Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #16
disneyeveryyear
Not fully packed until she gets on the plane and then there’s always Wal-Mart!
Disney Lover!!!! (I think I am addicted to exclamation points!)

We just got home from Parents' Weekend, or as I learned to refer to it - Debit Card Weekend. I think he enjoyed seeing us, he had loads to tell us. He loves the design studio for his major, his English class not as much.

He is getting along well with his roommate and 1 of the suitemates (who is a sophomore, but went to same HS). He has made some really good new friends, and doesn't seem to have any interest in joining in the party scene.

He is coming home for the next 2 weekends (fall break and big HS rival football game), but DH and I are off cruising for our 25th anniversary, so we will only see him the final Sunday a.m. before he goes back.

We are thrilled that he is loving every minute of it.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:53 AM   #17
SC Minnie
Are we there yet???
Buying toilet paper is like flushing money down the toilet.
The folded over ones are the absolute best!!!

DD is loving college. She hasn't been home since we dropped her off mid August but we've seen her 2 times when we were in that area. She is getting involved in a few activities. She is near the coast and went kayaking last week with a group from the school. Edwin McCain is giving a concert there soon and she is so excited to see him again.

She is getting along with 2 of her 3 roommates (there are 4 girls in each apt dorm). The 3rd one doesn't want to do anything with the other girls. They say they try to include her and invite her but she prefers to stay in her room. DD has also made several new friends and has done things with them on the weekends.

Overall she is loving the additional freedom. So far her grades are good but she says she's bored with a couple of her classes. She went to orientation and registration later and couldn't get into the Spanish and Math class she needed. I've been telling her to go with the flow and enjoy the time she doesn't have to spend studying on these 2 classes. She's hoping to graduate in 3 years, it may stretch to 3 1/2 depending on when her higher level classes are offered. One thing that was a bummer is we had bought tickets to see The Who in Greensboro but she found out she has a manadatory event to attend the same weekend.
Register to remove

Old 10-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #18
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

Almost hate to say it, but we cannot believe just how wonderfully everything has been going for DD. Her roomate, suitemates & most neighbors are all pretty nice & have formed their own little "family" to hang out, study, eat with. Just last week she got hired for the job she wanted most of any she applied for & then later that evening at an engineering meeting she bumped into a professor she had hit it off w/ at the scholarship competition last year. When she went to go say hello she could not believe he remembered her, her senior research project they had discussed in detail AND then turned around & invited her to come in at her convenience if she wanted to do some research work in the lab for him. When she called us afterwards it sounded like she needed to lay down to absorb everything that happened just that day.

She's joined 3 engineering groups, volunteered on some community service projects, met some amazing people from Michigan, across the US & around the world. She's going to be busy, busy, busy but she's having the time of her life.

Can't ask for more than that. Crossing my fingers it all stays so positive & ducking & watching for the anvils to fall as I say it.
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:37 AM   #19
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWBarb View Post
I miss her tremendously. She's asked me not to come to parents weekend (yes, that broke my heart).

I always hoped she would enjoy school but it almost feels like she likes it too much.

Oh, and she's dyed her hair blue, white and burgandy and she's also gotten a tattoo over her entire thigh.

Where did my sweet little girl go?
I miss mine too - well, the old her. She didn't want us to come to parents weekend either. In fact, she really doesn't want us anywhere near her town. I can pick her up but can't come in her dorm or take her anywhere in the city.

She came home this weekend because all of HS buddies came home and the only time I saw her was when I picked her up and dropped her off. She was out w/them the whole time and spent the night at a BFF's house.

On the plus side, she LOVES it. She has said repeatedly that she is so happy w/her choice. Loves her sorority, classes & job are ok, getting along w/suitemates though they're not best buds. She plans to move to the house next year and is finding people to eat with, despite her odd eating times due to her job & class schedule.

We rarely hear from her unless she needs something and only quick calls to chat, she wants to go as soon as anyone comes in.

She got a tattoo after HS graduation - complete shock to us but it's small and tasteful. She is much less willing to share info about even general stuff and gets prickly very quickly. I'm not trying to pry, just ask general questions about her life. I was not a helicopter parent, she has always had a lot of freedom as long as her grades stayed up, etc. and they always did. She is harder on herself than anyone else and loves to stay busy. I'm not used to her being so unwilling to share the most basic info.

After all these years of trying to raise an independepent kid, I'm having a little trouble getting used to how completely independent she has become! I keep reminding myself to be happy for her because I'd much rather miss her while she's off having a blast than have her miserable.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:43 PM   #20
Arielle22
We have had spirits
I had never heard of it before the Dis
this is how we show love, get used to it

DD is loving college. She was dropped off Labor Day weekend and is coming home this weekend. We have skyped and emailed/texted. Yesterday at a family birthday party we hooked up Skype so she could see everyone.

She has joined two clubs and made some friends. She gets along with her roommate but they don't share the same interests. Roommate is into athletics while my daughter is into social causes.

My only concern is her eating. She was small anyway and one day at dinnertime she posted she hadn't eaten yet. She brought some food and we sent a care package a couple of weeks ago but I want her to eat a decent meal. I told DH she would be the only person to go to college and lose 15 lbs rather than gaining them.

Other daughter is looking at colleges now as a senior. So we get to do this all again next year!
CB 03/92
CSR and BC 08/09
BWI 11/11
OFF SITE 88,94,96,00

Arielle22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #21
KDIPIAZZ
Mouseketeer

DH and I were quite concerned when DS decided to attend school 1500 miles away. All worries thus far have been completely unfounded - DS is very happy and adjusted quickly and well. Classes are going extremely well - much better than we had hoped for so far. The roommate situation is tolerable - they are complete opposites but seem to appreciate the differences and there have been no conflicts. He rushed a frat, received his bid, will pledge next semester and move into the house for his sophomore year. He's extremely excited to go on a pheasant hunt with the department head and has an interview lined up over Christmas break for an internship a little closer to home over the summer.

The best part is that he calls 1-2 times per week and actually carries the conversation. DH and I joke that we've spoken to him more in the last 6 weeks than we did during his entire senior year of high school...and the conversations are much more pleasant
KDIPIAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:07 PM   #22
ENSOCK
DIS Veteran

DS is loving it. He is only 2 hours away, so he comes home every weekend mostly. Every night it is almost the same "Mom I met a new girl!" I had to tell him that I am sending him for an education not to find his next girlfriend.

He is eating too well. There is a culinary class so the students work in the cafe. He has gained his freshman 15lbs. But now he is working out, playing pool every night and starting to play tennis. Someone told him that was a great way to pick up girls.

But I have spoken to a few of his HS classmates parents, and they are moving home. It makes me feel so much better that he is enjoying it.

Tina
ENSOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:30 PM   #23
a1tinkfans
Spreading Some Pixie Dust Today!

My ds is so HAPPY and I/we are THRILLED .....
The transition was so much easier than we ever imagined. He is active socially and THAT is huge for him.....Its all Great....
I thank Him every day
Old 10-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #24
kacaju
DIS Veteran

DDS is home this weekend..She, as I said, is LOVING college. I took her out shoppin gthis evening..She was telling me her 5 suitemates and her have already talked about rooming together next year! They all get a long so well.
kacaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #25
Buckalew11
2013 1/2 Marathon Finisher!!! Woohoo!!

So this weekend football is away and the AT asked DH if he'd could go with them. DD and another student trainer were going too. DH called DD and asked her about what she thought about him going and she was fine with it. So off they went. DH called tonight and I asked about sleeping arrangements and he said he and DD were sharing a room. Wah! Wish I could have been there! DH is a paramedic who is a volunteer for them. I hope they have a good weekend and come home with a win!

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Shining at the end of everyday
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
And tomorrow is just a dream away
Buckalew11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: