Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 07:03 PM   #16
iluveeyore
DVC Member - Disney is my second home!
 
iluveeyore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Fort Erie, Ontario
Posts: 2,376

I loved both of my solo trips and wish I could do one every year - unfortunately, my budget hasn't allowed for it lately because my hubby loves Disney as much as I do and wants to come with me all the time.

To answer your questions:

How manys days do you make your trip for? My first was only 4 nights, felt way too short, so my second was a full week (7 nights) - perfect amount of time for me.


Do you feel like you are odd or wierd at all by doing a solo? Never! Even when I travel with family/friends, I always spend at least one part of a day wandering alone, so it doesn't feel odd to me at all. I think when you are truly solo, most people think you are just spending some time away from family anyhow, that they are somewhere nearby.

Do you ever get that loney feeling and feel like your missing out on something not being with friends or family? Never - I have been with the family enough to appreciate the wonders of being solo - not having to ask everyone what they want to do that day, where they want to eat, what time they want to leave, etc., etc. I can get up and use the shower/bathroom whenever I like without waiting in my room - I can choose which park I want to go to while walking to the bus stop with no pre-planning or debating. And with internet in the room, I am only an email/Facebook message away from my family.


Will you choose more counter service meals then table service meals because your doing a solo or it really doesn't matter to you? I found I didn't mind the couple of table meals I had alone - talked to the CMs and caught up on my journal, but I found I enjoyed counter service more just because of the convenience of choosing what I wanted to eat whenever and wherever I happened to be when I was hungry. I liked not having reservations and just flying by the seat of my pants - I found I tried more places in the parks this way because it was just me and I didn't have anyone with me to complain about my choices.


I always had someone taking pictures of me with character photos, would you recommend Photo pass for me as good option? I never used Photopass, and I have tons of character pics from my solo - the CMs at every character spot would gladly take a pic with my own camera when they saw I was alone.

When staying there solo, will you look to stay at a more reasonable priced resort at Disney or it doesn't really matter to you?
I am a DVC member, and although I would have loved to stay at a studio, I wanted to save points for our family trips when we need more space and kitchen amenities to save on eating out. Being alone, the cost of eating out didn't matter to me, and my value resort room felt huge when I wasn't sharing storage or sleeping and bathroom space with anyone else. It was a total luxury just to have a room to myself. I enjoyed Pop the best, because I requested a lake side room away from all the hub bub in the Lady and the Tramp section. I really wasn't in my room that much anyhow.

And having a park hopper is priceless - you can go to whatever park has early extra magic hours in the morning, and then hop over and stay at whatever one is open late at night. AK always closes early, so it was nice to spend a day there and then after resting in my room, heading out to MK to enjoy the fireworks and stroll around the park afterwards alone until the crowds left the park. It is also unbelievably awesome to not worry about losing your loved ones in the crowds at parades/fireworks etc, as you don't have to make room or keep track of anyone else at all!
__________________
iluveeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #17
dawnhaze
DIS Veteran
 
dawnhaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York
Posts: 1,712

I do a lot of things alone - theme parks, movies, dinners in restaurants - on a regular basis, so traveling to Disney alone isn't a big deal for me personally. I've only done one solo WDW trip so far (5 days this past August) but I have three more planned, plus a cruise.

I like to stay in touch with family and friends using texting, Facebook, and Twitter. I edit and post pictures while I'm on vacation so I feel like I'm sharing my trip with people who aren't with me. It helps prevent me from feeling lonely, plus it gives me some stuff to do during downtime. I also keep a trip journal on my phone.

I'll have Photopass+ for my long (10-day) January trip with a character meal every day, but I didn't use Photopass at all when I went in August. I got plenty of pictures of myself using my phone, and a few where I asked CMs to take them for me with it. (My phone is really my trip companion!)

I enjoy eating TS meals by myself and I found the CMs to be very friendly and attentive, even though I was alone. I make sure to tip well and try to be a quick table for them, so they can keep their turnover going. Eating alone means I can eat wherever I want, and I can eat at my own pace with nobody rushing me or holding me up.

All my planned trips are in Value resorts because I've never seen the point in expensive hotel rooms. For me, a hotel room is a place to sleep, shower, and leave my stuff. As long as it's clean, functional, and safe, I'm all good. This is a matter of opinion, of course. Even if I was with someone else I'd still argue to stay Value.
__________________
Aug '12 (All Star Sports), Oct '12 (All Star Music), Jan '13 (Art of Animation), Oct '13 (Pop Century), Aug '14 (All Star Music)

(Exact trip dates a work-in-progress!)
dawnhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-03-2012, 08:18 PM   #18
PHLtoMCO
Disboards helps me cut back on Facebook.
 
PHLtoMCO's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Philadelphia, Pa
Posts: 1,070

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneyandphilliesfan View Post
Where in Philly are you from?
I live in Upper Darby Township. You??
__________________
1989-Poly, 1990-Big Red Boat/Poly, 1992-Poly, 1993-BC, 1995-Poly, 1996-BC, 1997-Poly, 1999-Poly, 2001-BWI, 2003-Poly, 2005-Poly, 2006-Poly/Sports, 2007-BWV, 2008-POP, 2009-ASM, 2010-BWV, 2011-Poly, 2012-BCV/POP, 2012-Poly, 2013-POP, 2013-AKL, 2013-BLT, 2014-POP,
2014-POP,


runDisney races - ToT 13k, ToT 10 miler, EEC, PHM, Enchanted 10k, GSC, Coast2Coast, next up....Avengers Half Marathon!
PHLtoMCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #19
canopynut66
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,294

several yearas ago went for week solo and was so nice and relaxing. did not have to worry about anyone but me. went when and where wanted to and ate when ever. was able to ride anything that wanted to and into any show... had time to just browse the shops at my pace. wonderful trip..I am not a huge fan of eating alone but even that went fine.
canopynut66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:45 PM   #20
captaindavidhook
Stay away from there
 
captaindavidhook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 534

I can't say it enough but thank you all for the great feedback. Everything you are saying I am taking into account. Another thing I totally forgot, that I could do is maybe make some new friends there. Meet some people from dis who live there or are on vacation at the same time. So, in a way I could share a meal with someone as well as the rides and attractions.
captaindavidhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #21
SiAmCrAzY
Mouseketeer
 
SiAmCrAzY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Washington
Posts: 381

WDW Solo is a completely different experience. For me, I tend to notice more. Spend more time enjoying the music and smelling the flowers so to speak without the distraction of family or friends. My first solo was an accident and now I am hooked.

My first solo was 12 days ( away to long unless you plan on meeting up with friends) I leave next week for 11 days BUT I will be meeting up with friends throughout my trip. Friends, who I in fact met on previous solo trips that to me is the best of both worlds.

I did feel a little weird on the first trip. But I got over it really quick as soon as I realized you are never truly alone in WDW.

Counter service or Table- depends on what I am in the mood for. I will say this I get EXCELLENT service when dining solo. I have had some wonderful conversations with cast members on solo trips

I love photo pass! And have used it every solo trip. Why should memories be preserved for groups only?

I have stayed at both ends. I love pop. But during Food & Wine the closer to Epcot the better! Just depends on what I can afford.

I hope you go and have an amazing solo adventure! You never know who you might meet, or what you may see for the first time.
__________________
Hello my name is Lindsay, and I am a Disney addict. I have been pixie dust free for a few day's now, but I see a relapse in my near future.
DH ME Oscar Calvin
SiAmCrAzY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #22
DakotaRose
Mouseketeer
 
DakotaRose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: South Dakota
Posts: 483

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaindavidhook View Post
I have been tinkering with the ideal of doing a solo trip in the next few months. I have asked some people, for thier advice as far the pros and cons of doing a solo. The more I think of it, the more I am intrigued about making it happen. I have some questions I would like to ask some of the people on here that have done a solo trip before, so here goes:


How manys days do you make your trip for? Have only been there once and it was a solo trip, 7 days.

Do you feel like you are odd or wierd at all by doing a solo? No. Most people are so engrossed in their groups and getting to the next thing that I never felt like I stood out. I enjoyed the quiet of being on my own, that is, not having to entertain someone or make decisions as a group. I could do as much or as little as I pleased, and enjoy a few shows and rides multiple times without wrecking someone else's plans. I took a few minutes each day to find a pleasant spot and just sit and read. Going solo is very relaxing and a great way to recharge.
As for being alone, you won't be. There are people everywhere except in your room or in the pool at early or late hours. Every single day I had nice visits with someone...or a family or a group of friends traveling together. One group of women at my resort were so charming -- they invited me to have breakfast with them each day while I was there. I even met a lovely new friend from New Jersey (and fellow DISer) for breakfast and Soarin' one morning.


Do you ever get that loney feeling and feel like your missing out on something not being with friends or family? No. Days in the park are busy and distracting from life in the rest of the world. My family and friends texted and called, so I wasn't cut off from what was going on.


Will you choose more counter service meals then table service meals because your doing a solo or it really doesn't matter to you? No. For me a good meal is another attraction to take in. I chose a couple of CS meals for convenience, but mostly had TS because I like the food and the air conditioned down time they provide. Most of the time I was given a nice table by a window, or on the restaurant's perimeter. Only twice was I seated in the middle of a busy restaurant with tables a foot away on either side. That was a little wierd, sitting there while people discussed their families or co-workers right next to me, so I took out my book or my iPod and didn't have to listen to them.

I always had someone taking pictures of me with character photos, would you recommend Photo pass for me as good option? Yes. However, I didn't seek out characters as it can take up too much time, and I'm more interested in other things. Remy stopped by my table at lunch one day, though (Chefs de France)! It's also very easy to offer to take a picture for a family or couple. They are usually quite happy to reciprocate. Sometimes I would just approach someone and ask if they would take my picture, and was always given a friendly response.

When staying there solo, will you look to stay at a more reasonable priced resort at Disney or it doesn't really matter to you? I just chose a resort that appealed to me with the amenities I thought I would use and like.


Sorry for all the questions, I just hope someone can help fill in the blanks for me and give me some answers on thier previous experiences doing a solo. Also just a side note, let me know if you did a solo, how much did you enjoy it or not. Thanks in advance and any advice you could throw my way in helping me, is very much welcomed.
I enjoyed my trip very much and booked a bounceback for next year. There are a few family members and friends who would really like to go with me next time, but I might just go solo again. I do a lot for my family and others, so it's OK to have a week for myself.
__________________
DakotaRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:20 PM   #23
HugsForEeyore
Heck with the rides, give me some rare characters!
Oh well, not much we can do - the onion already took over the world
 
HugsForEeyore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Morristown, NJ
Posts: 4,379

Arrow Solo is OK but I always have awkward times

I done many solo trips, and while I do overall enjoy them, I find there are many awkward moments that always occur. I really have to go with the right frame of mind, and be very aware of things so I don't get into situations where I know I will be frustrated and embarrassed.

How manys days do you make your trip for?
I usually go around 7 days.

Do you feel like you are odd or wierd at all by doing a solo?
Yes I do sometimes. Other posters here mention how others guests never pay any attention to solos since they are wrapped up in their own lives. There is a flip side to that - I often feel completely invisible and ignored. How many times have people just walked right by me in a line, or ran around me in a character line when it was my turn to meet the characters, or even CMs who simply look right around me and put the people behind me on the ride next. It happens over and over again - being ignored. I have to be very diligent to try to minimize that - basically being very aware of the people around me (aka big noisy family groups are more likely to walk right around you), or make sure I stand in line with my feet apart with my backpack partially blocking the path so no one passes me in line.

Do you ever get that loney feeling and feel like your missing out on something not being with friends or family?
Yes sometimes. Trips are way better with family or friends, but no one will go anymore (unless I pay their entire way), so it's solo or nothing.

Will you choose more counter service meals then table service meals because your doing a solo or it really doesn't matter to you?
I only do counter serve now. I had enough awkward table restaurants to make me not want to bother anymore. Some table restaurants don't know what to do with you or where to put you. Like they don't want to waste a table on you. Or being placed too close to others is just so uncomfortable when alone. Just don't want to deal with it anymore.

I always had someone taking pictures of me with character photos, would you recommend Photo pass for me as good option?
I find character photos very difficult solo - I sometimes get CMs who think I am with the people behind me so they wave them up instead of me. I like character lines that are well managed like Epcot's Character Spot.

When staying there solo, will you look to stay at a more reasonable priced resort at Disney or it doesn't really matter to you?
I have stayed everywhere, usually more depends on my budget at the time. I rather stay with interior corridors, but most recently stayed at CBR and loved it.

It seems all the other solos here have a great time with hardly any issues due to your "soloness" but I have had many frustrating moments over the years. So basically nowadays when I go to Disney, I pick schedules/activities that minimize the frustrations. I usually head to the parks after noon (less crowded buses, no fighting for seats or to get through the door); I love doing bike riding and boat rentals instead of parks on some days; I swim late in the evening when less crowded; I eat at slightly off times to avoid crowds. All helps the awkwardness/invisible feeling.

Even though I am quite negative here, I hope to go solo again - I just have to go prepared and avoid the bad situations. Glad to see everyone else doesn't seem to have the issues I had over the years!
__________________
No more trips planned. Done.
HugsForEeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:36 AM   #24
stindall
Congress Tart
 
stindall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,492

I'm right there with you. I was originally planning a solo trip but then I talked my husband into going with me if I paid for all of it. Then he decided he didn't want to go so I tried to get my brother to go but he's already planning another trip with my Mom. So now I'm more than likely going solo unless I can find someone else to go. As a fellow potential first time solo goer I thought I might share my plans too.

How many days do you make your trip for?:
I'm planning on 7 (including arrival day and departure day) which is what I usually do with others as well. I'd like one day for each park and then a few others to hit up the parks again.

Do you feel like you are odd or weird at all by doing a solo?:
Of course I think I will but it's also something I've never done and most people feel weird doing anything for the first time.

Do you ever get that lonely feeling and feel like you're missing out on something not being with friends or family?
I can't answer this for sure but I know I probably will; but that's normal and not something I'm going to let get me down.

Will you choose more counter service meals then table service meals because your doing a solo or it really doesn't matter to you?
I plan on doing quick service. I don't understand how people say that table service is less lonely than quick service. I'll get a chance to relax for a few minutes, but not too long. I can look over my photos and take in the scenery without wasting too much time. Also gives you the chance to walk around and eat.

I always had someone taking pictures of me with character photos, would you recommend Photo pass for me as good option?
I don't do character photos with a group so I can't imagine doing it alone BUT I've been tossing around Photopass+. I know PP photographers will take photos with your own camera but my experience with that is not great so I'll more than likely get Photopass just to make it easier.

When staying there solo, will you look to stay at a more reasonable priced resort at Disney or it doesn't really matter to you?
Was originally planning a stay at Port Orleans Riverside but I'm downgrading to a value (probably Art of Animation Little Mermaid). I'm the kind of person who doesn't really care what hotel we're at because it's just a place to sleep, change clothes and shower so saving money on that is a big DO! Of course if you want to relax at a hotel and get pampered a moderate or deluxe might be for you.

It might help for you to plan to do a tour, some of them are more affordable than others. I don't know if you already pin trade but that's something I'm looking into doing. It'll give me a reason to interact with others and get some souvenirs as well!
__________________

Oh god there's the yeti! - The Trip Report!.

- Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop - Dec. 2009 surprise for dad @ Pop -
Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop
- Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop!- Aug. 2015 DL @ Stanford Inn & Suites -






stindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #25
captaindavidhook
Stay away from there
 
captaindavidhook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by stindall View Post
I'm right there with you. I was originally planning a solo trip but then I talked my husband into going with me if I paid for all of it. Then he decided he didn't want to go so I tried to get my brother to go but he's already planning another trip with my Mom. So now I'm more than likely going solo unless I can find someone else to go. As a fellow potential first time solo goer I thought I might share my plans too.

How many days do you make your trip for?:
I'm planning on 7 (including arrival day and departure day) which is what I usually do with others as well. I'd like one day for each park and then a few others to hit up the parks again.

Do you feel like you are odd or weird at all by doing a solo?:
Of course I think I will but it's also something I've never done and most people feel weird doing anything for the first time.

Do you ever get that lonely feeling and feel like you're missing out on something not being with friends or family?
I can't answer this for sure but I know I probably will; but that's normal and not something I'm going to let get me down.

Will you choose more counter service meals then table service meals because your doing a solo or it really doesn't matter to you?
I plan on doing quick service. I don't understand how people say that table service is less lonely than quick service. I'll get a chance to relax for a few minutes, but not too long. I can look over my photos and take in the scenery without wasting too much time. Also gives you the chance to walk around and eat.

I always had someone taking pictures of me with character photos, would you recommend Photo pass for me as good option?
I don't do character photos with a group so I can't imagine doing it alone BUT I've been tossing around Photopass+. I know PP photographers will take photos with your own camera but my experience with that is not great so I'll more than likely get Photopass just to make it easier.

When staying there solo, will you look to stay at a more reasonable priced resort at Disney or it doesn't really matter to you?
Was originally planning a stay at Port Orleans Riverside but I'm downgrading to a value (probably Art of Animation Little Mermaid). I'm the kind of person who doesn't really care what hotel we're at because it's just a place to sleep, change clothes and shower so saving money on that is a big DO! Of course if you want to relax at a hotel and get pampered a moderate or deluxe might be for you.

It might help for you to plan to do a tour, some of them are more affordable than others. I don't know if you already pin trade but that's something I'm looking into doing. It'll give me a reason to interact with others and get some souvenirs as well!

I was looking into doing a tour or too. I will excited and nervous about the possibility of doing this. It would be fun but like you say, there will be a little wierdness that goes along with it. If I could maybe meet up with some people for meals or just some parks, that would make it much more manageable.
captaindavidhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #26
stindall
Congress Tart
 
stindall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 1,492

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaindavidhook View Post
I was looking into doing a tour or too. I will excited and nervous about the possibility of doing this. It would be fun but like you say, there will be a little wierdness that goes along with it. If I could maybe meet up with some people for meals or just some parks, that would make it much more manageable.
That's a great idea. I know people on DIS often post threads asking if anyone is going to be down there at the same time. I'm hoping to meet up with at least one friend I have in Florida whom I met online a year or so ago. I've heard good things about the Segway tour and the Keys to the Kingdom tour, but I've never heard bad things about any other the other tours either haha
__________________

Oh god there's the yeti! - The Trip Report!.

- Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop - Dec. 2009 surprise for dad @ Pop -
Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop
- Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop!- Aug. 2015 DL @ Stanford Inn & Suites -






stindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:32 AM   #27
captaindavidhook
Stay away from there
 
captaindavidhook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by stindall View Post
That's a great idea. I know people on DIS often post threads asking if anyone is going to be down there at the same time. I'm hoping to meet up with at least one friend I have in Florida whom I met online a year or so ago. I've heard good things about the Segway tour and the Keys to the Kingdom tour, but I've never heard bad things about any other the other tours either haha
I like the ideal of doing what I want but in the end, I would want some company as well. Would be a nice mix. Everytime I went, I went with family and it was always fun. I think this time would be fun, just hoping to capitalize on making some new friends.
captaindavidhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:42 AM   #28
karly05
DIS Veteran
 
karly05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: I am here with the Bird
Posts: 1,737

I made my first solo trip in February of this year and loved it! I do generally enjoy doing things on my own, however.

How manys days do you make your trip for?
I stayed 5 nights, so I had 4 full days plus late afternoon/evening on my arrival day. I wanted to be sure I could start one morning at each park.

Do you feel like you are odd or wierd at all by doing a solo?
Not really; it was surprising how quickly I got comfortable with it. CMs were all nice and I never ran into anyone who made me feel weird about it.

Do you ever get that loney feeling and feel like your missing out on something not being with friends or family?
I didn't get lonely, but I did text my sister from the parks sometimes, and called her on the phone each night.

Will you choose more counter service meals then table service meals because your doing a solo or it really doesn't matter to you?
Doesn't matter. I booked the TS meals I wanted to try, and had great experiences at all of them (Via Napoli, Flying Fish, Les Chefs de France). In a way, I think TS meals are almost easier/more comfortable than CS solo because you don't have to find your own table (although I never had a problem with that).

I always had someone taking pictures of me with character photos, would you recommend Photo pass for me as good option?
I had Photopass and am glad I did; it just made things easier. I didn't use it as much as I could/should have, but the photo from DHS of The Crazy Lady Strangling Ferb (aka me hugging him) was worth the whole thing.

When staying there solo, will you look to stay at a more reasonable priced resort at Disney or it doesn't really matter to you?
This year, I stayed at BC because it was my first trip in over 7 years, my first solo vacation anywhere, BC was familiar, I liked it, and I was prepared to splurge. I'm trying POFQ next time in the interest of economizing and being able to go more often.

As for the Park Hopper question: I LOVE Park Hoppers and would not go without them. I didn't hop every day on my last trip, but when I wanted it, I was glad to have it. Examples: Monday night was my only good chance to see MSEP and Wishes at MK, but I didn't want Monday to be my main day there. I hit morning EMH at AK that day, finished there around 2:30, went back to the BC to regroup, then headed over to MK specifically to get some dinner (CHH) and see the parade/fireworks. Tuesday I started at MK, spent most of my day there, went to Flying Fish for dinner, then walked over to Epcot for Illuminations (which I had skipped earlier on the trip because it was so chilly out). Also, I like to be able to hop on my last day so I can "clean up" anything I've missed or want to redo - This time, I started at Epcot for Soarin' and lunch at Les Chefs, then went to DHS to do Animation Academy (which I'd skipped earlier in the week) and hit Star Tours a couple more times.

My main advice for taking a solo trip is, if you think there's any chance at all you'll enjoy it - go for it!!
__________________
1999 - Beach Club - Me & Sis
2004 - Polynesian - Me, Sis & Dad
2012 - Beach Club - My Awesome Solo Trip Adventure!
2013 - POFQ - Mardi Gras in the Little Easy
2014 - POFQ - "Eat Around the World" - Yes. Yes, I did.
2015 - POFQ - As P&F say: Carpe Diem! 4 Parks in a Day

karly05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:49 AM   #29
captaindavidhook
Stay away from there
 
captaindavidhook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 534

Quote:
Originally Posted by karly05 View Post
I made my first solo trip in February of this year and loved it! I do generally enjoy doing things on my own, however.

How manys days do you make your trip for?
I stayed 5 nights, so I had 4 full days plus late afternoon/evening on my arrival day. I wanted to be sure I could start one morning at each park.

Do you feel like you are odd or wierd at all by doing a solo?
Not really; it was surprising how quickly I got comfortable with it. CMs were all nice and I never ran into anyone who made me feel weird about it.

Do you ever get that loney feeling and feel like your missing out on something not being with friends or family?
I didn't get lonely, but I did text my sister from the parks sometimes, and called her on the phone each night.

Will you choose more counter service meals then table service meals because your doing a solo or it really doesn't matter to you?
Doesn't matter. I booked the TS meals I wanted to try, and had great experiences at all of them (Via Napoli, Flying Fish, Les Chefs de France). In a way, I think TS meals are almost easier/more comfortable than CS solo because you don't have to find your own table (although I never had a problem with that).

I always had someone taking pictures of me with character photos, would you recommend Photo pass for me as good option?
I had Photopass and am glad I did; it just made things easier. I didn't use it as much as I could/should have, but the photo from DHS of The Crazy Lady Strangling Ferb (aka me hugging him) was worth the whole thing.

When staying there solo, will you look to stay at a more reasonable priced resort at Disney or it doesn't really matter to you?
This year, I stayed at BC because it was my first trip in over 7 years, my first solo vacation anywhere, BC was familiar, I liked it, and I was prepared to splurge. I'm trying POFQ next time in the interest of economizing and being able to go more often.

As for the Park Hopper question: I LOVE Park Hoppers and would not go without them. I didn't hop every day on my last trip, but when I wanted it, I was glad to have it. Examples: Monday night was my only good chance to see MSEP and Wishes at MK, but I didn't want Monday to be my main day there. I hit morning EMH at AK that day, finished there around 2:30, went back to the BC to regroup, then headed over to MK specifically to get some dinner (CHH) and see the parade/fireworks. Tuesday I started at MK, spent most of my day there, went to Flying Fish for dinner, then walked over to Epcot for Illuminations (which I had skipped earlier on the trip because it was so chilly out). Also, I like to be able to hop on my last day so I can "clean up" anything I've missed or want to redo - This time, I started at Epcot for Soarin' and lunch at Les Chefs, then went to DHS to do Animation Academy (which I'd skipped earlier in the week) and hit Star Tours a couple more times.

My main advice for taking a solo trip is, if you think there's any chance at all you'll enjoy it - go for it!!

Thank you for the friendly advice. The more I think about the PH, the more I am leaning to getting it. It would make things so much easier. Ak closes by 5 in Feb and with the PH, I could take advantage and go to Mk or Epcot for dinner. Just a thought.
captaindavidhook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #30
karly05
DIS Veteran
 
karly05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: I am here with the Bird
Posts: 1,737

Oh, yeah, eating at Epcot is always a good reason for Park Hoppers!
__________________
1999 - Beach Club - Me & Sis
2004 - Polynesian - Me, Sis & Dad
2012 - Beach Club - My Awesome Solo Trip Adventure!
2013 - POFQ - Mardi Gras in the Little Easy
2014 - POFQ - "Eat Around the World" - Yes. Yes, I did.
2015 - POFQ - As P&F say: Carpe Diem! 4 Parks in a Day

karly05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.