Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Universal Studios/Sea World > Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure Forums
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #856
ksromack
DIS Veteran
 
ksromack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 1,616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathymford View Post
How did I miss THAT tart on my first trip last October??? I came over to this thread to get more hyped for my 2nd visit!!! And I'm so glad I did! We pan to go to Potter a week from today!! I'm still a little worried about going on a weekend, but I think that's what people here recommended! Can anyone give me any reassurances? Or any other secrets I might have missed last time?
We'll be going on a weekend too....in December. From what I've read Sundays are THE day to visit WWoHP, esp if you are there for early entry (i.e. staying at an on-site hotel). We'll be getting in on a saturday at noonish so we plan to visit US first and make sure we migrate over to WWoHP when it get's dark to take in all its glory with lights Then we'll be back at RP the next morning.
__________________
ksromack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #857
Kathymford
A little obsessed is ok....right?
 
Kathymford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 25 miles from DLR
Posts: 1,704

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksromack

We'll be going on a weekend too....in December. From what I've read Sundays are THE day to visit WWoHP, esp if you are there for early entry (i.e. staying at an on-site hotel). We'll be getting in on a saturday at noonish so we plan to visit US first and make sure we migrate over to WWoHP when it get's dark to take in all its glory with lights Then we'll be back at RP the next morning.
We are not staying on-site, but will get there early. This has been my plan for a while now, I'm just getting nervous about it since its so close now! HA
__________________
Kathymford is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 09-10-2012, 05:03 PM   #858
turtlechick6
supergeek
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 222

Hi there! I was wondering if the lines have died down on this yet? We are going to Islands of Adventure the week after Thanksgiving. The guides say crowds are low at that time since everyone heads back to work or school after the Thanksgiving break. We are traveling with my 5 year old twin boys who are not tall enough for the Hidden Journey ride. The adults want to ride it. What is the child swap like as we will have 2 groups of 2 adults to switch out. I just don't want to make my boys stand in line for hours for a ride they cannot even ride.

My plan was maybe get there right at opening and run to the ride first? Is that a good strategy? Thanks!

Also our trip is from Nov 26th through the 30th. What day of the week is best to try IOA?
turtlechick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:33 PM   #859
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

 
mesaboy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 26,387

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlechick6
Hi there! I was wondering if the lines have died down on this yet? We are going to Islands of Adventure the week after Thanksgiving. The guides say crowds are low at that time since everyone heads back to work or school after the Thanksgiving break. We are traveling with my 5 year old twin boys who are not tall enough for the Hidden Journey ride. The adults want to ride it. What is the child swap like as we will have 2 groups of 2 adults to switch out. I just don't want to make my boys stand in line for hours for a ride they cannot even ride.

My plan was maybe get there right at opening and run to the ride first? Is that a good strategy? Thanks!

Also our trip is from Nov 26th through the 30th. What day of the week is best to try IOA?
You won't need to run, lines should not be bad first thing in the morning, especially that week. Any day Tuesday to Thursday of your dates should be just fine.
__________________
WDW: 46 visits (5 MNSSHPs, 1 MVMCP, and 400+ M&Gs);
DLR: 1 visit DLH; Tokyo: 1 visit; DCL: 1 5-night Dream; Universal Orlando: 12 visits
The Six-Park Six-Pack: 6 parks, 14 rides, 1 day -- 11/06/11

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:06 AM   #860
BluOrchid2
Princess Aurora's Mommy
WL VET
 
BluOrchid2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Lee's Summit, MO
Posts: 1,175

Just returned from 4 days at Universal. Sunday morning it was raining, granted, but we went straight to Forbidden Journey and rode it three times in a row with NO waiting at all. The rest of our trip we always went straight there first, and walked right on.

The longest we waited for a ride was 45 minutes, one time, and that was for The Rip-Your-Guts-Out coaster at Studios. Most of the time for all four days the waits for all the rides were 10 min or less.
__________________
June 2000 Polynesian Resort
December 2002 Polynesian Resort
March 2003 Wilderness Lodge
August 2003 Wilderness Lodge
November 2003 The Swan
August 2004 Wilderness Lodge (Hurricane Charley stayed with us! )
September 2005 Port Orleans French Quarter
October 2006 Port Orleans French Quarter
September 2008 Port Orleans French Quarter
December 2009 POFQ
BluOrchid2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:57 PM   #861
DisneyFreak06
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyFreak06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada
Posts: 3,538

We're hopefully heading to WDW for March 16-23 or so. Hopefully is the key word. It's my sister, her husband, her (then) 18 year old son, 5 year old and 2 year old daughters. My nephew and I read all the Harry Potter books (together, since he was 7!) and I want to spend a day at IoA, mainly WWoHP. I went in Aug 2010, when everything was brand new.

I was reading through this thread and someone mentioned the Castle Tour. I will ride FJ, but I want to take pictures (DLSR) of the line before I go on the ride. I will not be permitted to take my camera on the ride, but how will I take pictures of the queue? Do they still do the castle tour?

Any predictions for the crowds?

Because the girls have never been to Disney, we will want to do MK right away on Sunday the 17th, so we'll do WWoHP around Wednesday or Thursday maybe. I'm so excited! This is a trip for them, so making the kids happy is my first priority. And my sister! She's never been either. I took my nephew to WDW when he was 12, and he's a lot like me, so I'll be happy anyways!

Anyways, keep up the advice, I have to do some work for school and then I'll come back and read some WWoHP trip reports I guess...
__________________
Tina the F.I. Kindergarten Pop Century (06) Pop Century (07) POFQ (09) All Star Music (09) All Star Movies and Grand Floridian(10) DL HoJo Anaheim (12) Port Orleans Riverside (12) DL Carousel Inn (13) Art of Animation and Pop (13)Sports and POR (14)

My Trip Reports:
Someone left their inside b*** on the toilet (WDW, July/Aug 2014) Dorothy and Blanche: a tale of leftover shoes and lost things! My Club 33 Disneyland trip! July 2013A Blast from the Past (2009!)The trip to make up for the cold (WDW, July 2012) I'm never staying home for March Break again (Disneyland, March 2012) You little sneak, a TR with lies and pictures (WDW, July/Aug 2010)
DisneyFreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 02:10 PM   #862
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

 
mesaboy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 26,387

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFreak06 View Post
We're hopefully heading to WDW for March 16-23 or so. Hopefully is the key word. It's my sister, her husband, her (then) 18 year old son, 5 year old and 2 year old daughters. My nephew and I read all the Harry Potter books (together, since he was 7!) and I want to spend a day at IoA, mainly WWoHP. I went in Aug 2010, when everything was brand new.

I was reading through this thread and someone mentioned the Castle Tour. I will ride FJ, but I want to take pictures (DLSR) of the line before I go on the ride. I will not be permitted to take my camera on the ride, but how will I take pictures of the queue? Do they still do the castle tour?

Any predictions for the crowds?

Because the girls have never been to Disney, we will want to do MK right away on Sunday the 17th, so we'll do WWoHP around Wednesday or Thursday maybe. I'm so excited! This is a trip for them, so making the kids happy is my first priority. And my sister! She's never been either. I took my nephew to WDW when he was 12, and he's a lot like me, so I'll be happy anyways!

Anyways, keep up the advice, I have to do some work for school and then I'll come back and read some WWoHP trip reports I guess...
The castle tour queue used to be open all the time, but this year they've been using it to absorb crowds during busy times. If it's not busy it should be open, but your dates are during spring break, so I wouldn't count on that. The TMs there may allow you to go through the main queue with your camera, but you will not be able to ride with it.

Since you have little ones unlikely to be tall enough to ride, you could go through as a group in the main queue and do the child-swap option. In this case, whoever stays with the kids could also keep the camera.
__________________
WDW: 46 visits (5 MNSSHPs, 1 MVMCP, and 400+ M&Gs);
DLR: 1 visit DLH; Tokyo: 1 visit; DCL: 1 5-night Dream; Universal Orlando: 12 visits
The Six-Park Six-Pack: 6 parks, 14 rides, 1 day -- 11/06/11

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:32 PM   #863
DisneyFreak06
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyFreak06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada
Posts: 3,538

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
The castle tour queue used to be open all the time, but this year they've been using it to absorb crowds during busy times. If it's not busy it should be open, but your dates are during spring break, so I wouldn't count on that. The TMs there may allow you to go through the main queue with your camera, but you will not be able to ride with it.

Since you have little ones unlikely to be tall enough to ride, you could go through as a group in the main queue and do the child-swap option. In this case, whoever stays with the kids could also keep the camera.
Thanks. The kids aren't coming, actually, they'll be staying at Disney. It's a day for the oldest to get out and do something just for him. Oh well, I guess I'll go through the line once and then not ride, then we'll go through single rider for the ride if worse comes to worst.
__________________
Tina the F.I. Kindergarten Pop Century (06) Pop Century (07) POFQ (09) All Star Music (09) All Star Movies and Grand Floridian(10) DL HoJo Anaheim (12) Port Orleans Riverside (12) DL Carousel Inn (13) Art of Animation and Pop (13)Sports and POR (14)

My Trip Reports:
Someone left their inside b*** on the toilet (WDW, July/Aug 2014) Dorothy and Blanche: a tale of leftover shoes and lost things! My Club 33 Disneyland trip! July 2013A Blast from the Past (2009!)The trip to make up for the cold (WDW, July 2012) I'm never staying home for March Break again (Disneyland, March 2012) You little sneak, a TR with lies and pictures (WDW, July/Aug 2010)
DisneyFreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:48 PM   #864
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

 
mesaboy2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 26,387

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFreak06 View Post
Thanks. The kids aren't coming, actually, they'll be staying at Disney. It's a day for the oldest to get out and do something just for him. Oh well, I guess I'll go through the line once and then not ride, then we'll go through single rider for the ride if worse comes to worst.
Hopefully castle tour will be open and you won't have to do that.
__________________
WDW: 46 visits (5 MNSSHPs, 1 MVMCP, and 400+ M&Gs);
DLR: 1 visit DLH; Tokyo: 1 visit; DCL: 1 5-night Dream; Universal Orlando: 12 visits
The Six-Park Six-Pack: 6 parks, 14 rides, 1 day -- 11/06/11

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 01:58 PM   #865
aharding
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 16

Thanks for all of the tips!!
aharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #866
DisneyFreak06
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyFreak06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada
Posts: 3,538

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
Hopefully castle tour will be open and you won't have to do that.
Hopefully! But it's worth it if I have to. I'll go through once and let my nephew ride it and then go through the single rider line and he'll do it again. Oh... we'll figure it out!
__________________
Tina the F.I. Kindergarten Pop Century (06) Pop Century (07) POFQ (09) All Star Music (09) All Star Movies and Grand Floridian(10) DL HoJo Anaheim (12) Port Orleans Riverside (12) DL Carousel Inn (13) Art of Animation and Pop (13)Sports and POR (14)

My Trip Reports:
Someone left their inside b*** on the toilet (WDW, July/Aug 2014) Dorothy and Blanche: a tale of leftover shoes and lost things! My Club 33 Disneyland trip! July 2013A Blast from the Past (2009!)The trip to make up for the cold (WDW, July 2012) I'm never staying home for March Break again (Disneyland, March 2012) You little sneak, a TR with lies and pictures (WDW, July/Aug 2010)
DisneyFreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 07:50 PM   #867
ashef
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: coastal NC
Posts: 301

best day to visit during Christmas week?

My two teens & I will be in Orlando visiting relatives from 12/22-26 and want to spend one day at WWoHP. I know it will packed every day, but is there one day you think might be better than the others?

Also, I'd really appreciate an itinerary for a one-day trip toWWoHP, if anyone is feeling incredibly generous. We'll be there when the gates open.
ashef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #868
Miksma
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 59

Just returned. We LOVED WWOHP! On Day One, we were just meandering around outside D&B in the covered seating area and a cast member asked how we liked everything. We remarked that it was amazing but we just arrived and were taking it easy because my daughter was a bit overheated. She asked if we'd like a tour. Um...heck yeah! So she said to wait a minute and then came back and walked us around, pointing everything out in the windows and then took us to FJ and pointed things out in the queue. Awesome! The next morning, we came back for early opening (stayed at RPR) and my daughters wore their Ravenclaw ties. We went straight to Ollivander's and were first in line with plenty of time to chat with the charming cast member at the door. My 10 year old was picked for that show. We exited, bought her wand, then went back out and there was no line! So we got back in line and my other daughter was picked for that show. By 8:20, we'd been through Ollivander's twice and purchased two wands.

Thanks to everyone for all their advice -- Our trip was a success and I owe much of that to those who posted tips and tricks I've read over the past few months on these boards!
Miksma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:40 PM   #869
jnoble82
Mouseketeer
 
jnoble82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Syracuse, NY
Posts: 246

Im heading to IOA (for Harry Potter) on Halloween. We plan on getting a cab (from disney) at about 8 or so to get there before Universal opens. What I can expect crowd wise? undercover tourist has it being a green or slower day. Anything I should aim to do right at open? Any "must" dos? Thanks!
jnoble82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #870
leannej613
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 44

How much time to spend in Harry Potter?

We only have one day, and want to hit the major rides outside of Harry Potter before it gets really busy. (going Thursday October 26th) My boys really want to do all the Harry Potter stuff and hope for a walk in lunch to Three Broomsticks. How long do you usually spend in harry Potter World? Allowing for the rides, maybe the Ollivanders show (I read get there ASAP) and of course looking at everything there?

Would you do Harry Potter World before everything else and hope for an early lunch at maybe 11:00? If we went to Harry Potter fist and wanting to try and eat lunch there that would be like 1.5-2 hours in harry Potter.

And then hit all the other rides, which we do have the fast pass.

Or hit the major rides without fast pass first, then harry potter?
leannej613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: