Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
sanapunk
Kahtkateer
Me number one kite flier!

So Pete..ready to join your running team??

I loved the 10 miler segment! Listened to it on my walk and now i really want to sign up for that race!! Who is going to join and support Pete!?

Who's the driver of the kaht that's made for you and me? V-A-R-L-E-Y B-A-W-B!!
sanapunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
stenogoddess
DIS Veteran

I would totally be on Pete's team.

I also think it would make a great fundraiser for Give Kids the World!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Chropistopy
DIS Veteran

I'd sign up...it would be a great goal. A year is totally enough time to get ready for 10 miles...I may be walking alongside Pete but I think I could cross the finish line standing up.

Chropistopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:05 PM   #4
clomahony
Mouseketeer

I have to say that the podcast covering the TOT 10 mile race was inspiring so I'd totally join Pete's team - in fact, I've decided that I will do this next year - if they have it- and have started to prepare because I'm morbidly obese and it will take me a year to be ready for this. Thanks for the inspiration!

August 2006 - Villas at Wilderness Lodge
November 2006 - Port Orleans Riverside
September 2007 - Disneyland, November 2007 - Sheraton Vistana
April 2008 - All Stars Movies
May 2009 - All Stars Movies
June 2010 - Vistana
January 2011 - Disneyland, December 2011 - Animal Kingdom Lodge

clomahony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
Ms. Belle
Today is my Unbirthday!

I loved the running segment and felt so inspired after listening that I'm actually considering doing one of the races. A year would be enough time for me to work up to 10 miles. I used to run, but haven't done it in a long time and have been smoking much longer than I even ran, so this would be a good goal for me. It's scary to think about, because running was always so painful for me. I didn't realize that there are so many tools out there to help you work up to the level you want to be at. I'm going to try it and would love to be on Pete's team.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #6
DrDoodle
Earning My Ears

I have been thinking of signing up for a run Disney event. If Pete will run I know I can do it. Now the biggest challenge is to get my husband to agree to a trip next year!
Old 10-03-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
stenogoddess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chropistopy View Post
I'd sign up...it would be a great goal. A year is totally enough time to get ready for 10 miles...I may be walking alongside Pete but I think I could cross the finish line standing up.
You could totally do it!! Plus, more time with me, what's not to love~
Old 10-03-2012, 10:14 PM   #8
Chropistopy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenogoddess View Post
You could totally do it!! Plus, more time with me, what's not to love~
I never turn down Lauren time!

Old 10-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #9
myweegirls
Caught the Disney Bug from my husband and am now hooked in my own right!

Hey all,

I'm so glad you guys liked this segment! Eric, Ryan, Pat, and I really enjoyed doing the race and recording with Pete and Dustin, and I love that we're inspiring some of you to action.

I wanted to amend something we said during the segment - we were under the impression that if you were "swept" (picked up by the pace vehicles) you didn't receive your ToT 10-Miler medal. I've since learned from a few race reports that this isn't the case. There were many walkers who were swept for being unable to maintain the minimum pace. They were asked to board the sweeper buses, given Powerade and snacks, and were transported to the finish area, where they were able to walk across the finish line and receive their medals. Some were devastated not to be able to "really" finish, while others were proud of how far they'd come (I read one report from a poster who was delighted to walk as far as she did given that a year ago she'd weighed in over 350 pounds and saw this medal as recognizing her efforts to lose weight and get healthy). All reported that Disney handled the sweep with grace and dignity and with the utmost concern for the participants' health and safety.

So we stand corrected! And I'm still playing with my way-cool, glows-in-the-dark, elevator-moving medal.

XO
Liz

ABD ~ 2013 (Backstage Magic) * AKL ~ 2010 * AKV ~ 2012, 2013, 2014 * Aulani ~ 2014 * BLT ~ 2011 * BC ~ 2010, 2014 * BWI ~ 2010, 2012 * BWV ~ 2011 * DCL ~ 2012 (Dream/PC 3.0 & Fantasy/PC 4.0), 2013 (Dream), 2014 (Dream), 2015 (Wonder) * DL Offsite ~ 2013 * GC ~ 2011, 2014 * GF ~ 2011 * Poly ~ 2009, 2010 * POFQ ~ 2010 * Royal Caribbean ~ 2013 (Oasis/DIS Cruise 1.0) * WL ~ 2013

myweegirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
disneytink29
Earning My Ears

I did the 5k at the Wide World of Sports the morning before - it was soooo much fun. See all of the 10-mile finishers inspired me to go for the 10-miler next year!!!!!!!!!!!
disneytink29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #11
sanapunk
Kahtkateer
Me number one kite flier!

Thanks for the update on the medals, to be honest it is probably one of the main reasons I want to do this race! I just got new running shoes that glow in the dark so a glow in the dark medal would MAKE MY LIFE COMPLETE!!

Who's the driver of the kaht that's made for you and me? V-A-R-L-E-Y B-A-W-B!!
sanapunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #12
Frontier Girl
Basically Magical

I LOVED the segment and I'd really like to go do that ToT run next year too! I've always been of that "I will NEVER run unless it is to catch a train" mindset, but I've taken it up in the past two months. So let's do this!

Frontier Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #13
NitroStitch
DIS Veteran

I loved the segment on the ToT 10 Miler! I ran the race myself and got sick from the heat a few hours afterward, so it's the medal I'm most proud of so far.

The funny thing was, Pete sounded just like me before I started running. My whole life, I've said: I. Don't. Run. Unless something is chasing me that I can possibly escape, forget it. When they forced us to run a mile in high school, I couldn't think of much that was more miserable and painful.

A few years ago, I kept hearing from people that looked like normal people (not the ultra-gaunt athletes I imagined) that were walking and run walking RunDisney races and talking about how much fun they were. Finally I decided I would attempt walking one of the races to see what I was missing.

I ended up deciding I personally wouldn't be good at walking fast enough for the minimum pace, and used the Couch 2 5K iPhone app to gradually insert a little running into my walks until I was able to run enough of the time to keep the required minimum pace. Starting with one of the RunDisney 5K races is a great way to get your feet wet - you get an idea of how they organize the races and expos and get a taste of the characters and entertainment they have on the courses. The 5Ks are mostly fun runs and most aren't timed, so you can enjoy the experience without worry of being swept.

I'll never run a whole race (it's not even a goal). I'm a slow runner, but with run-walk and gradual training to work up to the race distance, I enjoy the RunDisney races very much. Pete - it's very do-able, even for those of us who absolutely refused to run before.

I just need to win the lottery in order to have enough time off and money for my Disney fixes. That's all.
NitroStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:47 AM   #14
AB6876
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroStitch
I loved the segment on the ToT 10 Miler! I ran the race myself and got sick from the heat a few hours afterward, so it's the medal I'm most proud of so far.

The funny thing was, Pete sounded just like me before I started running. My whole life, I've said: I. Don't. Run. Unless something is chasing me that I can possibly escape, forget it. When they forced us to run a mile in high school, I couldn't think of much that was more miserable and painful.

A few years ago, I kept hearing from people that looked like normal people (not the ultra-gaunt athletes I imagined) that were walking and run walking RunDisney races and talking about how much fun they were. Finally I decided I would attempt walking one of the races to see what I was missing.

I ended up deciding I personally wouldn't be good at walking fast enough for the minimum pace, and used the Couch 2 5K iPhone app to gradually insert a little running into my walks until I was able to run enough of the time to keep the required minimum pace. Starting with one of the RunDisney 5K races is a great way to get your feet wet - you get an idea of how they organize the races and expos and get a taste of the characters and entertainment they have on the courses. The 5Ks are mostly fun runs and most aren't timed, so you can enjoy the experience without worry of being swept.

I'll never run a whole race (it's not even a goal). I'm a slow runner, but with run-walk and gradual training to work up to the race distance, I enjoy the RunDisney races very much. Pete - it's very do-able, even for those of us who absolutely refused to run before.
That is exactly what I did as well.. It is amazing how the Disney races are so beginner friendly they make you believe you can do it. I just finished my first full marathon last weekend.
I would love to know how many people started running because they thought the could try a Disney race...
Can't wait for my first Disney marathon in January!

AB6876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:06 AM   #15
Chropistopy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB6876 View Post
That is exactly what I did as well.. It is amazing how the Disney races are so beginner friendly they make you believe you can do it. I just finished my first full marathon last weekend.
I would love to know how many people started running because they thought the could try a Disney race...
Can't wait for my first Disney marathon in January!
I completed my first 1/2 marathon in 2006 b/c I wanted to do a Disney race. I walked it and proceeded to run/walk the 1/2 marathon the next two years. I have not ran in the last 4 years but know that I would attempt a Disney race before any others at this point.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: