Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #16
AndreaA
Mouseketeer

My niece is the same age and similar reading level. Last year she read all the original Wizard of Oz books, Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, The Chronicles of Narnia series, The Secret Garden, The Little Princess, the "Shoes" books by Noel Streatfeild, Boxcar Children Mysteries, Nancy Drew Mysteries (the old originals), etc.. I know they aren't Disney, but might give you a start. She doesn't watch television, so she has no idea who any of the Disney characters are really!

My sister also has a tough time, for the same reasons you mention. She tends to fall back to the classics and the books we loved as children. You might try the original Peter Pan, Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (not babyish, and actually very cleverly written), and there are also some really good fairy tale retellings, such as Beauty, by Robin McKinley which is one of my favorites.

Wilderness Lodge - Oct.2012
Villas @ WL - Sept.2013

Contemporary - Jan. 2015
Villas @ WL - Nov. 2015
AndreaA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:01 PM   #17
mamathompson
Mouseketeer

I picked up a few more American Girl books last night, but I might save those for Christmas and order Mary Poppins and Peter Pan for the trip. She has read many of the books suggested, and I'm keeping a list of the others for more ideas

1996 Caribbean Beach with Mom and Dad
2001 All Star Sports Graduation Class Trip
2011 Riverside First Family Vacation!
2012 Look out Caribbean Beach we're bringing the grandparents!
Currently obsessing over 2014 trip
mamathompson is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-22-2012, 07:10 PM   #18
CHBDISNEY
Mouseketeer

I read kingdom keepers- its a book about + 8th graders and they travel around Disney world and the cruises at night. The whole park comes to life. I think she'll love them!
My sis Baylee , My brother Tyler, Mom & Dad

My trips:

Contemporary Resort- 7/12
Contemporary Resort- 06/11
Port Orleans- ? /09
Saratoga Springs Resort - 09/07
Nickelodeon Hotel - 10/06
Coronado Springs Resort - 7/03
off-site - 3/02
Shades of Green - 1/98

CHBDISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:12 PM   #19
Ccann
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamathompson View Post
My 6 year old daughter is currently reading about a 5th grade level (maybe higher) she devours books faster than I can get them to her. We leave next week for WDW and I'd like to get her something interesting for the plane. Something that can keep her interest, is at her reading level, but not above her maturity level. (and something she won't finish in 20 minutes!)I am hoping to find something Disney related. I was looking at the Kingdom Keepers books, but thought maybe they would be too mature for her. I was also thinking maybe some kind of WDW history, or fun facts? Ideas?
Thanks!
Your Daughter might like the following: *Swiss Family Robinso, Old Yeller(emotional), *The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, *Charlotte's Web, Bridge to Terabithia, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Percy Jackson and the Olympians, *A little Princess, The Borrowers, The Indian in the Cupboard and of course there is always *Pippi Longstocking.

some of my favorite books made to movies...* some of my favorites
Ccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:15 PM   #20
Ccann
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaA View Post
My niece is the same age and similar reading level. Last year she read all the original Wizard of Oz books, Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass, The Chronicles of Narnia series, The Secret Garden, The Little Princess, the "Shoes" books by Noel Streatfeild, Boxcar Children Mysteries, Nancy Drew Mysteries (the old originals), etc.. I know they aren't Disney, but might give you a start. She doesn't watch television, so she has no idea who any of the Disney characters are really!

My sister also has a tough time, for the same reasons you mention. She tends to fall back to the classics and the books we loved as children. You might try the original Peter Pan, Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (not babyish, and actually very cleverly written), and there are also some really good fairy tale retellings, such as Beauty, by Robin McKinley which is one of my favorites.

The Secret Garden was also among my favorites!
Ccann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 04:51 PM   #21
stm61
DIS Veteran

My youngest dd is 9 and also an advanced reader. She is reading the Kingdom Keeper series and Harry Potter now, but I don't think she'd have gotten into either series at 6. Not Disney related, but my dd and my ds7 both like the Magic Treehouse books series. The Hank Zipzer series, written by Henry Winkler, who starred in Happy Days, is also good. He writes about his life as an elementary school kid with learning issues and it's pretty funny. I teach special ed and I liked it, my class just thought it was ok. Another good series, which I've used in my classroom, is written by Carole Marsh. It's about a set of grandparents (Carole and her husband), who take their 2 grandkids to places all around the country and the world. They always meet up with kids from the place they're visiting and have a mystery adventure. Her earlier books featured her son and daughter, rather then grandkids. The kids are elementary age in the stories. She's got several series out now, the original one I think was listed as Carole Marsh Mysteries. One of the books is set in WDW. My older dd's read them up until this year and they're 13. Note to self: find Carole Marsh mystery books for younger dd!
stm61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #22
heather13
DIS Veteran

Such great suggestions! ITA with the original versions of Mary Popins, Peter Pan, etc. A book of Hans Christian Anderson stories might be good - plus it will have the original version of The Little Mermaid. There is a series of fairy books (Vidia and the Fairy Crown is one) that are longer paperbacks. Might take an hour for your DD to read. Aside from Disney, my 6yo loves series like Beverly Cleary (esp Ramona), Mrs Piggle Wiggle and The Littles.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #23
ilovefairies
Earning My Ears

My DS is currently reading The Mystery at Walt Disney World by Carole Marsh. He hates reading, but he loves this book. It has got him really excited about his first visit to WDW

ilovefairies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #24
tcufrog
DIS Veteran

I read all of the OZ books when I was a kid. The second book is pretty dark. Dorothy is sent to a sanitarium because her OZ stories make people think she's crazy. While she's there she undergoes electroshock therapy. She ends up running away during a stormy night. There's also a woman who wants her head for her head collection. Instead of changing clothes she changes heads. The heads are alive and are in a room together. It's been decades since I read those books and I still remember those things vividly. I just wanted to warn you.

What about the Choose Your Own Adventure series? The books have been re-released.

Another fun thing if you're willing to do them with her would be Mad Libs. My son is 5 1/5 and very advanced. He thinks they're lots of fun.

You could also get her or make her a travel journal. Package it with crayons or colored pencils, a glue stick, scissors (in the luggage since you can't take them on the plane) and tape. I did one with my son during our last trip and he had lots of fun with it.

What about classics like The Secret Garden or The Little Princess?
tcufrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:22 AM   #25
Lilliputian
DIS Veteran

My older boys are advanced readers and were reading at about the same level when they were your dd's age. For WDW specifically, they really liked the Birnbaum's official guide. I didn't give them the one for kids. The one for adults has more information, and they love to plan.

I agree that some of the original books upon which Disney movies were based are fantastic. My boys read Wind in the Willows, the Pooh books, 101 Dalmations, and Peter Pan when they were about her age. If you have an e-reader, all except 101 Dalmations is free because they're old and in the public domain. Swiss Family Robinson is a wonderful book, but it's about a high school reading level. It wouldn't be interesting to a 6 year old no matter how well that 6 year old reads. It will be greatly enjoyed in about 3-5 years, though.

I wouldn't do any abridged books, like Illustrated Classics or others. A child who enjoys reading will thrive with the original versions, which have such descriptive language and well-developed plots. If she isn't ready for the unabridged version, then hold off a few years.
Lilliputian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #26
disneyandme
DIS Veteran

Try Peggy Parrish- Clues in the Woods or Key to the Treasure. Older books about siblings visiting their granparents and following clues left by their grandparent and siblings when they were kids. Wholesome.

disneyandme is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: