Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-03-2012, 10:53 AM   #2371
okeydokey
Frosty the Snowman scared me as a child
It will always be beautiful no matter what it looks like naked
 
okeydokey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: N. Florida
Posts: 8,784

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
I don't blame him one bit. Do you think the big wigs were very kind to him after he blew the whistle on Sandusky? Do you think they made his job very easy on him. NO. I'm sure this guy took tons and tons of heat over his actions
He didn't blow the whistle. He watched a young boy being anally raped and turned and walked out. He walked out and left that poor baby there.

I just can't ever get past the fact that he walked away.
okeydokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:25 PM   #2372
cabanafrau
DIS Veteran
 
cabanafrau's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: michigan
Posts: 4,884

Sadly it looks like the UK & the BBC are grappling with a case very analogous to the Sandusky Penn State ugliness in many ways. A revered public figure now deceased, knighted by the queen no less, hero for his charitable work, has been accused by several victims of sexual assaults dating back decades. There is talk that this has been openly rumored for decades as well, including allegations involving attacks at the BBC, sometimes with celebrities partaking. A BBC news program was investigating the situation but dropped the project several months ago & that decision is being questioned also.

The best result to come out of the Penn State mess, and the BBC case also if proven to be true, would be to review any & every detail possible to determine the facts of what happened, how the culture of fame, wealth & power may have helped the assaults to continue, put the information out into the public domain & seek ways to number one convince the public to speak out loudly if they see or hear anything and number two, look for ways to make it more appealing for cogs in the machine to speak out rather than keep quiet.
cabanafrau is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-03-2012, 12:45 PM   #2373
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat
 
Deb in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Iowa City, IA (that's IOWA, not Idaho or Ohio)
Posts: 15,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
I don't blame him one bit. Do you think the big wigs were very kind to him after he blew the whistle on Sandusky? Do you think they made his job very easy on him. NO. I'm sure this guy took tons and tons of heat over his actions
He never blew any whistle.

Under subpoena in a Grand Jury investigation, he finally came clean after keeping quiet about it for all these years.
__________________
Deb

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #2374
castleview
I'm on my 103rd attempt to grown my bangs out
I'm too impatient with the skillet
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,283

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
I don't blame him one bit. Do you think the big wigs were very kind to him after he blew the whistle on Sandusky? Do you think they made his job very easy on him. NO. I'm sure this guy took tons and tons of heat over his actions
Seriously? Walk away then. Go get another job if your soul is being sucked by the lack of inaction. How you can defend him is just ridiculous.
castleview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:29 PM   #2375
happygirl
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 18,180

Quote:
Originally Posted by castleview View Post
Seriously? Walk away then. Go get another job if your soul is being sucked by the lack of inaction. How you can defend him is just ridiculous.
That your opinion.
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:34 PM   #2376
Sanchez
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 884

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
That your opinion.
Opinions should be grounded in fact. It does not appear that yours is when you refer to this guy as a whistleblower.
Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #2377
wvjules
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 13,225

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
That your opinion.
That reply doesn't even make sense.
__________________
2014 DIS Book Challenge


I read 36 of 25 in the 2013 DIS Book Challenge
Killing Jesus * Things We Set on Fire * 12 Years a Slave * A Home for Christmas * Heart Shaped Box * Abducted * Beautiful Ruins * When I Found You * John * Entwined in You * Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children * Losing Hope * Zoo * A Moveable Feast * The Paris Wife * The Light Between Oceans * Inferno * We Need to Talk About Kevin * Under the Dome * Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7) * Shopaholic Ties the Knot (Shopaholic, #3) * Shopaholic Takes Manhattan (Shopaholic, #2) * Confessions of a Shopaholic (Shopaholic, #1) * Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (Harry Potter, #6) * One Second After * Into the Darkest Corner * Before I Go To Sleep * Reflected in You (Crossfire, #2) * The Perks of Being a Wallflower * Bared to You (Crossfire, #1) * Defending Jacob * Hopeless (Hopeless, #1) * Rush Home Road * On the Island * The Fault in Our Stars * The Glass Castle

wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #2378
crashbb
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,479

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
Opinions should be grounded in fact. It does not appear that yours is when you refer to this guy as a whistleblower.
True.

One can have an opinion on whether or not he should have blown the whistle (though I have major trouble seeing how anyone could argue that he shouldn't have), but you cannot have an opinion on whether or not he did blow the whistle. That is a fact (and he didn't).
crashbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:44 PM   #2379
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat
 
Deb in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Iowa City, IA (that's IOWA, not Idaho or Ohio)
Posts: 15,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by happygirl View Post
That your opinion.
I think it would all help us out if you could explain, happygirl, just what Mike McQueary did that, in your eyes, makes him a whistle blower?
__________________
Deb

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:21 PM   #2380
christineann
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 2,763

He saw a child being brutally raped and did nothing to stop it. I can't imagine any adult with an ounce of compassion would even think for a second about whether to stop the attack. Job or no job and even out of concern for one's own personal safety, I would think that instinct would kick in to save the child immediately (and that doesn't include making noise so the rapist would know someone was there).
christineann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:37 PM   #2381
WebmasterAlex
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Plymouth, MA
Posts: 10,929
DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb in IA View Post
I think it would all help us out if you could explain, happygirl, just what Mike McQueary did that, in your eyes, makes him a whistle blower?
He testified in front of the Grand Jury and because of that a lot of the media is calling him a "whistle blower" and saying he filed a "whistle blower lawsuit"
Obviously one can argue whether or not that makes him a whistleblower but everyone else lied
I think a lot of people are letting the fact that he witnessed a rape and did NOTHING, an absolutely disgusting act color their view of the entire situation. There are a lot of sub plots here. Is there a possiblity he was punished by the school for telling the truth on the stand? Sure but he'll have to prove it.
Here's a quote from a reporter covering the trial:

"And at the Sandusky trial, he never overstated what he witnessed. The jury found McQueary so believable they convicted Sandusky of four of the five charged counts, specifically, following McQueary’s testimony. It was his word that even led to the acquitted charge, which would’ve required proof of actual penetration, something McQueary repeatedly said he didn’t see

No, Mike McQueary didn’t do enough to stop Jerry Sandusky. No, he didn’t scream loud enough about what he saw. What he did though was more than any other person at Penn State did for a long time. While McQueary ranks extremely low on the list of victims of the Sandusky case, he was affected.

He’s out of work. He’s out of money. He’s out of his career. He’s out of Penn State’s support system even as the school pays for the defense of Curley and Schultz.

He alleges, in his whistleblower suit, that Spanier’s publicly and privately stated “unconditional support” for Curley and Schultz essentially branded McQueary a liar and ruined him. It claims his employer picked sides and killed his career and reputation. All he's ever done, he said, was tell the truth. And now he's paying for it. "
__________________
Alex

webmasteralex@wdwinfo.com
No Tag, No Signature.....no Need
WebmasterAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #2382
Deb in IA
Knows that KIDS are better than cats
When do we leave for that nice long Hawaii vacation?
I'm a wimp, and I don't like food that hurts to eat
 
Deb in IA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Iowa City, IA (that's IOWA, not Idaho or Ohio)
Posts: 15,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebmasterAlex View Post
He testified in front of the Grand Jury and because of that a lot of the media is calling him a "whistle blower" and saying he filed a "whistle blower lawsuit"
Obviously one can argue whether or not that makes him a whistleblower but everyone else lied
I think a lot of people are letting the fact that he witnessed a rape and did NOTHING, an absolutely disgusting act color their view of the entire situation. There are a lot of sub plots here. Is there a possiblity he was punished by the school for telling the truth on the stand? Sure but he'll have to prove it.
Here's a quote from a reporter covering the trial:

"And at the Sandusky trial, he never overstated what he witnessed. The jury found McQueary so believable they convicted Sandusky of four of the five charged counts, specifically, following McQueary’s testimony. It was his word that even led to the acquitted charge, which would’ve required proof of actual penetration, something McQueary repeatedly said he didn’t see

No, Mike McQueary didn’t do enough to stop Jerry Sandusky. No, he didn’t scream loud enough about what he saw. What he did though was more than any other person at Penn State did for a long time. While McQueary ranks extremely low on the list of victims of the Sandusky case, he was affected.

He’s out of work. He’s out of money. He’s out of his career. He’s out of Penn State’s support system even as the school pays for the defense of Curley and Schultz.

He alleges, in his whistleblower suit, that Spanier’s publicly and privately stated “unconditional support” for Curley and Schultz essentially branded McQueary a liar and ruined him. It claims his employer picked sides and killed his career and reputation. All he's ever done, he said, was tell the truth. And now he's paying for it. "
Thanks, Alex, for answering for happygirl.
I know the facts of McQueary's role, but I don't see his actions to be that of a whistleblower.

As others have pointed out, he could have physically stopped an ongoing rape - and he did nothing.

A true whistleblower would have gone, on his own, to the authorities after being initially stymied by Curley, Schultz and Paterno, instead of just going along with the code of silence.

A true whistleblower would have acted out of his conscience - not only when under oath in a grand jury investigation.

In that respect, he is just as guilty as Paterno/Curley/Schultz for keeping Sandusky's actions unreported for such a long time, and allowing him to continue to molest, over and over and over.
__________________
Deb

"Children are our most valuable natural resource."
- Herbert Hoover, 31st President, native of West Branch, Iowa
Deb in IA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:34 PM   #2383
christineann
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 2,763

DebinIA, I agree totally.

A witness for the prosecution? Okay.

A "whistleblower?" No.
christineann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:41 PM   #2384
WebmasterAlex
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Plymouth, MA
Posts: 10,929
DISboards Administrator

Well there's the moral definition and the legal one

In 1986, the Pennsylvania Legislature enacted Pennsylvania’s “Whistleblower Law,” declaring it unlawful for any employer to “discharge, threaten or otherwise discriminate or retaliate” against an employee in compensation or in terms or conditions of employment because the employee has made, or is about to make, a good faith report to the employer or to an “appropriate authority” about an instance of “wrongdoing or waste.” The Act, codified at 43 P.S. § 1421, et seq., also renders it unlawful for an employer to discriminate or retaliate against an employee because he or she has been requested by an appropriate authority to participate in an investigation, hearing or inquiry regarding the employer’s alleged wrongdoing or waste.
__________________
Alex

webmasteralex@wdwinfo.com
No Tag, No Signature.....no Need
WebmasterAlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #2385
Wadecool
DIS Veteran
 
Wadecool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Elizabethtown, KY
Posts: 4,137

This guy truly is the devil incarnate.

Sandusky's statement:

http://deadspin.com/5950202/evaluate...his-sentencing
__________________
Wadecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: