Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 08:35 PM   #31
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctinct View Post
I did what a previous poster did. Took my daughter to one large, one medium, and one small that I thought she would like. She decided she would prefer a school with 2000-5000 students. She knew she wanted a school with strong school spirit-not necessarily for sports, but just a school where people like the school and aren't afraid to show it. (Her litmus test was the number of people she saw on campus wearing school hoodies and such. Trivial thing, I know, but it was something she felt she wanted.) She also thought she might like a school with a Greek system, but that was not a necessity, since she really had no experience with that stuff. She also wanted a defined campus; she did not want something that is essentially plunked down in the middle of a city with no real discernible campus feel.

One of her other criteria was that the school be within a three hour drive of our home, preferably less, which is not as much of a problem as it seems, because we live in the northeast, and there are tons of schools. Then, we had to make sure it was a FAFSA only school, since my ex would not cooperate in filing out the Profile form, nor would he contribute to the cost. A little too late in the process, I realized that there are books that give the % of financial need met. I sure wish I had found them sooner.

So, we visited schools around here. Then, I found one that I thought would be a good fit for her, but it was five hours away. (Oh, yeah, it had to had good science and English depts., too.) I forced her to visit. Really, she groused the whole way there. Guess what school she fell in love with on her visit and now attends? Sometimes mom really does know best. She gives tours at the school now, and when students and parents ask her how she picked the school, she tells them this story.
The problem is that I took my daughter to one large school (she loved it), one medium school (she loved it), and one small school (she loved it). I can't understand how a school with 50,000+ students feels like the right fit along with a school that is only 1,000 students and another with 10,000 students. She always was an odd kid.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:39 PM   #32
daughter_of_amid_chaos
very very very careful about what I post
Daniel thinks I'm a REBEL! ;)

I walked onto the campus of my college to visit and I knew within minutes that it was where I needed to go to school. I looked at other colleges afterwards including one the next day and it just reconfirmed the feeling of where I belonged.

I applied to other schools I liked just in case I didn't get into my first choice but I did and I have absolutely no regrets.

I got the same feeling about where I got my MA.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2012, 01:36 AM   #33
Patience
DIS Veteran

Our daughter attends my husband's alma mater. We went to a football game there once when my daughter was about 12 and she told us she wanted to go there. As a junior in college, we visited my alma mater and a few other colleges that had the major my daughter was interested in but she kept coming back to the university she attends now. It has a beautiful campus, is medium sized and offers the major she wanted. She was also interested in cheering in college and felt she had a good chance of making the team and she did. All in all, it's a great fit for her and she's happy with her choice.
Patience is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:15 AM   #34
Boston Tea Party
Truth is truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaDeeDooDah View Post

When you set foot on the campus, you feel like you are part of a family and that continues for the rest of your life. We have A&M clubs all over the country who get together monthly or even weekly. We have special ceremonies all over the world to remember our Aggie brothers or sisters who we lost that month. We have the network that helps you find a job - but goes above and beyond that to help you get plugged into your community. I knew that if there really was a university like that, it was certainly something I wanted to be a part of.
That is what my daughter experienced with her college. We are ALL now part of the Trojan family even though she is the only one who attends.

My cousin's son is from small town east Texas and started his search at UT. Boy, did he get a shock! He is now at A&M, a much better fit.
You never ever left my side ~ Make it like it was before
Even if it takes a life time, takes a life time ~

~Next Dole Whip… 7/13-7/18 USC Trojan Style! ~
Boston Tea Party is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: