Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 04:48 PM   #76
disneygal2007
He's my Soldier and I am his Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbleib1 View Post
Does the military even allow the family to live in S Korea? I know at one time they did not.
Yes they do. But you have to stay for 2 years. Or the service member goes for a one year tour.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #77
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygal2007 View Post
Because I don't want to live in Korea for 2 years. Flying isn't the reason for not going to Korea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbleib1 View Post
Does the military even allow the family to live in S Korea? I know at one time they did not.
I'm coming up on the end of my year and a half in Korea (we got stuck in the change of the program, otherwise it would have been two years) and even in the time I've been here I've seen things improve quite a bit. It really isn't that bad. I know it's a personal choice, but coming over here isn't an experience I would change, even though it means I haven't been to Disney in almost 2 years.
Also, the money is really good over here. I've been able to afford going back to the States twice for dying grandparents and we still have managed to save quite a bit more on top of that. Pretty much everyone I know here manages to save quite a bit of money whether they come with sponsorship or without.

My biggest regret is that we didn't get to go to Tokyo Disney while we were her, but that's because I decided to go back to the States twice for dying grandparents.

If two years is too much for you, it is possible to come over non-command sponsored and just do the year tour. I don't know that I'd be willing to do that with kids (especially older ones) but the entitlements are pretty much the same, except you have to pay for your plane tickets (being at Fort Lewis gives you the easy option of SpaceA on the Patriot Express) passports (which I recommend everyone having anyways) you don't qualify for DLA or CSP pay, and your weight limit is lower.

There are Facebook pages for all the different installments over here (Camp Casey, Yongsan, Red Cloud, Humphreys, Osan). It might be worth it to check them out.

When I first started researching Korea I was really turned off by it as well, because of the lack of information available to me, but now I know where to look.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 12:36 AM   #78
disneygal2007
He's my Soldier and I am his Princess

If my kids were smaller we would go. There are several reasons we are staying. One big one is my job. I don't want to leave my kids at work. And my oldest is getting the help he needs here. We all have our own reasons for doing things.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:47 AM   #79
Leajess99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Because I don't want to live in Korea for 2 years. Flying isn't the reason for not going to Korea.
I so do not blame you. I hated my tour in Korea and thankfully it was cut short.
Leajess99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:33 AM   #80
MichelleinMaine
DIS Veteran

We drove ME to FL one time. It took two pretty full days to get down. (Stopping late/up early) We were fueled by the excitement of the trip and all ready to go.

That ride home though was the longest trip of our life. You're tired from the drive down, likely run all around WDW and ready for a vacation to recover, and now you want to get in a car for a l-o-n-g car ride home?

I vote to look at Disneyland instead!
Old 10-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #81
java
I am embracing the Turkey Butt
We have the mentally insane lab and the incredibly flatulent Bulldog
I'm the mean wife

I sucked it up and flew a couple years back. I have 4 kids and I didn't want my fear to be their fear. It didn't help that I cried the entire take off. Next time I will try the Xanax route.

I used to be a great flyer. Flew several times a year. Then slowly I started to hate it.
java is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #82
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If my kids were smaller we would go. There are several reasons we are staying. One big one is my job. I don't want to leave my kids at work. And my oldest is getting the help he needs here. We all have our own reasons for doing things.
That's perfectly reasonable. I just know that a lot of people use completely ridiculous anecdotal evidence for making their decision. I think it's important that everyone knows they can come and it's not terrible here.

I've had my own love/hate relationship with the place, but ultimately I'm glad we took the opportunity to come. I'm ready to leave, and not at all anxious to come back though.

Good luck with your Disney trip!
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: