Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 06:18 PM   #16
Tinkerpeas hubby
Mouseketeer

Well I just got the last of my $$$ yesterday not the best rate at 1.56 but oh well, so we now have ........
$2900 in CASH lol. We split it into daily amounts and what we don't spend each day then goes into the souvenir pile we always end up with around $500 at the end which we buy our frames/ gifts etc with since we have no food to buy!

Cindy

Moi (31): dw (27): B (10) Ant (7): Avatar (7):
Tinkerpeas hubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:03 AM   #17
Kath2003
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkerpeas hubby View Post
Well I just got the last of my $$$ yesterday not the best rate at 1.56 but oh well, so we now have ........
$2900 in CASH lol. We split it into daily amounts and what we don't spend each day then goes into the souvenir pile we always end up with around $500 at the end which we buy our frames/ gifts etc with since we have no food to buy!

Cindy
that's not a bad rate for cash.
Check your travel insurance though - ours doesn't cover us for anywhere near that much cash...
Kath2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 04:30 AM   #18
MichelinMan
I Am Speed - Ka-Chow!!!!

I use a credit card abroad now, and take some cash with me for smaller purchases - I'll probably take $1000, but I reckon I won't spend it all.

I have a Capital One credit card. It charges 2.75% conversion charge for foreign transactions. But my card also gives me cash back (1.25% for the amount I spend - or should I say the wife spends!), so that effectively works out at a 1.5% conversion charge - beats any purchase of money, pre-paid cards or travellers cheques, and so much easier.

I would really recommend this card - you can get 5% on all purchases for the first 3 months (up to £100 max). I can't understand why people wouldn't have a credit card if they can get cash back just for spending (as long as you clear the balance each month). The card does need a minimum income of £20k and an excellent credit rating though.

If you do take a lot of cash, yes the travel insurance probably won't cover it all. But if you split the money up (I give the wife some, I have some, and leave some in the safe) then the chances of you losing the lot of it at once are pretty remote.

July 1994 : WDW Off-Site on Honeymoon
July 2009 : DLP Newport Bay Club
July 2011 : DLP Disneyland Hotel
July 2013 : WDW Polynesian Resort / Hard Rock Universal / Renaissance SeaWorld
MichelinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:49 AM   #19
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelinMan View Post
I can't understand why people wouldn't have a credit card if they can get cash back just for spending (as long as you clear the balance each month).
There are many reasons people don't use credit cards.
Some can't get them.
Some have had them before and built up too many debts, cash is the only way they can stick to their budget.

I don't see the point in a credit card where you pay 2.75% fee then get back 1.25% giving a 1.5% fee. Why not just a card with no fees?
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 05:49 AM   #20
MichelinMan
I Am Speed - Ka-Chow!!!!

Wayne, if you were just going to have one credit card which you use all the time, then a cashback credit card like the Capital One card would save you more money over time because you would also use it for all your everyday shopping at home.

My recommendation of the Capital One card was for if you were going to use one card for everyday use as well as abroad - I wouldn't recommend it just to use abroad. I agree, if you are going to have multiple cards, then getting a card with zero transaction charges would be best to use abroad. But I personally don't like having multiple cards - its bad enough having a credit card, debit card and my corporate card to keep track of!

But getting a new Capital One card may well make sense to get even just for one trip abroad - because you get 5% cashback in your first 3 months, up to £100 total, you could actually make money on your foreign transactions for that trip.

July 1994 : WDW Off-Site on Honeymoon
July 2009 : DLP Newport Bay Club
July 2011 : DLP Disneyland Hotel
July 2013 : WDW Polynesian Resort / Hard Rock Universal / Renaissance SeaWorld
MichelinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 06:18 AM   #21
wayneg
VMK AceCaptainWayne
I can't get my mouth to say healthy things

DISboards Moderator

If you only use one card then yes you need to work out the best option.
I use Post Office card when abroad & foriegn transactions only, rest of year it doesn't get used.
One year I spent over $20,000 with flights (Orbitz.com in $'s) cruise, hotels etc. & spend. Even at 1.5% its a lot of fees.
  • 2005(Oct) Disney Magic + BW Lakeside, 2005 (Xmas) BW Lakeside, 2006(Aug) Courtyard By Marriott LBV + 1st RCCL cruise,
  • 2006(Oct) Disneyland, Cailfornia Howard Johnson, 2006(Xmas)Comfort Inn LBV,2007(Easter)Fairfield Inn, Marriott Village
  • 2007(Aug)Courtyard By Marriott LBV, 2007(Oct) Disneyland CA, HoJo/Vegas, Flamingo,2008(Easter) Windsor Hills, Disney Wonder, Fairfield Inn
  • 2008(Aug)Country Inn, 2nd RCCL, AKL, 2008(Oct)& 2008(Xmas)Fairfield Inn, 2009(May)Country Inn 2009(Aug)OKW, Disney Magic, Regal Sun
  • 2010(Easter) Hampton Inn LBV 2010(Aug) Royal Pacific & OKW 2011(Feb)H.I. Express LBV 2011(Aug)OKW, Disney Dream, HI DTD
  • 2011(Oct) Fairfield Inn 2012(Aug) Fairfield Inn, OKW 2012(Nov) Fairfield Inn 2013(Apr) Fairfield Inn LBV 2013(Aug) Swan & ESA LBV 2013(Oct) ESA LBV
  • 2014(Jul) Hilton Garden Inn LBV 2014(Sept) Disney Magic 14nt WBTA, Wyndham Bonnet Creek
wayneg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #22
tinkerpea
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath2003
that's not a bad rate for cash.
Check your travel insurance though - ours doesn't cover us for anywhere near that much cash...
We are with the post office on there premium insurance and it covers a certain amount BUT we also have a separate kit insurance through DH forces insurance that covers pretty much the rest!
We have always taken this much cash and it's just the norm for us, we won't allow it to be out of our sight then at the hotel we keep it in a lock box in the safe!! So it's pretty safe I hope

Me 28,DH 32,DS 10, DS"Twins"8
tinkerpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #23
TinkerbellW
Mouseketeer

During our trip in April I used TCs and took a little cash too as I didn't want to use my credit card too much. Had no problems and was only asked for ID in Ghirardellis at DTD. (After a miserable experience of using pre-paid travel money card in Europe I dismissed this for USA.) I did have some TCs left when we got back and got next to nothing for them when I changed them - I would have been far better paying on my credit card as exchange rate was far more favourable. Next trip I will be taking some cash but the majority of things will be charged to my room and ultimately my credit card. But I guess each to their own
January 2005 'Last family trip' - Pop Century May 2007 '1st single parent trip' - Pop CenturyJuly 2010 'My 40th Birthday'- All Star Sports April 2012 'Graduation' - Pop Century July 2013 'Onwards and upwards' - Art Of Animation
July 2015 'We made it back' - Port Orleans French Quarter

TinkerbellW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #24
Kath2003
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerpea View Post
We are with the post office on there premium insurance and it covers a certain amount BUT we also have a separate kit insurance through DH forces insurance that covers pretty much the rest!
We have always taken this much cash and it's just the norm for us, we won't allow it to be out of our sight then at the hotel we keep it in a lock box in the safe!! So it's pretty safe I hope
Sounds like you have it sorted
We rarely use cash at home so using cards abroad is exactly the same for us. One bill when we get home and job done - wouldn't like to "ration" out the money which I would have to do if we used cash. We take a tiny amount for tips, vending machines etc. We always say we'll just get more cash out if we need to but we never do - we usually bring home a bunch of notes.
Kath2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #25
Magic Megadegs
Mouseketeer

Hi, sorry it was me that started this z shild ago. Just been reading Saint Martin Lewis of Money Saving fames recent update on holiday spending and h&s recommended the Halifax clarity cc which has 0% load and fee free money withdrawals. Does anyone have one? Is this info correct?

Dec / Jan 1990/1991 Villa Xmas, August 1993 I Drive, November 2001 I Drive, August 2003 I Drive Honeymoon , Dec / Jan 2010/2011 Reunion Resort Xmas, August 2013 Caribe Royale & Old Key West Resort , February 2014 Holiday Inn Resort LBV
Magic Megadegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:28 PM   #26
Magic Megadegs
Mouseketeer

I ridiculously replied on this rather than the Fairfx versus cc post, sorry x

Dec / Jan 1990/1991 Villa Xmas, August 1993 I Drive, November 2001 I Drive, August 2003 I Drive Honeymoon , Dec / Jan 2010/2011 Reunion Resort Xmas, August 2013 Caribe Royale & Old Key West Resort , February 2014 Holiday Inn Resort LBV
Magic Megadegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #27
alisonbestford
Can cope with the dentist after a glass or 2 of wine
Is a bit partial to dripping sandwiches

I've just got a Caxton Currency card - as recommended by Martin Lewis..........Free to apply for (you pay a small deposit when you order the card which gets added to your card's credit) and no fees
Got a rate of 1.50 yesterday too
Old 04-08-2013, 04:17 AM   #28
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vixster View Post
What's the most popular thing to get when going to USA dollars and travellers cheques or one of those money cards I got both at the moment but they tried to get me to have a money card anyone used one
There was a time many moons ago when you got a better rate for travellers cheques and you could spend them like cash. That has changed a little now, in that the rate is the same and some retailers have stopped accepting them.

There are pros and cons to all of the options, but we tend to just take US dollars in cash these days. Travellers cheques are more secure and safe, in that they are covered if they are lost or stolen but if you have decent travel insurance, your spends are covered on that anyway. I have never been a fan of the currency cards because there are (not so hidden) fees to use them and sometimes you NEED cash, for example for tolls etc.

Off-Site Disney World Visits '92 - '94 - '96 - '99 - 2000, 2001, 2004
Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR - October 2014 - SSR - 2015 - Moving to the Sunshine State!

Disney Fairytale Wedding Vow Renewal Feb 2012
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:33 AM   #29
ChipnDaleRule
DIS Veteran

I feel a lot more "old school".I feel safer with travellers cheques and i find it easier to keep a track of how much ive spent as we tend to try and keep to a daily budget.Last time i bought travellers cheques from the post office i was given the third degree as to why cheques and not the post office card, which really got my back up.Even at the hotel some of the staff didnt know how to change them, also could only change $200 a day.They are still my prefered method though.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:07 AM   #30
Laszkowicz
Mouseketeer

We intend to take all cash ( and a credit cards for back up emergencies )
I'm sure many will disagree with carrying $1000s in cash on hol but as

PP have said we just split it all into days and spread the cash out. All carry some, some in safe. Some in our of sight money belt.

I don't like cards when away.
We do the same in Spain France and generally money rolls over into next days.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: