Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 06:16 PM   #16
ICF
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom View Post
I don't know anyone who doesn't tip in these instances - it gets delivered, you tip.
I don't know anyone who does tip in these instances - you're paying a lot for delivery, you don't tip.
ICF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:43 PM   #17
DVC-Don
DIS Veteran

Location: Saratoga County, New York and Poinciana (Solivita), Florida in the winters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tooth Fairy View Post
.............. Never have tipped delivery teams.
Same here. I delivered furniture in my early 20's and rarely got tipped. Didn't expect it.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #18
MMitchell29
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy'sMama View Post
Tipping was originally for waiters/servers that make less than minimum wage. Now everyone expects to be tipped. Where does it end? Those drivers make well over minimum, tips are not factored into their income, and they probably don't report them as income. I don't think you need to tip them at all. A nice thank you is sufficient.
I totally 110% agree. when does it ever end
MMitchell29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #19
kathie859
DIS Veteran

Another non tipper here. It just never occurred to me to tip them
I do offer a drink of water or a cup of coffee.
kathie859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #20
kneedeep
Loving the Florida life

I have asked around about this same question around my neighborhood, and it's pretty much split 50-50 on who tips and who doesn't. If I am paying a $79+ delivery fee I usually tip when service is beyond what is expected. So if the delivery is straightforward (no stairs, they use a dolly, etc.) I wouldn't feel obligated to tip. Now here in FL it is always hot, so I do offer a bottle of water. If there is additional set-up involved, or they have to move other things, I have tipped about $10 per person.
kneedeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #21
Eastern
DIS Veteran

I don't tip on appliance delivery/installation.
Eastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #22
irishsharon
DIS Veteran

I give $10-$20 depending on how much work they have to do.Just thinking of the holidays how much for sanitation workers we get a holiday postcard from them every December.We give $20 per worker.I think whats funny is that with teachers,bus drivers,den leader,and on and on......dh and I don't even exchange gifts to stay on budget ......just thinking out loud
irishsharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 12:37 AM   #23
cornflake
DIS Veteran

It's not as if the delivery people get the delivery fee. That goes to the store, not the guys lugging appliances and furniture around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisy'sMama
Tipping was originally for waiters/servers that make less than minimum wage. Now everyone expects to be tipped. Where does it end? Those drivers make well over minimum, tips are not factored into their income, and they probably don't report them as income. I don't think you need to tip them at all. A nice thank you is sufficient.
I don't know where the idea that delivery people make "well over minimum" comes from. I've known a couple; they didn't make a lot.

I tip because they DON'T make a lot, they do hard, physical labour and because that's what you do - as someone said, if it's delivered (save a couple very specific things like mail or FedEx or etc.), you tip.

Tip the food delivery, grocery delivery, dry cleaning, liquor store, etc. If they go out in the whatever weather, lugging the crap I didn't want to, they get a tip.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:34 AM   #24
pantherlj
DIS Veteran

I tipped $10 and then 3 loads of laundry later realized they hooked up the hot and cold water backward!!!

Home Depot gave me a small credit back on my purchase for the ruined items. So, just double check to make sure they are hooked up right before you put 100% cotton shirts in a "cold" wash
pantherlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #25
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran

The only time I've ever tipped for furniture delivery is the time the guys had to haul a washer/dryer combo unit up 2 flights of stairs (the elevator was broken) and take the door off my apartment to get it inside.

(Exact trip dates a work-in-progress!)
dawnhaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:20 AM   #26
njmom47
He's such a fiend!
The monkeys would go crazy on the cars
I wound up with orange tiger stripes

When we had dds beds delivered, the guys had to bring one upstairs and one to the basement bedroom. They set up both beds, and we tipped each guy $10. We also tipped the guys who delivered our washer and dryer (and lugged them downstairs to the back of the basement) $10 bucks each as well. We just always do.

Junior Brody Stella Luna Louie Ella the Bunny
Christmas 07/New Years 08-CBR (baseball), 2006-POR (cheering), 2001-Dixie Landings, 1988, 1975-Offsite
Trip was great...no new ticker for awhile!
njmom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:40 AM   #27
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

This issue is discussed on this board all the time. Some people tip, some (IMO cheapskates) don't.

These people work hard. I recently had a love seat delivered and tipped ($20 - $10 each to two guys).
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #28
lost*in*cyberspace
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Tipping was originally for waiters/servers that make less than minimum wage.
No, this is not how tipping originated. The custom existed long before the minimum wage was even imagined.
lost*in*cyberspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:46 PM   #29
sherry7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
^^That^^

I just had a new washer and dryer delivered last weekend. I offered the 2 delivery men bottled water, which they seemed to appreciate. Before the DIS, I had heard of anyone tipping for appliance delivery, furniture delivery, etc.
sherry7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #30
dex08
DIS Veteran

OP here - Thanks for everyone's responses!

DH tipped the delivery/installation guys $10 each = $20 total.

While we did receive free installation and haul away, we felt the two delivery guys were outstanding, very helpful with our questions (even un-related questions to the install), and did a great job. They were both very grateful for the tip, and also much surprised when DH handed it to them (at least they seemed to be). I guess some people tip, some people don't and they must be used to it.
dex08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: