Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 12:03 PM   #1441
Blessed_wth_Triplets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The V Gang View Post
I'm wondering about that too. We are booked at AoA for 10 days in April 2013. Read the great reviews about AoA but we've stayed at deluxes almost every visit (stayed at POR last year and was totally bummed).. Don't want to spend a fortune to look at construction walls.

When will the beach walls come down??????

I noticed you are a big family too! Just curious...will you get two rooms at GF? We would need two rooms next time and I just can't afford it....at GF at least
Old 10-05-2012, 01:40 PM   #1442
runskimom
Earning My Ears

Pictures of courtyard pool construction

http://www.wdwmagic.com/resorts/disn...urbishment.htm
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 01:54 PM   #1443
Butterflygirl35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by runskimom View Post
Thanks for sharing!! I can't wait to see all the changes when we go back in Sept!!
Old 10-05-2012, 05:47 PM   #1444
sydneysmom
ready to go back to Disney..... NOW!

I'm SOOO excited, I just had to share with everyone....we just booked our trip! We're all booked for June 1-8 !!! I'm so excited that we're going "home to the Grand!!" And what did my DH say ? I knew I'd convince you !!

I'm just WAY too excited to sleep!!!!! The countdown is really on now!

2010 : Grand Floridian and MNSSHP
2013 : Grand Floridian and DH's birthday!
2016 : First trip to Universal
Old 10-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #1445
johnsonet
DIS Veteran

Hope all you GF guys and gals are doing well.

k&a&c'smom, the FAQ looks great
Hi BCV23

We are headed to the Grand after Christmas and I cannot wait We haven't stayed there in at least 3 years ...been trying out other resorts (BLT, BC, YC, WL) and, my all-time favorite, AKL

Can't get over those pics of the courtyard pool construction. Hopefully the pool, Gasparilla Grill and Sandy Cove will all be open by the time we get there. So excited
Old 10-06-2012, 09:06 AM   #1446
BCV23

Loves the magic of the trains
Would enjoy a magical meal at the castle
Loves the name Hatuey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonet View Post
Hope all you GF guys and gals are doing well.

k&a&c'smom, the FAQ looks great
Hi BCV23

We are headed to the Grand after Christmas and I cannot wait We haven't stayed there in at least 3 years ...been trying out other resorts (BLT, BC, YC, WL) and, my all-time favorite, AKL

Can't get over those pics of the courtyard pool construction. Hopefully the pool, Gasparilla Grill and Sandy Cove will all be open by the time we get there. So excited
Hi GF Gal! So glad to see you here. So excited for you. I hope everything is finished by your stay and that the decorations are still up!

Butterflygirl35 and sydneysmom, congrats to you on your upcoming Grand plans as well.

runskismom, thanks for posting the photos. Does it appear to the rest of you that the shape of the pool is remaining as it was? I know it's early days.

Hi CoachBagFanatic. The years with our children go way too fast, don't they? Happy Grand planning.

k&a&c'smom, great news on the jobs. As for decorations at the GF, it varies year to year. In one recent year, the decorations came down on 1/1. Another year we left on 1/12 and most were up until that day. We've seen everything in between. I do think the gingerbread house tends to go up on the early side now even if the rest of the decorations lag behind. I think they like to keep us guessing. It is so magical to awaken to a decorated resort. When we first started going to WDW in the early 80s, everything was decorated overnight in the week following Thanksgiving. Parks and resorts. Of course, there were just two parks and two resorts plus FW and the villas by the Markeptplace in those days. Anyway, it was so magical!
Old 10-06-2012, 09:18 AM   #1447
johnsonet
DIS Veteran

Thanks, BCV23

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCV23 View Post
Hi CoachBagFanatic. The years with our children go way too fast, don't they? Happy Grand planning.
I am learning this way too quickly these days.

Quote:
It is so magical to awaken to a decorated resort. When we first started going to WDW in the early 80s, everything was decorated overnight in the week following Thanksgiving. Parks and resorts. Of course, there were just two parks and two resorts plus FW and the villas by the Markeptplace in those days. Anyway, it was so magical!
So magical.

Are they doing a rehab of the rooms at all? Is the decor going to remain the same? (bedspreads, etc.?)
Old 10-06-2012, 09:21 AM   #1448
MommyGina
DIS Veteran

Hi folks! I have been catching up on this thread and saw some news about the GF Spa.

When I booked my trip last week for July, 2013, our TA said that the spa would still be closed.

Just thought that I would pass that along.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:45 AM   #1449
CoachBagFanatic
My two Shiba babies :-)

Location: Somewhere between here and there!! Just as long as there is a Coach store in the middle I am happy :) Love the Dropkick Murphys!!

Quote:
Hey lady. Oh way too fast. My DH is on the Disney web site right now looking at dates for next June at the GF for just the three of us. We also talked about bringing John with us in 2014 for their HS graduation and stay at Michael's favorite, The Poly as a big surprise instead of bringing John with us next summer. I think Michael would really enjoy that better. He likes the GF but has always loved the Poly even though we never stayed there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonet View Post
I am learning this way too quickly these days.
Time sure does fly especially when it comes to our children. The GF at Christmas is so wonderful. Happy planning.
Old 10-06-2012, 09:53 AM   #1450
LINDATHEPOOH
Mouseketeer

Courtyard Pool

I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong area but can anyone explain why they are getting rid of the deep end in the courtyard pool? The only resorts I was aware of that had a pool with a deep end were the GF and the Poly. My husband is 6'3" and although I would never cancel my reservation to the GF just because of the pool depth I am curious why it's being done after all these years. Thanks for any answers!!
Old 10-06-2012, 10:19 AM   #1451
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

HFC1969 - thanks for the Mizner's update. That's a shame, as I think many were happy to hear the hours would be long enough to stop by after park closing.

MommyGina - thanks for the spa news.

runskimom - thanks for the link, I've been hoping someone would post photos! I have not spent any time online looking for news lately, I'm glad you kept us in the loop.

CoachBagFanatic - LOL about the Poly being your DS's fave, even though you haven't stayed there! Your plans sound great, I'll bet the boys will enjoy the trip.

johnsonet - good to see you, my friend! Exciting about the GF plans, woohoo!

I have not heard anything about a room refurb, though some of us have speculated it is nearly time for one again.

BCV23 - I was just going to mention they seem to be leaving the shape of the courtyard pool intact! YAY! Doesn't it look like they are also leaving the baby pool and hot tub, or is that wishful thinking?

Thanks for the decorations info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINDATHEPOOH View Post
I apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong area but can anyone explain why they are getting rid of the deep end in the courtyard pool? The only resorts I was aware of that had a pool with a deep end were the GF and the Poly. My husband is 6'3" and although I would never cancel my reservation to the GF just because of the pool depth I am curious why it's being done after all these years. Thanks for any answers!!
Welcome! No apologies needed, this is the place for GF discussion.

I wish I could answer that question! Is it official they ARE filling the deep end? Someone posted CMs have suggested this is the case, and it sure looks like it from those photos, doesn't it?

DD and I are not very tall, but we love the deep end and can't imagine why it would need to be 4 ft. (or whatever) rather than 6. With the splash zone and zero entry at both pools, seems like there is plenty for the small fry - the adults should have an area of their own.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 10-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #1452
CoachBagFanatic
My two Shiba babies :-)

Location: Somewhere between here and there!! Just as long as there is a Coach store in the middle I am happy :) Love the Dropkick Murphys!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
CoachBagFanatic - LOL about the Poly being your DS's fave, even though you haven't stayed there! Your plans sound great, I'll bet the boys will enjoy the trip.
I think taking John for their HS graduation will make the trip much more special. Not telling Michael about the Poly as I really want this to be a special surprise for him. We are thinking of a split stay between the Poly and the Portofino for that year. I think that will be a great trip for all.

OK LOOK BELOW!!!
I can't control my excitement. It will be 5 years since we have stayed at the GF. I am already packed.

Last edited by CoachBagFanatic; 10-06-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #1453
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachBagFanatic View Post
I think taking John for their HS graduation will make the trip much more special. Not telling Michael about the Poly as I really want this to be a special surprise for him. We are thinking of a split stay between the Poly and the Portofino for that year. I think that will be a great trip for all.

OK LOOK BELOW!!!
I can't control my excitement. It will be 5 years since we have stayed at the GF.
Very exciting!!

Your plans for the grad trip sound perfect - a Poly/PBH split would be awesome.

Quote:
I am already packed.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser

Last edited by k&a&c'smom; 10-06-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #1454
johnsonet
DIS Veteran

Quote:
...The GF at Christmas is so wonderful. Happy planning.
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post

johnsonet - good to see you, my friend! Exciting about the GF plans, woohoo!

I have not heard anything about a room refurb, though some of us have speculated it is nearly time for one again.
Thanks

Quote:
OK LOOK BELOW!!!
I can't control my excitement. It will be 5 years since we have stayed at the GF. I am already packed.
Woohoo It's been years for us too and we are really excited. I just created a countdown ticker too.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:37 PM   #1455
The V Gang
The V Gang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blessed_wth_Triplets View Post
I noticed you are a big family too! Just curious...will you get two rooms at GF? We would need two rooms next time and I just can't afford it....at GF at least
Yep...we r a big family! My in laws rent from all star vacations. They offer to take my little ones (ages 6 and 1) home with them in the evenings so we can enjoy EMH. Otherwise GF wouldnt be an option. Definitely too expensive to get two rooms!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: