Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #451
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Converting 2D friends-in-a-box into 3D friends-for-life

In this 2D box world that we occupy on the Dis, the words that we type are the only tools we have to craft connections with others. If you’re really lucky, your words might strike up a chord with someone else who then posts words in response to your words.

So it has been with me, as it has with many other Dissers….connections are formed, bonds are created and all of a sudden….we’ve become what I call 2D friends-in-a-box.

I don’t know about you; but hanging out with my friends-in-a-box is part of my everyday 3D life now. The friendships I form on the Ethernet are as real to me as they are with my 3D friends. Granted….there is always that stranger danger involved with being on the Net; and there is always the possibility of trolls. But then…..there are no guarantees in real life either.

Nevertheless; since de-lurking and joining the Dis, every time I’ve headed over to the US, a DisMeet or two has always been involved. The two that we’ve got planned (so far) for this trip will take me to 9 DisMeets in the last 2 ½ years.

Why do I DisMeet?

I guess it is always nice to be able to put a face to the on-screen persona and I’ve found that when you do finally meet a Dis-ser in 3D, the conversation just picks up from where we left off on-screen. There doesn’t seem to be all that awkwardness involved when meeting someone and there is always something to talk about and share a laugh with.

On this trip, I will be spending the bulk of my time in SoCal with franandaj. We’ve already had a DisMeet in 2011 and I’m looking forward to firming up the friendship even more on this trip.

The majority of my time on this trip will be spent in NorCal and I have a DisMeet lined up with usnuzulose and ACDSNY for when I'm in San Francisco.

Usnuz and I met in Monterey in 2011 and I’m looking forward to more corn and all the fixin’s with her again.
And this will be the first 3D meet with ACDSNY…so I’m really looking forward to being able to put facial expressions and voice intonations to her typed words!

I am also hoping that mvf-m11c will be able to work out his schedule so that he can come join us for the San Francisco meet. But if it doesn’t work out for this trip, maybe next time!

And you might have noticed that I’ve posted about the DisMeets ahead of my itinerary and plans. I guess it’s a measure of how much I’m looking forward to converting 2D friends-in-a-box to 3D friends-for-life!

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 10:20 PM   #452
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
In this 2D box world that we occupy on the Dis, the words that we type are the only tools we have to craft connections with others. If you’re really lucky, your words might strike up a chord with someone else who then posts words in response to your words.

So it has been with me, as it has with many other Dissers….connections are formed, bonds are created and all of a sudden….we’ve become what I call 2D friends-in-a-box.

And you might have noticed that I’ve posted about the DisMeets ahead of my itinerary and plans. I guess it’s a measure of how much I’m looking forward to converting 2D friends-in-a-box to 3D friends-for-life!

PIO you've hit the nail on the head with this post. When I started on the DIS I never imagined friendships would be a part of DISing, I was usually searching for info for upcoming trips. Now I find myself coming to the DIS to see how everyone is doing and less for trip planning. It's a wonderful community feeling. I'm so looking forward to our DISmeet in SF.

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - Nov 2013 Fantasy EC, Mar 2012 Wonder MR, Nov 2011 Dream B2B, Jan 2011 Wonder Panama Canal, Nov 2009 Wonder Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 04:20 AM   #453
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
PIO you've hit the nail on the head with this post. When I started on the DIS I never imagined friendships would be a part of DISing, I was usually searching for info for upcoming trips. Now I find myself coming to the DIS to see how everyone is doing and less for trip planning. It's a wonderful community feeling. I'm so looking forward to our DISmeet in SF.
Me too.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, Jan 2011 and Nov 2012 Another Mad Dash TR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Old 10-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #454
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
I'm not sure what I expected coming over to the DIS, but certainly never so many friends and meets, so far I've met PIO, ACDSNY, mvf-m11c twice, Unsnuzulooz, Lesahface, and I don't know how many people we got together at the D23 Expo, but at least a dozen!

This will be so much fun!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:47 PM   #455
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
I'm not sure what I expected coming over to the DIS, but certainly never so many friends and meets, so far I've met PIO, ACDSNY, mvf-m11c twice, Unsnuzulooz, Lesahface, and I don't know how many people we got together at the D23 Expo, but at least a dozen!

This will be so much fun!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:15 PM   #456
PrincessInOz
in

About Whatnots and My Travel Plans

“It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a Dis-ser in the midst of preparing for a Disney trip, must be in want of a good plan.”

In order to be considered ‘good’, the plan must, of course, cover the itinerary of each day so that everyone in your travel party will know when restroom breaks have been scheduled in order for them to accommodate around those important times and stick to the schedule. In addition, every detail of what to bring or what not to bring, whether to go commando or laid back should be considered and posted about during the planning period.

Afterall, that’s what you’re all here to read about, right?

For the first part…Sadly for me, my stomach and bladder do not understand the importance of adhering to schedules and I have long given up on this time-honoured tradition of being a Dis-ser with decent planning skills.

That’s not to say that I’m not a good Dis-ser…. I tend to plan, plan, plan the heck out of things before travelling and then go with the flow when on ground. It is nice to have a plan to fall back on but sometimes really is all about the meandering than the destination.

As for the whats and whatnots….everyone has their own preferences but this is what I know about my travel style and what suits me…

(…and don’t mind me…I’m a bit of a stirrer…plus I’ve travelled regularly the last 10 years so I’ve pretty much got my travel routine down pat….)
  • I tend to travel at what others consider commando speed. I can’t really tell if it is commando speed or isn’t. From my perspective, I travel at my pace and given that I’m doing most of this trip solo, I guess the pace will always be right for me.
  • Which bag I take is not as important to me as what I put or don’t put in the bag. For the record, I am not planning on buying a new bag for this trip out. And for those interested, I will have two pieces with me – my camera bag, which I will carry-on; and a check-in luggage piece. However, I cannot say the same for the trip home. To date, I’ve brought home at least one new piece of luggage on every trip to the US I’ve been on for the last 10 years.
  • Similarly for which shoe I wear. For me, it has to be comfortable for the entire day. It would help if it were fashionable as well. For those interested, I’ll probably be taking my walking Sketchers with me…although…. The alternative is the Geox walking shoe that I bought in Hong Kong because the Sketchers got soaked in a downpour. The Sketchers are much more comfortable but the Geox seem to provide much better walking support. It will be one or the other; not both. About the only other footwear I’ll bring along will be my crocs. I can guarantee that I will be shoe shopping and pending an absolute shopping disaster, I fully expect to be bringing more shoes home than I take with me.
  • I’ll be packing layers and will bring clothes in two colour tones….blue and black. I am traditionally a light packer and I doubt that this trip will be any different. My philosophy is simple….bring enough clothes to cover 3 days plus 1 day spare. Just as well that I’ll be the one behind the camera as I have no issue with wearing the same clothes two days in a row! The exclusion to this is underwear and socks. I pack lots! I do normally throw in something decent as well in case we go somewhere fancy for dinner but I figure I might not need to do that on this trip. Afterall, it just means the opportunity to shop for something should I need it.
  • Starting a weight loss and exercise program will remain between me and the WISH sub-forum of the DisBoard. For the record, I’ve tried and dismally failed for every other trip I’ve been on….I do not expect this non-track record to change for this trip.
  • There will be the normal pre-trip shopping to do. Things like travel size shampoo, toiletries, legal-over-the-counter medicinals, camera memory cards and the like. Again, I’ll spare you the details as I’m sure you’re aware that I’ll have this covered as well. Afterall…. if I’ve forgetten something, it’s not as if I can’t run down to a shop of some description in California.
  • There will also be the normal wash and de-fluff involved before the trip. You know…the girly things of waxings, washing the grey out of my hair and the like. Suffice to say, that if my DH doesn’t need to know about these things, I probably won’t be sharing them on this thread either.
  • Of the essentials – valid passport, valid ESTA, legal currency, valid credit card, travel insurance, eTicket, accommodation, car hire, DFAT registration….well….I’ll spare you most of the details. I only have two items out of the essentials left to do and expect that everything will be ticked off in the week before I go.

So, unless something of an unexpected nature happens and I can share a laugh with you over the experience, that about covers my list of WhatNots.

Still….. from experience, I know that franandaj will be asking me to put forward a day by day view of what I’ll be doing….so….Alison….just for you ....

Thursday, 1 November

I’ll be jumping out of my skin on this day. We’ll drop DS off at school and then head to the airport. DH will be dropping me off at the airport and I’ll be checking in for my flight across that pond. I’m currently booked in for standard economy but am giving serious thought to paying the extra $$ for a premium economy seat. Afterall, it’s just me and what DH doesn’t know won’t hurt him (much).

It’s been a while since I’ve travelled by myself but I’ll probably enjoy the feeling of not having to worry about DS or DH and keeping “together” as a group. Conversely, it will be strange to have to be more alert about to-ing and fro-ing around me to make sure I’m aware of stranger dangers.

And for those who like to know….my carry-on will be my camera bag….a functional, not very attractive or fashionable, black bag that will be overstuffed with lenses and my essential documents and purse. I am not planning on taking much more than a notebook to jot thoughts down and will probably pick up some magazines at the airport.

I’ll be arriving in LA on the same day and pending successfully clearing customs, I will be heading to my place of abode for the two nights.

I’m hoping to buy a micro SIM card for my phone, preferably from AT&T because DH still has a working service with them, and connecting to a GoPhone prepaid plan ($2 per day unlimited talk and text option).

franandaj and I will hang out together for as much as possible today. I may well crash!

Friday, 2 November

This is Disneyland day. Park opening hours are 9 – 11 pm for DL and 9 – 9 pm for DCA.

Despite my earlier views, the exception to meandering and going with the flow is when the destination is a theme park. In these cases, I do tend to plan the heck of the day and try to follow it with some precision (bladder and stomach accepting).

I’ll be spending time with franandaj again today….as much as possible….and I have hopes of a fun filled day. Franandaj is as much of a planner as I am (despite what my earlier view may or may not convey) and we’ve already mapped out what we’d like to do for the day.

My must do’s:
  • CarsLand and everything in it
  • Little Mermaid: Ariel’s Undersea Adventure
  • Star Tour v2.0
  • Aladdin
  • World of Colour (there may only be an 8 pm show on this day)

There will be a bunch of rides and attractions that I’d like to see and do; but the above are my must-do hit list. If I’m still awake, I was also wondering about Fantasmic! But it really isn’t necessarily a must-do. I’m also aware that I may well flake out before WoC; so whilst it is on the must do list, I won’t fuss too much if I don’t make it to the show. CarsLand is the priority, so we’ll be hitting that in the morning.

We might wander over to DLR and check out a few rides there and then head back across to DCA for an afternoon showing of Aladdin. It will be nice to put our feet up for a spell or two in the afternoon and see how we feel for a WoC evening.

I’m hoping for good food and if we make it across to DL, I’ll be putting a Dole Whip Float at the top of my list. And some of those Tigger Tails I’ve seen in so many TRs. Otherwise, I’m looking forward to checking out all the new establishments in CarsLand and Buena Vista Street. There looks like some yummy food and yummy stores to take a look at merchandise.

Saturday, 3 November

I’ll be boarding a flight to SFO today. I’m booked on the same flight as DH from LAX to SFO so it will be lovely to catch up with him and find out how the last two days went at home. I wasn’t able to get the seat next to him on this flight but I’m in a seat about 2 rows back from him. No biggie.

DH will have cleared customs at LAX so we normally just walk out of SFO, pick up our bags and then head on out to their automatic trains to the hire cars. We’ll pick up the hire car and go to the nearest Wholefoods to pick up basic groceries.

After that, we will check in to the usual hotel near his work. We normally get a 1-bedroom suite and it is a lovely place to have as a home away from home. The suite includes a full kitchen and there will be hot buffet breakfast included every day. So, we will mostly get nibbles, water, fruit etc from the supermarket.

DH has advised me that he wants to go check out musical instruments after we check-in. Sounds like music to my ears is on the cards.

I suspect DH will crash early; so I’ll just play this day by ear and see how we go.

I am hoping that before DH crashes that we might go have dinner at the Cheesecake Factory. I think DH will feel the same way.

Sunday, 4 November

DH and I both have family in SF. We traditionally reserve this day to catch up with them. I have no idea if they will be free and what we might do.
If they are free, we tend to meet them for a picnic lunch.....and this is probably the only day that DH will have to do a little shopping for himself.

We’ll see what unfolds.

It might be that we head into the downtown area. There is a favourite guitar store in the city that we always go check out. Whilst it is a guitar centre, they have a big range of drums and cymbals. DH will definitely want to check those “bongs and gongs” out.

Monday, 5 November to Thursday, 8 November

There are 4 full days here for me to do as I please. I’m not sure what I’ll be doing on which day but my plans are as follows:

1. Visit the Walt Disney Family Museum and DisMeet with usnuzuloose, ACDSNY and mvf-m11c. I think we’ve locked in a day for this one.

2. A day in downtown SF reacquainting myself with my favourite places and shops. I do like wandering down Union Street (not the square) and also spending time in that tourist trap of Fisherman’s Wharf. If I feel like it, I might jump on a ferry and head across to Sausalito. If not, I’ll spend time looking at shops in the downtown area.

3. Head to Half Moon Bay and drive along PCH1. I think I’ll go seek out a lighthouse or two and the elephant seals this time. And if I hit the right time schedule, I might go to Felton and take a steam train ride through the redwoods.

4. Shopping. This might be spread out over the 5 days. The places I want to go to include Stamford Mall, Hillsdale Mall, Keeble and Shuchat Photography in Palo Alto, Santana Row, Town and Country Village, Milpitas Warehouse Outlets. I probably won’t get to every single one of these shopping places but I’m going to try. I need to buy jeans, shoes, business suits and blouses.

5. Pending time, I’d like to visit a few nature reserves and/or gardens around Silicon Valley. I keep trying to visit the Filoli Gardens…but I’ve never quite made it there. And sadly for me, as I’ll be there in November, I don’t think the Filoli will be opened at this time of year. It’ll have to be another trip.

For the NorCal locals reading this…..if there is anything that you think I should be experiencing during this time, please post and let me know. I’m definitely up for local experiences!

Friday, 9 November

On the 9th, we will be flying back home. I guess I’ll be packing and will have to keep myself in the area. I still expect to have the entire day to myself and will just see how I feel as to what to do on this day.

When I go pick up DH from work in the late afternoon, we will most likely grab a shower at his workplace before we leave. And we will probably also stop by Wholefoods for a light soup dinner before making our way to the airport. I’ve booked seats next to DH; so we’ll be able to reminisce over this trip together on the way home.

Our flight back is via Sydney…and as we cross the international dateline, we will arrive back home on Sunday, 11 November.

It will be lovely to see DS and the furbabies again!

And I KNOW I will crash early on Sunday night.

That’s about it for my known itinerary for this trip. We’ll just have to wait to see if the reality matches up to the plans when I start the TR.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:07 PM   #457
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

Thanks for the plans! I'm a very linear person and it helps me to wrap my head around the whole thing! Once you leave, you can do what you want in any order. I just like to have my part figured out!

And of course we can throw the whole plan out the window, like if RSR goes down that morning.

Also keep in mind that there are Magic Mornings at DCA the morning we are there, even if you aren't a hotel guest, they let everyone into the park to start queueing up for the RSR FPs. We should probably ask on the DL boards about a week prior if they still have the crazy lines like they did last summer.

I'm hoping before you crash that my Shabu shabu place will have opened and we can go out and enjoy a nice meal there. If not there are tons of other great places we can enjoy.

As for Nothern Cal, one place I particularly enjoy is visiting the Ridge Winery in Cupertino. I like to go there for the wine tasting, but also the spectacular view of the South Bay. I don't have any pictures to post, but it's also a nice drive up the mountain...

Your plans sound great and you'll have a nice week unwinding from all the stress of work and your daily routine!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:30 PM   #458
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

Of course, I am last to get in the PTR! Better late than never! Everything sounds good so far!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:50 PM   #459
usnuzuloose

Loosing Doomed Boo Boo

I am so excited to see you again. I am sure we will all have a great time!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #460
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

The pre-trip report looks good. Can't wait to meet you and the rest of the DISers that day.

The New 2nd All in One Disneyland TR Thread

A Fantasmic Summer at the DLR with my Aunt - June 23 - 25, 2014, Going Back Down South with Bro and his Girl - July 26 - 28, 2014, Just in Time for Halloween Season in September - September 14 - 16, 2014

Pictures of my Trip to the DLR on July 26th to 28th, 2014

Videos of my Disney Trips on Youtube
mvf-m11c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:17 PM   #461
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

I think with only 1 real day at DLR you definitely a short must-do list. Yours looks great and is also along the same lines mine would be Will be interesting to see how you go on your own. I'm on my own from Paris to Melbourne via HK for 2 nights, and I'm kind of excited and kind of terrified

I'm really looking forward to reading the SF part of your TR. Especially the Walt Disney Family Museum, and Suasalito if you go there. It looked so pretty, but with only 2 days in SF we didn't get a chance to go.

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Aug/Sep 2014 DLR Half Marathon Weekend (DI&S & Portofino) PTR - 2015 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:14 AM   #462
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

What a fun trip you've got planned. I've only read your itinerary page so far. I agree that with a day at DL/DCA your must dos sound totally doable.

I've got a friend who lives in SF who writes a really cool blog appropriately named: the Disney project. His name is Keith. You should check it out.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 04:15 PM   #463
PrincessInOz
in

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
Thanks for the plans! I'm a very linear person and it helps me to wrap my head around the whole thing! Once you leave, you can do what you want in any order. I just like to have my part figured out!

And of course we can throw the whole plan out the window, like if RSR goes down that morning.

Also keep in mind that there are Magic Mornings at DCA the morning we are there, even if you aren't a hotel guest, they let everyone into the park to start queueing up for the RSR FPs. We should probably ask on the DL boards about a week prior if they still have the crazy lines like they did last summer.

I'm hoping before you crash that my Shabu shabu place will have opened and we can go out and enjoy a nice meal there. If not there are tons of other great places we can enjoy.

As for Nothern Cal, one place I particularly enjoy is visiting the Ridge Winery in Cupertino. I like to go there for the wine tasting, but also the spectacular view of the South Bay. I don't have any pictures to post, but it's also a nice drive up the mountain...

Your plans sound great and you'll have a nice week unwinding from all the stress of work and your daily routine!
I'll remember to stay flexible with CarsLand. Completely forgot that RSR does break down.

And I'll check out Ridge Winery on the internet. Might be someplace to head towards....

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
Of course, I am last to get in the PTR! Better late than never! Everything sounds good so far!
The main thing is....You made it! Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnuzuloose View Post
I am so excited to see you again. I am sure we will all have a great time!
I am counting on us having a great time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvf-m11c View Post
The pre-trip report looks good. Can't wait to meet you and the rest of the DISers that day.
It promises to be a fun day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanzibar138 View Post
I think with only 1 real day at DLR you definitely a short must-do list. Yours looks great and is also along the same lines mine would be Will be interesting to see how you go on your own. I'm on my own from Paris to Melbourne via HK for 2 nights, and I'm kind of excited and kind of terrified

I'm really looking forward to reading the SF part of your TR. Especially the Walt Disney Family Museum, and Suasalito if you go there. It looked so
pretty, but with only 2 days in SF we didn't get a chance to go.
I'll keep this in mind. Not sure how much sight seeing I'll do around SF...but I'll find out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
What a fun trip you've got planned. I've only read your itinerary page so far. I agree that with a day at DL/DCA your must dos sound totally doable.

I've got a friend who lives in SF who writes a really cool blog appropriately named: the Disney project. His name is Keith. You should check it out.

Thanks for stopping by!

I'll check out the blog. And if you've read the itinerary page, you're pretty much all caught up on this trip.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:24 AM   #464
PrincessInOz
in

The Double Waa-aah Mummy

So I guess I should mention that one member of the family that is being left behind. Afterall, were such bad parents&.we get to go on this trip together and live it up&.like the days B.C. (before child), right?

What on earth is DS12 going to be doing and how can we be leaving him home alone?

Before anyone calls the Child Protection Agencies; consider this.
This is definitely a case of Waa-aah Mummy....or more appropriately....Mummy goes Waa-aah!

The First Waa-aah Mummy

When we....er....I was first planning the tag-along, I did ask DS if he wanted to go. Afterall, the week of the Melbourne Cup is traditionally one where most of the schools try to wrangle the Monday before the Tuesday Cup Day public holiday as a curriculum day or a student free day or a training day. Yes&.it becomes a 4-day weekend&.for the students.

And because everyone is so worn out from the weekend schedule, the rest of the week is pretty much laid back and not much happens.

I told DS what I was thinking and to my surprise......He. Did. Not. Want. To. Go.

Let me repeat that again....DS, who is 12, and completely capable of making his own decisions.

He. Did. Not. Want. To. Go.

His excuse...er.....reason? "I dont want to miss out on school!!!!!"
(Translation = I want to stay home and have a long weekend playing on the computer and skyping with my friends!)

Waa-aah (went) Mummy!

The Second Waa-aah Mummy

Completely lured by CarsLand and with Lightning in my eyes, I booked the trip to fly out a couple of days earlier than DH so that I could sneak in one day at DLR to check out the newish Land.

Well..... I didnt check the social calendar when I was planning this trip. So. Unlike. Me.

DS has a school production that he is appearing in during that two day layover Im having in LA.
Im going to be missing out on him being on stage. I'll be trading the opportunity to see him tripping the Light Fantastic on the Boards with me tripping to see Lightning McQueen!

Waa-aah (went) Mummy!

DS reaction? Thats okay Mum. Dad will be there.

Ouch! Double Waa-aah-me Mummy! And Game, Set and Match to DS!

I don't think that DS will be getting a souvenir from DL. Do you?

p.s. For the record, DS will be living it up at home. Turns out that he conned...er....sweet talked one of the grandoldies to come and stay here with him. We will make up the spare bed and he gets to maintain his routine....and internet!

Last edited by PrincessInOz; 10-10-2012 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Typo's...and corrections!
Old 10-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #465
PrincessInOz
in

The Three-legged Dilemma

I’ve been wrestling with a little dilemma for the last few days and am hoping that those of you reading this (or lurking) will help me by providing your input and viewpoint.

My dilemma goes like this:

I want to travel light on this trip and had already decided to leave my tripod at home. Afterall, I am heading to San Francisco for most of this trip and do not anticipate needing that three-legged pole in the bay city.

I had weighed this up in light of the fact that I will have one day at DLR….one day….and whilst I anticipate being awake enough to last for World of Colour, there really isn’t any guarantees of this. And I don’t believe that you’re not allowed to set up a tripod at the WoC viewing site anyway.

It really is a short mad dash to DL this trip and I am planning on heading back to DLR in Sep 2013 and will be spending at least 2 days/nights in the parks. I had originally thought this would be the better time to bring the tripod for night shots.

The flaw in my decision making?

I had completely forgotten that CarsLand is beautifully lit up at night. Plus, if you’ve been hanging out on I’m Mikey’s TR, you will have seen the how gorgeous a long exposure shot can be in CarsLand. Whilst I don't claim to be able to get as gorgeous shots as I'm Mikey, it might be nice to be able to have the opportunity to try!

So…..do I bring my tripod for potentially one night’s shooting? Or do I leave it behind?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: