Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #691
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy + 3 View Post
Don't you just need to go with the midwestern boy?
I'm from the midwest and a proud supporter of Team Tim.

That whole Cubs thing is a total dealbreaker. Apparently I hate the Yankees slightly less. And they're in a different division and league so they're easier to ignore.
afwdwfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 02:30 PM   #692
Goofy + 3
DDC 400
Remember, it's ok to cry a little. Not too much, just a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwest View Post
I could....but that green and gold is just so ugly.
But Cubbie blue trumps that.

Quote:
Well, the plan is to run the whole thing. This has been a fitness goal/reward for me so I'll feel bad if I don't give my best effort. If I can hit the 2:30 mark I would be ecstatic. I have this problem that when I start walking it is very difficult for me to start running again. I'll be at WDW for 5 nights so there will be plenty of time to smell the roses.

Tell me about the course. Are there many hills? I've been purposely avoiding hills in my training so far and don't want to be surprised come January.
I've considered doing the "Galoway method" which would involve run/walk intervals. If you train that way, you should be able to do it on race day. I'm convinced that my time would have been better if I had walked more. It sounds counterintuitive but while you're walking you're also resting some of the "running muscles". Then when you start running again, you're faster.

The course is extremely flat. Around mile 10 or 11 you go up an exit ramp and that's no fun. Fortunately, there was Sarge from Toy Story there to provide motivation. Other than that, it's Central Florida.

The biggest problem in my mind is how boring it gets after you leave MK. The beginning is exciting because your big day is finally here. After a mile or two you've seen some characters and that's cool. Then you go by the race track and MK comes in to view. That's exciting. You weave around the back of MK a little then next thing you know you're on main street. Pretty awesome stuff. I felt like I could have sprinted through MK without using any energy. Definitely the best part of the race. The problem is that once you leave MK, you've still got 5 or 6 miles to go with not much to look forward to. The last mile is fun again because there are so many people cheering for you. Well, they'll be cheering for you if you're on Team Barry. Not sure about Team Tim.
DIS Dad #400

Last edited by Goofy + 3; 10-05-2012 at 02:37 PM.
Goofy + 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 02:39 PM   #693
Goofy + 3
DDC 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post

That whole Cubs thing is a total dealbreaker. Apparently I hate the Yankees slightly less. And they're in a different division and league so they're easier to ignore.
My luke-warm support of the Reds ends now.

How could anyone hate the Cubs (besides White Sox fans)? We never did nuthin' to nobody. We're the lovable losers. Without playing us 16 times a year (or whatever it is) do you think you would have run away with the division?
DIS Dad #400

Old 10-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #694
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:

How could anyone hate the Cubs (besides White Sox fans)? We never did nuthin' to nobody. We're the lovable losers. Without playing us 16 times a year (or whatever it is) do you think you would have run away with the division?
Well, the Cards, Brewers and Pirates played the Cubs just as many times.

Don't worry, I have as much (if not more) dislike for the Cards. I just don't like the Cubs because I'm surrounded by Cubs fans. That's alright, I've already seen my team win a World Series in my lifetime.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #695
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Quote:
Wow, this thread is picking up steam. I like it.

Quote:
I SO hope that it's 50 degrees for the run. That is about the perfect temp as far as I'm concerned.
I'd take 60... is that too much to ask?

Quote:
This would be hilarious and, if true, might sway me towards Team Barry. I've yet to choose a side. That whole Packer/Cub fan thing is hard to get over. But then again, so is the Yankee fan. The verdict is still out at this time.
Don't let him sway you... he's on the dark side.

Quote:
SOOOO, the results from yesterdays 5k here at work are in. It turns out that we actually ran 3.312 miles so my time of 35:36 was actually a 10:45 pace. This is an improvement over my 11:00 pace for my previous 5k. Now I feel a little better about it (not that I'm running for time).
that's nice!

Quote:
Like this?
Look at you! A quoting machine!

Quote:
Traffic for the general public is closed sometime around 5 I think, but Disney's busses will be running. You're staying on property, right? I think every resort is a "host" resort (certainly the deluxes are) and they will be bussing to the start. Last year we were staying offsite near AK and my wife just dropped me off at the AKL to grab a bus. That's always an option and it avoids the mess. As bad as the traffic was, our bus never stopped. Then again we were way early.
Yea, we are staying onsite. AllStars as of now unless my waitlist for OKW comes through.

Quote:
I could....but that green and gold is just so ugly.
Yes. Yes it is.

Quote:
Well, the plan is to run the whole thing. This has been a fitness goal/reward for me so I'll feel bad if I don't give my best effort. If I can hit the 2:30 mark I would be ecstatic. I have this problem that when I start walking it is very difficult for me to start running again. I'll be at WDW for 5 nights so there will be plenty of time to smell the roses.

I guess I'm hoping for under 2:30 too. I really don't know what I should expect.
that's nice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:25 PM   #696
that's nice
DDC #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by afwdwfan View Post
Damn right you are!

Quote:
I've considered doing the "Galoway method" which would involve run/walk intervals. If you train that way, you should be able to do it on race day. I'm convinced that my time would have been better if I had walked more. It sounds counterintuitive but while you're walking you're also resting some of the "running muscles". Then when you start running again, you're faster.
I thought of that too... but if I walk I don't think I'm going to run again.

Quote:
The course is extremely flat. Around mile 10 or 11 you go up an exit ramp and that's no fun. Fortunately, there was Sarge from Toy Story there to provide motivation. Other than that, it's Central Florida.
LOL come run here... I was doing hills that were 200ft+ in incline.

Quote:
The biggest problem in my mind is how boring it gets after you leave MK. The beginning is exciting because your big day is finally here. After a mile or two you've seen some characters and that's cool. Then you go by the race track and MK comes in to view. That's exciting. You weave around the back of MK a little then next thing you know you're on main street. Pretty awesome stuff. I felt like I could have sprinted through MK without using any energy. Definitely the best part of the race. The problem is that once you leave MK, you've still got 5 or 6 miles to go with not much to look forward to. The last mile is fun again because there are so many people cheering for you.
Thanks for that info.

Quote:
Well, they'll be cheering for you if you're on Team Barry. Not sure about Team Tim.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #697
jmwest
DIS Dad #578
A little inspirational reading for anyone who gets discouraged. YOU CAN DO IT!

Quote:
But Cubbie blue trumps that.
Cubbie blue just = sad/pitiful

Then again even though I'm an Illini fan I went ahead and made an exception and married a Hoosier. But I'm guessing neither Barry or Tim would look to good in a skirt.

Quote:

How could anyone hate the Cubs (besides White Sox fans)?
There, you finally hit it. Guess who's a White Sox fan?
<-------------

I think someone needs to compose a post of who all has taken a side. This might help me decide who needs an anchor.
DDC Member #578

Me DW DD7 DD3 and DSnewborn
jmwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:50 PM   #698
belias21
DIS Dad's Club Member #717

Hey all... new DDC member here (still waiting to get my official "member number").

Anyway, ran across this thread last night and I think this challenge is awesome and really inspiring to see. Funny too...

I wanted to chime in and say that I ran my first ever 5K this morning!! (Komen Race for the Cure) Time came in pretty good at right around 28 mins - I'm still waiting for the official results. It was actually much more fun than I thought it would be and it's exponentially more exciting than running by yourself.

I'd love to tackle one of the Disney races one day, but I think I've got some serious work to do if I'm going to go farther than 3 or 4 miles. Kudos to you guys for taking this on! I'll be watching...

belias21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #699
that's nice
DDC #330

Quote:
Then again even though I'm an Illini fan I went ahead and made an exception and married a Hoosier. But I'm guessing neither Barry or Tim would look to good in a skirt.
I think Barry might.

Quote:
I think someone needs to compose a post of who all has taken a side. This might help me decide who needs an anchor.
I think Team Barry has more members.... but Team Tim has better quality members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belias21 View Post
Anyway, ran across this thread last night and I think this challenge is awesome and really inspiring to see. Funny too...
to the DDC and to this thread!

Quote:
I wanted to chime in and say that I ran my first ever 5K this morning!! (Komen Race for the Cure) Time came in pretty good at right around 28 mins - I'm still waiting for the official results. It was actually much more fun than I thought it would be and it's exponentially more exciting than running by yourself.
28 minutes is pretty good! I hope the 1/2 is fun... or at least we make it to the end in one piece.

Quote:
I'd love to tackle one of the Disney races one day, but I think I've got some serious work to do if I'm going to go farther than 3 or 4 miles. Kudos to you guys for taking this on! I'll be watching...
Neither of us was a runner either... we just made a decision to do it. That, and the fact that neither of us wants to 'lose' to the other.
Old 10-08-2012, 11:05 AM   #700
belias21

Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
That, and the fact that neither of us wants to 'lose' to the other.
There's something to be said for that too... I'm waiting to see if they're going to announce 2013 ToT 10Miler dates soon because I may send out a challenge to my brother. For some reason, 10 miles seems so much easier than 13.1.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #701
that's nice
DDC #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by belias21 View Post
There's something to be said for that too... I'm waiting to see if they're going to announce 2013 ToT 10Miler dates soon because I may send out a challenge to my brother. For some reason, 10 miles seems so much easier than 13.1.
Did you see the medal from the TOT 10 miler this year? Awesome!!!

Old 10-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #702
Goofy + 3
DDC 400

Quote:

Holy crap - that is cool.

Barry- how'd you do this weekend? Didn't you stretch it out to 7 miles? I had a short run this weekend but will try to get up to 7 or 8 miles this coming weekend. Based on my runs so far, it will be rough.
DIS Dad #400

Old 10-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #703
Goofy + 3
DDC 400

Good news/bad news.

The good news is that I just found more motivation to train hard and run a good race.

The bad news is that it is because I took a closer look at the results from last year and found that of all the 37 yr old males from VA, I came in second to last.
DIS Dad #400

Old 10-08-2012, 01:42 PM   #704
belias21

Quote:

That's worth the price of admission right there!

Old 10-08-2012, 01:52 PM   #705
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460

Quote:
I think Barry might.
Um... Tim. I'd probably be using this against you if I was a part of Team Barry. Just sayin.

Quote:
I think Team Barry has more members.... but Team Tim has better quality members.

Quote:
Barry- how'd you do this weekend? Didn't you stretch it out to 7 miles?
Well considering that I haven't seen anything of him around here today, I'd say not so good.

Either the run or the Packers must have gotten the best of him.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: