Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #301
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

We have another home game tonight and the band will be marching in the NYC Pulaski Day parade on Sunday. Weather: high of 56 with rain. Last week they marched in the local Hispanic Day parade. At 1 p.m., at step off, the skies opened up. Seems like it's going to be a long, wet parade season. For our first competition we did okay. Won our division because we were the only team in our division. Not the way you want to win. Our State championships are the weekend of November 3-4. Can't wait to see the band at Rutgers stadium! Hope it all goes well. The color guard's routines still aren't finished yet. They're working on the last song. Their coach also coaches another school, which understandably, is her first priority, so she's not always at practice.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:57 AM   #302
piperdown
Mouseketeer

Saturday is our first competition of the season. They still haven’t perfected the 3rd movement. DD says they’re performing a slightly shortened program this Saturday. She’s in the pit, xylophone and marimba. Her fingers have been covered in band aids from blisters from playing with four mallets, but she loves every minute of it.

Really looking forward to tomorrow. It will be my first time to see the mostly complete program. Because of rain and a bye week, they haven’t performed at a game in three weeks.

piperdown is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 10:26 AM   #303
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsklamc View Post
That sounds like BOA scoring, and their adjudication handbook (available on their website) says something about the Criteria Reference System, so maybe?
It's not BOA specific. This was for an independent band festival hosted by one of the area's big high schools. I think there's at least one other competition we go to that uses that system, as does Music in the Parks if I remember correctly.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:29 AM   #304
mrsklamc
I apologize in advance, but what is a click clack?

Yes, I'm aware that it's not BOA specific. They just use the name "Criteria Reference System" in their handbook so perhaps that's the name of the judging system.
mrsklamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #305
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked

Just went to an away game lat night. The opposing team's band is a "Show Band" and really put on quite the show in the stands and on the field, full of trashy bumping and grinding, pelvic thrusts etc. The girl's in guard and the dance team wore gold hot pants and looked like they were trying out to dance in rap videos. Our kids were like, What the....
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:55 AM   #306
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pembo View Post
jen - We have 3 twirlers and they are AMAZING!!!! Last week they were featured in a song and twirled 3 fire batons, each! Our advisor is a world-champion and we all love to watch him twirl too.

Game tonight and rain is predicted...
Competition tomorrow but rain only in the morning, so we should be good by 4:30 when we march but it is supposed to be cold. It was 76 yesterday and a high of only 50 tomorrow. Brr...

Have fun and good luck to everyone this weekend....
I love twirlers. They can bring something different to a show that a CG girl who learns how to use a rifle/saber, just can't do. Finding a band that marchs ISSMA here and has a twirler is not going to happen. When we were down at Hamilton 2 weeks ago, there was a band with a twirler, but they were a Mid-States band.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #307
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

We have a home game tonight and a Contest at Broken Arrow, OK tomorrow! Tomorrow its supposed to be a high of 53! Today I purchased new clothes to keep my Tuba Dudes warm!

Last week the judges said they didn't understand our show. So this week my boys tell me they SPELL it out via voice over! I hope its not too bad, but they make it sound like it perhaps insults the audiences intelligence! Making me nervous!

The good news is, DS15, who is a shadow, was chosen over his partner to march in the Contest! His partner will march tonight at the Football game. He's a happy dude!

Worked the concession stand at JV games last night. Sold gallons and gallons of Hot Chocolate! I'm sure tonight will be the same.

Good luck to all this weekend!
Old 10-05-2012, 02:02 PM   #308
jen0610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy Belle View Post
We have a home game tonight and a Contest at Broken Arrow, OK tomorrow! Tomorrow its supposed to be a high of 53! Today I purchased new clothes to keep my Tuba Dudes warm!
Last week the judges said they didn't understand our show. So this week my boys tell me they SPELL it out via voice over! I hope its not too bad, but they make it sound like it perhaps insults the audiences intelligence! Making me nervous!

The good news is, DS15, who is a shadow, was chosen over his partner to march in the Contest! His partner will march tonight at the Football game. He's a happy dude!

Worked the concession stand at JV games last night. Sold gallons and gallons of Hot Chocolate! I'm sure tonight will be the same.

Good luck to all this weekend!
I tried to talk DD into letting my get her a pair of UnderArmor pants, but she said no. She wears a pair of black tights under her costume. But it doesn't do a thing to cover her arms or open back on the outfit. It's only going to be 48 degrees out by the start of the game. I did tell her last night that she needed to make sure she packed not only her windsuit, but also a sweatshirt, her orange gloves and her brown/white/orange scarf. Once they get done with halftime, if they make them stay, she can put everything but the wind pants on. I will also be dropping a blanket off with dinner, that they can sit on.
jen0610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #309
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen0610 View Post
I tried to talk DD into letting my get her a pair of UnderArmor pants, but she said no. She wears a pair of black tights under her costume. But it doesn't do a thing to cover her arms or open back on the outfit. It's only going to be 48 degrees out by the start of the game. I did tell her last night that she needed to make sure she packed not only her windsuit, but also a sweatshirt, her orange gloves and her brown/white/orange scarf. Once they get done with halftime, if they make them stay, she can put everything but the wind pants on. I will also be dropping a blanket off with dinner, that they can sit on.
I went and bought my DD Under Armor pants and two different Under Armor shirts, a v-neck and a mock turtle neck which is SUPER warm. Got them from Modells Sporting Goods (not sure if you have one near you) but they seem to have great prices and big selection in sizes and colors.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #310
hanutedmansionmomma
DIS Veteran

I PM'd you Katy Belle- maybe we could meet up over a warm drink at Broken Arrow today!
hanutedmansionmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #311
Katy Belle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanutedmansionmomma View Post
I PM'd you Katy Belle- maybe we could meet up over a warm drink at Broken Arrow today!
PM'd you back! I hope we can meet!

Our electronics STILL are not working right. I'm nervous about the Contest today! And I about froze my tail off last night! Off to pack up warm clothes and head to Broken Arrow!

Good Luck to all the Bands! GO BAND
Old 10-06-2012, 08:44 AM   #312
marcyinPA
I'll never forget the strong, pungent smell of Noxema!
I was such a fashion disaster!!

Away game for us tonight. Not sure if we are going- it depends on the weather. They are calling for showers tonight- but with the accuracy of the weather reports lately, who knows?! Maybe our football team will win this one? Yikes! But, at least the band is consistent- they are always awesome!!

We were supposed to march in a parade this past Wednesday, about an hour and a half from home, but the weather was iffy so the band canceled out. No way do they want those expensive imported wool uniforms getting wet. Strangely enough, this is the 4th year in a row that they've canceled out. Every single stinking time it has rained.

We have a parade next Saturday for the community/homecoming where I went to college. That's also about an hour and a half away. I have no idea why we get invited to these things (well, aside from the fact that we are really good ). I think my DH and I are going to try to go- but that means leaving home after we drop DS off at the school at 6:30 am. Of course, my DS13 has a local parade that day with the middle school band- so my mom will have to be on call for that one. So much going on!!

Have a great competition week, band friends!
6/08- We're Cruisin' (NCL
Spirit) for my BIG 4-0!,
6/09- WL (celebrating my birthday with Mickey!)
,2/11- POP
marcyinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #313
Pembo
OH-IO

Competition yesterday...we got a Superior rating...however we came in 2nd place to the Medina Bees. The lady behind me said we need to bring our insect spray next year. lol

The Bees have 245 marchers and always seem to beat us.

Yesterday was a high of 50 and no rain. Friday and today are rainy. We got lucky.

How did everyone do????
Old 10-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #314
Priorityonecb
DIS Veteran

We won first place in all catagories in our class last night!!! So proud of our kids!
Priorityonecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:36 PM   #315
lovegrumpy
DIS Veteran

We got first place. We were all surprised!! They kids did awesome last night.
HHI 2014

ME/DH/DS18/DS17
Or,Wa,FLx2,Ia,Cali,DC,Va
Been married to my Coastie for 18 years
Dh,Me,Ds 18,Ds 17

lovegrumpy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: