)
DLR - April 2003 (Paradise Pier - youngest daughter's "first" visit, still in mom's tummy)
DLR - April 2002 (Off site - Oldest daughters 1st visit & 3rd birthday)
DLR - August 1998 (Off site - wife's 1st visit)
DLR - August 1993 (Off site with my best friend)
DLR - 3 more childhood visits, dates start to get fuzzy here - 1st in 1976, then again around 1980 and 1984!
rgnok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #20
frankcastle
Earning My Ears

The only real complaint I have is about the laundry room is a hike from the front tower and a bit small for that size og hotel.
Frank
frankcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:25 PM   #21
TravelingJen24
DVC Member

We have stayed at all three hotels several times. My issue with the DLH is that they no longer have the balconies. I found the rooms to be a bit stuffy now especially after everyone has taken a shower. I like the ability to open a window to get fresh air. I think GCH is a bit costly, but still our favorite.
TravelingJen24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: