Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #31
Callie
Always Dreaming of Disney Magic

Its a new state law.
And yes we have been spoiled, but it still doesn't make it any easier. Thankfully my mom is about to retire.
Its a harder blow for her considering shes basically been a single mom our entire lives with not a single amount of support. She's amazing. But this newest change has her stressed to the max.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:27 AM   #32
minnie56
Whatever it is, he said it is prone to these pits
We iced it last night
And Fanny's your Aunt"

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabanafrau View Post
So the Canadians I bump into at the doctor's office on a routine basis are mythological? I had no idea.
Oh jeez, please don't get it going...
minnie56 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2012, 08:32 AM   #33
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie56 View Post
Oh jeez, please don't get it going...
Isn't this a discussion board? Am I missing something?
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:34 AM   #34
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
Isn't this a discussion board? Am I missing something?
It seems that every 3-4 days, we get a thread that starts out harmless enough, but ends up into a Canadian healthcare vs. American healthcare debate. I think most people are just asking that this not be one of those threads.

[/url]
JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:40 AM   #35
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran

I haven't seen any of this discussion here. Maybe we need a sticky explaining some of these more obscure rules.
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #36
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAHDad View Post
No, it is possible due to new laws - if OP lives in a state where laws were changed regarding collective bargaining of public sector workers, then yeah, new laws would have meant changes to the health insurance.
And even if she doesn't, state budgets are driving a lot of these cuts. A lot of districts are looking to previously generous benefits (given originally to make up for the lousy pay, but that seems to have been forgotten these days...) as a place to cut as their funding declines.

We've been dealing with much worse in regard to our own insurance plan, but I still have a lot of sympathy for what teachers are dealing with. It is hard enough getting a very expensive education to make peanuts, now they're finding that the two "sure thing" upsides of the job (health insurance and retirement) are getting pulled out from under them as well. I know quite a few teachers who are wishing right about now that they'd gone into just about any other line of work. Low pay was fine when it was in line with low contributions to health insurance and retirement, but not so much now that the trend is towards comparable-to-private costs for benefits.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #37
Social Worker Sue
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callie View Post
A visit to a urgent care clinic is now $40, when it was free after the deductibles.
Regular doctor is $20 co-pay. Same as above, free after deductible.
This is awesome! Your mom is so lucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callie View Post
Our deductible also got MASSIVE!
Not to mention this new plan costs about 21% more than the old one.
What do you consider massive? And, I know that my sister (also a teacher) pays very little for her healthcare plan. If it went up 21%, she would still be paying less than most Americans.

So, tell your mom she is a Lucky Duck
Social Worker Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #38
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
And even if she doesn't, state budgets are driving a lot of these cuts. A lot of districts are looking to previously generous benefits (given originally to make up for the lousy pay, but that seems to have been forgotten these days...) as a place to cut as their funding declines.

We've been dealing with much worse in regard to our own insurance plan, but I still have a lot of sympathy for what teachers are dealing with. It is hard enough getting a very expensive education to make peanuts, now they're finding that the two "sure thing" upsides of the job (health insurance and retirement) are getting pulled out from under them as well. I know quite a few teachers who are wishing right about now that they'd gone into just about any other line of work. Low pay was fine when it was in line with low contributions to health insurance and retirement, but not so much now that the trend is towards comparable-to-private costs for benefits.
I so agree with the bolded. And it's not just teachers, it's all public sector workers including fire, police, etc.

Also, when you are living on a certain budget and then your coverage changes and you have to change your budget with no raise in many years (and less pay to begin with), it can be a struggle. I hate the well I have it so much worse than you posts. How do you really know?
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:52 AM   #39
JennaDeeDooDah
My oh my what a wonderful day!

Quote:
I haven't seen any of this discussion here. Maybe we need a sticky explaining some of these more obscure rules.
LOL. Not a bad idea. Actually, those discussions get quite heated.

[/url]
JennaDeeDooDah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:54 AM   #40
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post

Yup, that's what a lot of people seem to be ignoring. Public sector jobs have generally been lower paid than in the private sector. It was the benefits that made these jobs attractive. As benefits are being erroded they are becoming more in line with the private sector but not the salaries are still lower.

Generally speaking of course.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:55 AM   #41
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Dolly View Post
Also, when you are living on a certain budget and then your coverage changes and you have to change your budget with no raise in many years (and less pay to begin with), it can be a struggle. I hate the well I have it so much worse than you posts. How do you really know?

Because this is the same thing we have all been dealing with, only it started years ago for us.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:56 AM   #42
jrmasm
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Dolly View Post
I so agree with the bolded. And it's not just teachers, it's all public sector workers including fire, police, etc.

Old 10-05-2012, 08:57 AM   #43
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post
Yup, that's what a lot of people seem to be ignoring. Public sector jobs have generally been lower paid than in the private sector. It was the benefits that made these jobs attractive. As benefits are being erroded they are becoming more in line with the private sector but not the salaries are still lower.

Generally speaking of course.

But not true in very many areas of this country! It has been years and years since the public sector salaries have been lower in the area I live now or where I grew up or lived after college. It just isn't true in vast areas of this country.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:59 AM   #44
Princess Dolly
Unfortunately it encroached the danger zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
Because this is the same thing we have all been dealing with, only it started years ago for us.
No, your pay/salary was probably higher to begin with.
Princess Dolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:01 AM   #45
jrmasm
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
But not true in very many areas of this country! It has been years and years since the public sector salaries have been lower in the area I live now or where I grew up or lived after college. It just isn't true in vast areas of this country.

Really? I'd love to see numbers showing that in most area of the country public and private sector pay is equal.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: