Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
smilie
Mouseketeer
The Tag Fairy wants to know why you aren't in school? Aren't you 16? ;-)
Married to a taco arsonist!
WoW Widow

Bronchitis-how long until I feel better?

I went to the doctor last Friday and was told I have Bronchitis. She gave me a z-pack and prednisone. I took my last antibiotic pill on Tuesday and finish up my prednisone tomorrow. How long until I feel better? I still have pressure in my chest and feel extremely congested. I've never had bronchitis before so I'm not sure how I should be feeling.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Andtototoo
DIS Veteran

It took me 2 weeks to be back to something approaching normal. I think I would have healed better if I hadn't tried to resume my normal activities/schedule about a week into it.

But if your chest still feels bad after you've finished the pred, make sure you call the doctor.
Andtototoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #3
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

If you aren't feeling well and your prescriptions are finished, go back to the doctor for a refill a.s.a.p. My second case of bronchitis was so icky, I had to go back for a second round of antibiotics. Don't wait, go!
Old 10-04-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
ADisneyQueen
DIS Veteran

Are you also short of breath going up stairs? You may need an inhaler for a week or two. That is what they gave my dd last winter when she was still having symptoms. Also, maybe your antibiotic isn't working for you.
Christmas 2009-CBR and RI Seaworld,June 2012-POP
Aug 2013- CSR and AOA
ADisneyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
shortbun
Peacenik

I'd be calling my doctor early tomorrow morning to try to get in. They need to make sure you haven't evolved into pneumonia. Perhaps a breathing treatment is in order if your chest is still tight. Is your cough productive? If not, definitely get into the doc because an unproductive cough is a real sign of pneumonia. Best to get checked after a week anyway. Don't risk getting worse.

USE IT UP, WEAR IT OUT, MAKE IT DO OR DO WITHOUT.

IF YOUR UPKEEP EXCEEDS YOUR INCOME THEN YOUR OUTGO WILL BE YOUR DOWNFALL.
shortbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

It takes a while. But I agree you should be feeling a bit better, as long as your are not trying to do too much too soon.

The weird thing with bronchitis is that you will feel ok, and once you start to move around you feel horrible again. I'd go see the dr again, maybe they can give you a stronger antibiotic. When I looked up the one they give me it is also given to anthrax patients. So I'm guessing it is strong!

I hope you feel better soon!
Old 10-04-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
monkeybug
I feel safer when I know where they are than I do when they're crawlin' around unknown

You should go back to your doctor to get re-checked, but I think that many cases of bronchitis are viral and just have to run their course (with the help of inhalers). That may be why the antibiotics didn't seem to help.
monkeybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #8
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeybug View Post
You should go back to your doctor to get re-checked, but I think that many cases of bronchitis are viral and just have to run their course (with the help of inhalers). That may be why the antibiotics didn't seem to help.
Now that you mention it, my dr usually gives me a steroid shot to start things off in the right direction. Maybe you need that too OP.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #9
HappyDznyCamper
Happily camping since 1972
Was a witness to the great tag fest at the Fort!

Quote:
This^^^ Took over a month to mostly clear up, but any extended time or activity in cold dry(winter) air often irritated my airway and started me coughing again. An inhaler and nonnarcotic cough meds(tesselon pearls(sp?)) were my best friends.
HappyDznyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #10
Ephany
DIS Veteran

I know I got sick around Thanksgiving and didn't really feel better until January. I had very intense finals that term and I was pretty sick. Had the shot in my rear along with a whole bunch of other prescription goodies (oddly enough, no inhaler). I didn't give myself time to get better, so I think my recovery was longer than it should of been.
Ephany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 07:59 AM   #11
SharonZ
DIS Veteran

You've been on medication for less than a week and sometime bronchitis takes a few weeks until you really feel better. I know that the z-pac continues to work after the last dose is taken. In February, I went through two rounds of steroids and antibiotics, and an inhaler and it still didn't help. They ended up admitting me to the hospital so that I could have breathing treatments around the clock. Wait and see how you feel after the weekend. Did they do a chest x-ray?
SharonZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:04 AM   #12
kellyg403
She changes friends like she changes underwear
NEVER GO INTO THE BOWELS OF HELL aka teenager bedroom WITHOUT TURNING ON THE LIGHTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephany View Post
I know I got sick around Thanksgiving and didn't really feel better until January. I had very intense finals that term and I was pretty sick. Had the shot in my rear along with a whole bunch of other prescription goodies (oddly enough, no inhaler). I didn't give myself time to get better, so I think my recovery was longer than it should of been.
This is what happened to me. No inhaler, but the shots and then a zpack and cough meds for home. I did well after the first couple days and then 9 days later in was back full force. I couldn't climb stairs without getting winded, so I slept downstairs. I had a really hard time with any physical exhertion as it took my breath away it seemed. I went back on day 14 and ended up with an inhaler, more antibiotics and couple more shots. Sometimes it hangs on. Mine ended up as pnuemonia.

If you don't feel well still and have any type of issues with being short of breath go back. It doesn't hurt.

Kelly
kellyg403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #13
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.

I got it xmas day last year. 3 antibiotics and 4 prednisoe doses later in March I was finally over it. Just keep going back to the dr if you don't feel better as you end a dose. Bronchitis can wipe you out and knock you down for sure.
katrina1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:09 AM   #14
Jaime4004
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Most cases are viral. If it is bacterial, you should feel a little better, but either way it can take weeks. If you are worsening, more short of breath, fever, etc, you should definitely see your doctor again.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: