Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #16
djblu883
DIS Veteran

winter camping

be sure you have something under all air mattresses as cold air seeps through from the ground and although you are toasty warm in the covers you will find you are freezing from underneath!!! I've learned when I was still tent camping that putting a really good 20 degree sleeping bag under me made all the difference in the world as well as a tarp under the air mattresses!!!! Even in summer the ground can chill ya but it is a welcome cooling!!! I'll be leaving just as you get there! trying the cabins this time instead of bringing my camper. Gas has gotten to be so expensive its cheaper to just fly! and I've always wanted to try the cabins! Have a magical and warm vacation!!!
Old 09-11-2012, 07:42 AM   #17
Tented1
Mouseketeer

Thanks WinterCamper! Excellent advice. I hadn't thought to put something under the air mattress, makes sense. I did get an electric mattress pad for DD but nothing for the queen.

Have a magical time!

WDW 1969 WDL 1985 CBR 2007
Tented1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-11-2012, 03:15 PM   #18
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

Sounds like a lot of us will be there for christmas. It will be our first time at the fort. We will be there from dec 22-jan 1.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #19
Tented1
Mouseketeer

angelmom27 It's our first time too. It sounds like a wonderful group of people and even though I know it will be croweded I know we will be enchanted. I just have to be ready to crowd chill. Hope to see you there angelmom27!
Old 10-05-2012, 03:42 PM   #20
Tented1
Mouseketeer

I'm at the 2 month 2 week mark and find myself getting a little anxious. Time to pay off the trip with WDW. DD's air bed seems to have a leak DH hasn't been able to find yet. I need a new liner for the slow cooker, narrowing down car top carrier choices (looks like Sherpa 15 cu. ft. hatchbag). Still need to purchase a tarp and ground cloth and a backpack cooler. AND . . .

Old 10-05-2012, 06:56 PM   #21
photogal06
Mouseketeer

You MUST post a photo of your Fiesta when you're all packed and ready to go! I can't wait to see it! We have that same car (in blue, just like in your sig), and I think we must look hilarious when we all pile in for a weekend trip. We are 3 adult-sized people (dd is only 13 but is 5'7") and two 85-lb dogs, and when we add in a weekend's worth of stuff, we are packed to the gills. It is fun though! What sort of bike rack did you find for it? I would love to find one that holds 3 bikes, but I'm afraid that's asking too much of such a little car.

And don't worry about all the little things you have yet to do...they seem like a lot, but you have time to knock them all out before your trip.

February 2001--Fort Wilderness
March 2005--Fort Wilderness
November 2008--Fort Wilderness
December 2009--Bay Lake Tower
November 2010--Fort Wilderness
Halloween 2011--Fort Wilderness
June 2012--The Polynesian
November 2012--Fort Wilderness
Hoping for 2015!
photogal06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #22
Tented1
Mouseketeer

YEAH! I do have company! You've improved my spirits so much! I can just see it, your family of 3 and the dogs! We have 5 outside dogs but they've never been in the Fiesta (mine is actually grey).
My DD9 is also tall for her age at 4'10".
The bike rack is a Bell three bike trunk rack. I will definitely post pics of our trip laden Fiesta! LOL's! I know I'll get it all together (fingers crossed). Thanks for the support!

Old 10-09-2012, 06:22 AM   #23
4kids4karen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by djblu883 View Post
be sure you have something under all air mattresses as cold air seeps through from the ground and although you are toasty warm in the covers you will find you are freezing from underneath!!! I've learned when I was still tent camping that putting a really good 20 degree sleeping bag under me made all the difference in the world as well as a tarp under the air mattresses!!!! Even in summer the ground can chill ya but it is a welcome cooling!!! I'll be leaving just as you get there! trying the cabins this time instead of bringing my camper. Gas has gotten to be so expensive its cheaper to just fly! and I've always wanted to try the cabins! Have a magical and warm vacation!!!
We are a boy scout family. DH and my boys who hiked the appalachian and we camp often.

In the wintertime you need to put a barrier between you and the mattress (in addition to the mattress and the ground) as the air in the mattress will never warm up and will actually suck the heat from you.. We used foam sleeping pad when we camp in the winter. We also use hand/feet warmers in our sleeping bags. You just need one (or two depending on how warm you like to be) tucked into the very bottom of the sleeping bag to make your sleeping bag toasty.

Also, I have a Eureka Copper Canyon and love it. Our boy scout friends do laugh at it. They call it Karen's Castle as they use very small dome tents for their camping. But if we are at a camp site and not hiking I want comfort. I have never sealed the seams, no need with this brand tent. There is a difference between a quality tent and a walmart tent. We purchased ours from Bill Jackson's in Clearwater, FL. These B&M store do not usually have knowledgable trained staff. To tell you there is no difference between their stuff and Walmart just means they carry cheap stuff in their own opinion.
4kids4karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:39 PM   #24
Tented1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kids4karen

We are a boy scout family. DH and my boys who hiked the appalachian and we camp often.

In the wintertime you need to put a barrier between you and the mattress (in addition to the mattress and the ground) as the air in the mattress will never warm up and will actually suck the heat from you.. We used foam sleeping pad when we camp in the winter. We also use hand/feet warmers in our sleeping bags. You just need one (or two depending on how warm you like to be) tucked into the very bottom of the sleeping bag to make your sleeping bag toasty.

Also, I have a Eureka Copper Canyon and love it. Our boy scout friends do laugh at it. They call it Karen's Castle as they use very small dome tents for their camping. But if we are at a camp site and not hiking I want comfort. I have never sealed the seams, no need with this brand tent. There is a difference between a quality tent and a walmart tent. We purchased ours from Bill Jackson's in Clearwater, FL. These B&M store do not usually have knowledgable trained staff. To tell you there is no difference between their stuff and Walmart just means they carry cheap stuff in their own opinion.
Thank you for the advice.

When we got the Copper Canyon up I fell in love.

My packing space will be tight but I'm going to definitely bring something to put between the mattresses and the ground and heated mattress pad for DD9 and electric throw to put under our sheet between us and the air mattress.

A miserable camping experience is SO bad and a good one is SO great. Even though I've never had boy scout experience my motto for camping is BE PREPARED.

Old 10-11-2012, 08:15 PM   #25
Tented1
Mouseketeer

I've never owned a "fanny pack" (i sure dont need to draw attention to that area or my waist) but after reading a DIS tip thread I realized we needed them

Found a great waist pack this evening in Wal-Mart with 2 bpa free .5 liter drink bottles and a good sized compartment as well as a smaller size. $9.97 in the camping / sporting good section "Outdoor" brand.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #26
englishteacha
I've just gotten crazier over the years I've taught!

We have a Copper Canyon 1512. Great tent. You'll love your 1312! We also got ours from the outlet. We have a minivan and we fill it to overflowing when we go camping. I can't imagine camping with a Fiesta!

Wonderful trip to Universal, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens, and to see the shuttle launch: February 2011
Walt Disney World: June 2010, August 2007 (1 commando day), June 2006, June 2002
Chasing Roller Coasters: August 2007, 2005, 2004, 2002
englishteacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 10:46 PM   #27
Tented1
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the tent support! I read about the Copper Canyon here on the boards and I'm so glad I found the Eureka outlet! Your tent must be huge!

I never appreciated how easy it was to camp when I could just throw everything in the back of my truck. Camping Fiesta style is certainly a hurdle that will call on our ingenuity. I plan to use space saver type bags for our clothes, pillows, and cover. I know others on the boards have mailed some of their gear to the fort but this would be an avenue of last resort for me.

Old 10-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #28
Tented1
Mouseketeer

HELP ME DECIDE:

I found the roof top carrier I was planning to buy substantially less than what it is direct from the manufacturer. It's on an auction site and is listed as new open box. This would save me about $90

Should I buy it from the auction (buy it now) seller (who has an excellent feedback.rating) or get it from the manufacturer?

Thoughts?

Old 10-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #29
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tented1 View Post
HELP ME DECIDE:

I found the roof top carrier I was planning to buy substantially less than what it is direct from the manufacturer. It's on an auction site and is listed as new open box. This would save me about $90

Should I buy it from the auction (buy it now) seller (who has an excellent feedback.rating) or get it from the manufacturer?

Thoughts?
Buy it now. If you got good pix to see the item online, can verify the condition, and the seller has a good rating, I say go for it.

Some items I would not buy online (just me, I'm sayin') if I can't touch/feel/handle item. Especially those that have a "consumable life" (once you use it up it's gone).

But I have bought used smart phones, etc on ebay with good luck. Things that "don't wear out" can be bought used for substantial savings. I like buying used hardbound books to replace the paperback books I love. The pages turn with no problem.

Bama ED
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182
bama_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #30
Tented1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama_ed

Buy it now. If you got good pix to see the item online, can verify the condition, and the seller has a good rating, I say go for it.

Some items I would not buy online (just me, I'm sayin') if I can't touch/feel/handle item. Especially those that have a "consumable life" (once you use it up it's gone).

But I have bought used smart phones, etc on ebay with good luck. Things that "don't wear out" can be bought used for substantial savings. I like buying used hardbound books to replace the paperback books I love. The pages turn with no problem.

Bama ED
Thanks bama_ed! I'm an ebayer too. I also check out shopping goodwill . com where I got a great Sony digital camera about 3 years ago.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: