Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 12:24 PM   #16
Song of the South
Mouseketeer

Day 7

Tuesday

We woke up and got around. Mom and Dad went for a ride on the monorail and went to MK. They were getting off the the train at MK as we were arriving. We got them started on the Keys game (My apologies if that is not actually the name of the game. While I think it is neat it is not my "thing" so I haven't paid much attention to the finer details like what it is called. ) despite Mom's initial resistance to the idea. DH decided that we would show them how to start and then do our own Main Street adventure. Predictably that exactly what happened. They did theirs and we did ours and then we headed over to Adventureland.

We pulled Jungle Cruise fastpasses, ate a dole whip float (my Mom is now a believer!), thought about riding Pirates but ate lunch at Tortuga Tavern instead. It was okay. Taco Bell is tastier but TT was more convienent! After lunch we had time to walk onto Pirates (DD sat with Grandma and Grandpa which was so sweet!) before walking on (via Fastpass) the Jungle Cruise. We split up at that point and Mom and Dad headed to Big Thunder Mountain (they rode twice in a row!) and we headed to Haunted Mansion. We went to the right (still haven't seen the cemetery) and waited just a few minutes before beginning. We debated riding another ride but decided nap time at 2:30pm would be even better.

We napped well and then watched it rain. We jumped in the car and headed over to Raglan Road. We got lost on the way (I just kept reminding myself that Disney doesn't want people to drive!) but made it eventually. Sorry, folks. Raglan Road came highly recommended on dining boards but we won't be back. It was TERRIBLE. I started with the garlic shrimp which were so spicy hot as to be inedible. I ordered the fish and chips for dinner and the fish was so over cooked it wouldn't flake. It was some of the worst fish and chips I have ever had. The music and dancing began as we were leaving. Our girls enjoyed dancing around but there really wasn't a place for them that I felt was safe from being in the way of other diners and waitstaff. Just as we were leaving the dancer came over and said if we would stay she would dance with the girls. It was too late and we left anyway.

We drove DH over to Ghiradelli to pick up 3 hot fudge sundaes (we had bananas back at the room). Instead of going in the ice cream parlor door he went in the chocolate sales door. He wound up buying a hot fudge milk shake and a jar of hot fudge for $18 jaw dropping dollars. As he was waiting for the milk shake he discovered the ice cream shop and ordered 6 scoops of ice cream for another huge chunk of change. We did get 2 sets of desserts out of the purchases and will be having hot fudge and bananas and apples several more times on this vacation. But 3 hot fudge sundaes would have been about $15. Oh, well, live and learn!

We snuggled into bed and were just about asleep when the blaring music from boat parade started. After moments of disorientation we located the noise and went back to sleep. Precious, precious sleep!
Song of the South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #17
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song of the South View Post
We jumped in the car and headed over to Raglan Road. We got lost on the way (I just kept reminding myself that Disney doesn't want people to drive!) but made it eventually.
We've been to Disney a bazillion times and we never fail to get lost at least once on each trip. On our July Anniversary trip we somehow ended up at Downtown Disney when we really wanted to go to BWV, we accidentally ended up back at the MK before finally making our way to BWV. They really really don't want you driving!

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 10:40 PM   #18
Song of the South
Mouseketeer

Day 8

Wednesday

With the logic that only can be described as "group think" instead of using the unusually cool and windy weather to see something we used it to swim in a very cold pool. Yep. We swam in the morning. It was fun but cool if not cold. We thought rain was coming but it didn't materialize.

We went to Earl of Sandwich for lunch and then back to the room for naps.

The plan was to head over to DHS for a ride or two, dinner, and Fantasmic! We didn't get to DHS in time for any rides but were able to be seated rather early for our reservation at Mama Melrose's. I know there are lots of MM haters but we really like it and have always had good food and good service there. We started with the tomato/mozzerella (we call it Caprese where I'm from) dish and the antipasto platter. DH and I shared the Chicken Campanelle. Lovely, lovely! I didn't have any dessert, opting for the traditional post Movie Ride churro instead.

Then I slogged through the rain over to Fantasmic while DH, Mom, and Dad rode Star Tours. I then sat and waited on the bench for them...in the rain. Then we watched Fantasmic in the rain. Then we walked out of DHS and went over to the rail to wait for traffic to die down and watch the Epcot fireworks.

Back at the ranch we turned on the debate (cause who doesn't love a good dose of politics on vacation?!?) and watched. Then we realized our 7:55am Kona Cafe reservations were going to come mighty early once we walked back the time we would need to leave by and getting dressed it turned to be early, early.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #19
Song of the South
Mouseketeer

Day 9- Another go at MNSSHP

Well, we made it! It was early! We were so disappointed in our last Kona experience that I was really, really leery that this would be a not positive "happy vacation" send off for my Mom and Dad whose vacation got cut short by a wedding invitation acceptance. But we had good service and good food. I had the macadamia-pineapple pancakes with ham. Yummy!

And then there were 2. Just BFF and her DD with my little family. Tomorrow DH leaves for home leaving just BFF and the two girls for the weekend (and another move! Yahoo!).

After breakfast DD and I came back to the room and napped until after noon! It was great! We got up and had a few bites of snacks and got ready to go to DH's Harmony Barbershop haircut. Dh's job has pretty specific grooming requirements and he was unable to get into his barber pre-trip and he returns to work Saturday so he decided to try out MK's haircuttery. Just moments before we walked out the door DD-to-be shifted around and I lost my lunch. So, DH went to his magical grooming by himself. DD and I played and watched television.

When he got back he took DD swimming and I took a nap. What a great day! TWO naps! After swimming and naps we dressed and headed over to MK for our dinner ADR (ha! 4:15pm!) and MNSSHP Part II.

Well...all day the weather fluctuated between 100% chance of rain from 4pm-6pm (this mornings forecast) to 55% chance of rain from 4pm-midnight with variations pretty much every 15 minutes. We weren't scared! Our tickets were rain or shine so we figured that meant that even in rain the show must go on! We ate dinner and watched the dark clouds and lightening roll in. We waited for the rain to clear at the restaurant. We waited some more. We waited some more. Radar showed essentially circling clouds parked over us. Awesome! The girls did a great job waiting. Finally, we headed towards Guest Relations to see what our options were (we had been told that there would be no parade or treat trails in the lightening). Guest Relations was a madhouse! For professional line developers Disney certainly was not on the ball tonight. In the rain, up the stairs, people pushing and not queing up properly to get in the Guest Relations door.

So, we decided to head back to Sleepy Hollow to wait for a parade. BFF bought a nutella waffle which we shared a few bites on. The rain and lightening continued and none of the cast members seemed to know what was going on or when. That was okay! We were going to see a special parade! What fun! Then the announcement (garbled and unintelligible as it was) came on saying that the parade had been delayed. And delayed. And delayed. So we headed back up front again all the while debating whether getting in the GR line was "worth" it. The line, by then, had backed up into the square and almost to the other side. Still just a writhing mass of folks on the steps. It just didn't seem reasonable or safe. So, I asked one of the exit CM if the concierge at my hotel could help me. He assured me that the concierge could and said, "But don't leave! The parade is going to start in 10 minutes according to my supervisor!" We thought it over and said, "but we thought there would be no special events while it was lightening." He agreed but said 10 minutes according to supervisor. So, we headed to find a spot figuring another 10 minutes of wet wouldn't hurt anything. We really did want to see the parade. At minute 6 of 10 big chain lightening filled the sky and we decided we were "all done".

We went over to Contemporary's concierge and had no issues getting the situation resolved. The line was neat and orderly--we were the 2nd people in line. The concierge was polite and prompt. To be clear--we were happy to see special Halloween things in the rain and were very willing but it isn't a special party if the special things are canceled by Disney.

Back at the room we order some room service bites and hang out watching the girls "hide" in the curtains being so glad to be out of the rain and lightening. We throw in some laundry and discuss our moving strategy for tomorrow. We come to no firm conclusions. We ask DH what he wants to do for his last day. He doesn't really know. So, we will see what tomorrow brings!

--------------------
After the heat this September I don't think we will be back for vacation during this time period. So, I think we are all done with Mickey's Halloween Party. I am not sure it got a fair shake given the extraordinary (perhaps?) heat we experienced Friday night and the lack of anything due to the lightening tonight. BFF and I are taking a "girl's only" weekend in early December and will be attending a Christmas Party. Maybe it will be more up our alley.

Last edited by Song of the South; 10-08-2012 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Fix the day count.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:22 AM   #20
iuki
Mouseketeer

[

Well...all day the weather fluctuated between 100% chance of rain from 4pm-6pm (this mornings forecast) to 55% chance of rain from 4pm-midnight with variations pretty much every 15 minutes. We weren't scared! Our tickets were rain or shine so we figured that meant that even in rain the show must go on! We ate dinner and watched the dark clouds and lightening roll in. We waited for the rain to clear at the restaurant. We waited some more. We waited some more. Radar showed essentially circling clouds parked over us. Awesome! The girls did a great job waiting. Finally, we headed towards Guest Relations to see what our options were (we had been told that there would be no parade or treat trails in the lightening). Guest Relations was a madhouse! For professional line developers Disney certainly was not on the ball tonight. In the rain, up the stairs, people pushing and not queing up properly to get in the Guest Relations door.

So, we decided to head back to Sleepy Hollow to wait for a parade. BFF bought a nutella waffle which we shared a few bites on. The rain and lightening continued and none of the cast members seemed to know what was going on or when. That was okay! We were going to see a special parade! What fun! Then the announcement (garbled and unintelligible as it was) came on saying that the parade had been delayed. And delayed. And delayed. So we headed back up front again all the while debating whether getting in the GR line was "worth" it. The line, by then, had backed up into the square and almost to the other side. Still just a writhing mass of folks on the steps. It just didn't seem reasonable or safe. So, I asked one of the exit CM if the concierge at my hotel could help me. He assured me that the concierge could and said, "But don't leave! The parade is going to start in 10 minutes according to my supervisor!" We thought it over and said, "but we thought there would be no special events while it was lightening." He agreed but said 10 minutes according to supervisor. So, we headed to find a spot figuring another 10 minutes of wet wouldn't hurt anything. We really did want to see the parade. At minute 6 of 10 big chain lightening filled the sky and we decided we were "all done".

We went over to Contemporary's concierge and had no issues getting the situation resolved. The line was neat and orderly--we were the 2nd people in line. The concierge was polite and prompt. To be clear--we were happy to see special Halloween things in the rain and were very willing but it isn't a special party if the special things are canceled by Disney.

My DH stood in line for about an hour and barely moved with people cutting in line. Someone in line asked if this could be taken care of back at the resort. The CM said that the ONLY place the refund/credit could be done was at the GR at City Hall. After standing in a lightening storm for an hour (with thoughts of the storm in Indiana), we gave up and went home. We too are done with the special parties. Although Disney has no control over the weather, they could have just said that the tickets could be used at another time or taken care of at the resorts. Considering the weather possibilities in Florida, Disney should already have had a backup plan in place.
iuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:56 AM   #21
iuki
Mouseketeer

Just spoke with my daughter. She said that last night's MNSSHP had the parade at 11 pm and also had the fireworks. At least those who toughed it out did get what they paid for.
iuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:33 PM   #22
Song of the South
Mouseketeer

Friday- Day 10

We woke up and began the arduous process of packing up. We had to decide which groceries to toss, which to leave for BLT housekeeping, and which to take on to Yacht Club with us. I had to repack into the small suitcase so DH could take home the Enclosetron (our OL which Southwest kindly transports for free and so we stow it at our home) and the big suitcase. We picked up the rooms, tossed the towels in the bathtub and stripped the beds. We were out by 11:05am. We were aiming for 11 but the last walk through took a few minutes.

We went over to some Hilton subbrand--cannot recall now--over at Downtown Disney to add DH to the rental car so he (poor guy!) could drive himself back to the airport. Then we went over to Yacht Club and checked in. Our room was ready (this is BFF and the 2 girls now) and in far, far, far away land. When I checked in I asked for a room close to Beach Club and was told, "No, your room is assigned." I think there may have been some language barrier going on. After seeing just how long a walk it was I went back to the front desk and asked a different check-in person if it would be possible to get something closer to the lobby, an elevator, or Beach Club. That we would give up the day bed to be closer. He was able to find us something closer on the 2nd floor (it also had a daybed!).

We went and put our name in at Beaches N Cream and I waited while BFF and DH moved our luggage. They got back just as I was ordering, having been seated within about 15-20 minutes. Mmmmm...Beaches N Cream has the best grilled cheese. I was thankful to have my 2nd one of the trip. I also tried a vanilla milk shake which was good. I asked specifically for vanilla syrup along with the milk and vanilla ice cream and it did not disappoint. By the time lunch was over the girls were ready for naps so we headed back to the room. DH hung around and put DD down to sleep and then left for the airport.

The girls napped and then we decided, despite the intermittent showers, to head over to Epcot for a little bit of F&W festival and to get some supper. We wound up bypassing most of the kiosks due to long lines but on a whim checked with Via Napoli and they could seat us immediately despiter our lack of ADR. It was just okay. BFF had eaten here earlier in their stay and kept raving about how wonderful it was. They had the Quattro Formagi. We got the pepperoni to try something different. It was, frankly, disappointing and pricey. Also, the caprese was among the most expensive I have had while being the smallest and least interesting--no pepper (we did ask for salt and pepper which we used to season it), balsalmic vinegar, only one basil leaf. In the end, I was glad to have tried it, I might go back if someone else wanted to but I think it is off my list. Oh, the blood orange and strawberry aqua frescas though were wonderful!!!

After dinner we continued our counter-clockwise tour of the showcase. We procured the cheese fondue from the cheese kiosk and didn't like it--too runny (too much wine or kirsch?) and missing the nutmeg and garlic we enjoy in a traditional cheese fondue. I tried to buy some carmel corn in Germany but the line appeared to be about 25 people deep so I declined. BFF suggested a stop in the Norway Bakery. I had never been in there before so I agreed. We tried the Lefse (I think it would have been good warm but cold it was just sort of strange) and the School Bread. OH. MY. The School Bread was amazing! Simply amazing. I love boston cream but this was better! Amazing.

BFF got a strawberry/lime margarita from the Mexico kiosk. It started raining harder. I tried the Ice Imperial Moet along with the dark chocolate mousse. I like Nectar Moet better but was glad to try a new (to me) kind. The chocolate mousse was really great although I didn't read the description (blame it on the rain! Yeah! Yeah!) closely and was surprised by the chile peppers. We left the showcases through IG and headed over to Storm-along-Bay to swim.

It was almost time for fireworks and BFF's DD doesn't really like them yet so we thought swimming would be a good distraction while we appreciated their colorful glory. Unfortunately, the kiddie slide closed just as we arrived. We enjoyed the cool dip in the kiddie pool for awhile and then decided to head over to Storm-along proper. We discovered it was closed. Sigh. So, we decided to head to the Yacht Club quiet pool. It was HOT. Like 85 degrees warm. Gross. The girls enjoyed the few minutes we spent swimming there.

We headed back to our room and tried to make a plan for Saturday. Fatigue won out though and we decided to play it by ear.

OH! What happened to DH? He spent a looooonnnnnggggg time at the airport. He arrived early (cause isn't MCO security the longest Disney line in a lot of ways?!?!) and I received a text that his flight had been delayed an hour. After several more texts his 6pm flight wound up leaving at 9:40pm. Poor guy. He missed Epcot and swimming and got to see the inside of an airport instead.
-------------------------------------
iuki- Your DH is a brave soul to stand in that line! It looked crazy and unsafe. As my DH pointed out though Disney had no reason to make it smooth and efficient. I'm glad that there was a parade for those who made it to 11. Having tried to see the 10:30pm parade the Friday before and having it be a colossal failure (cause every bit of advice is to stay and see the 2nd parade!) there is no way I could have lasted until then. DD? Sure! She's up for anything. Pregnant mama? Only in my dreams! I bet there were lots of prime spots available though with the droves of people streaming out.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:41 AM   #23
Song of the South
Mouseketeer

Day 11- In which we have food fail...repeatedly...

Saturday- Day 11

We were up and around on the search for breakfast around 9am. We stopped by Captain's Grille but were told an hour wait by the same guy who was in charge of our super horrendous wait over at Kouzzina the previous Saturday. He said they didn't have enough servers. He remembered us too which was a bit awkward. We decided to keep on walking. Cape May could seat us in 45 minutes or so but pregnant lady here could not wait that long. (We did not expect to get into Cape May without an ADR. We were on our way to the the Beach Club Marketplace and decided to stop just to see.) On to BCM...it was terrible.

Overall, it was the worst counterservice meal we had. It wasn't really a surprise because when we ate lunch there in May it wasn't very good either. I was dismayed to see the rude CM check out person from May was working in the same position. In May half way through our transaction this particular CM said, "My shift's over," and turned and walked away leaving me standing there wondering what I was supposed to do. Some of my things were in a bag and I was still holding some things. The CM who walked over to replace her apologized and said the reason we were having the issues we were having prior to the CM walking away is that she is deaf. Well, that might explain why she was essentially ignoring everything I was saying/asking but it sure doesn't excuse the walking away midtransaction. I don't think it is a CM position someone who is unwilling to communicate (I have worked with a variety of people with hearing loss I am by no means saying that a deaf CM cannot provide good communication and customer service!) and who walks away from customers should have. I digress. This particular morning she just ignored my questions/statements but I got checked out. DD and I split a croissant, some potato casserole which needed to be cooked longer, a biscuit, some bacon, and she had some grapes and the bread pudding thing.

After breakfast we changed into our swimming gear and hit the pool! DD and BFF's DD went down the kiddie waterslide probably 20 times squealing and "wheeeeeeeeing" every time with glee. It was awesome. We swam a good two hours or so and then headed to Beaches N Cream for lunch. Again! Wheeeeeee! :D DD and I shared the kid's meal hot dog with chili and the grilled cheese and tomato soup- I ate her chili dog and she devoured my soup. Oh! But we started with the strawberry shortcake which is probably the best dessert I have had there so far. It was perfect and divine. Delicious! We were very pleased with lunch here again. So now there are 2 things on the menu I think are good--chili dog and grilled cheese.

We retired to the room for naps and trying to figure out what to do about dinner. I had no luck finding us a dinner ADR for today but did find one at *O'Hana!!!* for tomorrow. Yahoo! The problem with finding a "last" minute ADR with napping children is I had no idea if we could be somewhere by 6, 6:30pm, 7pm but I knew 8pm or later was way too late. Finally, after much hemming and hawing we decided to go try Maya Grill. There were ADRs for every 15 minutes but when we tried to commit the internet went down (I haven't said much/anything about the internet situation so far in the trip because it hasn't been an issue at all. At Yacht Club from Saturday night on we had continuing issues with connectivity.) but we decided we were 10 minutes away so we would just head over there.

Wrong! Second no ADR meal fail of the day! We were told that yes, until just a few minutes prior they had lots of availability but a large wedding party had just been seated and they couldn't seat us for at least 45 minutes. We stopped at Pepper Market but saw no feasible way to carry babies and trays of food. We tried using my GPS to find another mexican resaurant but Disney must be on to that plan because things like "Raglan Road" and "Earl of Sandwich" came up...pretty sure neither establishment has Mexican food. As a last ditch try before we committed to Taco Bell (and we should have!!!) was to stop at the Concierge desk and inquire is he had any recommendations for nearby Mexican restaurants. Unfortunately, either he did not know (maybe he is one of those souls who doesn't like Mexican food or who works so much he doesn't have a chance to explore) or could not say a nearby place. Instead, he spoke with the hotel manager who went to speak with the restaurant manager. After a minute or so she came back and said we would be seated in 15 minutes. Very strange. Although we were leary we walked back to MG and waited about 8 minutes and were seated.

We liked the decor of the restaurant. The non-alcoholic "Miami Vice" (half strawberry, half pina colada) drink I had was great. That is pretty much the end of our likes. The cheese dip was among the worst I have had...I love cheese dip so I've had quite a bit. This was I think a flour roux base which just never bodes well. The guacamole was different, interesting, but not good. I couldn't tell what the chunks were--maybe cucumber, maybe yucca, maybe ??? BFF ordered the taco platter and did like the chicken taco with the orange and radish. She said it was "fresh" tasting. The others 3 flavors she had no comment on but left all but a bite or two on her plate. I had the chimichanga plate. The fried shell was pretty good. I liked the beef one better than the chicken. Neither of our DDs would eat what we shared with them. That is strange because we eat out Mexican food at home quite a bit and both girls devour it. Just as we were waiting for the check or to order dessert I got sick for the second time that day. Hard to say if it was the food or a rambunctious baby. The total on our meal was over $90 for 2 non-alcoholic drinks, 2 appetizers, and 2 entrees. It was one of the most expensive meals of the trip and the most disappointing. It also took a long time! We didn't get back until almost 10pm and left at 6:45pm.

On the way back to the room we stopped so BFF could buy diapers. It was funny! Outside the drugstore were CMs in their world showcase uniforms (Germany, France were represented heavily) waiting. I was a little puzzled until I realized that their was a liquor store next door and these CMs must be underage. Seeing a young man dressed in leiderhosen smoking waiting on his friends was pretty amusing to me.

Back at the room the girls played and we went to bed. But not before we made a better plan for tomorrow's eatting! We decided that whoever woke first would immediately make us a reservation for breakfast somewhere. We already had O'hana for dinner so we were set.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: