Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 04:40 PM   #16
mydisneymoney
Prince Alex's Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary09 View Post
How do we even know about scrappers?

It seems like if a company as powerful as Disney gives an offshore manufacturer a large contract, they would be able to control the release of non-spec, Disney merch? Or is it too small of potatoes for them to concern themselves with, given the pin trading was intended more for fun than anything (I'm guessing)?
I think the only way they could stop it would be to manufacture in the US. So basically they are looking at a couple issues. Manufacture in the US which will make them have to raise the price they charge for a pin which in turn will most likely turn a lot of people away from buying pins because of the cost. The other option is to keep manufacturing in China and hope people will be honest and not buy or trade scrappers. I have seen some good fakes and some really bad fakes. The good ones are often so good that most people and CMs quickly looking at it are not going to tell it is fake. Even then the bad fakes are often not picked up on. There are so many pins out there that a CM is not going to know that Mickey's hat is suppose to be dark green instead of lime green.
mydisneymoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 04:41 PM   #17
thankudrivethru
Mouseketeer

Scrappers are also different in color then the real pin itself and have small differences.
thankudrivethru is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-04-2012, 05:33 PM   #18
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashlotte View Post
... If the pins I ordered are fake, I can't trade them in good conscience, but I hate to wrongly accuse someone or tell my kids they can't keep their pins if they are just fine.

Anyone have any experience with this to share? It is all new to me.
What I've done with my Scrapper and Counterfeit pins is cut the pin backs off them and glued some strong magnets to the back using epoxy and made some really nice refrigerator magnets out of them
Old 10-04-2012, 05:34 PM   #19
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaw

What I've done with my Scrapper and Counterfeit pins is cut the pin backs off them and glued some strong magnets to the back using epoxy and made some really nice refrigerator magnets out of them
Good idea!
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:41 PM   #20
marcemc
I wouldn't be able to handle such fluffliness either

This is new to us, the boys have been trading pins with CM the past few days
Old 10-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #21
xtyr
Earning My Ears

We just returned from the parks and The first trip my boys traded. I definitely noticed the CMs had a lot more scrapers on their lanyards than in previous trips (2008 & 2010). My boys don't know (or mind) but it does bother me.
xtyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #22
Eddygirl
Mouseketeer

Ya...the whole scrapper thing was news to me before our first trip. I bought a lot of pins from Ebay for the kids to trade and when they arrived they just did not look right. I also did not really know how much the pins were new, and from the description from the seller I did not think anything would be wrong. I researched and holy moly....news to me!! Who would really expect someone to be selling fake or counterfeit DISNEY PINS???? Ya....did not know how popular pin trading is! I reported to isney, reported to Ebay and filed a Paypal claim. Seller was not happy with me!

After researching I found reputable ebay pin sellers, paid more for the pins and the kids had a blast trading with the CMs. When 1/2 the pins they ended up with were obvious fakes/scrappers I was kinda cheesed and felt bad for my kids....then I realized they LOVED their pins. They both had a theme of what they were collecting so it was a lot of fun to search for their pins. I made peace with their fake pins. lol!!!!!

We just came back from our second trip. I again researched, found good sellers, paid more for the pins and the kids had a lot of fun again. This time the scrappers/fakes were closer to 3/4 they ended up with....but oh well. They had fun and I, in good conscience, know we did not add to the scrappers/fakes floating around on the CM's lanyards.
Eddygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:28 PM   #23
lurpee
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elaw

I will be doing this with my scrappers! Excellent idea!

lurpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:37 AM   #24
mydisneymoney
Prince Alex's Mom

If you are not into trading for the investment but rather fun for your family, then keeping a scrapper for your collection is perfectly fine. But knowly trading a scrapper is not IMO. So I am careful to make sure the pins I take to trade are real and if my DS trades for a scrapper but loves it, then that is all that matters.
mydisneymoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:58 AM   #25
KateDrake
DIS Veteran

The issue I have here is that I honestly cannot tell the difference between the scrappers and the real pins. Probably because I'm a novice and am not into collecting, we are just doing it for fun. I've heard all the tips about the color, the imprint on the back, etc. but I still have no idea. What do you guys suggest? We don't trade with anyone but CMs, because we really aren't serious about it. But I would feel bad trading a scrapper to a CM, which then ends up with someone else. Right now I'd say we are at about half and half with pins we have purchased in the parks and ones we have traded.

So what do you all suggest? Just bag trading entirely? Just continue as we have, trading with CMs? Or is there kind of a divide, where if you are doing it just for fun, scrappers are OK, but obviously serious traders would verify authenticity? Any tips would be much appreciated.
KateDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:20 AM   #26
Mary09
Mouseketeer

It seems like if scrappers should ethically be removed from trading, that should be on the backs of the CMs (assuming people aren't trading with other park guests). I know I'm not going to go through my daughter's pins and try to make some appraisal to save a CM from getting some sub-standard pin which we got from a CM in the first place. But we don't care if we get a scrapper, either.
Mary09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:23 AM   #27
ktlm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateDrake View Post
The issue I have here is that I honestly cannot tell the difference between the scrappers and the real pins.

. I've heard all the tips about the color, the imprint on the back, etc. but I still have no idea. .
I think it can be hard to tell. I feel that way sometimes too, and I have tried to figure out if any of DD's pins are scrappers. We have one pin that I'm positive is a scrapper. DD got it from another little girl she made friends and traded with at WDW. It is one of her favorites, though, so as long as she is happy it is fine, even though I know she traded a real pin that I bought her at WDW for it. We won't even take it with us on return trips to DL or WDW, because I wouldn't let her trade that one since I know it is a scrapper.

However, there is another pin DD has that looking at it, I would swear it is a scrapper. To me, the colors look off. I would also bet that anyone that got it would think it was a scrapper. I 100% know it is real though because DD picked it out at the pin store at DL, and I bought it directly from the store.

I wouldn't bag trading entirely. I would just continue as you have been, trading with CMs. Let your kids trade for what they want. If they like a pin and want to keep it, then who cares if it is a scrapper. If you are sure one of your pins is a scrapper, then pull it out and don't let them trade it.
ktlm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #28
elaw
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateDrake View Post
The issue I have here is that I honestly cannot tell the difference between the scrappers and the real pins. Probably because I'm a novice and am not into collecting, we are just doing it for fun. I've heard all the tips about the color, the imprint on the back, etc. but I still have no idea. What do you guys suggest? We don't trade with anyone but CMs, because we really aren't serious about it. But I would feel bad trading a scrapper to a CM, which then ends up with someone else. Right now I'd say we are at about half and half with pins we have purchased in the parks and ones we have traded.

So what do you all suggest? Just bag trading entirely? Just continue as we have, trading with CMs? Or is there kind of a divide, where if you are doing it just for fun, scrappers are OK, but obviously serious traders would verify authenticity? Any tips would be much appreciated.
It takes a little bit of research but Pin Pics is probably your best resource ... the following link gives examples of what to specifically look for to help determine whether or not you may have a scrapper or fake/couterfeit. Of the 6 pins for this set. I had gotten 3 scrappers, so when I went to replace them I knew exactly what to look for and eventually got all genuine pins (from a CM hip lanyard at disney quest ... they had all 3 I needed) http://www.pinpics.com

Good pin is on the left

Last edited by elaw; 10-05-2012 at 10:44 AM.
elaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #29
elaw
DIS Veteran

I usually get the first pin from a given set and do some research via my smartphone before making anymore trades .... that way I'm aware of what to look for with subsequent trades. I've also limited my trades to mostly non hidden mickey/cast lanyard pins. It's a tough call to say ... I still enjoy the hunt ... but now its a 2 part hunt. Find the pins you are looking for is the first part of it ... and making sure its genuine is second part. It sort of makes it even more rewarding when you find it.

Last edited by elaw; 10-05-2012 at 11:08 AM.
elaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #30
thankudrivethru
Mouseketeer

CM's that trade pins, most of what they get from the park guests they don't know of they are real or fake, they do not inspect them.
thankudrivethru is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: