Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
perdy1234
Mouseketeer

Need help deciding what to do in Costa Maya!

We are on the fantasy for xmas and on xmas day we are at costa maya. I have heard that the port area is nice place to hang out. Has anyone ever went into the town? How did you get there and what is there to do? I saw they have a bus that goes from the port into town. Has anyone had any experience with this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. We wanna make sure that our xmas day is a great day! Thanks!
perdy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
GPFirefly
Mouseketeer

We spent the day at Maya Chan Beach. It was all inclusive. Transportation. meals, drinks, open bar, glass bottom kayaks, snorkeling gear, sand toys, personal covered areas. They are completely honest in all of the information that they send about their beach location. We would love to go back there again.
GPFirefly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 12:21 PM   #3
y2khardtop
Mouseketeer

Port area is not very nice, the looonnnnggggg walk from the pier took longer than our time wasted in the port village. Take an excursion or stay on board IMO. Damn whistle from Senior Frogs is enough to skip this stop altogether for my family
1998-OKW Grand Villa
1999-Boardwalk Villa
2001-Wilderness Lodge Villa
2002-Grand Floridian&Beach Club
2004 Jan-Beach Club (found out we were having Eli)
May 05 BWV (Eli's first trip)
Nov 05 BCV:2 2-beds (Eli's 2nd trip,pregnant w/Claire)
Jan 07 Boarwalk: Eli's 3rd Trip, Baby Claires First
Jan 08 Week at the BW Eli's 4th trip, Claires 2nd
Jan 2010, Boardwalk
Jan 2011, Back to the Boardwalk (our favorite)
2012 Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean 7 night
Jan 2013 Bay Lake Tower
Jan 2014 Boardwalk
y2khardtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #4
queenofeverything
Mouseketeer

We just got off the Magic and chose to stay in the port area. It was our 3rd trip to Costa Maya, so we did have previous experience. We had a great day, swam in the pool, had some frosty beverages from Carlos n Charlies and just relaxed. They have a huge saltwater pool with a large swim up bar. In town there are lots of places that have nice areas on the beach to enjoy the water and food and beer. I do wonder how many places will be open on Christmas Day. Do a search on this board for Costa Maya and you will find out alot of information. Also, there is a tram that runs up and down the pier, so you don't have to walk unless you want to.
queenofeverything is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:58 PM   #5
Ajojo
Mouseketeer

This weill be our first time to Costa Maya and we want to go to Chachobben ruins. Has anyone gone recently?
Ajojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
Nanny2004
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofeverything View Post
We just got off the Magic and chose to stay in the port area...Costa Maya...there is a tram that runs up and down the pier, so you don't have to walk unless you want to.
Is there a cost to use the tram? If so, how much? Does it run continuously? We will be there in 5 weeks!

Nanny2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajojo View Post
This weill be our first time to Costa Maya and we want to go to Chachobben ruins. Has anyone gone recently?
We booked the Disney excursion to the ruins, everything was great until it started to pour & basically cut the tour short. Disney refunded our money, once they confirmed the weather with the tour provider. We heard from other folks who did not book their excursion through Disney, that they were not eligible for a refund.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
Started With a Mouse
DIS Veteran

We're going to the Tropicante, which has excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. We don't drink enough to get our money's worth at Maya Chan.
Started With a Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #9
disneydreamer82
DIS Veteran

We used that bus. It was $2 a person one way and it dropped you off downtown. It was a nice bus with AC and clean, not overcrowded either. We got off and went to one of the free beaches where a nice man took us to a table and chairs under an umbrella. We bought a few cervezas and some chips and pico de gallo. Very reasonable prices and a beautiful practically empty beach. Calm water and soft sand. Afterwards we walked back about 2 blocks in search of a little shack to have lunch at, and we were not disappointed! We stopped at a little place and had the BEST lunch EVER!!!! We ended having a really great day and then we just took a cab back to the port for less than $10 I believe. All in all I would do that all over again in a heartbeat!

:
disneydreamer82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 02:29 PM   #10
time4dis
Mouseketeer

We did the ruins through 'the native choice' directly. it was fantastic if you like that kind of stuff, which I do.
time4dis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #11
mywifelovesdisney
Earning My Ears

Another vote for may chan beach.
mywifelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #12
perdy1234
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Started With a Mouse View Post
We're going to the Tropicante, which has excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. We don't drink enough to get our money's worth at Maya Chan.

We have booked this with Steve. Very excited about it.
perdy1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:27 PM   #13
collectoraholic
Is it time to sail yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajojo View Post
My DH and I did the adults only tour to Chacchoben on the 9/22/12 Magic sailing and REALLY enjoyed it! What was nice about this one was that the Magic was the only ship in port that day, so there were only 4 buses of people from Disney @ Chacchoben, so it wasn't overly crowded at all. Something to consider when trying to decide which ruins to visit on a cruise. Check the port schedule and see how many ships will be in port so you can guesstimate how crowded any ruins might be.

HTHs! & Happy sailing!
Old 10-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #14
JessGav
Earning My Ears

We went to a small resort, a cab ride away (not far), good food, beverages (including beer, margaritas), beach, clean, reasonable cost. We were told the island is still recovering after a hurricane a few years ago. I dont remember the name of the resort but we had a great time!
We got back to the port area with time to spare so we looked at the shops and went back to the ship. A very relaxing day, probably my second favorite. Castaway Cay was the best!
JessGav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #15
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Started With a Mouse View Post
Another vote for the Tropicante...try the one hour massage for 25 bucks. Also the shredded beef tacos are to die for.

TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
christmas, costa maya, fantasy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: