Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 02:15 AM   #31
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Cute photo of Chase!!

Sorry your veggie pie wasn't as good as it looks. I would want some hearty flavorful veggies in the dish since all the potato on top doesn't necessarily scream flavor. It is actually something that I would still try - maybe. But the hightlight to any meal is the dessert and oh man... the caramelized banana looks awesome!!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:42 AM   #32
sushi candy
Foodie

Sitting in for your reviews, Rachel! I wanted to eat at the Rose & Crown but couldn't fit it in. I am glad to see the fish and chips are a hit. That is what I would have ordered.
sushi candy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #33
kelleigh1
Disney Baby
I sleep with Pooh & Mickey
Kicked off the school bus

Just found your report and I thought it would be a good way to tide me over until our own trip in 22 days!

Childless doesn't mean that we're not a family. MLA RLA

kelleigh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:28 PM   #34
Roma
Mouseketeer

I would be highly interested to know what white meat fish justifies that type of price tag for fish and chips! Even for Disney that is a little over the top.

Sorry your vegetable pie was bleh . I love mashed potatoes but I don't particularly love them mixed with bland vegetables.
Old 10-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #35
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Cute photo of Chase!!

Sorry your veggie pie wasn't as good as it looks. I would want some hearty flavorful veggies in the dish since all the potato on top doesn't necessarily scream flavor. It is actually something that I would still try - maybe. But the hightlight to any meal is the dessert and oh man... the caramelized banana looks awesome!!
Thanks Brenda! Chase is a cutie, as you know there's never a dull moment with a teenager around.

The veggie pie was just okay. Ironically, the mashed potatoes on top probably had more flavor than the inside veggies. The dessert truly was excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushi candy View Post
Sitting in for your reviews, Rachel! I wanted to eat at the Rose & Crown but couldn't fit it in. I am glad to see the fish and chips are a hit. That is what I would have ordered.
So glad you decided to read. I'm enjoying your reviews as well. The fish and chips were very good. Maybe next time you will get to try them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleigh1 View Post
Just found your report and I thought it would be a good way to tide me over until our own trip in 22 days!
So happy for you that your trip will be here soon. Hope you have many good meals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
I would be highly interested to know what white meat fish justifies that type of price tag for fish and chips! Even for Disney that is a little over the top.

Sorry your vegetable pie was bleh . I love mashed potatoes but I don't particularly love them mixed with bland vegetables.
The fish and chips are overpriced, but I'm willing to pay it since it is the only brainfood my son will eat while we are at Disney.

Rachel
AKL, ASMovies(2), ASMusic(2), ASSports, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Dolphin, French Quarter, Gaylord Palms, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Kidani Village, Polynesian, Pop Century(2), Riverside, Wilderness Lodge
Smiling Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #36
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

CHEF MICKEY'S BREAKFAST

Sure enough I was able to find a breakfast reservation for Chef Mickey's less than 2 days before Friday. I noticed that a lot of character breakfast ressies were available just a few days before since many people cancel now that Disney has started the $10 per person charge for ressies not cancelled within 24 hours.

The reservation was for 7:20 am which sounded great to me. We had a rental car this time so we could get from AKL to the Contemporary easily and we could get a jump start on our day. Brian and especially Chase were not happy about getting up so early but I hoped they would adjust after getting food in their bellies.

We headed over to CR and valet parked the car. This is one of the perks of the TIW card, free valet parking. We only had to show the TIW card and our breakfast receipt when we picked up the car.

I was suprised at how many people were already at Chef Mickey's at 7:20 am. What time does this place open anyway? We decided to skip the photopass picture. Chef Mickey's sister restaurant at Disneyland, Goofy's Kitchen, actually has a character to pose with as you enter the restaurant. Not sure I understand the point of these pictures and wonder if many people actually purchase them. Maybe they are included in the price of the preordered photopass CD?

We were seated in the first seat in the dining room to the left of the buffets. If I'm remembering right, this is the last section of the restaurant to be seated. I'm still shocked there were that many people seated ahead of us with a 7:20 ADR. Sorry, there are no buffet pictures, just too much madness but here is a picture of my plate.

breakfast from Chef Mickey's by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

The best thing I ate (other than the Mickey waffle)was the cheddar hash browns which are in the lower left hand corner of my plate. They were definitely seconds worthy!

Here's a picture of my fruit bowl. I love Florida fruit, it's so much better than what we have here at home. The granola covered pineapple was my favorite.

fruit from Chef Mickey's by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

And I've never met a donut that I didn't want to have a long term relationship with. These little donut holes were no exception. I could have eaten twenty of them, but decide to stop at four.

donut holes from Chef Mickey's by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

Chase is a boy that loves an omelette. I noticed that Chef Mickey's didn't have an omelette station. Instead they have scrambled eggs and then all the toppings near the eggs that you would put in an omelette. I asked our server, Linda, about this and she offered to bring Chase an omelette from the kitchen. So here's his bacon, onion and cheese omelette.

omelette from Chef Mickey's by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

Chase was really happy now and seemed to forget that I had made him get up at such an early hour on vacation.

We met all the characters, but this little lady was the star seen here with Chase.

Chase and Minnie at Chef Mickey's by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

Minnie was our favorite this time. She had hugs and extra kisses for Brian and Chase.

We had a good time at Chef Mickey's. The characters were lots of fun, the service was just and fine, and the food was on par with most other Disney breakfast buffets.

Up next: THE PLAZA DINNER

Rachel
AKL, ASMovies(2), ASMusic(2), ASSports, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Dolphin, French Quarter, Gaylord Palms, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Kidani Village, Polynesian, Pop Century(2), Riverside, Wilderness Lodge
Old 10-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #37
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Minnie sure was sweet on Chase!!

I'm willing to brave the loud, napkin waving, music blaring restaurant for those cheesey potatoes!!! I love some different options at breakfast buffets beyond the usual breakfast potatoes and those sure caught my eye!! We usually stay all or part of our trips at CR/BLT so I see the crowds every morning that we pass through the concourse and have never been interested in dining there - until now! PLUS.. that was awesome that the kitchen made an omelet for your DS.

Thanks for the great review Rachel!
Old 10-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #38
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Minnie sure was sweet on Chase!!

I'm willing to brave the loud, napkin waving, music blaring restaurant for those cheesey potatoes!!! I love some different options at breakfast buffets beyond the usual breakfast potatoes and those sure caught my eye!! We usually stay all or part of our trips at CR/BLT so I see the crowds every morning that we pass through the concourse and have never been interested in dining there - until now! PLUS.. that was awesome that the kitchen made an omelet for your DS.

Thanks for the great review Rachel!
Minnie was actually sweeter on Brian than Chase. She came up behind him and suprised him with a big kiss on the cheek.

The cheesey potatoes really were great. Chef Mickey's had the breakfast potatoes too, but these were so much better. The waitress actually overheard us talking about how disappointed we were that omelettes weren't available and offered to have one made for Chase. That was good customer service.

Rachel
Old 10-07-2012, 10:51 PM   #39
NoOrdinaryPrincess
DIS Veteran

Love your Chef Mickey's review! The photo of your son is adorable!

I've eaten at 98 out of 245 restaurants at Walt Disney World (40%)
NoOrdinaryPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:16 AM   #40
AvasMommy526
Mouseketeer

We are doing Chef Mickeys for our first breakfast, I think DD will love the characters and my hubby (and I) will love those cheesy hashbrowns lol!
Great review, Minnie is so sweet

AvasMommy526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #41
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOrdinaryPrincess View Post
Love your Chef Mickey's review! The photo of your son is adorable!
Thanks so much, he is a cutiepie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvasMommy526 View Post
We are doing Chef Mickeys for our first breakfast, I think DD will love the characters and my hubby (and I) will love those cheesy hashbrowns lol!
Great review, Minnie is so sweet
I hope you have a great time at Chef Mickey's.

Rachel
Old 10-08-2012, 05:49 PM   #42
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

THE PLAZA

After our big breakfast at Chef Mickey's we decided to skip lunch and have an early dinner at the Plaza before Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party. We just got in the door before a torrential downpour happened!

We eat at the Plaza almost everytime we visit WDW since we genuinely like the food. Even though it is a small, sometimes noisy restaurant, we like the atmosphere better than the CS places at MK and it really isn't that much more expensive when we have the TIW card.

The Plaza really isn't known for it's great service. We've eaten there enough to be able to judge the accuracy of this statement. I can't say we've ever had great service there. My expectations are low based on previous experiences. This time our server was Jasmine. I remembered having her before since she does share the name of a Disney princess. But this time she was much better than my memory, still not great service but good enough.

Brian had complained most of the day with his stomach because of his gluttonous behavior at breakfast. So he decided to just have soup. He ordered what Jasmine called potato soup, but he was even more pleased to see this, what I would call Loaded Potato Soup, with cheese, bacon, and chives on top.

potato soup from the Plaza by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

I tried a bite of this and it was delicious. And I considered it a bargain for Disney food at $4.49 for the bowl.

Chase ordered the Club Sandwich, no turkey or tomato. So I guess that makes it a ham and bacon sandwich. He always orders this when we eat at the Plaza and it has never failed to please him. Plus the french fries are awesome.

Club sandwich from the Plaza by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

I got the same thing I always get too. We are so boring. The Strawberry Chicken Salad is one of my favorite things to eat at MK. I love the vinagrette. I always thought it was a strawberry vinagrette, but Jasmine told me it was raspberry. Whichever fruit it is, I totally love it and wish I could get it at home. I also love the fresh tasting cucumber. I like to imagine they were grown over at the Land pavilion.

strawberry chicken salad from the Plaza by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

Since we were trying to wait out the rain, Brian decided to order dessert. He ordered cookies and cream ice cream expecting a scoop in a bowl, but was pleasantly suprised when this little beauty was delivered to the table.

Oreo sundae from the Plaza by Smiling Cheshire Cat, on Flickr

Chase and I had major ice cream envy so Brian was kind enough to share. This was SO very good. We've had Plaza Sundaes before, but I think this one, with the cookies and cream ice cream, was the best we've ever had.

This was one of our best experiences at the Plaza and there's no question we will be back, hopefully sooner than later.

Next up: Le Cellier lunch, Canadians really do make the best burgers!

Rachel
Old 10-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #43
jabead
DIS Veteran

Great review of the Plaza, Rachel! Your salad looks and sounds delicious and that sundae...WOW!!! We haven't been to the Plaza since 2006, and I'm thinking it's about time for a return visit.

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - #3
- and - APRIL 2014 REVIEW - My Solo Birthday Trip

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #44
DonaldDoleWhip
DIS Veteran

The strawberry chicken salad and oreo sundae look great! I've never been to The Plaza, but maybe it would be worth a try sometime.
DonaldDoleWhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:21 AM   #45
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Plaza Restaurant is one of my newer favorites. We've only ordered burgers but I would love to try something new so the soup and your salad are some great alternatives! I still might have to order a side of fries though since I LOVE their fries.

Ice-cream is a great way to wait out a storm!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: