Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
alwaysmagical
Earning My Ears

Never taken a cruise before

And I'm a bit wary. Just got back from my fourth trip to WDW and it was great, as usual. We are planning on our next trip being a Disney cruise, but I've never been on a cruise and don't know what to expect. Does anyone know a good starting point for my research? Or hints that you want to share? Tips like what time of year to go, what to bring, etc? Thanks in advance!
alwaysmagical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #2
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

I really liked the Birnbaum and Passporter guides, especially the passporter one. When I first started researching on here, I was pretty lost. After reading both of those books, it really helped me to understand what the boards talk about. So I'd say start with that, then search for or post any questions you still have. I'm super excited to go on my first cruise as well! I just wish it wasn't a year away.
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #3
Zandy595
DIS Veteran
The other day I found a big honkin' frog in my toilet

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysmagical View Post
And I'm a bit wary. Just got back from my fourth trip to WDW and it was great, as usual. We are planning on our next trip being a Disney cruise, but I've never been on a cruise and don't know what to expect. Does anyone know a good starting point for my research? Or hints that you want to share? Tips like what time of year to go, what to bring, etc? Thanks in advance!
We weren't sure about cruising at first either, so I decided a 3-night was the best way to go. That way if we hated it, it wouldn't be that long. LOL Also, if you're at all prone to motion sickness, I suggest taking Bonine starting the night before you get on the ship.

Read every thread on this board that looks interesting to you. It's the best way to learn about every DCL.

Animal Kingdom Lodge Pop Century All Star Music All Star Movies Caribbean Beach DCL Wonder 2001 DCL Magic 2004, 2008 DCL Dream 2011, 2012, 2014 DCL Fantasy 2015
Zandy595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:54 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

My only hint on the books is that any book is out of date by the time it is printed (things can change literally from one cruise to the next). Both of these books are reputable and the authors have made a great effort to be accurate, but you might notice things that are not exactly as the book might imply.

For a first timer, I'd strongly recommend a good travel agent who has attended the training Disney provides AND has cruised on one of the ships in the class you are considering. A travel agent who is available to answer your questions before and after booking and who knows more than what anyone can find on line is very valuable when you don't know the ships at all. In addition to their great service, many provide an onboard credit (real money that you can spend on the ship) or other "thanks for booking" gift.

And keep reading here--you'll learn a lot!
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Good point! I do find it highly annoying that both books are SO out of date. They kind of suck for anything on itineraries. But I really found them helpful for understanding how the whole process works. I was seriously lost on these boards before I read one.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:02 AM   #6
traceyw
Mouseketeer

I just wanted to say that DH and I felt the same way as you do. Lots of trips to WDW and our DD's saw a commercial for a cruise and begged to go. We bit the bullet and booked an 8-night for our first cruise this past summer which was bold because it was lengthy if we didn't like it. We LOVED it, though, and were so glad we had that long of a cruise. It takes a few days to get familiar with the ship and how things work so I would suggest at least a 4-5 night cruise for your first one. Give it a try - we're hooked now!

traceyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
alwaysmagical
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec View Post
I really liked the Birnbaum and Passporter guides, especially the passporter one. When I first started researching on here, I was pretty lost. After reading both of those books, it really helped me to understand what the boards talk about.
I will DEFINITELY check these out, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post

For a first timer, I'd strongly recommend a good travel agent who has attended the training Disney provides AND has cruised on one of the ships in the class you are considering. A travel agent who is available to answer your questions before and after booking and who knows more than what anyone can find on line is very valuable when you don't know the ships at all. In addition to their great service, many provide an onboard credit (real money that you can spend on the ship) or other "thanks for booking" gift.

And keep reading here--you'll learn a lot!
And a travel agent - may sound silly to some, but we've never used one and I sort of forgot they existed. I bet that would really make things easier!
alwaysmagical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
2BusyPlanning
DIS Veteran

The boards here have a lot to answers to specific questions. But, there is a lot of detailed text from the main site WDWinfo. I have also found it to be very helpful with first time cruisers info.

Next Trip:
September 20, 2014
DCL - Fantasy, Eastern Caribbean - AGAIN!

1st DCL cruise: Fantasy, Eastern Caribbean, September 21-28, 2013 - My Blog
2BusyPlanning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #9
Minnie321
DIS Veteran

I have read everything on the disboards since February and now I can answer questions people ask and I havent gone on my first cruise yet! I did buy one of the books about two months after I started reading here and the book didn't have anything I didn't already know! The people here are so much more knowledgable than a book - and they are more up to date!!

Minnie321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #10
Weedy
DIS Veteran

For general info click on the red bar at the top of this page there is tons of info to get you started. It's broken down overview, iteneries, staterooms and much much more. When I have a specific question I have better luck doing a Google search for example dis boards Disney cruise do I need a passport. I've never had much luck using the search feature on these boards. I also used the pass porter book the first time we cruised. It's a great overview. Also if you have any more questions ask away on these boards people are very helpful.
Weedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #11
bulldog42
Mouseketeer

My suggestion would be to order the free disney cruise planning DVD from the disney cruiseline website. My family loved it! There isn't a ton of info on it for individual ships but you will be able to see all of the parts of the ships and the itineraries and ports of call. My kids really enjoyed watching it, it really got them excited to go on our first cruise!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: