Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #16
littleteapot
Privileged to be learning from the DIS-masters

I might. It depends on how close I was to the mother and how careful I thought she would be. Lice are mostly spread through head to head contact, they don't fly. I think she would be less likely to pick up lice from this girl that she would on a random school day with classmates unaware of their infestation.

If she spends a lot of time with this girl (before her mom found the lice), I would check your daughter carefully. She may already be affected.

Lice are gross and annoying, but not fatal. I give the mom great credit for being honest with you about the whole thing.

There always has to be one dissenting vote

Wow Disneyland was Fantastic November 2005, Loved the World November 2006, Back to the Land January 2008, 10 days of fun December 2008, 7 days weren't quite enough December 2009, Mom and Daughter trip to Disneyland July 2012
littleteapot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:42 AM   #17
LauraLap
DIS Veteran

I would let my daughter go because I'm now a lice expert - LOL - and we handle it much better now that there have been a few incidents and I have gone to some experts for help on how to deal with it.

I just wanted to re-iterate that you need to tell your friend that most "treatments" don't work. The best way to get the lice/nits out is to nit pick. I have a special comb from Lice Squad (which I think may only be in Canada) and it is amazing.

The reason my daughter kept getting nits again is because others were using the supposed "treatments". My school finally got on board with the proper way to deal with Lice and things have been much better!

Me , DH , DS (10), DD (9)

Recent Trips:
~2008 SSR & DCL~2009 AKV~2010 BWV~2011 AKV~2012 BCV~2013 BLT~2013/14 AKV~
Upcoming:
~ June 2015 - Disneyland Paris!
~ Oct 2015 - Halloween at WDW
LauraLap is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 07:45 AM   #18
cepmom
Mine are painted too
My kids call me a "trash picker"
Who wouldn't choose Chachi over a skunk?
I hate finding burning butts in my mulch!

They haven't spent any time together recently other than going to and from school on the bus. She may very well have done a fantastic job combing her dds hair out but I still don't think it's wise to take that risk especially considering they'll be sleeping over for 3 nights.
*lots of offsite trips growing up**3/1995 offsite**11/2002 Wilderness Lodge**8/2005 Polynesian~4 night DCL~Royal Pacific**8/2006 10th anniversary 3 night DCL**1/2007 SURPRISE 7 night Western DCL**2/2007 Caribbean Beach~Nationals Competition**8/2007 Girls Only Trip~Pop Century**8/2008 Port Orleans Riverside**12/2008 DH's Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century**9/2009 My Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century* *8/2010 California and Disneyland!*5/2011 Beach Club**6/2012 Coronado Springs mother/daughter graduation trip **8/2012 POFQ* 1/2014 Disney Marathon Weekend Old Key West*
2/2014 Princess 1/2 Marathon with DD
**Coming Up**8/2014 Disneyland 1/2 Marathon with DDGoing Coast to Coast
cepmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #19
wdwmom0f3
Disney Dreamer
I just spent 30 minutes on youtube watching people clean their ears out

I wouldn't take the chance so I would have to say no. The mom really should just change the date to another weekend when she knows that the issue has been resolved. Personally that's what I would do because I wouldn't want to risk other kids getting it.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:02 AM   #20
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

depends!

First how much time has your child spent with this girl recently? That is more important than the weekend. She is much more likely to have already caught them from her yesterday than she will be today or tomorrow. Plus they are going to a neutral location so that gets rid of the chance there are some in the carpeting or pillows.

I would'nt automatically say no, I would want to find out how they planned on spending most of the time and would be sending my child with their own sleeping bag and pillow and with explicit instructions not to be physically close to the girl and to not use anything she had near her head.

You do know the family could have just not told you right? Many people if they had already treated would have just not said anything.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #21
cepmom
Mine are painted too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy
depends!

First how much time has your child spent with this girl recently? That is more important than the weekend. She is much more likely to have already caught them from her yesterday than she will be today or tomorrow. Plus they are going to a neutral location so that gets rid of the chance there are some in the carpeting or pillows.

I would'nt automatically say no, I would want to find out how they planned on spending most of the time and would be sending my child with their own sleeping bag and pillow and with explicit instructions not to be physically close to the girl and to not use anything she had near her head.

You do know the family could have just not told you right? Many people if they had already treated would have just not said anything.
Of course I realize she could have just not said anything, I'm not angry her dd has lice! I appreciate that she told me, I was just taken back a little that she seemed to have an attitude when I told her dd couldn't go, after she told me the decision was up to me. And yes I realize that lice can be picked up anywhere, you can't really control it but to me it's different than sending your child away for 3 days with someone known to have just been treated.
*lots of offsite trips growing up**3/1995 offsite**11/2002 Wilderness Lodge**8/2005 Polynesian~4 night DCL~Royal Pacific**8/2006 10th anniversary 3 night DCL**1/2007 SURPRISE 7 night Western DCL**2/2007 Caribbean Beach~Nationals Competition**8/2007 Girls Only Trip~Pop Century**8/2008 Port Orleans Riverside**12/2008 DH's Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century**9/2009 My Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century* *8/2010 California and Disneyland!*5/2011 Beach Club**6/2012 Coronado Springs mother/daughter graduation trip **8/2012 POFQ* 1/2014 Disney Marathon Weekend Old Key West*
Old 10-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #22
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

No. No. No. Why take the risk? Rain check!

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #23
Erin1700
At least I am bragging about using soap!

No way!
Erin1700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #24
mickeyboat
Nothing like the cream and chocolate combination
Thank you for omitting the footwear today
Moons are a sign of intelligence and beauty

I might. I would need to know that the mother was picking / combing her DD's hair thoroughly and repeatedly to get out all the nits.

DD13 had it several years ago, and I spent 6 hours the first day picking, 2 hours for the next two days, and an hour each day until I retreated with the shampoo. I didn't find many after the first two days, but I still took the time to check.

We also cleaned the house thoroughly once, changed her sheets and blankets every day, and vacuumed her room and mattress and our couches and floors every day for a week. We also kept her out of the bedrooms other than hers.

No one else in our family got it.

If I knew that the mother had taken the proper measures, I might allow my DD to go.

So couldnít we all come to the conclusion that itís not the PLACE that counts, itís the people who contribute to it? - Delswife
mickeyboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #25
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

I think you should tell your DD why you aren't sending her. It's not fair to you to look like the bad guy for no reason. Lice is a pretty common thing in schools and kids are not ostracized by others for having it (at least in my experience....DD had them twice).
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:36 AM   #26
cepmom
Mine are painted too

I'm not sure Of her plans to comb through her DD's hair each day until the 2nd treatment...she didn't want the other girls to know about it, so I'm not sure how she'd comb through the girls hair all weekend without the friends knowing ?
Old 10-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #27
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepmom View Post
I'm not sure Of her plans to comb through her DD's hair each day until the 2nd treatment...she didn't want the other girls to know about it, so I'm not sure how she'd comb through the girls hair all weekend without the friends knowing ?
Bingo - I'm guessing she won't. The last time dd9 got it, and had it professionally removed, her friend had it too. Her mom wasn't that concerned, did the treatment, combed a bit. I let my dd play with her outside, but even after warning dd about not letting their heads get close together, it was a constant (private) reminder (they both knew each other had it - in their group of friends, if someone gets it, they let others know - otherwise, other kids might have it, never know, and everyone gets infected again).

Girls just seem to be all over each other.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:42 AM   #28
StephMK
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleteapot View Post
I might. It depends on how close I was to the mother and how careful I thought she would be. Lice are mostly spread through head to head contact, they don't fly. I think she would be less likely to pick up lice from this girl that she would on a random school day with classmates unaware of their infestation.

If she spends a lot of time with this girl (before her mom found the lice), I would check your daughter carefully. She may already be affected.

Lice are gross and annoying, but not fatal. I give the mom great credit for being honest with you about the whole thing.

I agree and it depends on the ages of the girl. If I were the mom in question, I would have just re-scheduled and solved the whole problem. I would not want to be responsible for potentially passing it around.

My oldest got them from daycare many years ago and while it was a huge pain, the rest of our family and her BFF never got them.

A lot would depend on sleeping conditions and the types of activities the girls would be doing. I would want the girls to be aware though because you can't police them all the time and you don't want them doing each other's hair over the weekend or sharing brushes, hats, etc.

I don't blame you for not sending her though. They are not fun to deal with!
Old 10-05-2012, 08:49 AM   #29
luvsJack
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleteapot View Post

Make that two! I would let dd go.

Having dealt with lice with not only my own kids, but in the child care setting too, I just don't get as wound up about as some people do.

I am always surprised in these threads the lengths some go to get rid of the things. We never had that much of a problem with it. Shampoo once and wash everything in the house in hot water (if it's in the bedroom or has been laid on and can't be washed--it goes either in a hot dryer or gets bagged up for a day or two) Comb with the nit comb a couple of times and use the shampoo again. Never did we have to do anything after that.

BTW, if by some chance you do send your dd, have her keep her hair in a ponytail and spray liberally with hair spray. Helps keep them away.

10 pounds closer to Skinny Island!
luvsJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #30
Mkrop
I just cant go on demand
Hi my name is Mkop and I am a cart leaver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cepmom View Post
I think it is irresponsible of the mother not to have informed the school. That is how this gets spread. One year it was spread on the bus, the girls were seat mates and other than that, had no contact with each other.

I think the mom should have rescheduled.
June 2008 Contemporary
Dec 2008 Boardwalk Inn
June 2009 Disneyland Hotel and DCA
Jan 2010 DVC Boardwalk Villas
Dec 2010 DVC BLT
July-Aug 2011 Disneyland Park Vue Inn
Dec 2011 DVC BW
July 2012 DVC BC
Dec 2013 DVC AKL/BW
Aug 2014 DVC DCA
Mkrop is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread