Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board > Disneyland Paris Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 07:50 PM   #137
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit_Jude View Post
Thanks - though it does seem strange that I could be in a Disney Park and it be cold enough to ice skate and need my thermals I see you're in Illinois too

IheartDDuck - I'm looking forward to my European breakfasts
That one thing about the cold is a little strange.

She never introduces herself, but DVCWDWMEMBER is actually my Mom. So we're all in the same area. Well, not much longer for you though!

European breakfast is just the best. I was so happy eating that every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecskc View Post
Loving your TR so far !! How exciting !! And how wonderful to be staying with family and learning a new language. I love your DLP pics. That castle is epic !! Can't wait to see more !!
That castle is definitely the best one I think.

It was really nice staying with family for the majority of the trip. Makes you feel so much at home.
IheartDDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #138
PracPerfPatricia
DIS Veteran

How nice to have family in Belgium and such hospitable ones at that... It's great that you were able to stay with them... I think knowing someone from the country just adds such a depth to it...

We were really lucky to be in Paris once when my friend was traveling there as well and we got to have lunch with her Aunt and Uncle and Cousins... and it was absolutely one of my favorite parts of the trip... it was also nice to be able to dust off my high school/college French and use it... it seemed the more wine consumed the more fluent I became... but seriously it is really nice to be able to communicate-even a little- in another language...

(As much as I love my country and am deeply grateful to be American...it really annoys me that some people just think everyone else in the rest of the world should speak English...)

Speaking of European breakfasts (of which I am also a fan ... good coffee and a little bread and cheese -its all good) we were in a little tea salon on the Ile St. Louis in Paris and a large,loud American man comes in with his wife booming in English "What time do you all open for breakfast?" The owner who was an attractive, petite middle aged women who was also waiting tables rushed over to the door and tried to explain in English that they didn't really open till lunch and then served tea and pastries in the afternoon-they did not serve breakfast but he could get croissants and coffee at the cafe down the street for breakfast if he wished. He left rather disgruntled complaining loudly about "not being able to get any solid bacon and eggs breakfast in this country"... Um... I'm sorry, why did you come to France if just to eat an American breakfast and bellow at people in English... you've could have easily done that at home and for free too... Isn't the whole point of traveling to another country to experiences it's culture... something different than at home?

Ahhh that castle at DLP... I think although the 3 that I've seen (MK, DL & DLP) are lovely that one in Paris is extraordinary...

I love the how they interpreted the New York theme in the hotel... looks like a great place to stay... I'd like to at least stay over night next time versus daytripping from Paris...

Loving this TR...

Oh PS... I think you should have your Tips for International Travelers published...
PracPerfPatricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:19 PM   #139
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PracPerfPatricia View Post
How nice to have family in Belgium and such hospitable ones at that... It's great that you were able to stay with them... I think knowing someone from the country just adds such a depth to it...
It definitely was nice to have family along. You're right, it does add depth to the trip, because they will take you to places that you would typically never think of.

Quote:
We were really lucky to be in Paris once when my friend was traveling there as well and we got to have lunch with her Aunt and Uncle and Cousins... and it was absolutely one of my favorite parts of the trip... it was also nice to be able to dust off my high school/college French and use it... it seemed the more wine consumed the more fluent I became... but seriously it is really nice to be able to communicate-even a little- in another language...
Hahaha, or perhaps the more wine you consumed, the more fluent you THOUGHT you became. Because that would totally be me.

Quote:
(As much as I love my country and am deeply grateful to be American...it really annoys me that some people just think everyone else in the rest of the world should speak English...)
This is seriously one of my pet peeves in life. I'm completely surprised at how many people speak english fluently, but not in a bad way. The other people that think people should just know english are just stupid.

Quote:
Speaking of European breakfasts (of which I am also a fan ... good coffee and a little bread and cheese -its all good) we were in a little tea salon on the Ile St. Louis in Paris and a large,loud American man comes in with his wife booming in English "What time do you all open for breakfast?" The owner who was an attractive, petite middle aged women who was also waiting tables rushed over to the door and tried to explain in English that they didn't really open till lunch and then served tea and pastries in the afternoon-they did not serve breakfast but he could get croissants and coffee at the cafe down the street for breakfast if he wished. He left rather disgruntled complaining loudly about "not being able to get any solid bacon and eggs breakfast in this country"... Um... I'm sorry, why did you come to France if just to eat an American breakfast and bellow at people in English... you've could have easily done that at home and for free too... Isn't the whole point of traveling to another country to experiences it's culture... something different than at home?
Oh my goodness, that's crazy! I had a similar experience, but it was actually in WDW.

So we were eating dinner at the restaurant in the France pavilion, and this couple was sitting next to us talking about their trips to Paris. And the guy was completely obnoxious saying "you know, they get all huffy if all you want to do is go to a restaurant and have coffee and dessert....I mean, that's all I want....coffee and dessert. Why on earth do they get so bent out of shape about it....blah blah blah", to which my Mom said "well, being as though I'm from Europe, it's because restaurants are for eating long good meals. Cafes are for coffee and dessert. You just don't do that there. You're wasting the servers time". It was awesome!

Quote:
Ahhh that castle at DLP... I think although the 3 that I've seen (MK, DL & DLP) are lovely that one in Paris is extraordinary...

I love the how they interpreted the New York theme in the hotel... looks like a great place to stay... I'd like to at least stay over night next time versus daytripping from Paris...

Loving this TR...

Oh PS... I think you should have your Tips for International Travelers published...
I love the Paris one for sure. It's just so unique and beautiful.

I'll consider publishing my tips for International travelers. That would be cool. But I'm not sure anyone would buy it.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #140
MazdaUK
Curse this time difference!
You show me yours I'll show you mine!
Now I just want to go home and spread my bits of paper about

Just so everyone knows, the rooms get smaller in line with prices, which is why HNY is 2nd biggest rooms after Disneyland Hotel (you gets what you pays for)

The castle is the le Chateau de la Belle aux Bois Dormants (or Sleeping Beauty's Castle in English)

I notice you also had Speculos spread available - my DSis and I always stock up on that in Belgium or NL as we can't get it here
DLP Disney Hotel New York May 2003
Disneyland - 2 days visit while staying at Sheraton Anaheim on honeymoon September 1990
MazdaUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:50 PM   #141
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MazdaUK View Post
Just so everyone knows, the rooms get smaller in line with prices, which is why HNY is 2nd biggest rooms after Disneyland Hotel (you gets what you pays for)

The castle is the le Chateau de la Belle aux Bois Dormants (or Sleeping Beauty's Castle in English)

I notice you also had Speculos spread available - my DSis and I always stock up on that in Belgium or NL as we can't get it here
Yeah, it's exactly the same in WDW too. The less expensive the rooms the smaller they are. Our rooms don't get quite as small as rooms in Europe though. You know how us Americans are. The bigger the better.

Yeah, they did have Speculoos spread on the table. Amazingly enough, we can actually get it in the US now! And in Walmart of all places. I walked into Walmart and saw it on the shelf, and I was like GET OUT! Speculoos cookies were always my favorite growing up, we always had them in the house, even though when I was that little, they were really hard to find here.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #142
DVCWDWMEMBER
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartDDuck View Post
Yeah, it's exactly the same in WDW too. The less expensive the rooms the smaller they are. Our rooms don't get quite as small as rooms in Europe though. You know how us Americans are. The bigger the better.

Yeah, they did have Speculoos spread on the table. Amazingly enough, we can actually get it in the US now! And in Walmart of all places. I walked into Walmart and saw it on the shelf, and I was like GET OUT! Speculoos cookies were always my favorite growing up, we always had them in the house, even though when I was that little, they were really hard to find here.
When my grandmother was still alive she would send us Speculoos from Belgium.. and she would also send us Cote D'or chocolate....We loved getting those packages from her

When Danielle was little we used to find the Speculoos cookies at World Market... It was always a treat for the kids because it was expensive to buy
6/85 Offsite:12/86 DI: 8/88, 1/98, 5/00 DLR- Offsite:12/91 CR: 11/93 FWC: 1/99 POFQ: 9/99 CSR:01/02 CB/PR: 01/03 BCV: 12/03 DCL/BCV:10/04, 10/08 SSR: 05/05 PR: 01/06 WL: 05/06 GC-DLR: 11/06 POFQ: 02/07 DLH-DLR:11/07 BWV/POR: 05/08 OKW/VB: 05/09 AK/VB:10/09 GF:09/10 Disneyland Paris :11/10 POP: 07/11 BLT: 9/11 OKW: 6/12 Disneyland Paris : 7/13 WL,SSR-THV,AK :1/14 SSR:5/14 BC :11/14 WL: 2/15 AK: 8/15 DLH

DVCWDWMEMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:09 PM   #143
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCWDWMEMBER View Post
When my grandmother was still alive she would send us Speculoos from Belgium.. and she would also send us Cote D'or chocolate....We loved getting those packages from her

When Danielle was little we used to find the Speculoos cookies at World Market... It was always a treat for the kids because it was expensive to buy
Haha, I remember having the cookies, I just don't remember great Grandma sending them. Apparently I thought the cookies just appeared magically.

I miss World Market. *sigh*
Old 10-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #144
DVCWDWMEMBER
Mouseketeer

I miss world market too
6/85 Offsite:12/86 DI: 8/88, 1/98, 5/00 DLR- Offsite:12/91 CR: 11/93 FWC: 1/99 POFQ: 9/99 CSR:01/02 CB/PR: 01/03 BCV: 12/03 DCL/BCV:10/04, 10/08 SSR: 05/05 PR: 01/06 WL: 05/06 GC-DLR: 11/06 POFQ: 02/07 DLH-DLR:11/07 BWV/POR: 05/08 OKW/VB: 05/09 AK/VB:10/09 GF:09/10 Disneyland Paris :11/10 POP: 07/11 BLT: 9/11 OKW: 6/12 Disneyland Paris : 7/13 WL,SSR-THV,AK :1/14 SSR:5/14 BC :11/14 WL: 2/15 AK: 8/15 DLH

DVCWDWMEMBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:16 PM   #145
PlutosRHM55
Pluto's Un-Mentioned Manager

Location: Amongst the thousand happy haunts beginning to materialize, but suffering a disquieting metamorphosis... Your cadaverous pallor portrays an aura of foreboding, you know?

All caught up! Looks like this was a lot of fun and Disneyland Paris looks gorgeous so far! Same with Belgium and most of the Europe so far, oh I really wish now I had been going to Austria for my chorus trip now! I'm also enjoying the Dutch lessons. So excited to hear about more!
PlutosRHM55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #146
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCWDWMEMBER View Post
I miss world market too

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlutosRHM55 View Post
All caught up! Looks like this was a lot of fun and Disneyland Paris looks gorgeous so far! Same with Belgium and most of the Europe so far, oh I really wish now I had been going to Austria for my chorus trip now! I'm also enjoying the Dutch lessons. So excited to hear about more!
The trip was going great at this point.

I'll try to keep up with the Dutch lessons.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:24 AM   #147
Queenofallthings
DIS Veteran

I couldn't agree with you more about taking in the scenery. I was so happy not to have to drive when we were in Scotland, my uncle took care of that! I just gawked out the window all the time! It's great when you family cause they know all the back roads and you get to see way more than from the motorways!

What a gorgeous room! Oh and that castle, I never thought I would think another castle was nicer than Cinderella Castle...but this one sure gives it a run for it's money!
Queenofallthings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 12:50 PM   #148
TinksThree
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Don't hate the player, just hate the game. I'll make sure to take lots of pictures to share with you. You'll make it there.
Ok, that sounds great!! Maybe I can let up on the "hate" a little bit!

Quote:
[COLOR="Red"
International Travel Tip #23 - Check tipping procedures for the country you are traveling to. In a lot of cases, it's okay to still try to tip, but don't expect that they'll always accept it. For example, our driver from Heathrow airport didn't accept his tip and the Mousekeeper at the hotel never took the tips in the envelopes we left either. Their thought process? They're doing the job they're already paid for.

Keith feels this way at WDW. As I read this I thought maybe he feels this way from spending so much time in Europe while in the Air Force. He says exactly what you said their thought process is!

And soon, the most beautiful Disney castle, in my opinion.

[/COLOR]
That castle is so pretty!! I agree-at least from pictures!

Well, I was only three posts behind. Kind of glad you are slow!! It fits my pace!

That was one long travel day but the end result looked extremely rewarding!! And I really liked the picture of the French countryside...very quaint!

The hotel room looked nice too! But I think one of the best pictures was in the little car!!
TinksThree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:49 PM   #149
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenofallthings View Post
I couldn't agree with you more about taking in the scenery. I was so happy not to have to drive when we were in Scotland, my uncle took care of that! I just gawked out the window all the time! It's great when you family cause they know all the back roads and you get to see way more than from the motorways!

What a gorgeous room! Oh and that castle, I never thought I would think another castle was nicer than Cinderella Castle...but this one sure gives it a run for it's money!
I was really glad that I didn't have to drive at all, because it gave me the opportunity to just watch everything go by.

The room was really nice. I agree, I always thought that Cinderella Castle would be my favorite, but this one is so unique that it just takes my breath away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinksThree View Post
Ok, that sounds great!! Maybe I can let up on the "hate" a little bit!

That castle is so pretty!! I agree-at least from pictures!

Well, I was only three posts behind. Kind of glad you are slow!! It fits my pace!

That was one long travel day but the end result looked extremely rewarding!! And I really liked the picture of the French countryside...very quaint!

The hotel room looked nice too! But I think one of the best pictures was in the little car!!
Hahaha, no hate here. LOL.

I am slow this time. I gotta get crackin' for sure. I'm just not able to update on a daily basis. I try to do weekly, but I'm going to make an effort for twice a week.

Our little car picture was hysterical. I think people thought we were nuts.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:09 AM   #150
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

Best Haunted Mansion EVER!!!!!

Day 1 June 30, 2012

We finally made our way further into the park. We were HONGRY! So our first mission was to actually head in and find somewhere to eat.

I grabbed a map and we scoped it out trying to figure out where we wanted to have dinner. The park was crowded and everyone was lined up on Main Street. I'm pretty sure it was for the parade.

Our choice? Head into Fantasyland (and get some pictures on the way).

It's Dumbo!

Restaurant of choice? Au Chalet de la Marionette.

It was a quick service location and the food was very very yummy. I LOVED their packaging!

Mom and I ordered:

Roasted chicken, with fries, fruit salad, and a drink for 13.99 euro

Dad ordered:

Bavarian hot dog (translated really awesome sausage on pretzal bread) with fries and a drink for 10.99 euro

LOL. I love catching him candid. He's such an easy target.

I gave him the rest of my chicken. Hahaha.

As always in Disney, remember to look up!

International Travel Tip #24 - Remember that portions are very different in Europe as a whole. They do not eat the quantity that American's do. Also, remember that their foods are different, even though they may look the same. Even products like Coke will taste different, because their guidelines are tighter (especially in France and Belgium). They are extremely strict on the amount of sugars allowed in foods, to protect the children. Also, there is normally no such thing as a free refill, even on something like water.

Stomachs full, we finally headed out into the park for some rides.

Hello Adventureland!

Methinks there are pirates around...

I love the structure of this Pirates of the Caribbean. Old Spanish style fort.

First ride of the trip!

This version of Pirates is the original, un-Johnny Depp-afied version. It's also the non-PC version where Pirates chase the ladies. I don't know about you guys, but I'm all about non-PC Pirates!

While we were waiting in line, the ride did go down for about 5 minutes, so we took a self portrait.

When the ride came back up, everyone, and I mean everyone in line clapped and cheered loudly. Man I love Europe. We're normally so blasé here.

The other thing that makes this Pirates awesome? There's a redneck ride photo opportunity!

After that, we headed over to Indiana Jones and the Temple of Peril (i.e. a roller coaster).

Some photos along the way.

Sadly, only to be greeted by this sign.

It was closed. The entire area is actually closed for refurbishment, so I don't know if they're completely overhauling it or are going to replace it completely.

The park was pretty crowded, so we just took time exploring and taking everything in, which is something I missed out on the last time we visited.

Now, the exploring had to stop when I found.....this.

Phantom Manor! Being the biggest Haunted Mansion fan ever, I was super excited! The last time we visited, it was closed, and I didn't get the chance to to go on it.

I dare you to knock....

While we were in line there was a family with the cutest, most beautiful girl I've ever seen. She was about five years old and completely taken with my Mom, ,so she kept playing with her while we waited. It was so cute, and the parents were so pleasant.

Finally, we head inside.

We enter the stretching room, and it was hysterical! When it reached the part where you have to look up at the ceiling and it goes pitch black, everyone (and I mean EVERYONE!) in the room screamed at the top of their lungs for the longest time. I've never seen that in WDW. Never in my life. And I will honestly tell you that when we went on Phantom Manor again later in the trip, it happened again. Man, they're fun here!

International Travel Tip #25 - Europeans are very boisterous and they really have no shame in being loud. Go with it....it's fun.

So, my verdict of Phantom Manor? It's the best incarnation of the Haunted Mansion I've ever seen. No joke. Like, to me it makes the one in WDW look piddly. What's awesome is that they use the bride to the fullest here, she's the entire storyline and it carries all the way through. It's just great. I tried to take video, but it's pitch black and it didn't come out. But I absolutely adored it.

Awesome!

Up next: Let's do some shopping at DLRP!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: